Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First impressions pls?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> First impressions pls? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 3:46:41 PM   
jjdenver

First impressions pls for those who have already purchased. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:11:20 PM   
laika

Well i have it and tryed the tutorial. It feels great and thats all i can tell you for now. Well there is one thing you need to know. You need to love Bach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJD3dL4diY
This is some ingame music and well i like it.

So far so good.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 2
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:31:56 PM   
tgb

I played a couple of moves of the first tutorial, which is the same as the beginner's AAR already posted. I find chits easier to see than 3-D sprites, which is why I use them. If there was an option for sprites on bases like the Strategic Command games, that would be perfect.

Right now my only complaint is rotating the map with the rt. mouse button is a little hinkey. Going to have to check the manual to see if there is a way to do it with the keyboard.

(in reply to laika)
Post #: 3
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:32:08 PM   
raizer

Ive got the game set up right-runs fine on my laptop.
One thing I cant seem to select other units. I left click on the first unit and Im good to go-double left click and all the aps goto 0, signifying spent unit I assume but Im unable to select addtl units from my side by left clicking. Not sure why this is.

Seems the esc key will also drop activated units to 0 aps. I cant activate other units lol-Im sure its something simple

< Message edited by raizer -- 5/8/2012 4:34:24 PM >

(in reply to laika)
Post #: 4
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:39:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: raizer
One thing I cant seem to select other units. I left click on the first unit and Im good to go-double left click and all the aps goto 0, signifying spent unit I assume but Im unable to select addtl units from my side by left clicking. Not sure why this is.
Seems the esc key will also drop activated units to 0 aps. I cant activate other units lol-Im sure its something simple

Did you turn off the default "Persistent APs" option? If so, then the game will function in the Classic APs mode, where switching units reduces your APs to 0. The default Persistent APs mode does not do that.

I have no issues selecting other units here - but if you turn the persistent mode off, then only the Escape key deselects your current unit, to avoid accidentally deselecting and losing your APs. Please see the readme for more information on this option.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to raizer)
Post #: 5
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:39:59 PM   
Joram

quote:

It sounds like you have the 'classic' AP mode enabled. In this mode, you move one unit at a time until that unit has expended all it's APs. You have to hit 'escape' I believe to be able to select another unit. But beware that once you do that, that units APs go to zero whether you have used them all or not.

(in reply to raizer)
Post #: 6
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:40:27 PM   
Joram

You beat me to the punch Erik, lol.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 7
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 4:43:48 PM   
raizer

yep esc moves the ability to select addtl units with classic aps which are from the old bear rules-
yep that did it-looks like the pc game gives you real flexibility with you being able to retain APs btwn units, instead of the board game, where if you want to goto another unit and just use simple APs, you have to spend that unit.

Game looks good-Ive got the group fire all figured out. The multi player lobby looks good too as Ive been there and my FOG user name and pw flipped right into this game

So for so good

< Message edited by raizer -- 5/8/2012 5:05:10 PM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 7:22:37 PM   
rickier65

It's been quite a while since I bought a game on the day of release (last one was Panzer Command Kharkov I think). But I jumped on this one based on the AARs posted here.

Just finished downloading and just a few plays into the tutorial, but it looks like this will be nice addition to my game library. I won't be able to play much today, but hopefully I'll spend some more time with it tommorrow.

I haven't played the board version of this so I'll spend some reading the manual!

Thanks!
rick

(in reply to raizer)
Post #: 9
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 7:46:09 PM   
Hanal

quote:

I'm glad to read that it runs well on your laptop as this was a concern, and I plan on doing the same. I hope you do not have an Alienware gaming laptop but a good run of the mill type. I have a Toshiba Satellite, and so far it has handled every game that I threw at it....

(in reply to raizer)
Post #: 10
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 8:09:18 PM   
Scott Parrino

JP, I tried out CoH on my Lenovo B570 laptop, if you bring all the details down and the resolution a bit, it is definitely playable. Take in mind it isn't a beast of a laptop and meant to be used for work, but it gets the job done. The larger maps with a lot of units usually gave my laptop a little bit of a fight.

Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 11
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/8/2012 8:14:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

If you are on the low end in terms of system specs, try the Medium or Low Resolution modes from the game menu. The game will still look pretty good, but should use quite a bit less memory. You can also turn off the quality options like multi-sampling and anisotropy in the in-game options. We made a lot of performance improvements during the beta and made as many performance improving options available to the player as possible. COH runs well on our low, medium and high end test systems.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Scott Parrino)
Post #: 12
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 2:10:29 AM   
raizer

I turned the shader to simple and now the game flys...all i need. I have it on high res and just use the chits with simple shading.

Also, guys this game is for multiplayer-trust me on this. The AI can in no way match a person when it comes do dumping cards/holding them and this will hold true with caps. I think this is an awesome multiplayer game.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 12:55:04 PM   
Javolenus

I was looking forward to this game and bought it on 8 May. My first impressions are very favourable: I was able quickly to get started, without much manual-reading; the GUI is clear; having the option of playing with 2D counters is cool--I like that; the opening scenario ("Partisan") is well designed; the flow of the game is great and suits my tastes very well. I never played the board game but I've recently decided that I like PC versions of board games--I mean, more than dedicated PC games! And so this game is ideal for me. I'm very happy with it--many thanks to the dev team!

(in reply to raizer)
Post #: 14
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 2:35:35 PM   
tigercub

i just want to know if there is a campain?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 15
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 2:38:19 PM   
ericbabe

There is no campaign right now, but this is something we're definitely looking at doing for an expansion or sequel.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 16
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 3:12:16 PM   
tigercub

would only buy if there was a campaign...i will keep a eye on it

Thx

Tigercub

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 17
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 5:40:56 PM   
blastpop

I'm sure they could add a campaign. Having said that, I play the board game and the historical scenarios included are pretty self contained and some fairly meaty. The lack of a campaign at this point would not deter me from purchasing it this point. A note of full disclosure- I have not purchased it either- just saving my $$$ to purchase.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 18
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 6:29:32 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javolenus

I was looking forward to this game and bought it on 8 May. My first impressions are very favourable: I was able quickly to get started, without much manual-reading; the GUI is clear; having the option of playing with 2D counters is cool--I like that; the opening scenario ("Partisan") is well designed; the flow of the game is great and suits my tastes very well. I never played the board game but I've recently decided that I like PC versions of board games--I mean, more than dedicated PC games! And so this game is ideal for me. I'm very happy with it--many thanks to the dev team!

What he said.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 19
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 7:13:46 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub
would only buy if there was a campaign...i will keep a eye on it

I wouldn't get too hung up on that; the game isn't really suited to it and wouldn't benefit much from its inclusion. Certainly as far as carrying favourite units forward and such; forget it, unit destruction is frequent and dependent on widely varying 'dice throws'. CoH is designed around single scenarios, as befits a board game, and multiplayer rather than against the AI.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 20
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 10:37:01 PM   
Lützow

Still sitting on the fence and waiting for some negative feedback. Like: "too simplistic", "cannot match the original" or "no replay value". Lack of criticism usually means that either a game is quite perfect or - more likely - nobody cares about it.

In addition: if Matrix refrain from a playable demo I want at least watch some Youtube footage tutorial before shelling out my hard-earned bucks.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 21
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 10:50:30 PM   
Aladinn

ok here is some negative feedback (because somebody asked for it):

The 3d stuff doesnt add anything, i play with the counters as they show the stats of a unit without having to mouseover
the game looks better as board game (dont really like the 3d looks)
I dont like it you cannot play it (yet) as the boardgame (only persistant ap rule)
the boardgame gives a better overview of a firefight (mostly because its bigger then my screen and I dont have to scroll)
You cannot see unit stats during setup
now way to keep (automatic) track of opponents ap's (while it should be common knowledge who activated and who not).
game crashes now and then
I find it difficult to predict if I can see the target from a square where I want to move to. works better in zuntzu where you can draw a line
hill levels are difficult to distinguish, especially form the top view

pro's
you got a fog of war option
persistant ap's make for a bit different game. (for now its a pro).
lots of scenario's
maybe I can find some opponents to play online!

note: only did a few computer games not pvp

premature conclusion: does it match the boardgame experience: no
Can it be fun to play: yes

edit: crashes or not minor. Cant start a game anymore at all suddenly, these are serious bugs.

< Message edited by Aladinn -- 5/10/2012 11:40:40 PM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 22
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 10:52:08 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Still sitting on the fence and waiting for some negative feedback. Like: "too simplistic", "cannot match the original" or "no replay value". Lack of criticism usually means that either a game is quite perfect or - more likely - nobody cares about it.

Not a lot to be negative about so far. I've never played the boardgame so can't compare with that.

It is a simple game to learn to play (if not play well), but that doesn't make it 'simplistic'. I doubt there is much replay value of the scenarios against the AI once you've learned to beat it, but as I said before the game is really geared to MP where 'replay value' in that sense is pretty much a moot issue unless you always have the same opponent. There's a scenario editor included; haven't played with that but it looks pretty full featured.

I tend to agree with the last guy regarding the 3D looks and if there was just a 2D Vassal style option I'd probably use it exclusively, but you can't blame the devs for providing what the public expect these days. CoH isn't a 'grog' game, but it is still very much a wargame and will be great for newcomers who might be put off by 'old' style graphics.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 5/9/2012 10:55:49 PM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 23
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 10:52:16 PM   
duncan007

+1 on the fence until demo or positive reviews from outside.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 24
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:22:30 PM   
Binko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
I tend to agree with the last guy regarding the 3D looks and if there was just a 2D Vassal style option I'd probably use it exclusively, but you can't blame the devs for providing what the public expect these days.

Wait a minute, you mean to say there is NO 2D option at all? I'm forced to see my square little boardgame style counters on a 3D map? I assumed all the AARs were showing the 3D view because it was the most popular. But I assumed of course that there would be a top-down 2D view as well.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 25
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:27:34 PM   
ioticus

I wish there were a way to see a clear, crisp, 2D map as well. I find the 3D map to be hard to discern terrain and judge LOS. Also, it would be nice to have strict board game LOS rules as well.

(in reply to Binko)
Post #: 26
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:29:14 PM   
vonRocko

There is a top down view.

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 27
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:33:32 PM   
ioticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

There is a top down view.

The top down view is a definite improvement over the other views, but it's still not as good as the actual board game map.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 28
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:33:34 PM   
major.pain

quote:

ORIGINAL: ioticus

I wish there were a way to see a clear, crisp, 2D map as well. I find the 3D map to be hard to discern terrain and judge LOS. Also, it would be nice to have strict board game LOS rules as well.

Setting your shaders to simple clears the map up and makes things look more crisp, especially elevations when your zoomed out.

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 29
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:39:15 PM   
ioticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: M J R

quote:

ORIGINAL: ioticus

Setting your shaders to simple clears the map up and makes things look more crisp, especially elevations when your zoomed out.

Thanks for that suggestion. It does look better that way.

(in reply to major.pain)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> First impressions pls? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI