Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this similar to the Combat Mission series?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 1:39:49 PM   
Tzar007

Never played the Conflict of Heroes boardgame, but I used to play a lot of the Combat Mission series: Berlin to Barbarossa, Afrikakorps and really loved it a lot, so if Conflict of Heroes is similar to CM, I may be a buyer...

Any comments from those who played Combat Mission?
Post #: 1
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 2:19:52 PM   
Titanwarrior89

The combat mission series is much deeper.....this one is more like a lite boardgame. 

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 2:31:20 PM   
major.pain

Someone who enjoyed the origional combat mission games i would say you would feel at home playing this. I never played the boardgame myself niether but liked the look of how it played from watching varios videos ect. How it plays you have more control to get yourself out of the **** if a move goes badley not having to sit and watch the rest of your minute turn play out while hurling abuse at the monitor.
Only played around with the small scenarios so far though so not sure how it would compare with combat mission with the larger scale scenarios.

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 6:00:35 PM   
blastpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

The combat mission series is much deeper.....this one is more like a lite boardgame. 

I haven't played the computer version of CoH yet, but in terms of game play, my take is CoH is more complex. I play the board game and while it plays smoothly there are a lot of complex interactions under the hood that the player directly manipulates. It appears to be a simple system but when you add all the elements into a big scenario the interactions become a lot more delicate and complex in the board game version. The guys from my gaming group then try and mull over all the options and it leads to analysis paralysis (timer needed). With the computerized version I can't judge what impact the UI has on the equation.

For me CM games are fairly intuitive and once you learn the UI (to me it isn't "complex") though the background algorithms you don't see may be very complex.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 6:09:56 PM   
robc04_1

I don't think the two games are similar. CM uses a WEGO simultaneous turn resolution, modeling different weapons and such. Conflict of Heroes is more abstract I think. I can see people enjoying both games (I do), but I wouldn't say they are similar.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 6:59:41 PM   
Hertston

Nope, not similar in any meaningful way. For something (much) more CM-like try Panzer Command or Achtung Panzer. Or just buy CoH anyway; it's terrific

(in reply to robc04_1)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 8:31:37 PM   
Binko

I agree, tactical games like this are not really suited for a campaign. To me, this is like wargame chess with tons more variables and atmosphere.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? - 5/9/2012 9:41:12 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I enjoy both games...but this one so far is alot of fun.  The Bug river scenario is pretty good-I won my first game on the bug, after losing the first three.  A good game to play between turns of WitpAe.  One question though, it seems that you can build hasty defense's on trenches.  Is this true?  Anyone....if so why?

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Binko)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Is this similar to the Combat Mission series? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI