Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for an opponent?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> Looking for an opponent? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for an opponent? - 4/25/2012 9:01:00 AM   
Ashcloud

Are you thrashing your AI relentlessly? Do you need a real challenge? Why not take on some real player opposition? Join the Blitz!

At The Blitz (http://www.theblitz.org) wargaming club we support over 100 PC games in these categories:
Ancient Wars, Black Powder, Campaign Series, Combat Mission (and Combat Mission: Battle For Normandy), Grigsby Ops, Operational Art of War, Sea and Air Combat, Squad Battles, Steel Panthers, Tiller Operational Campaigns and more.

TheBlitz.org has a competitive ladder system and player ranking, custom scenario database, tournaments, decorations and achievement awards, after action reports (AARs), and an active online forum community.

The Blitz has players of all skill levels, many of whom are willing to encourage and instruct newcomers. Take your wargame skills to new levels and experience the games as they were meant to be played.

You can also contact me personally, either here (on my profile) or at TheBlitz.org - if you need any more help or information.

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/25/2012 7:20:34 PM   
noissy

Equally, come join the ''The Wargames club for Gentlemen''
A user-friendly site where everyone is welcome to apply for
membership. Membership is monitored purely to help eliminate
the 'few' that cause disruption on forums, ensuring a more
friendly community.
Click on the link and take a look -

http://www.ww2wargamesclubforgentlemen.com/

(in reply to Ashcloud)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/25/2012 10:15:03 PM   
noissy

At The WARGAMERS CLUB FOR GENTLEMEN (http://ww2wargamingclubforgentlemen.com) wargaming club we support all PC games in these categories:
Ancient Wars, Black Powder, Campaign Series, Combat Mission (and Combat Mission: Battle For Normandy), Grigsby Ops, Operational Art of War, Sea and Air Combat, Squad Battles, Steel Panthers, Tiller Operational Campaigns and anymore that members require.

TheWGCG.COM has a competitive ladder system and player ranking, tournaments, decorations and achievement awards, after action reports (AARs), and an active online forum community.

The WGCG.com has players of all skill levels, many of whom are willing to encourage and instruct newcomers. Take your wargame skills to new levels and experience the games as they were meant to be played.

http://www.ww2wargamesclubforgentlemen.com/

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 12:38:13 AM   
CarnageINC

Really!?!....spammers spamming spammers.....Really?!? 

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 12:50:52 AM   
Aurelian

Groucho Marx line, “I wouldn’t join any club that would have me as a member”.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 12:59:29 AM   
CarnageINC

Starting your own thread is fine, but trying to highjack another spamming thread is just down right hilarity.  And the fact that were highjacking a highjacker is even more funny!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 1:00:19 AM   
Michael T

that is v funny Aurelian LOL

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 1:09:34 AM   
Aurelian

I'm here all week. Try the veal...BA DUM DUM..

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 2:04:12 AM   
Michael T

Let me tell you a story about the Blitz wargaming club. Before I start I will say that many of the people who run it are ok and the vast majority of members are ok. But watchout for the bad eggs.

I joined the Blitz around 2006 I think and started playing HPS Panzer Campaigns. I only played CG games and avoided what I considered one-sided scenarios. After a while I had built an impressive record on their ladder system and I started to attract some attention. I accepted a challenge from a guy who to cut a long story short used a modified weather table without my agreement or even knowledge. As the game went on I suspected a problem with the weather and wondered if he was using a modified weather chart. He admitted he was but he did it unwittingly and it was an oversight. I claimed that the game should be called invalid and should be discontinued as I felt the modified weather chart helped his cause considerably. He disagreed. We took the case to the ladder custodian and pledged our case. The ruling went in my opponents favour and he was awarded a victory, I did not even have the option to continue the game.

I certainly cried foul. I was warned that continuing such behaviour would see me banned.

Some time later while playing another game I suspected an opponent was cheating. I was convinced after doing a statistical analysis of his combat results he was cheating me. I lodged a complaint. To cut a long story short the same ladder custodian and a well respected player (who now is a ladder custodian) both did their own analysis and came to the same conclusion. After this, and only after this I decided I would crack open one of the cheaters save game files he sent me and see exactly how he was doing the cheating. I then forwarded the results to the two guys looking in to the case.

Fully expecting them to ban the other I was totally shocked to find myself banned for cracking open an opponents file!! I appealed to higher commanders but all to no avail. I must say the other guy was banned as well. But can you believe he is now an administrator at another club!

Even the club rule they banned me on was not broken. The club rule said that no player should open another players file for nefarious gain. Obvious to any reasonable person I did not do that.

A few other things. At the time I was playing this ladder custodian in a game and was kicking his arse. He was moaning how unbalanced the game was we were playing. Never mind we had agreed to a mirror. I think the guy was jealous of my ability and had his sights on me since I crossed swords with him about the weather chart thing.

There is a culture at the blitz where a certain group of admin dudes think they are running some kind of militant boys club. If you don't toe the line and bend over for them and their cronies you will get kicked out.

Some admin guys are very fair minded and good people like Rick Bancroft. But there are some real **&UNJYTB$%$** there that spoil it.

This is why I have only played server games with WITE and why CM BfN appeals to me now. The chances of getting cheated are so much less.

I am sure the blitz has many happy members. It's great when you have good ladder custodians. But if you don't toe the company line or suck up to the bosses be ready to be booted.

I am going to check out the gentlemen's club. It sounds ok.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 6:19:26 AM   
noissy

Wholly understand Michael! Same as my experiences and same conclusions about that club.
Even worse, when certain guys do wrong, if they are part of the 'boys club', they appear
to get away with it.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 10
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 7:35:24 AM   
Michael T

I concur. At least I know now it wasn't just me.

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 11
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 8:14:56 AM   
Ashcloud

I am not a spammer, theblitz.org is a non-profit club and receives no profit from spamming - merely looking for new members on the websites of the games we support.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 8:16:31 AM   
Ashcloud

Hi Michael,

I am sorry you had such an unpleasant experience - did you accuse your opponent of cheating on the forums?

Regards,
Ashley

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 8:18:05 AM   
Ashcloud

theblitz.org honor is held in the highest esteem.

< Message edited by Ashcloud -- 4/26/2012 10:14:44 PM >

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 14
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 9:08:37 AM   
Michael T

@Ashley

No I did not accuse anyone on the forums at any stage. This is the first time I have publicly aired my grievance. There was an actual staff member who supported my cause but he was also threatened with expulsion. So he let it go. Other former opponents and friends who knew of my situation also supported me but were not prepared to risk there own membership to support me on the forums. There wasn't much I could do as my posting rights were blocked as soon as the ban was enforced. I had no way to appeal for help bar emailing the bosses, who were plainly bent on kicking me out. I even had support from HPS themselves. It left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Regards
Michael

(in reply to Ashcloud)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 6:17:18 PM   
noissy

Ashcloud, - I merely abbreviated the club name to save my fingers  www.wgcg is not my site
as you will see below in my signature.

Michael - That's the problems I found too. There seems to be a regime there that will not allow
any discussion on disreputable members unless the mods do it all behind the scenes. They tend to
treat 'adults' as kids and hide matters under a cloak of secrecy, as I see it.
When certain 'veritable' members have bad form, they seem to have a 'cooling off ban' for a month
then, on their return become moderators and officers!

I set my site up to give folk an alternative site where members can debate in a relaxed atmosphere
and there will not be any 'behind the scenes' activities that will be hidden from members, everything
will be out in the open.
I like to look at the club as a 'virtual family'.
I'd rather have a few members who enjoy the site and get on and enjoy each others' debating than,
a couple of hundred members where I have to deal with a bunch of problem makers. That is the main
reason I require members to register, ''to separate the wheat from the chaff''.  

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 6:21:35 PM   
Ashcloud

There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.

< Message edited by Ashcloud -- 4/26/2012 10:24:39 PM >

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 8:00:19 PM   
johnnyvagas

Oh Brother.  Is this thread for real?

(in reply to Ashcloud)
Post #: 18
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 9:53:13 PM   
Tarhunnas

Well, a couple of opponents seem to have found each other...

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to johnnyvagas)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/26/2012 10:16:39 PM   
Ashcloud

Sun Tzu said: Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted.

(in reply to Ashcloud)
Post #: 20
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/27/2012 2:57:28 AM   
RickyB

Spammers, ouch. I will say that when the Blitz added support for War in the East, we talked with Joel Billings and Sean Drummy about it and coordinated things between us for the ladder and marketing. I don't recall now but I think it was Sean that first posted about the Blitz here. I did a some postings about us a year ago, but it was under the more general game topic, rather than here under opponents. Ashley has stepped up on all of the Blitz games and is trying to get the word out again, but it is with Matrix foreknowledge rather than a pure spam attack, sorry if some of you thought that. Having been a Matrix forum member for more than a decade and having worked on the War in Russia remake that they released, I wouldn't want to cause conflicts with them, and we have tried to keep a low profile overall, just like to keep the knowledge out there for new forumites.

And good to see you again Michael, even if you are taking my name in vain, LOL. Anyway, I can't add much to Michael's description of what happened, so I will just offer that there is more to the decision making at the Blitz, it is all volunteers that have stepped up to do things, lots of discussions and disagreements happen, as with any group, and we do the best we can as a group but with a lot of it under the covers it can be hard to judge. Really, I just suggest that if you want to be a part of a club, there are a number of choices, some with ladders as with the Blitz and the Club for Gentlemen, others without ladders just to enjoy discussing games, and everything in between. No need to be on a ladder really. There is nothing stopping people from trying out all the choices if desired and going where they are comfortable.

Happy gaming to all, if you want to check out the Blitz see you there also.

Regards
Rick

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to Ashcloud)
Post #: 21
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/27/2012 11:37:21 PM   
noissy

I am not a spammer, the wargamers club for gentlemen is a non-profit club and receives no profit from spamming - merely looking for new members on the websites of the games we support as well!

theblitz.org - honor is held in the highest esteem.

Just had a post from another site member decrying me and my site, now one of my members that's on the other site can't log-into mine? Heck what a coincidence!
He's on this site as well. Honour? - kiss my ass!
Others on my site know where I'm coming from and a fair few are pee'd off at the way they were treated elsewhere as well as me. The true assholes are constantly protected, that's why you should
consider a friendlier site.
Next day we'll have another mocking video appear, everyone knows who you are HSL !

(in reply to RickyB)
Post #: 22
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/28/2012 2:20:42 AM   
RickyB

quote:

ORIGINAL: noissy

Just had a post from another site member decrying me and my site, now one of my members that's on the other site can't log-into mine? Heck what a coincidence!
He's on this site as well. Honour? - kiss my ass!

Not sure why you feel you must attack so much Pete. And is this for real? Somehow the BLITZ can prevent your members from logging into your site? Any clue how that would be possible? I would like to know as there is money to made by being able to control someone else's site.

Rick

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 23
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/28/2012 7:42:32 AM   
noissy

I'm not saying another site is interfering with my site,
but someone from another site posted on mine and a member
of mine suddenly has a problem logging into my site. He
feels he was hacked. I've also had anonymous e-mails sent to
me of a nasty nature. A few of my members have had the same
experience as Michael T had at the Blitz.
Perhaps the site has honour at it's forefront, unfortunately
that doesn't apply to a certain member.

(in reply to RickyB)
Post #: 24
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/28/2012 5:59:15 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

I am not a spammer, the wargamers club for gentlemen is a non-profit club and receives no profit from spamming - merely looking for new members on the websites of the games we support as well!

theblitz.org - honor is held in the highest esteem.
The true assholes are constantly protected, that's why you should
consider a friendlier site.
Next day we'll have another mocking video appear, everyone knows who you are HSL !

Peter, I wish you well with your venture. No need to personally attack me here (on a forum that I do not frequent) or even attack The Blitz as a whole.

I am still perplexed that Matrix has not banned you for your two loggin accounts. Just like the Blitz banned your Noissy account after you tried to go back there.

Be a gentleman?
Glint/torpoint/noissy/panzerpuss/The Master and whomever else you may be in the future.

Just keep my name out of your mouth.
Your problem is that you cannot deal with "a fact spoiling your theory". You go "postal" and flail away at everyone but the true culprit ... YOU!
In the end you reap what you sow?
You seem a paranoid old fool?

I hope your club succeeds beyond all expectations. If you are having problems with it you may want to upgrade your security. Every new site gets hacked, spammed, and attacked. There are a lot of hackers in the "East" who do that on a regular basis, just for fun.

BTW, Michael I am sorry for your experience. I do not know the details, I do not know you at all, but I have seen things like that happen. Wish you success in your future gaming.

There were/are many member bannings that I did not agree with. Though, Peter's is not one of them. His was the most righteous and most justified. Sadly, it came years too late.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 25
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/28/2012 6:18:56 PM   
RickyB

quote:

I'm not saying another site is interfering with my site,
but someone from another site posted on mine and a member
of mine suddenly has a problem logging into my site. He
feels he was hacked. I've also had anonymous e-mails sent to
me of a nasty nature. A few of my members have had the same
experience as Michael T had at the Blitz.
Perhaps the site has honour at it's forefront, unfortunately
that doesn't apply to a certain member.

So now you say it is an individual that by logging into your site may have hacked another of your member's so he can't log in any longer? That is even less possible, I would think. This individual, who obviously has nothing to do with the Blitz as a whole, could hack your site and cause either infections or problems logging in, but it would be via your site, not directly to some other person. But why you say that because you suspect a Blitz member of causing problems like this (no idea about posts, videos, whatever else you are saying) means the Blitz as a whole is "bad" or lacks honor/honour is a bit tough. No problems with beefs about us, Michael has his and is welcome to discuss them, but to paint the entire club due to a small handful of members that you personally conflict with is unreasonable, I feel.

As to individuals that are members of the Blitz, the Gentlemen's Club, etc, they all have a few bad applies, we have a few thousand active members at the Blitz and I know there are some that cheat, and some that are a**es, and the vast majority that are good guys, but I try to get along with all, myself. And some of our thousands are members of your site Pete. I am sure you will have your own share of problem members in time, even with your screening, but best of luck there.

But for others, realize the above and see for yourself. By the way, you can always visit the Blitz and observe most everything as a guest, so you can look before you try, if you will.

Rick

< Message edited by RickyB -- 4/28/2012 6:20:48 PM >

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 26
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/28/2012 8:57:30 PM   
noissy

Well Ricky,

here's a member application I received shortly after publicising my site on a couple of other sites, from
a Mr.Smith. note -

QuestionAnswerFirst Name:Mr.Last Name:SmithE-mail:abcdefg@hij.comSubject:Your ClubYour Message:''A club run by someone who calls himself "The Master", with locked forums and game reporting, secret / obscured member listings, and members required to give their real names and surrender their passwords to "The Master" is a dictatorship that will attract few players. Who wants to operate in such an environment? I give this club 6 months before you pull the plug on it.''

Just in the last day or so, Mr.Smith registered on my site's forum, I left it open for all to be welcome. He did this just to post a derogatory thread about me. Then
one of my members who has admin rights got hacked or compromised. All sorted now and unfortunately, I've had to change the settings to authorise new members.

From checking out matters and, the familiarality of the comments on the thread, it was obvious who the guy is. Only someone who knew me on the other site and has a record of his past attacks on me and others that earned him bans, along with one for meddling with my personal files at the past site, others know his history.
So yeah, Ricky, all sites have their bad apples and, as one of my members said, why doesn't the guy deal with it and let live, what's the problem?

Oh Ricky, and one way we differ is, I don't try to get on with the assholes, just the good guys, makes for a better club.

Ed - thanks for the good wishes but, hypocrites? Jeesh! Just keep upsetting members, it'll increase my membership. All publicity is good publicity! But some old fools don't see it!

Oh, btw, you lost the bet on lasting six months too, I've paid up for a year so far !

< Message edited by noissy -- 4/28/2012 9:01:56 PM >

(in reply to RickyB)
Post #: 27
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/28/2012 10:48:50 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

Ed - thanks for the good wishes but, hypocrites? Jeesh! Just keep upsetting members, it'll increase my membership. All publicity is good publicity! But some old fools don't see it!

Oh, btw, you lost the bet on lasting six months too, I've paid up for a year so far !

Once again, I'd appreciate it if you would just leave me out of your mess. I only posted here because you attacked Ash and I knew you'd soon enough attack Ricky.

Your paranoia will be your own downfall?
If this slight is to accuse me of tampering with your website, forums, or any scenarios that you had at The Blitz you are more than paranoid, you are outright crazy. I did no such thing. But, you do not believe things even after you are told or shown they are not so?

Enjoy your club. Stay there. BTW, I did not think it would last three months, let alone six. Your arrogance will consume it and you may be paying for the website for naught.
Still. I wish you well with it. Though, it seems you want to use it as a wedge to pry members from The Blitz?

RR

< Message edited by MrRoadrunner -- 4/28/2012 10:50:48 PM >

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 28
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/29/2012 12:02:03 AM   
noissy

Oh give it a rest Ed. Me paranoid? You gotta be kidding!
I haven't attacked Ricky. I concur with someone else's post and he does with me.
So, are you telling me you didn't add comments to my personal files at the Blitz ED?
If you deny it, you are an outright liar. an action contrary to the rules of the Blitz yet, you
still survive there. Much like Michael T's story I guess. Oh and another member of
my site who got banned for revealing a cheat in public on the forum. You forget, I've had e-mails from
moderators which, if I revealed the contents, would expose the truth about a certain
site, no name's called of course. Do me a favour and vaporise in your own obnoxious gases.
If my site fails in the end, I'll be happy I did what I did. At least I tried to set a site up that would be a
haven from troublemakers. I guess on that basis alone, I'll have to renew the site membership next year.
Are you so arrogant that you believe you can belong to a site and tell other members to stay away from
sites?
My arrogance is non existent. My site has members because they feel free in an environment that has no
disruptive members and, I will do my best to keep those ignorant assholes that disrupt other clubs, out of
my club.
Please Ed, desist, you just keep promoting my site and give the best reasons for people to join it. Oh! no,
don't desist, your doing me a favour still ! 

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 29
RE: Looking for an opponent? - 4/29/2012 1:41:06 AM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

So, are you telling me you didn't add comments to my personal files at the Blitz ED?
If you deny it, you are an outright liar. an action contrary to the rules of the Blitz yet, you still survive there. Much like Michael T's story I guess. Oh and another member of my site who got banned for revealing a cheat in public on the forum. You forget, I've had e-mails from moderators which, if I revealed the contents, would expose the truth about a certain site, no name's called of course.

Of course I don't deny your accusations. Why would I waste the time or effort?
You were a poor player, terrible scenario designer, and lousy debater. You put scenarios in the data base to record points for yourself. You used a stunt method to gain those ladder points?
My comment was that you did just that, and how could any one else gain ladder points if the could not play your scenario?

Like I said, you won't let facts interfere with your theories.

And, for your info I defended Phil, behind the scenes, to the point of being almost "banned" again. Phil took himself down the road of dismissal just as you did. Both, according to Blitz officers are not going to be changed. Funny how that happens?

Had you and your filthy paranoid mind been banned from the club long ago I would not have the stain of so many bans on my record anyway? LOL!

Waste your money how you wish. It is your money?

RR

(in reply to noissy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> Looking for an opponent? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI