Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Off Topic. About Other Games.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 4/21/2012 11:12:36 AM   
ilovestrategy

I am playing Ultima 6 and Storm over the Pacific.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 31
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 4/21/2012 12:49:45 PM   
jlevans

Anyone tried Star Ruler?

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 32
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 4/21/2012 4:04:35 PM   
Shark7

ATM been playing Star Wars TOR. Also been hitting some WiTP:AE intermittently.

Kinda waiting to see whats in the next DW update before starting a new game there.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to jlevans)
Post #: 33
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 4/26/2012 3:28:29 PM   
Blueberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: jlevans

Anyone tried Star Ruler?

Yes. That's what I've started playing few days ago. Pleasantly surprised to be honest. Refreshing. Much, much better than Sins of Solar Empire. The ship design is an absolute blast. Impressed. SR is an ice cream... DW is a chocolate cake....

.... I love chocolate.

(in reply to jlevans)
Post #: 34
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 4/26/2012 9:38:11 PM   
msnevil

Fallout trilogy.

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 35
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/1/2012 2:11:33 AM   
tjhkkr

Okay, since there is a forum here about other games: has anyone played Star Wars the Old Republic? Is it a strictly MMO game OR is there an option to play solitare?
Thank you!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 36
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/1/2012 4:05:57 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Okay, since there is a forum here about other games: has anyone played Star Wars the Old Republic? Is it a strictly MMO game OR is there an option to play solitare?
Thank you!

Google would have answered this, but its an MMO, and contains all the usual requirements for that type of game. meaning no single player.

also, is anyone else following the development of Endless Space? looks pretty sweet

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 37
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/1/2012 7:18:58 AM   
WiZz

Sadly, but not a lot of info available about this game. Difficult to say what game will come.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 38
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/1/2012 8:37:46 AM   
wodin

Great to see CoE 3 popular. Those who enjoy that I suggest you save and go buy Dominion 3 NOW!!

I'm playing CoE3, Dom 3, CK2, the demo of Steel and Iron, testing Tigers Unleashed and had a bash at Toy Soldiers though I doubt it will keep me entertained for to long oh and a bit of SPAZ.

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 39
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/1/2012 1:41:26 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95
also, is anyone else following the development of Endless Space? looks pretty sweet

I would like to know more about it but I will probably pre-order the Emperors Edition.
I here the pre-order could start this week on Steam!

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 40
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/2/2012 6:20:40 PM   
mbar

Pre-Orders for Endless Space are open!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/

With DW getting an expansion too, this is a good year for space 4x.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 41
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/2/2012 9:30:15 PM   
drillerman

quote:

Pre-Orders for Endless Space are open!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/

With DW getting an expansion too, this is a good year for space 4x.

Bought the emperors version from steam! Plays very nicely, very stable, looks great, UI is nicely done if slighty quirky!. Really enjoying it atm. Absolutely well worth a look for £20! Very professionally done, on par with AAA products at double the price.

Huh?

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 42
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/2/2012 9:48:24 PM   
J HG T

I was sceptic, but on the fence about the Endless Space when I first saw it. After noticing it on Steams news today and watching the trailer I'm very, very interested. Probably will pre-order it in a day or two. Looks really polished for an 4X.
Been playing SoaSE: Rebellion BETA and Shogun 2, but a great turn-based 4X is something I haven't played for a loooong time.

To those who have played it: Does it play somewhat similar to SotS? Turn-based empire management with real-time combat? My only worry is that combat is too much emphasized like in SotS, making the empire management a bit simple and dull. That was my only real complaint about SotS.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 43
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/2/2012 11:50:04 PM   
adamsolo

I wouldn't compare it much with SotS but more with MoO2 or GalCiv2. Combat is way less tactical as SotS, Sins, MoO2 but more cinematic like GalCiv2 combined with a few (but probably still important) decisions you can make during the different combat phases. It's a new combat system. At least one I don't remember seeing in a 4X game.

So, combat unfolds in real-time (your decisions have an affect) but is mostly cinematic. I'm still digesting the combat system, have a few mixed feelings about it. But it's too soon to tell yet. And the game is still on Alpha, although one easily forgets about it due to the quality the game build already offers.

I have a first look preview of Endless Space on my blog that I've just published by the way, in case you're interested.

< Message edited by adamsolo -- 5/3/2012 12:34:30 AM >

SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 44
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 6:15:52 AM   
drillerman

Hi Adam
Yeah nice write up. Been dabbling with the game also. I like the combat system as it makes you feel more of a decision maker and less of a "Q" like god

Huh?

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 45
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 7:01:46 AM   
J HG T

Thanks for the tip Adam!
The game sure looks and sounds good. Gonna pre-order it today and see how it is myself.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 46
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 9:25:26 AM   
adamsolo

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Hi Adam
Yeah nice write up. Been dabbling with the game also. I like the combat system as it makes you feel more of a decision maker and less of a "Q" like god

Thanks! Yea, I guess combat will grow on me also with time. And, as long as it doesn't get way too repetitive, that is with different camera shots offered, perhaps have a choice to choose different cameras or have full freedom as combat director I think it will be ok.

SpaceSector.com

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 47
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 9:30:13 AM   
adamsolo

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Thanks for the tip Adam!
The game sure looks and sounds good. Gonna pre-order it today and see how it is myself.

You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. I'm also interested to read what you think of it.

SpaceSector.com

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 48
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 1:14:22 PM   
drillerman

quote:

Thanks! Yea, I guess combat will grow on me also with time. And, as long as it doesn't get way too repetitive, that is with different camera shots offered, perhaps have a choice to choose different cameras or have full freedom as combat director I think it will be ok.

As it's Alpha we can assume that they'll reading the feedback and adding more ship models, more cameras and expanding on the combat. It is however, a great starting point.

Huh?

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 49
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 2:58:05 PM   
2guncohen

Im playing the following games the last couple of weeks.

1. I am replaying Emperor Of The Fading Suns and even mailed Holistic that they have to consider to search funds from concepts like kickstarter to relaunch the game.
2. World of tanks => IS4 grinding ...
3. MoO2
4. Legend Of Grimrock

And now I alm Fascincated about Endless Space ^^ Ill have to skim youtube for some good ingame footage now.

( I have to reinstall Starruler one of these days i buyed it when it was still in beta and did not played it again since then )

< Message edited by 2guncohen -- 5/3/2012 3:07:52 PM >

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 50
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 3:39:49 PM   
Moltrey

I just saw Endless Space on Steam last night- looks quite intriguing.

Lately I have been playing Lord of the Rings Online which is quite doable solo (thank goodness). Minecraft when I don't have a lot of time or brainpower to spare. My friends and I are starting to use Google+ Hangouts to play our Pathfinder RPG game. There are tools available to use as a virtual tabletop and character sheets. I looks like it will work pretty well for people separated who want to game together. Just need a webcam basically.

My other list of games is a bit long, but mostly dabbling with Shogun 2, Out of the Park Baseball 13 and a couple of other oldies. Like a lot of you, real life is looming large in my rearview mirror right now...

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 51
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 4:31:30 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen
I have to reinstall Starruler one of these days i buyed it when it was still in beta and did not played it again since then )

Give SR another try. It has improved greatly. Scouts are automated and the galaxy map gives much more useful information at a quick glance.

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 52
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 5:01:44 PM   
J HG T

Well, pre-ordered Endless space, intalled alpha, played for about 50 turns as Sophons (Yeah, the egg-heads of Endless Space) and enjoyed every minute of it.
Must say, for an alpha version, this game has huge amount of potential. Especially if what I've read about upcoming features and other stuff that will be added before full release is true. Endless Space is more than cabable of becoming another worthy 4X. Very much waiting for the full version.

First of all, the audiovisuals are excellent if you consider that this is an "indie" game. Art style is clean, beautiful and unique enough.
The game mechanics seem well balanced and not too microing-heavy. Inspirations fom Civs and Alpha Centauri are clear, but as I haven't played Civs much that doesn't bother me in the least. And copying from
Alpha Centauri is the best kind of copying if you ask me.
UI works very well once you get used to it, which should not take long.

The battles sure are something different if you are used to RTSs or turn-based fights. In the first battle I was pretty much like "what the heck I'm doing?", but no later than in the second battle I understood the concept fully and honestly started to like it quite a lot. Mainly because it's just something new and different. In a nutshell, I'd say it's like three-phase rock-paper-scissors with customizeable ships, possible heroes and variety of tactics cards deciding the outcome. I can see that some/many people may not like it, but I definetly won't be one of those people.

The only thing that bothered me was a bit simplified diplomacy screen. But, as this is alpha I won't raise a storm in coffee-cup (I don't like tea. Don't ask).

Bottom line: Can't wait to play the full, finished version with all the features. 2012 seems to be a great year for 4Xs and space-strategy. If c. 20€ don't hurt your future survivability in any way, and you love 4Xs, I'd say go for it.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 53
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 5:28:10 PM   
adamsolo

Nice overview, thanks. I agree that battles felt like "What a hell is happening?" in the first or so encounters but it has the potential to be good. Now, I guess when/if there are more camera options then it can be ok. Right now as the shots are always the same it can become way too repetitive and even annoying (where was the auto-resolve button again?). But I'm not rushing into conclusions on combat, it's too soon.

SpaceSector.com

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 54
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 10:34:29 PM   
Tophat1815

Hmmmn.............so Star Ruler or Endless space?

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 55
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/3/2012 11:29:32 PM   
Jaimoe_MatrixForum

Is SotS2 playable yet? I bought it when it first came out and it was such a mess that I haven't touched it since.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 56
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 1:01:39 AM   
ASHBERY76

In my opinion both SOTS and DistantWorlds really added innovation to the space 4x genre in different ways in recent times.I am liking the ES beta build as a possible solid traditional style 4x but I see nothing new in the game mechanics and I am very skeptical about the combat models long term fun value.They also seem to make a big deal about the dust but to me it is just money with a different name,heh.

(in reply to Jaimoe_MatrixForum)
Post #: 57
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 1:41:03 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

In my opinion both SOTS and DistantWorlds really added innovation to the space 4x genre in different ways in recent times.I am liking the ES beta build as a possible solid traditional style 4x but I see nothing new in the game mechanics and I am very skeptical about the combat models long term fun value.They also seem to make a big deal about the dust but to me it is just money with a different name,heh.

supposibly later in the game you are supposed to be able to play dust cards in combat, but i haven't gotten that far in the game yet

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 58
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 1:44:14 AM   
Falokis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Hmmmn.............so Star Ruler or Endless space?

Star Ruler.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 59
RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. - 5/4/2012 2:31:51 AM   
JosEPhII

Civ IV BtS Mod Caveman2Cosmos. What CiV should have been.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Off Topic. About Other Games. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI