Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LOS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> LOS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LOS - 5/10/2012 12:46:18 PM   
hugi

Hello Community and Matrixgames,

I'm a CoH boardgamer and stepped into the computer game.
First impression: wow ... love it.
Ok, a few glitches (display active units better, faster camera moves) are in the game ... but I can live with that.

But the LOS is really strange in my opinion.

I don't know how the system calculate the LOS.
And so I don't know what would be the LOS in a specific hex. Can the enemy unit see my, if I go further or not?

Is there any solution for this?

Greetings
hugi
Post #: 1
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 12:49:45 PM   
z1812

Is there not a key action to see LOS from a unit?

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 2
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:00:57 PM   
hugi

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

Is there not a key action to see LOS from a unit?

I you hove a friendly unit you see the LOS of this unit. But I don't know how to display or calculate the LOS from enemy units or from other fields. "What happens if I would go on the hill?".

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 3
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:05:02 PM   
Joram

That feature does not currently exist. WCS or Matrix would have to comment if it's in the works or not.

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 4
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:17:35 PM   
hugi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

That feature does not currently exist. WCS or Matrix would have to comment if it's in the works or not.

Ok no problem, the board game has also no feature like this ... but the user can easily calculate the LOS himself from every hex. Is there a way to calculate the LOS also for the computer game in my head?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:35:06 PM   
RockKahn

I, also, would like a way to view LOS from hexes that I have no units in at that time. They had topographical maps to kind of determine LOS in the war, so it shouldn't be view as too "gamey". Maybe a little.

I like to play with chits in top down view. It's difficult to determine terrain level (hills) in this mode.

Maybe a key to toggle some sort of "mouse-over LOS" feature, so a player could just mouse over a hex and all the visible hexes would change to yellow.

< Message edited by RockKahn -- 5/10/2012 1:38:22 PM >

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 6
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:35:10 PM   
Joram

Yes and no. The map is in 3-D and the LOS is determined by the actual contours of the terrain and assumed height of forests (which I believe are equivalent to a low hill). So if you zoom in(or not if you have a particularly good eye) and visually inspect the hex in the direction you want to fire (or expect fire) you can reasonably estimate the LOS. We have suggested adding in a LOS tool as you described but I am unsure if there has been any work on it.

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 7
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:46:24 PM   
hugi

quote:

o view LOS from hexes that I have no units in at that time. They had topographical maps to kind of determine LOS in the war, so it shouldn't be view as too "gamey". Maybe a little.

I like to play with chits in top down view. It's difficult to determine terrain level (hills) in this mode.

Maybe a key to toggle some sort of "mouse-over LOS" feature, so a player could just mouse over a hex and all the visible hexes would change to yellow.

Yesterday I drove my Panzer IVh one step closer to the enemy. I played with 3d optic and everything locked good from my view. But then ... the flac of my enemy saw my Panzer and the rest is history.

I was not able to determine if the flac can see my tank, if I step one hex further. *arg*
This should not happen!

When I play the board game I use a rubber band to check the LOS easily from every hex to another. There MUST be such a option in the computer game too.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:46:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

A LOS check like that is pretty high on our wish list. In most cases the LOS is pretty easy to estimate, since it is based on what the unit should actually be able to see from the hex, but I understand that there are some situations where it's not as straightforward, particularly in parts of the map that have more terrain. Right now you can only see the actual LOS overlay for a unit you have, so you can be certain of the LOS where you are and have to estimate it where you are not.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:52:43 PM   
hugi

Thanks you for your reply Erik.

Maybe this is only eye training.
But such a option would be great for an update in the future.

Greetings
hugi

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 1:56:40 PM   
Joram

On flat terrain you should be able to use the same principles you use in the boardgame to estimate LOS. Where I think it gets tricky are when hills are involved.

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 11
RE: LOS - 5/10/2012 11:50:46 PM   
Aladinn

the game doesnt used the same principle on flat terrain either. In the board game you cant see a hex if you clip a hex that blocks line of sight.
In the computer game this is sometimes possible.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: LOS - 5/15/2012 2:46:25 AM   
junk2drive

Here's my comments.

In real life the CO has to take his best guess from a map and then send someone to check out the LOS from an area. No magic allowed.

I don't know how it works in the board game world.

I have played a computer hex game against humans that allows the player to click a hex and see the LOS from that hex. I tried MP for a while and some opponents seemed to be able to spend the time to click every hex on the map and somehow keep track of every good spot. That is too much work and not enough fun for my gaming time. The LOS tool will probably get added to COH. I won't be playing against anyone that uses it to game the system.

(in reply to Aladinn)
Post #: 13
RE: LOS - 5/15/2012 9:03:00 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Here's my comments.

In real life the CO has to take his best guess from a map and then send someone to check out the LOS from an area. No magic allowed.

I don't know how it works in the board game world.

I have played a computer hex game against humans that allows the player to click a hex and see the LOS from that hex. I tried MP for a while and some opponents seemed to be able to spend the time to click every hex on the map and somehow keep track of every good spot. That is too much work and not enough fun for my gaming time. The LOS tool will probably get added to COH. I won't be playing against anyone that uses it to game the system.

I totally agree but last sentence (I would play anyhow).
Usually players want a more historical game and then want a tool to see all hexes LOS, why? Too easy play in this way.
I think that players have already too much informations (IMHO).

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> LOS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI