Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First impressions pls?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> RE: First impressions pls? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:51:24 PM   
Bison36

I'm really enjoying the game. Honestly I'm just surprised that the multiplayer server is so sparsely populated given the game just released.

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 31
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/9/2012 11:55:03 PM   
ioticus

Even using simple shaders and no bloom and top down view, I'm still having a hard time seeing some of the terrain in some of the hexes. Sometimes a forest or wall is not obvious, for example. Also, I really wish they would've kept the rule that you could spend CAPS on initiative. By taking it out, you are further limiting options that made the board game fun.

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 32
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 2:27:34 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bison36

I'm really enjoying the game. Honestly I'm just surprised that the multiplayer server is so sparsely populated given the game just released.

Well it's not a game thats going to have sold in the thousands. Take into consideration time zones and it won't be that populated. I expect they've sold maybe a thousand units so far. I believe that many overestimate exactly how many units of a wargame actually get sold. Saying that I think some are waiting on reviews and others just waiting to be paid, those who own the boardqame may not be the type who will buy and play the PC game, they're more likely to buy one of the boardgame expansions I imagine or the new edition rules set.however I doubt there ever will be heavily populated servers for the game.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 33
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 2:32:17 AM   
parusski

quote:

those who own the boardqame may not be the type who will buy and play the PC game, they're more likely to buy one of the boardgame expansions I imagine or the new edition rules set.however I doubt there ever will be heavily populated servers for the game.

Well I broke that mold. I own the boardgame, bought and am thrilled with the PC version.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 2:38:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bison36

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I actually saw you in the lobby and tried to chat with you to setup a game, but did not get a response.

We added the in-game forum system so that there would be a way to leave a post in-game with the date and time that you will be back to help facilitate setting up a game. I think that as more folks get the game and lear it, things will get a bit more active, but setting up scheduled times to play will help as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 35
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 3:07:48 AM   
Bison36

Man I thought you were there just monitoring. I would have taken a game. Instead I left the server to play a couple of battles versus the AI and use mortar teams for the first time. Pretty sweet.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 36
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 3:33:43 AM   
Erik Rutins

We've had up to six online so far this evening (counting me) while I've been here. I think you just need to hang out a bit longer once you login.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 37
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 11:45:13 AM   
tgb

I just want to add my two cents that the game is highly polished an a lot of fun. This from someone who never played the board game.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 38
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 2:43:40 PM   
comsolut

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

I just want to add my two cents that the game is highly polished an a lot of fun. This from someone who never played the board game.

+1

Reminds me of PanzerBlitz brought to computer (dated myself a bit there )

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 39
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 9:53:02 PM   
jamespcrowley

I've just been playing the three tutorial scenarios, using FoG of war, variable APs and variable experience and it has been a great deal of fun. It all appears to be very polished.

Not played the board game, so am still getting used to the implications of the different actions you can take; deceptively simple but very deep.

I'm particularly enjoying being able to throw physical dice - what a great novelty using the webcam!

My only dissapointment is the planned release shedule for the modules - 6 to 12 months each ?? Lets hope they can get them out a bit quicker.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 40
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/10/2012 11:12:00 PM   
TheGrayMouser

Can anyone comment on the editor?

Can you create any unit you want  (within the scope of the game of course), or , like a boardgame, are yu limited to placing specific unit chits on the board from a virtual cupholder....

Are there cavalry units in game? ( love my cossacks) or will I need to wait for the Polish Invasion add on....

Cheers!

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 41
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/11/2012 4:57:38 AM   
Lebatron

Can you create any unit you want?

I don't think so. But you can create a whole lot of map choices. For units you are limited by the front this battle was raged on and the time period. So don't expect Panthers because they were not out in 41.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 42
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/11/2012 6:30:30 AM   
himmelstoss

gee what a blast in mp tonight!! I have played Partisans countless times in sp already and can not get enough in mp. great map to learn!

hope to see more folks soon in mp-play. I am usually in around after 8pm western.

immer voran!

himmel

tell it like you think it is!

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 43
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/11/2012 1:31:38 PM   
blastpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: himmelstoss

gee what a blast in mp tonight!! I have played Partisans countless times in sp already and can not get enough in mp. great map to learn!

hope to see more folks soon in mp-play. I am usually in around after 8pm western.

immer voran!

himmel

Having played the board game version of the scenario several times I can tell you once you add more complexities (tanks, bigger scenarios and such) the system really shines. Also the fun factor increases several fold.

I'll probably download this weekend.

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 44
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/11/2012 1:32:39 PM   
blastpop

Deleted duplicate message- Sorry

< Message edited by blastpop -- 5/11/2012 1:33:56 PM >

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 45
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/11/2012 4:28:27 PM   
tgb

I spent some time this morning tackling The Bunker. I so so proud of myself that I had finally, in my last game, managed to secure the two forward VH's by the end of the fifth round. Then I discovered that the A.I. had been racking up big points in the two rear VH's, and I lost anyway .

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 46
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/12/2012 2:40:05 AM   
Rucker1959

OK -- after posting my disappointment with Team Assault: Baptism of Fire a few weeks ago, I feel it only fair to weigh in on CoH.

Absolutely fantastic. Great game system, great interface, terrific fun, exciting battles and fantastic value. If you have ANY interest in the subject matter -- buy this NOW.

I haven't had the feeling of playing a cardboard counters wargame in 30 years.

Thanks, guys!

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 47
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/12/2012 2:05:44 PM   
wodin

Rucker CoH and TA are in different classes. I do hope TA is improved and I'm routing for them, however with CoH we have a great developer WCS and an expert in wargame design with Academy, you can't go wrong.

(in reply to Rucker1959)
Post #: 48
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/12/2012 2:34:19 PM   
tgb

This morning after reading up on LOS and cautious movement again, I finally "got it", and managed to beat the A.I. on a couple of scenarios (Gen. Petrov & The Bunker). I feel I'm almost ready for a real person

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 49
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/12/2012 4:58:23 PM   
RockKahn

I'm really enjoying the game. Playing it really takes me back to the days of playing boardgames. Especially, all the bad dice rolls. I'd hoped after 30 years they'd gone away. But no, they're still there.

I really like the unit commands available like hide and hasty defense. They add a lot to the tactics without making the game more complicated to play. Something I just noticed and haven't used yet, but I'm going to try, is cautious movement (a rule option). It may have been explained in a Tutorial scenario. I don't remember. It should help my infantry survive a little while moving into position under enemy fire.

My hat's off to whoever wrote the manual, too. It's all in there and it's very easy to understand and find answers to questions.

I downloaded the board game manual and looked through it. I think it shows a little more detail and I like the examples in it, but I haven't really noticed anything that pertains to the PC version that's not in the PC version manual. It's still worth the read, though.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 50
RE: First impressions pls? - 5/12/2012 5:25:03 PM   
Lebatron

If you downloaded the AtB manual that one is way out of date. Better to download the Price of Honor ruleset. That one is considered the reference ruleset for the series and the best source for rule checks. It's better laid out to find what you're looking for because it does not use the programmed instruction approach. Instead it organizes rules by similarity.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to RockKahn)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> RE: First impressions pls? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI