Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Immortal Leaders: Are they dead or alive?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Immortal Leaders: Are they dead or alive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Immortal Leaders: Are they dead or alive? - 1/19/2001 10:42:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

I’m playing the final battles of U2R campaign. During the actions into the Hurgten Forrest two of my units were completely destroyed: one recon and one tank that were with me since the Normandy landing. Although the new leaders that replaced the dead ones have different names and no kills on their scores, they have a very high level of experience and morale: Tanker has an experience of 95 and a moral of 90 and recon infantry an experience of 92 and a moral of 98. This is far to be the US average range for 44 (70&70). May be I was lucky and my replacements are veterans who come from another company... ... or ... Could be possible that the immortal leaders are still alive? A dead leader change his names and loss his kills but keeping his experience and moral rankings? Experience and moral are the key issue that have to change in order that those dead men rest in peace... Any body else had the same problem? Best Regards Gallo ------------------ No Pasarán!!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
Post #: 1
- 1/19/2001 2:15:00 PM   
Fredde

Yes, I had a non-pleasant encounter with a guy named only 'Hummel' and nothing more. Also, the leader of one of my SS rifle platoons suddenly switched place with the sergeant commanding the 50 mm mortar.. leaving the artillery NCO in command of the platoon and the 2nd lt commanding the mortar.. since the sgt got artillery knowledge and the lt inf only this is no good combination . It doesn't seem as frequent as before though. I should also add (before someone asks), i have upgraded to 4.5.. [This message has been edited by Fredde (edited January 19, 2001).]

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 2
- 1/19/2001 5:21:00 PM   
Falder

Im my ww2 campaign as the germans two of my best engineer squads (experience over 100) were wiped out by soviet artillery . A you understand my greif were immense. I replaced them as new engineers, to my surprise their experience were again over 100 and their morale close to 100. What a joy . A bit strange though, but I am not complaining. Fredrik

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 3
- 1/19/2001 7:53:00 PM   
jorlando

just a guess: maybe the game makes a substitution from a dead veteran with a new soldier with the same (or close) statistics... Something if a experienced commander is reassigned to substitute a deceased one, and they send a commander with the same talents than the other...

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 4
- 1/19/2001 8:04:00 PM   
adantas

If I'm not wrong I saw a topic about this and someone told that if the crew or squad don't lose all your members, the second man in rank will be promoted to lead the AFV/squad..etc. So, if this is true its supposed that this surviving man has almost the same exeprience and moral levels that the deceased one. -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 5
- 1/20/2001 3:42:00 AM   
Dagobert

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adantas: [B]If I'm not wrong I saw a topic about this and someone told that if the crew or squad don't lose all your members, the second man in rank will be promoted to lead the AFV/squad..etc. So, if this is true its supposed that this surviving man has almost the same exeprience and moral levels that the deceased one. So do you think this happens when a squad or crew is dispersed? Playing U2R and noticing my replacements coming in at a very high level.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 6
- 1/20/2001 5:01:00 AM   
rexmonday

I'm still soldiering through a British long campaign which I have been playing in spurts since one of the really early versions. In this it is now common place for a unit to be destroyed and the replacement (from the fix/upgrade screen) to retain the same level of experience, morale, and command (infantry/arty/armour) ratings as the dead unit. The kill count does appear to be resetting normally, but apart from this it looks like the unit is just coming back to life. This makes the later stages of the campaign a strange exercise - I have a platoon of sappers who despite each squad having been killed off several times, still manage to find replacements with an experience level of about 120...

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 7
- 1/20/2001 7:50:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

I suspect that Camapigns designed under an older version of spwaw contain this error. Has anyone tried a long Camapign with current 4.5 and seen this? ------------------ MarauderMel

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 8
- 1/21/2001 12:29:00 AM   
Fredde

Hmm, should be in the game itself and not in a specific scenario or campaign.. i believe anyway. But perhaps it can stick around in some way.. [This message has been edited by Fredde (edited January 20, 2001).]

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 9
- 1/23/2001 3:38:00 PM   
Igor

Y'know, I was thinking about this while plugging through a perfectly good assault game...darned if I know why...and here's my read on what's happening. Given medical support, roughly a third to half of the men "lost" are back to the unit within two days, on the average. This is guys who split, wigged out, suffered minor wounds, etc. By the time the next battle rolls around in a long campaign (a month later), you could well get back around two thirds of your losses (the rest are dead, invalided out, or going to be gone so long they'll be reassigned). This being the case, you're not getting uberreplacements; your getting your old squad back with a few new faces. Ok, it kind of breaks down when the old squad was captured (or when your ace sniper was offed by a 152mm howitzer scoring a direct hit over open sights); but by and large you don't see ten new faces when you "lose" a ten man squad even if it was eliminated to the last man. [This message has been edited by Igor (edited January 23, 2001).]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 10
- 1/26/2001 4:43:00 AM   
David F. Wall

I think we still have some variation of this phenomenon. I just had an US Army Arm Inf Squad get wiped off the map in a U2R battle(being caught between two MG42s can ruin your week) and when I repaired the unit, the new Sergeant had no kills but 100 experience. This is better than the rankless wunderkinds that used to show up, but it's still a divergence from expectation, and it allows you to be reckless with vets without paying a price. Anyone else observe this? DFW

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 11
- 1/26/2001 4:52:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Igor: ... Given medical support, roughly a third to half of the men "lost" are back to the unit within two days, on the average. This is guys who split, wigged out, suffered minor wounds, etc. By the time the next battle rolls around in a long campaign (a month later), you could well get back around two thirds of your losses (the rest are dead, invalided out, or going to be gone so long they'll be reassigned).... [This message has been edited by Igor (edited January 23, 2001).]
Igor, Your explaination makes sense although I do not know if it is the reason the code behaves the way it does. (It might be a bug that has some rational basis). However, I would like to see some support that has some experience too. I'm Germany, playing the USSR, '42. ALL my ground support is green! (I'm not sure about arty). That does not seem realistic. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 12
- 2/1/2001 8:04:00 AM   
Igor

Quote However, I would like to see some support that has some experience too. I'm Germany, playing the USSR,'42. ALL my ground support is green! (I'm not sure about arty). That does not seem realistic. /quote It isn't. For some reason, the Luftwaffe is set to produce second line troops (ten experience below campaign norm). I went straight to the editor, and reset the ground support formation type from second line to elite (ten points above normal). The planes cost more; but those early war Stukas aren't a pathetic joke any more.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Immortal Leaders: Are they dead or alive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI