Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NoCDs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> NoCDs Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NoCDs - 11/26/2002 10:01:10 PM   
abradley

NoCDs

NoCD patches/fixes are great! I use them on every game or simulation that I can find one for. They stop me from having to swap CDs every time I decide to play something else and lessen the chances that my precious 'copy protected' CD will get damaged.

To quote the famous Jeremy Mac Donald at

http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=TOAW;action=display;num=1037925343

"[I]But for me the most important aspect is that I can now take my actual copy of ACOW and put it in a hermetically sealed vault (OK in a box in my closet) and only rarely open it up to gaze upon it while Gregorian Chants play in the background.

I sleep better at nights knowing its safe and ready to be reinstalled should anything happen to my computer...Actually I think I will take it to a friends just in case my house burns down.[/I]"

There's nothing like deciding to play 'Uncommon Valor' and not having to swap in the CD...instead all you do is double tap your desktop shortcut and it's there, like faithful Fido when you speak his name.

Wish Game producers would include them on the CD and in every upgrade---yes I know some group of cheaters could buy one copy and install it on all their computers---but they can do that now by buying one copy and burning copies with special programs. So why not make the product user friendly!

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz
Post #: 1
- 11/27/2002 5:29:47 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I'm surprised at you Abradley.

First the main reason for "no cd" patches is primarily so people can employ pirated games.
I know this as 90% of the games my friends possess are illegally copied games.

Further, the only reason for not including a cd in the drive requirement, can only be due to the demanding software requirement to make the games copy protected.

To come right out and ask a software maker to provide a no cd crack, is about the same as asking if you can sleep with a guys under age sister.

I mean really, I can't see any justification for no cd options at all.

Then again I know only one individual out of all the computers I do know, that takes proper care of their cds (proper care being to place the cd back in the jewel case when it is no in use).

I have never ever ever had a single cd ever ever give me any trouble what so ever. I have never ever ever had any trouble with the cd being required in the cd drive. I have never found it intrusive at all.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 2
- 11/27/2002 11:54:23 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Just a friendly warning here. If any one posts a link to a no cd patch for our games I would have 2nd thoughts about doing this here. For sure discuss the ethics etc of this but please no links to ethier a site with these patches or a direct link to one..

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 3
- 11/27/2002 12:36:34 PM   
Fallschirmjager

This takes laziness to all new levels...

Ive only used a cd crack when I couldnt play a game due to me having a DVD drive.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 4
- 11/27/2002 1:56:11 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
[B]This takes laziness to all new levels...[/B][/QUOTE]I disagree. I have a laptop and do a lot of traveling; carrying around extra CDs is annoying to say the least.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 5
- 11/27/2002 4:45:24 PM   
abradley

[B]Posted by Les the Sarge 9-1 on Tuesday 1029 PM 26 Nov 02 :
I'm surprised at you Abradley.[/B]

Why?

[B]First the main reason for "no cd" patches is primarily so people can employ pirated games. I know this as 90% of the games my friends possess are illegally copied games.[/B]

As for the 'No CD' being for pirated games. I don't see it!

I'm making a difference between mass produced 'Pirate Copies' and the individually copied disks---the individual copy will often take an upgrade, but I've yet to see a commercially produced pirate copy accept upgrades. And 'No CD' patches are usually for the upgraded games (a least that's what I use them for---all that I've seen are for specific versions, like 'myteu25.ace' is for Europa Universalis II V1.05 and won't work properly on earlier or later versions or any other game.

Lets say I've a Commercial pirated dupe of copy protected 'Jagged Alliance 2' (I do!) and it's got the normal 1st edition bugs making gaming unsatisfying. When the upgrades come out they don't work so my gaming doesn't get any better, the only way to improve it is [B]Buy the real thing[/B] and support a game and company your happy with.

But are you basing your point on people who buy a legit game, copy it then pass it to friends. If so what will a 'no cd' patch do to encourage this, the friends already have the game cd and most likely it was copied with a program allowing it to accept upgrades. I don't see how a 'NoCD' patch encourages this.

But a 'No Cd' patch can encourage a group getting together and buying a copy between them, individually installing and 'No CD' patching, and then passing the game on to others in the group. I've heard of this happening---but who gets the manual?

[B]Also the 'no cd' patches are for non-commercially pirated games [/B]

Why do you say that? I've several games on my system using 'No Cd' patches and [B]every game[/B] on my machine is legal, and upgraded!
If you go to a site with patches for 'no cds', I believe you'll see they're normally for upgraded games---am talking about wargames, haven't looked at the others.

[B]Further, the only reason for not including a cd in the drive requirement, can only be due to the demanding software requirement to make the games copy protected.[/B]

If I understand you correctly your saying that copy protected games can't be 'No Cded'! But I've got four legit copy protected games 'No Cded' on my system now, JA2 Ver 1.07, JA2UB Ver 1.01, EU II Ver 1.05, and TOAW-ACW Ver 1.04. Plus another 8 (legit) un-copy protected gems from HPS that are 'No-Cded'. Haven't found a 'No CD' for Decisive Action---but I am looking!

Or are you saying that many games have much of the data used during play on the cd, I've seen this, but only in one of the above, TOAW-ACW has the intro file on the cd and this is handled by explicit instructions on changing a registry entry and adding a dummy directory and file to the game directory. Even I could do it!

[B]To come right out and ask a software maker to provide a no cd crack, is about the same as asking if you can sleep with a guys under age sister.[/B]

For 'No CD' I disagree, but for copy protection..that's a different story. I remember when un-copy protected 'East Front (1)' came out, it sold pretty well but was buggy and the printed manual was near useless. Talonsoft decided to bring out a campaign disk with a new big printed manual. It hit the market and sold like hotcakes, in fact sold many, many more then the game.

Why? Because people had duped the game but couldn't dupe the manual..so they bought the package for the 'Manual', at least that's what Talonsoft figured and their follow on games were all copy protected. This may show how best to copy protect in the future, a little of the past, have a darned good manual and a 'go-nogo' question referenced to the manual during the game. As most remember, that's how it was done when 'Dos disk encryption' was found to be impractical because Floppies didn't last.

[B]I mean really, I can't see any justification for no cd options at all.

Then again I know only one individual out of all the computers I do know, that takes proper care of their cds (proper care being to place the cd back in the jewel case when it is no in use). [/B]

Now you know two. I also place my cds in cases immediately, when not in use.

[B]I have never ever ever had a single cd ever ever give me any trouble what so ever. I have never ever ever had any trouble with the cd being required in the cd drive. I have never found it intrusive at all.[/B]

I have destroyed a couple that I remember---one stands out, stupid, think I was on the net and I needed my electronic Encyclopedia, so I opened my cd-drawer, reached down, carefully extracted my only JA2 play disk, and dropped it. It landed out of sight, I moved my roller chair back looking, rolled over it in the process, grinding grit and what all into the grooves. Took me near 3 months to get another copy through 'Chips and Bits'! The other was while traveling, had it in my carryon bag, but here in Thailand there is little room for anything in Buses so rather then be a bit crowed I put the bag in the underneath storage. Believe they were shipping several tons of lead ingots on that trip and naturally they repositioned my bag beneath all.

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 6
- 11/27/2002 4:51:45 PM   
abradley

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
[B]This takes laziness to all new levels...

Ive only used a cd crack when I couldnt play a game due to me having a DVD drive. [/B][/QUOTE]

I used to say that about TV, CD, DVD, and tape remote controlls!;)

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 7
- 11/28/2002 7:49:11 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I would list all the games I have seen played thanks to their being pirated, but I haven't the time or inclination to type in the name of every game I have ever seen.

As for the "no CD" thing, hmmm well some games need them and some games don't.
Steel Panthers for instance doesn't. The Mega Campaigns are the same.
The only thing keeping Mega Campaigns off the pirate scene is a code of honour among wargamers.
Sorry guys but I know as many wargaming jerks as I do non wargaming jerks.

The ONLY reason for making a game require a cd, is to ensure the user actually has the cd. This is a copywriting concept. It is intrusive and it is annoying, so isn't theft.

As for damaging a one only cd, sorry but it happens, it's called bad luck. I hardly doubt that a game manufacturer is responsible for ensuring you are not victimised by fate.

As for playing it on the occasional machine such as a laptop??? what's a laptop for if not for work. Should you be trying to play all those games on your laptop in the first place? Can't you at least settle for one blooming game in the first place?

I could debate the matter indefinitely of course. But I know the truth, "no CD" fixes are not about keeping your precious original copy safe in a vault.
Either you are incredibly lazy, or you wish to get the game online and then play it sans cd.

That's a sweeping statement, but I am surrounded by people that can prove I am right.
As Ross has asked (not that I would ever do such a cretinous act), I am not showing you the many links I know of that allow a person to play any game you can name, for nothing beyond the span of time needed to download the files.
But I know they are there.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 8
- 11/28/2002 9:07:12 AM   
abradley

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]{Snip}
Either you are incredibly lazy, or you wish to get the game online and then play it sans cd.{snip}
[/B][/QUOTE]

I am neither "Either you are incredibly lazy, or you wish to get the game online and then play it sans cd"!
:mad:

Thank you for the reasoned discussion!

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 9
- 11/28/2002 9:21:04 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

That sounded wrong, I meant the public at large not specifically you Abradley, sorry if the statement sounded too directed at you personally.

But I do have to stand by my feelings, that "no cd" fixes are not required, and are generally abused by people who share no concern for copywrite violation.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 10
- 11/28/2002 11:44:31 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

[B]As for playing it on the occasional machine such as a laptop??? what's a laptop for if not for work. Should you be trying to play all those games on your laptop in the first place? Can't you at least settle for one blooming game in the first place? [/B][/QUOTE]Since you are making sweeping accusations...

Where have you been? Most laptops now come with 3D chips, and sales have or will soon exceed desktop sales. As for settling for one game...please!

I like the fact I don’t have to install a disk every time I us a program (Word, Excel, Media Player, etc) and if games were the same way that would good for me also, but that is the choice of those who make the games, because they have their own factors to consider…piracy for one. Their concern for piracy doesn’t change the fact that it would be better for me, personally, if they did it a different way. I will buy the games regardless.

You seem quite willing to look at everything from your point of view... feel everything is fine, and then belittle everyone else.
Nice.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 11
- 11/28/2002 3:53:30 PM   
Arralen

I really [B]do[/B] hate games that require a CD in the drive all the time.

I have a SCSI-system, and drives are getting really expnsive these days. But they won't last long if abused as copy-protection by games. And juggling CDs isn't much fun either.

By the way - how many people do you know that have (or had) the game "Stars!" pirated? I wonder why what worked with that game couldn't with all others.

A.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 12
- 11/28/2002 8:29:56 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I had a long winded reply, but once again I hit just the right key stroke by mistake to delete it hehe (too funny).

So here is something else (I ain't typing my thoughts all out again)

Why should I defend YOUR opinion? Of course I am going to support my view. Willingly? Well how else would you have me do it?

Belittle you? no I am belittling the practice of whining about the need to use a cd.

I live in perhaps the most electronically serviced region on the planet. I know of no one that has a laptop and I have never met anyone that uses one. I have been around computers since they arrived, and almost everyone I can think of has a high end non lap top system.

If laptops are selling more, it's probably because you can't sell a PC to someone that already has one. Then again, I have seen my friends upgrade their systems more times than I can recall.

Guys I don't expect you to like every view I support, but I do expect you to debate me in a fashion that bespeaks a bit more than petulant hurt little children.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 13
- 11/29/2002 2:58:28 AM   
abradley

[B]{snip}

Belittle you? no I am belittling the practice of whining about the need to use a cd.

{snip} [/B][/QUOTE]

[B]"...whining..."[/B]

Who do you think you are?

Who has whined?

A person makes a suggestion without anomosity, then attempts to discuss it in a civilized manner and you come back with the sweeping statesments: [B]"Either you are incredibly lazy, or you wish to get the game online and then play it sans cd"[/B] and [B]"no I am belittling the practice of whining about the need to use a cd." [/B]

I am sure you'll come back with a reply like [B]"..I meant the public at large not specifically you.."[/B].

I am not sure if you purposely mean to insult or if it's a 'Freudian' slip, but you need to brush up on common courtesy!

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 14
- 11/29/2002 3:17:50 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

[B]Why should I defend YOUR opinion? Of course I am going to support my view. Willingly? Well how else would you have me do it?[/B][/QUOTE]I have no problem with you or anyone else supporting your position. Where in my post did I say that?
[QUOTE][B]
Belittle you? no I am belittling the practice of whining about the need to use a cd. [/B][/QUOTE]”annoying to say the least” you see this statement as whining. :D
[QUOTE][B]
I live in perhaps the most electronically serviced region on the planet. I know of no one that has a laptop and I have never met anyone that uses one. I have been around computers since they arrived, and almost everyone I can think of has a high end non lap top system. If laptops are selling more, it's probably because you can't sell a PC to someone that already has one. Then again, I have seen my friends upgrade their systems more times than I can recall. [/B][/QUOTE]So you confess you have no experience with laptops, then perhaps you should with hold judgment until you do?
[QUOTE][B]
Guys I don't expect you to like every view I support, but I do expect you to debate me in a fashion that bespeaks a bit more than petulant hurt little children. [/B][/QUOTE] Debate… it doesn’t look like you understand the word. You make broad accusation or statements about people and equipment you know nothing about and then call people children when they challenge you on it. :D

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 15
- 11/29/2002 3:18:37 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm I think I will just fall back on my proven track record here on the forum as being civil Abradley, and let you deal with it.

I will only add the famous saying... Me thinks you do protest to much.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 16
- 11/29/2002 3:31:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Mexico I mention people by name when my comment is specifically for them, if I do not mention a person by name, then my comment is not specifically for any one person.

Therefore persons that get bent out of shape at my comments (that are not specifically directed at them in print) are merely getting bent out of shape at the own discretion.

As for the lap tops, just because I have never owned one has nothing to do with my knowledge of them.

Any more than my knowledge of anything else for that matter.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 17
- 11/29/2002 3:56:07 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

Wednesday 0856 AM 27 Nov 02

I disagree. I have a laptop and do a lot of traveling; carrying around extra CDs is annoying to say the least.

[B]Thursday 0249 AM 28 Nov 02

As for playing it on the occasional machine such as a laptop??? what's a laptop for if not for work. Should you be trying to play all those games on your laptop in the first place? Can't you at least settle for one blooming game in the first place? [/B][/QUOTE]

Thursday 0644 AM 28 Nov 02
Where have you been? Most laptops now come with 3D chips, and sales have or will soon exceed desktop sales. As for settling for one game...please!

You seem quite willing to look at everything from your point of view... feel everything is fine, and then belittle everyone else.

[B]Thursday 0329 PM 28 Nov 02

I live in perhaps the most electronically serviced region on the planet. I know of no one that has a laptop and I have never met anyone that uses one. I have been around computers since they arrived, and almost everyone I can think of has a high end non lap top system.

If laptops are selling more, it's probably because you can't sell a PC to someone that already has one. Then again, I have seen my friends upgrade their systems more times than I can recall. [/B][/QUOTE]

-----

[B]Mexico I mention people by name when my comment is specifically for them, if I do not mention a person by name, then my comment is not specifically for any one person. [/B][/QUOTE]
Odd, since it sure looks like you were responding to me especially since I was the one who brought up laptops.
[QUOTE][B]
Therefore persons that get bent out of shape at my comments (that are not specifically directed at them in print) are merely getting bent out of shape at the own discretion. [/B][/QUOTE]:D
[QUOTE][B]
As for the lap tops, just because I have never owned one has nothing to do with my knowledge of them. Any more than my knowledge of anything else for that matter. [/B][/QUOTE] “I know of no one that has a laptop and I have never met anyone that uses one.” By your own admission… no experience. Correct?

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 18
- 11/29/2002 4:34:46 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm

I will settle for asking you two to just go back to Art of Wargaming I suppose (yes I looked in your thread histories).

This thread I think is a bit thread bare at this point.

I have said what I can, I see no particular need to express my points endlessly. I have concluded that I will not likely be seeing this conversation go anywhere any time soon.

So I will end my interest in it now.

End of transmission.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 19
- 11/29/2002 4:40:33 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

[B]Hmmm

I will settle for asking you two to just go back to Art of Wargaming I suppose (yes I looked in your thread histories).[/B][/QUOTE]:D

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 20
- 11/29/2002 4:46:54 AM   
Fred98

When Windows 3.1 was released, I thought it was fantastic. To start a program all you need do is click on the icon.

Of course once CDs were invented the security issue was addressed and we now must insert a CD to play a game. To me this is a big pain.

Note that a CD does not need to be inserted if you use a commercial application such as Office or Adobe Acrobat. Inserting the CDs only applies to games. Why?

3 years ago I came up with the solution: a CD stacker for computer.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 21
- 11/29/2002 5:04:56 AM   
abradley

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Culiacan Mexico
[B]:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Wish I had your way with words!:D

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 22
- 11/29/2002 5:05:01 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]When Windows 3.1 was released, I thought it was fantastic. To start a program all you need do is click on the icon. Of course once CDs were invented the security issue was addressed and we now must insert a CD to play a game. To me this is a big pain.
3 years ago I came up with the solution: a CD stacker for computer. [/B][/QUOTE]I used a program for a 30-day trial period when I lived in Saudi Arabia and it worked fairly well, but the convenience didn’t out way the cost for at the time (I owned a desktop). Now that I have a laptop, I am reconsidering the question.
[QUOTE][B]
Note that a CD does not need to be inserted if you use a commercial application such as Office or Adobe Acrobat. Inserting the CDs only applies to games. Why? [/B][/QUOTE]Just attempting to protect their intellectual property, and considering the amount of piracy out there, it is very understandable. I don’t know how successful it is.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 23
- 11/29/2002 5:10:33 AM   
abradley

[B]Hmmm

I will settle for asking you two to just go back to Art of Wargaming I suppose (yes I looked in your thread histories).

{snip} [/B][/QUOTE]

Does this mean your banishing us from your realm? Are there any other areas of Matrix forum you've decided we shouldn't post in?

[B](yes I looked in your thread histories).[/B]

:rolleyes:

I didn't bother to check on you...not my style!:eek:

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 24
- 11/29/2002 6:20:47 AM   
Fred98

It is expensive to build security features into software but Microsoft customers are happy to pay the cost. So you don’t require a CD to be in the drive to run Office.

But Matrix customers don’t want to pay the cost and so we are forced to have the CD in the drive – until better technology comes along.

A CD stacker for music is cheap, why not for PCs as well?

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 25
- 11/29/2002 7:53:04 AM   
abradley

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]It is expensive to build security features into software but Microsoft customers are happy to pay the cost. So you don’t require a CD to be in the drive to run Office.

{Snip} [/B][/QUOTE]

Recently heard on BBC that MS makes a 80%+ profit on their software.

This may give them an edge.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 26
- 11/29/2002 7:24:16 PM   
Muzrub

[QUOTE]Winning all the time is as boring as losing all the time[/QUOTE]

Les take note of your quote and chalk this one up as a loss.:D

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 27
- 12/6/2002 1:27:40 AM   
slickric

Just a question and an statment. How much does a company charge you for a replacement CD?
I have broken many a cd and the companies want as much as half of what you paid for it even if you have the recipt. I dont like that i do employ No Cd patches so i dont have to run the risk of breaking a cd form using it so much. I buy all my games and 85% of them I have put away after 3 days and kicked my slef for paying 49.99$ for them.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 28
- 12/8/2002 12:58:50 AM   
slickric

Oh and by the way MICROSOFT is one of the companies who charges an arm and a leg for replacement cd's.

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 29
- 12/13/2002 7:37:48 AM   
SLAAKMAN

IF THE WORLD WOULD JUST ABOLISH COPYRIGHT AND PATENT LAW THEN NOBODY COULD MONOPOLIZE ANY IDEA. I PUT THIS MOTION FORWARD. VOTE YES.
SLAAKATTAK

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> NoCDs Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI