Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few comments about the rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> A few comments about the rules Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few comments about the rules - 11/27/2002 2:36:57 AM   
Reknoy

Seeing as how the developers are likely reading all of this and taking notes, I thought it might be useful to air a few well known (and in some cases, well despised) rules.

I may post comments for or against, but generally speaking I tried to play with all the rules as written.

(1) The rule about a corps stopping movement -- can it truly be said that a corps marker, filled with 1,000 Austrian militia, could stop the Grande Armee with Napoleon at the helm? The fight is trivial and the defender loses no PP as a result. The corps-link fence was seen in many a game as a result of this. I have argued on both sides but truly do not see the validity in this one.

(2) Naval movement being affected by how many fleet counters are with you when you commence movement. I always went with the rule that, if you picked up two fleet counters from a stack of seven in a port, then you were defining the "stack" for purposes of any movement penalties applied to that stack of two. So you don't suffer from being in a stack of seven counters.

(2 - cont.) The counterpoint is that you can end your turn in a sea area, stacked with 7 other fleet counters, each moving 7 but separate from one another (each time you pick up only one fleet counter and move it seven spaces without penalty). But then, that's up to the mover and only available when there aren't intercepting fleets around to foil any foolish attempt. I have seen games where someone tried this and wound up losing valuable PPs in interception battles (the smaller you break up your fleet to do this, the easier a target you are).

(3) This really isn't a question of interpretation, but I am suddenly wondering how they will resolve leader casualties.

(4) The minor country control process -- how many games have you seen where two players rig the political map by declaring pre-existing states of war and then each DOWing the juicy minor that the other wants, or something close to it (eg. Britain and Russia divvy up Sweden, Russia and GB are already at war and Russia DOWs Sweden. GB takes minor country control (it's a risk, but if Russia allies with a few other majors, maybe even France -- then GB gets it for sure. Then GB gets the boats and the pre-existing troops and Russia invades and conquers Finland and GB hands Russia a boatload of cash). This one came down to a house rule.

(4 - cont.) Pre-existing DOWs - though a helpful rule in a situation where your initial diplomacy leaves you so POed that you want to declare war immediately and for free (given your political bent), ultimately get royally abused (France cons Spain into the pre-existing DOW and then Spain is there to water down France's peace when offered to the other major powers -- assuming France gets beaten in any war...though with competent opponents this is very likely in 1805). What's even worse is that Spain (in that last example) has a prior war to most everyone else (except Britain, but they get cut out easily) and so can take the first pick.

These are just a few. I'm not sure whether anyone else has any thoughts on these or any others.

Cheers!

Reknoy
Post #: 1
- 11/27/2002 11:11:10 PM   
Reknoy

Nobody else has an opinion on this? :)

Ok, here's another one:

Do you need to have a garrison strength point in a port in order to avail yourself of the port guns?

I would say "yes" -- the rules are 100% clear (you cannot fire guns without a garrison).

There is always the issue of whether or not a corps marker that's in the same area has a zone of control over the port that grants the right to fire the guns -- but that seems too wishy washy. If someone is physically stationed in the city as a garrison then they can fire the guns. That corps marker could be miles away in the field (which includes the stopping movement issue -- so you can't give a corps counter so much credit to be able to do so much).

It's just that this one comes into play whenever you have a newbie. The newbie puts his ships in a port with a corps but no garrison and the Brit bombs them into oblivion.

Fire away! :)

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 2
- 11/29/2002 2:24:10 PM   
JParton

The port gun issue is one of my standard beefs lol. The guys I play with all agree that there must be a presence inside the city itself, so a corps in the same territory doesn't cut it. No idea if the PC game will reflect it though.

I do know that Harry Rowland, 1/2 of the creative force that made EiA is involved in the project. I was hoping that with his involvement, the PC version of the game would take a lot of the rules interpretations we all have quesitons on and definitively answer them (so the PC game could essentially be used as a official rules interpretor). I have strong doubts that is going to happen though, especially if the movement structure is fundamentally changed.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 3
- 12/3/2002 11:38:53 AM   
ZONER

Reknoy in response to your comments:

1. The combat does not need to be trivial. Both players must agree in order for this combat to be trivial (7.5.3) This is a valid tactic that has the limiting factor that when the corps is destroyed it has to wait until an economic phase to be rebuilt and the loss of a PP in battle
2. I agree with this rule as it limits large fleets moving great distances effectively as a fighting force. Also if you move them separately they can be intercepted, however once an enemy fleet makes an interception it can only make further interceptions in the same area (6.2.3.1.1). This will allow you to maneuver around that fleet in most cases.
3. Yes this happens in many cases but without the much of the forethought involved. A lot of time the player who gained control of the minor will offer the aggressor money to let the war lapse and thus retain control of the minor.
4. 4. Pre existing wars – This will happen throughout the game. Early on I have seen Prussia and Austria declare war on Spain or England for the reason you have given. Heck in my last game I was playing Prussia and about to be beaten by France I had most of my allies declare war on me just to chew up surrender options from France ( DOW Phase then Peace step). It was quite amusing to see France get territory and no trade with America in an unconditional surrender. I always though a few of the options should be allowed to be chosen more than once, especially reparation.
5. Garrisons in city to fire the guns – the rules are clear you need a garrison to fire the guns (6.3.3.3) This is not that big of a deal as militia are always abundant and only an idiot would keep boats in an ungarrisoned port.

I few rules I dislike

1. A fleet can carry 1 corps. How many times have you seen the Prussians and Austrians build 1 ship to place a fleet on the board and move 20+ strength corps around the map. I do like the optional rule that only 10 strength points can be carried by a fleet. This reflects the inability of the time to do large scale amphibious assaults.
2. The PP for the winner of a siege battle if it is a fortress. I have seen engineered combats doomed to fail to aid the defender in gaining PP with no PP loss for the attacker.
3. Call to allies – who asks first in multiple DOW’s who answers first. A big dispute in our last game.
4. DOW on a nation and surrender in the peace step.
5. Combat table – Why is escalated assault vs defend the dame table for the attacker as if he had chosen assault.
6. Why does the world know how many ships are in a fleet and being built but corps strength is secret. I hare it when a corps of 1 STR point attacks a garrison of 1 str. (a corps moves into a hex with a garrison and breaks in the defender usually surrenders saving a doomed STR point. However this comes before combat resolution so the corps does not have to disclose its composition. I think the defender knows how many STR points he is surrendering to. Also I think that it is hard to conceal a 200-point army from the prying eyes of the peasants.
7. Why can Prussia form Poland and gain a political point. It satisfies the requirements at the start of the game and gives it a Corp with morale of four and builds faster. Why would the Prussian monarchs recognize a polish state let alone the Russians.
8. How come ships in the blockade box are not considered at sea for supply?
9. Naval combat – Combat resolution should be simultaneous with modifiers for wind gauge.
10. Surrender option c.6 – why must everyone agree.

These are just a few of my problems but they are easily resolved with house rules.

A rule we always play with is that a country cannot lose more than three home nation provinces. This makes the game more balanced and the piecemealing of a country just after it was crushed by another player. It also is a must for game balance if dealing with inexperienced players.
Also the limited rule of corps that can be stacked with a leader. This is a must and helps against the monster stack tactics.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 4
- 12/3/2002 9:26:41 PM   
Reknoy

ZONER:

Re: Corps-link fence discussion. My bad. I was referring to a rule that's probably not in the basic set -- it's called "Overwhelming Odds" -- must be a variant rule or something. Anything, it makes the combat auto-trivial. So no PP loss. Either way, your point is valid, I just disagree that any 1,000 militia should really be able to hold off the Grand Armee for a month. Just my two cents.

On the fleets -- your point is well taken, but I still think that the "reality" in this case (i.e., a fleet counter of one ship should be able to break away from a flotilla of 50 and thereafter move faster) might prompt a differing result.

Re: port guns -- I agree 100% And I played against just such a person. He claimed the corps there should be able to pull double duty and man the port guns, too. :)

Re: Your other rule comments -- Awesome stuff. I recognize each and every one. We have mostly solved them with house rules (as you indicated as well).

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 5
Re: A few comments about the rules - 12/6/2002 12:29:22 PM   
Chris Kowalchuk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reknoy
[B]
(1) The rule about a corps stopping movement -- can it truly be said that a corps marker, filled with 1,000 Austrian militia, could stop the Grande Armee with Napoleon at the helm? The fight is trivial and the defender loses no PP as a result. The corps-link fence was seen in many a game as a result of this. I have argued on both sides but truly do not see the validity in this one.

( [/B][/QUOTE]

I have always liked this rule, because it adds a huge dimension for careful maneouver that the game otherwise lacks. It also takes some of the sting out of the "monster stack" because the attacker has to think about how he is going to get by the screens.

And actually, 1,000 men probably could hold up the Grande Armée. It was very common practice to leave small detatchments of troops at various points along your route in order to secure supply lines etc. Don't forget that the GA has to travel along the roads, same as everybody else, and the more troops there are, the more organization is required to get them into fighting formation. Of course the screening corps could not form on the battlefield and fight Napoleon, but they could hold the road.

How many men could Nappy actually bring to bear against them at any one time? The best bet would be a cavalry sweep, but if they chose their ground (which they could probably do because of superior mobility), there might not be enough room for the cav to act effectively. So does it hold them up a whole month? No, probably not more than a day or so, directly, but also remember that these armies moved in small groups or long columns. The first to encounter the screen (probably scouts) would only determine that they were there, not how big they were. Then they would need to figure out whether they had met a serious corps, or just a diversion. Many battles in the Napoleonic era got started when one corps accidentally encountered an enemy corps en route to somewhere. Then each side had to assess how serious the threat was, and then request reinforcements, or try to get on with the original orders. All this could add a lot of confusion that might well take weeks before you were ready to get on with your business.

I love the use of screens in EIA, the threat they pose to supply, etc. Don't think of them as minor engagements, think of them as the major logistical problem that historically such small detatchments really could be.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 6
- 12/6/2002 8:01:53 PM   
Reknoy

Believe me when I say that I have heard (and even at times put forth) your argument many many times.

I think we can go back and forth on it ad nauseum. But you did hit upon something that I think the developers have a chance to rectify.

You noted that the screens were effective against the "monster stack" -- thereby using a (somewhat ahistorical) quirk of the rules to combat another.

Again, just pointing out something that I think could use work.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 7
Re: Re: A few comments about the rules - 12/7/2002 9:32:44 AM   
Le Tondu

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Kowalchuk
[B]

And actually, 1,000 men probably could hold up the Grande Armée. It was very common practice to leave small detatchments of troops at various points along your route in order to secure supply lines etc. Don't forget that the GA has to travel along the roads, same as everybody else, and the more troops there are, the more organization is required to get them into fighting formation. Of course the screening corps could not form on the battlefield and fight Napoleon, but they could hold the road.

How many men could Nappy actually bring to bear against them at any one time? The best bet would be a cavalry sweep, but if they chose their ground (which they could probably do because of superior mobility), there might not be enough room for the cav to act effectively. So does it hold them up a whole month? No, probably not more than a day or so, directly, but also remember that these armies moved in small groups or long columns. The first to encounter the screen (probably scouts) would only determine that they were there, not how big they were. Then they would need to figure out whether they had met a serious corps, or just a diversion. Many battles in the Napoleonic era got started when one corps accidentally encountered an enemy corps en route to somewhere. Then each side had to assess how serious the threat was, and then request reinforcements, or try to get on with the original orders. All this could add a lot of confusion that might well take weeks before you were ready to get on with your business. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry Chris, but I have to strongly disagree with this assertion. The entire Grande Armee held up by 1000 men? A battalion and a half?? Or two depleted battalions or cavalry regiments????

Napoleonically speaking, no 1000 men would stay very long against such odds and if they did linger too long they would most easily capitulate if not become decimated. We're talking an hour or so in such a circumstance.

Historically speaking, impetuosity was very common to the French throughout the Napoleonic Era and those 1000 men would face incredible pressure that only would increase as time would go on. No, there is no way 1000 men would regularly hold up the Grande Armee. Napoleon would make sure of it by punish any commander that ever allowed it to happen.

Anyways, 1000 men do not make a Corps --no matter how one looks at it. A Corps is a combined arms force made up of more than one division and 1000 men do not even constitute a brigade --and a brigade is a fractioon of a Division.

Your assertion that they moved in small groups is nonsense. The French moved as a Corps, a Division, a Brigade or temporary units de marche. Small groups (of 1000 men) were commonly swept aside or run over.

If what you say is true, then Napoleon would have never gotten much of a force across the Danube before Aspern-Essling or Wagram. Then there is Eckmuhl, etc... The examples are too many to mention. (It happened for both sides.)

Now, trickery or a [I]ruse de guerre[/I] can accopmlish what you are saying, but they weren't so common as to consider having that happen in EiA. Ok, maybe a random event that happened every few years might be acceptable in our EiA, but not regularly. I'm sorry, there is no way that I can buy that.
:)

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 8
A few Questions about rule. - 12/17/2002 3:40:05 AM   
Bralan3

Regarding port guns, I'm assuming you to mean that if the Corps is in the area, they cannot fire, and I'd agree, but the FAQ doesn't. However, if the Corps is providing City Garrison per 7.3.3.3.2, then I'd disagree as the rule specifically allows them liberty to do so, and is the way in which, according to that rule, other kinds of troops may garrison (CITIES ONLY).

Having said that, the FAQ from AH said specifically they can pull double duty. Now I don't agree they should pull double duty, but that is only half the question. The other part is, can Corps exist as City Garrisons, in the Area, or Both? My feeling is that since the rules require you to move (even at zero cost) between the city and the area, and they say that you MAY move, but are not compelled to do so, that there is a clear distinction, and that Corps may sit in cities as garrisons even after - or even the absence of - a siege. I don't believe that they can be referred to as Depot Garrisons, as they are not given that ability under the rules on garrisons.

The rules do say though that Corps, and other types of factors in them, may be city garrisons, and do not have to be detatched to do so. If all of you are contending that Corps may only garrison cities in case of siege, I guess I'd like to understand why, there is nothing in the rules stating this, and clearly AH in its FAQ said otherwise, as well, several references clearly allow them to enter cities and term them as garrisons in events other than sieges. The section on Harbor defenses 10.3.2 overall refers to city garrisons and 7.3.3.3.2 defines Corps as being able to be City Garrisons, the rules say that Corps MAY move freely between the area and the city. Clearly, they are distinguishing between area and city and that corp may be present in the city - OPTIONALLY - not just as part of a siege - and that Corps and their undetatched factors may act as garrisons.

Reknoy, did the person you were playing with fail to provide garrisons? or just fail to place garrison factors? If they put Corps down as garrisons, I would expect to talk to them about 10.3.3.3.2 and it's interpretation of it. I certainly wouldn't deem anyone an idiot who concluded from 7.3.3.3.2 and from the movement section on voluntary movement into and out of cities by Corps, that a Corps could legitimately provide the function of a garrison for a city. Nor would I ever consider exploiting that without first clarifying it with everyone before hand.

Bral

pbl

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 9
- 12/17/2002 4:34:22 AM   
Reknoy

No question on your right to disagree - though I reiterate your point that these opinions (both of ours) are simply that.

As to your comment, the FAQ you refer to did NOT come from Avalon Hill (at least none of the ones I have found on the 'Net have, and I was active in PBeM EiA for some time). That is a misconception IMO. It has no official "Avalon Hill" stamp of approval. Further, they (Avalon Hill) should not be questioned on the rules -- if anyone it's Harry who should chime in.

Further, the FAQ at points seems to even acknowledge that the rules are contrary -- but points to general consensus in determining the true meaning of the rule. This is hardly helpful nor is it demonstrative of what the rule really means.

Your reference to corps and garrisons is likewise not persuasive. The rule you reference (actually, I think it's rule 7, not 10) states that a corps "may form" all or part of a garrison. This is simply a statement of the natural occurence when a corps is sieged. So a cavalry factor, when in a corps, can "form" part of a garrison for the rules that apply to garrisons. The rules specifically create an occurence when a corps is in a city, and in that instance the corps "may form" part of a garrison.

So, yes, in the singular case when a corps is sieged, that corps is "a garrison" for firing the port guns.

Now that everyone is shaking their heads in disbelief (at my apparent contradiction), let me explain.

I'll really try to put it in the most basic terms I can think of (and this goes beyond the glossary).

As written, do the rules indicate where a corps is located on the map? Is there a designator (like the chits for country control, and other demarcation) for "in the city" or "out of the city"?

No.

But the rules make the difference worth note. When a corps moves into an area and the corps is not in the city, then the moving corps can keep moving.

The rule you quoted (I think, if it's rule 7) states that a corps CAN FORM part of a garrison. How does it manage that?

How do we know when the corps is "in the city"? As noted above, there is no designator in the rules nor in the counters.

There is no such thing as "double duty" in this situation. There are definite implications when a corps is inside a city and when it is outside a city. Clearly you must be able to distinguish this point and the rules do not indicate any stage in the game where you announce this.

So you do one of several things.

You can create a house rule requiring actual designation every turn (loads of fun); or

You decide that, if a corps CAN FORM part of a garrison, then the rules have to direct how a corps can be in a city in order to form a part of a garrison.

There may be others (none that I can recall or note on scanning the rules), but the only one I know is the rule that states that a corps that is attacked may retreat into the city. Even corps boarding fleet counters are only referenced as being in the area, not specifically the city.

So if there are no other ways to get into the city, you apply the following: you either have a "factor" (one of those numbered chits) in a city forming a "garrison"; or a corps that is besieged in a city forming a "garrison"; or a corps that is in the field and NOT "forming a garrison".

This is by no means perfect, but IMO it's a legitimate interpretation and one that appears to rest far more easily than the leap of faith you take when you give a corps the ability to simultaneously be in a city (affecting port guns) and in the field (stopping movement). Your comments about the admitted inconsistency in your point seem to trivialize the complete contradiction presented by your interpretation. Mine may be stretching the boundaries a tad thin, but in the end there is no hocus pocus -- it's in the rules. If the only way you get into the city is by retreating there after combat, then that's the only way. Otherwise you're left dropping factors to garrison.

Stepping aside from the rules, hopefully there is someone out there who understands the history well enough to answer this. Was it practical for a "corps" (as well as that can be defined for purposes of this discussion) to actually provide the same functionality as a garrison and still maintain its cohesiveness as a corps? I mean to say, maybe Harry never spelled it out more clearly because it was silly in a historical sense (i.e., "Nobody would think of using a corps marker as a city's garrison...").

Just asking. I concede that it's altogether too murky (like many rules). Further, like many of the rules do, I think an anomaly like "Corps composing garrisons for port gun purposes" should have/would have been spelled out.

In the alternative, the interpretation of the rules should stick with what we know (like a corps can form part of a garrison -- but thereafter looking to how a corps can get into a city, and thereafter relying on the siege/retreat process to determine the instances that a corps would be in a city) and not add what we don't (like, any corps can be alternately in a city or in the field, indiscriminately, and notwithstanding the clear implications of being in either place) as the rules do not explicitly go there.

Reknoy

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 10
Rules question - 12/17/2002 5:50:52 AM   
Bralan3

I disagree that Corps may only form garrison when besieged. The rule 7.3.3.3.2 which I referred to says no such thing. Further, the rule 7.3.4 refers to them having the ability, during your movement to voluntarily move out of a an unbeseiged city, which implies they are not compelled to do so. Further, it also says that they may move out of (or vice versa (into)) a city at zero movement points of cost.

Other people commented on the validity of pulling double duty, not on the validity of using Corps as City Garrisons at ANY point in time. It is impossible to reconcile this voluntary movement with limiting it only to 'besieged Corps'.

As well, I commented on 10.3.2 (the major section under which harbour defences) as it refers to city garrison. As 7.3.3.3.2 refers to Corps forming city garrison, then the fairly clear implication is that they may from such. I think I quoted 7.3.3.3.2 pretty correctly, but maybe not.

7.3.3.3.2 Corps may form all or part of a city garrison, without detatching factors such that other types of factors in such corps may also be garrisons.

Your argument that this is limited to sieges is not reflected anywhere in the rules. Regarding the ambiguity of where the corps exists, I concur, it should not generally be allowed to be both places, but I see no benefit to worrying about this from a mechanism standpoint. Corps may freely attach or detach factors in cities, they loose nothing by doing so. The city cannot be attacked, except by attacking the corps (with the exception obviously of the harbor defense rule), so the addition, or lack of the garrisoning point is of little meaning under most circumstances. Admittedly, a corps with only one strength point could not garrison per your interpretation, but how realistic or even useful is that interpretation?

Regardless, assuming a player is informed about a rule which has pretty clear ambiguity is not very fruitful. Your question here is about double duty, and that is what was responded to. I concur, and recommend you have a house rule to deal with your understanding, but saying 7.3.3.3.2 is limited to sieges is no less a 'house rule' than would be saying corps must be designated as in city or not. Since the rules specify that they may remain in a city, or move there for zero cost, it appears in fact the rules allow exactly this, unless you are arguing that corps, even in city, would not be allowed to fire guns in defense.

As well, refering to someone as an idiot for veiwing 7.3.3.2, 7.3.4 and 10.3.2 as implying Corps may provide City Garrisons, is pretty perjorative. I would counter that failing to clarify the situation beforehand represents a major gaffe'. The right course of action would be to say, 'you know, I see it this way, let's play it this way going forward, and to give all players the opportunity to react equally.' From what you've written it sounds like that didn't happen.

Bral

Eidted upon reread - the player you are mentioning was given no mulligan previously.

The fact that there is a problem of location is no different than garrison factor location, they are placed ON the depot or ON the city, why any different for Corps?

As well, your argument does not reconsile the voluntary movement secton 7.3.4 which states clearly that corps may move into or out of an unbesieged city at zero movement cost DURING their movement phase (with the clear restriction that they must be able to fit).

Finally, I understand your argument regarding stopping movement, but why would the corps in the city NOT be allowed to stop movement, as the FAQ, they are allowed to, on a case by case basis determine their location during opponents movement, as to whether they are in or out of a city (according to FAQ). As well, I was under the impression the FAQ was prepared by Craig Taylor - the person whom Harry Rowland recently advised should be consulted on rules questions. Regardless, using your own wording, this is clearly pretty murky, and hardly unambiguous. Where you may have erred is in presenting it as not ambiguous.

The bottom line though is, 7.3.3.3.2 (and your right I had a typo) states they may form city garrisons, and 7.3.4 says they may move voluntarily into a city or out of it, as long as it is unbesieged, for zero movement. This is not in reference to beseigement retreat, but normal movement. Clearly, if they may move out voluntarily, or in, then they are not COMPELLED to do so, and thus, may remain.

Your argument on the paradox of duality is not pursuasive. It attempts to redress a problem of duality by restricting corps to something the rules say NOWHERE, yet allowing them to act as city garrisons creates only the problem of being sure of their location OR allowing them to function as a movement impediment from the city, something the FAQ says is the best solution - albeit not a perfect solution.

Bral

pbl

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 11
- 12/17/2002 6:27:10 AM   
Reknoy

IMO every rule in the game has some ambiguity, so the "fruitful" point is not well taken.

I was trying to find clarity in a rule that I have witnessed (case in point, the game at issue) cause recent disturbance. Nothing more.

Hopefully the rules designers will choose (perhaps a third) the right path.

Reknoy

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 12
- 12/17/2002 9:08:18 AM   
Bralan3

I'm trying to discuss the rule. You implied the player was foolish for failing to garrison, when clearly the player attempted to do so, I think that made it personal.

Please help me to understand. Rule on Nuetral Major Powers garrisoning Cities. Any Nuetral garrison or Corps in a city upon which a siege is declared must surrender as soon as the seige is declared.

Rule on movement into areas with a corps. Corps must stop movement into any area that has a corps not in a city.

Rule on seige retirement, Corps must move once an attack is declared.

Rule 7.3.4 - Corps may move (or vice versa) out of an unbeseiged city, at zero movement cost during their movement.

Given these:

First, a Neutral Corps COULD NOT retire into a city when a corps moves into the area because an attack could not be declared on it, so that Corps could not surrender once a seige is declared, so the rule is meaningless unless the corps already was in the city.

Second, the rule states, not in a city, it does not state, an unbesieged corps, retirement into a city comes after the movement into an area, so the rule is meaningless unless the corps may exist in the city, prior to movement. If they had meant unbesieged corps, they probably would have said so, as they did in many other areas.

Third, the rules do NOT state anywhere, that Corps may only be a garrison when besieged, this interpretation offers far more problems than simply tracking corps location, listed above and below.

While the FAQ may not be AH's it's certainly quoted many places. As well, and perhaps I'm wrong, I thought it was posted by Craig Taylor, the person whom AH and Harry Roland very recently, assigned to arbitrate such things. While I dont agree that corps should pull double-dute, clearly the FAQ says they may fire the guns, and clearly, that was in relation to Corps in area not in city.

The only reason I have reacted to the personal jabs, is that you brought up I was likely the player. Whether I was or not is meaningless. Beyond that, the VAST bulk of my post was in regards to the rules. As is what is stated below.

I am interested in seeing this correctly implemented, your characterizations regarding my play certainly go could undermine my comments. You did not reflect the situation accurately in my opinion, and I've clarified, that's not jabbing at you personally, its clarifying. This was presented as fact at that session when it's obvioulsy not fact. The player did not 'fail to garrison' the player used Corps as city garrison pursuiant to rule 7.3.3.3.2, as you know. My contention was and is, before then acting on your interpretation, the discussion needed to have been made with equal opportunity to correct the misunderstanding before negative effect. Again, that's hardly personal, its a discussion about how to fairly adjudicate disputes. You've agreed, enough said on it.

But, back to the rules, how do you reconsile voluntary movement into and out of unbeseiged cities during your movement phase? While you have interpreted 7.3.3.3.2 to mean that Corps may ONLY be garrisons in sieges, why is that valid beyond avoiding double-duty, it is just a contrivance. The rules say this nowhere, and it offers multiple other major problems.

Clearly this is not a set in stone ruling, clearly there are many conflicts with your position that are not easily or at least realistically argued away (for example, you could infer that they meant that a Nuetral Corps forced into Garrison by ANOTHER MP, would have to surrender to a third MP, if the third MP declared a siege) - but they did not say this, and the more easily understood and obvious ruling is that the Corps was sitting in Garrison guarding the city on the former's behalf.

They refer to city garrisons very clearly. Equally, in Land Movement into an ungarrisoned area, they say any depot which does not have a garrison may be captured, would you argue that it can be captured w/o contesting with the Corps itself? Clearly they use Garrison to mean a couple of different things.

If you did not want to engage in a personal discourse, I'm completely in agreement. Let's agree to leave the derisive commentary aside.

If you can convince me that voluntary movement into and out of cities - optional movment btw - does not mean this, if you can convince me that Nuetral Corps garrisoning cities does not mean this, if you can convince me that Corps are not repeatedly referred to as garrisons thoughout the rules, I'll buy your line of thinking. Howwever, at this point, you've introduced ONLY the fact that there is a problem with corps pulling double duty as the reason to infer 7.3.3.3.2 means this exists ONLY during a seige, you have not argued WHY 7.3.3.3.2 in fact is limited.

The clear solution to me is, you mark, or announce your corps position. We write control situations on the map, we distinguish the difference between garrison factors in cities and those in depot garrison by placing the city factors on the city. The ONLY problem with corps would be that you may not have a depot factor to rest them on, but that's hardly a compelling reason to obviate a fairly significant section of the game. The double duty inference I think is very clearly dealt with by 7.3.7.1 which says that corp NOT IN CITY stop movement. Asking before you move solves that question.

Adding your interpretation however, adds serious programming complexity unecessarily, and add little to nothing to the game outside of an opportunity to catch someone in a goof. NO ONE is arguing that corp in areas should be allowed to fire guns of cities, certainly not I. Yet the effect of what you advocate merely means that they have to assign ONE and only one militia or infantry point to the city. This point can be picked up during movement, and can be guarded by the corps from invasion. Clearly, if the corps moves away during movement, its no longer protecting the point which it could absorb before movement. The only relevant impacts are: A Corp with a single strength point could not on its move detach a garrison, of course, it could do so during reinforcement unless I misunderstand - and the more relevant, the single strength point could not be used in a field combat, however of course, the corps COULD simply retreat once an attack was declared, and so, that really is meaningless as well. So the real effect is strictly this, you have to have a point to fire guns during naval movement. Its certainly easy to do, but equally easily forgotten. It does then obviate several rules unecessarily and really adds nothing by doing so.

I do concur that we need to resolve it internally, but this is the forum for advising how to implement the computer game, and I think that obviating, or nearly so, a bunch of rules simply to restrict corps to areas only, so that the only effect is to allow someone to attack fleets that don't have a strength point in port, if the person forgets, is not a good implementation. The rules seem clearly to imply that Corps must be defined as either in city or not. The rules state very clearly that they may move into cities during movement, their own movement, not just by forced/voluntarily retirement. The rules state clearly that they may function as city garrison without restriction. I see no good reason to insert a contrivance. Its not an interpretation, its a contrivance to avoid something the rules already say is not allowed, or to avoid having to specify where a corps is at, which is not a difficult thing - and even if it were a difficult thing, is still what the rules call for.

Bral.

pbl

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 13
- 12/17/2002 9:49:52 AM   
Reknoy

*Whew* Takes a deep breath.

I agree, 100%, that the rules designers could make this issue moot and easy to run. When a corps is in a particular area you can probably designate whether or not the corps is "in city", and the additional administration is probably a LOT easier in a PC game than on a map board. Whatever the rules do or do not say, to make this more clear would be much appreciated.

I do agree that there is a discrepancy in the rules. Honestly I never saw it because (of the dozen or so groups I have played with over the course of time) I have not seen it differently. Now that you have pointed out the confusion I'm sure I agree that something must be done.

Again, as to the rest I will leave that out of the forum. If you feel so strongly that you must continue your point, please do so in the e-mail forum rather than a more public one. Apart from one instance where I echoed an "idiot" comment, I did little to undermine your skill -- further, I never mentioned your name or anything else about you.

Now please relax and move on. :)

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 14
- 12/17/2002 10:27:53 AM   
Bralan3

Rek,

I'm hardly upset, and whatever level of upset, in terms of getting in the last word :), I think we both sorta kinda share that :).

I think maybe you said more than you think, but its certainly not worth pursuing. I'm interested in seeing it correctly implemented.
I agree entirely Matrix needs to decide.

I'd personally advocate that the rules imply that you must designate, either in, or out. If out, then during naval movement, if the city is otherwise ungarrisoned, an opponent can bomb your ships. If in, then you don't interrupt movement, so you have to make a choice.

The other way, having to have a factor, could be fine, though I think it only adds a complexity to an otherwise clear point and without real gain.

I'm not interested in the personal side of it, I'm interested in getting it right, and I am certain, so are you. I hope you understand that this post is intended to ask Matrix to review the rules broadly, including voluntary movement, Neutral Garrisons, etc..its not meant to continue a pesonnal discourse, as there is a fair impact to determining Corps may never garrison except during besiegment.

Bral.

pbl

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 15
- 12/20/2002 4:20:19 PM   
Bill_L.

The group I play with has a house rule that we use to limit monster stacks. You can march around the map with as many corps and leaders (so long as there are not more leaders than corps) as you desire but only the highest ranked leader in the stack participates in combat with up to number of corps he can command (the printed corps limit). We don't use it every game but makes an interesting change of pace and there are more battles with more of the leaders being used when we do.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 16
- 12/20/2002 10:34:28 PM   
jnier

Can't the monster stack problem be handled by using historically accurate game mechanics? There should be severe movement and supply penalties for marching around the map in a monster stack to reflect the difficulties that very large formations would face.

Monster stacks should move much more slowly and face severe lossess via attrition.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 17
- 12/20/2002 10:50:28 PM   
Reknoy

I would tend to agree. Again, going back to EU2, it absolutely kills to have a monster stack. Attrition (even under Nappy) is horrendous and you have to manage travel through various (less plentiful) provinces.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 18
HUh>? - 12/21/2002 11:14:33 AM   
Chiteng

Why are we assuming that 1 strength point == 1000 men?
The rules certainly do NOT say that.

The weakness of the anti-screen argument is that you certainly wont mind getting the PP for killing the corps.
In Spain in particular carefull corp placement means the difference
in forcing the French to attrit, or spend money on support.
Very important decisions. Quite likely also the reason a screen is hated so much. A screen prevents the cakewalk, it prolongs the
campaign. I cant help but see that as good.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 19
Re: HUh>? - 12/22/2002 6:11:13 AM   
oleb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiteng
[B]Why are we assuming that 1 strength point == 1000 men?
The rules certainly do NOT say that.
[/B][/QUOTE]
The rules say that 1 sp roughly equals 1000 to 2000 men, which means that claiming that with the current rules 1000 men can stop a multi corps army, isnt that far off.

Ktarn

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 20
What? - 12/24/2002 12:14:15 AM   
Le Tondu

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ktarn
[B]The rules say that 1 sp roughly equals 1000 to 2000 men, which means that claiming that with the current rules 1000 men can stop a multi corps army, isnt that far off. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wish to weigh-in here (again.) ;) A multi-corps army being stopped by 1000 to 2000 men????? Huh?

Imagine -- its 1812 and the French and their Allies enter Russia. 2000 men stand before them. (The game is monthly turns, right?) These "brave" (actually, stupid) men stop the Grande Armee cold. Yeah, right. They get squashed like a little bug if they don't run beforehand. How long will it take? An hour or two? Maybe less?

1000 to 2000 men is nothing but a poor speed bumb to a multi-corps army and that should be reflected in the game.

If that is a rule in this game, then it is a ludicrous rule. There is a distinct difference between reality and all this rule lawyering. If this sort of thing gets into the computer version, it will be a terrible thing indeed.

To the game designers: Please don't allow this sort of thing to happen in your game. [Pretty please] :)

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 21
re: Le Tondu - 12/24/2002 1:29:50 AM   
Chiteng

However, w/o such a rule, there is no stopping Le Grande Arme.
It can reach Madrid in one turn forced march.
It will run rampant thru Italy. The game will become watching the
French establish a 'rotation' of countries as he moves across
Europe, keeping his sceduale of defeated powers.

So which rule Le Tondu is more harmfull?

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 22
turn length - 12/24/2002 2:22:18 AM   
mogami

Hi, Yuck 1 month per turn? Way too long to represent campaigning
Should be made a week at most.
(I know this makes the game 4 times as long)

But it allows smaller forces to "hold up" larger ones without preventing the larger force from reaching their objective (without enemy actually getting a larger force in the way)

Not everyone can just deploy full corps in defensive postures. Smaller fortified units that buy time for the field army should be allowed.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 23
- 12/24/2002 3:14:01 AM   
Reknoy

My only comment to that is that I have played with both interpretations (one that it stops movement and the other that "overwhelming odds" results in something akin to an overrun of the small unit), and in both cases solid play from the allies always proved victorious against France -- even a well played France.

The "corps link fence", valid or not, is not the only means of stopping Napoleon.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 24
re: Fenceposts and Bastions - 12/24/2002 3:20:30 AM   
Chiteng

Bastions can be bypassed or masked. The intent is to FORCE the
French to either pay cash for supply(my choice) OR attrit.

Now if there are other ways, I am unaware of them. Thus I iwll promote this one =) Yes I HAVE played the game many times.
This is just like the rule that doesnt allow ANY power to lose more than THREE provinces. It is needed to prevent certain powers
from simply vanishing. Prussia and Austria come to mind.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 25
Re: re: Le Tondu - 12/26/2002 12:35:13 AM   
Le Tondu

[B]However, w/o such a rule, there is no stopping Le Grande Armee.
It can reach Madrid in one turn forced march.
It will run rampant thru Italy. The game will become watching the
French establish a 'rotation' of countries as he moves across
Europe, keeping his sceduale of defeated powers.

So which rule Le Tondu is more harmfull? [/B][/QUOTE]

Shouldn't the question be: Which rule is more realistic?

A month to Madrid sounds like a generous amount of time for the Grande Armee. Then again, for the Russians and Austrians, it isn't enough time, IMO.

Why should the French player be penalized with sickly unrealistic rules (like 2000 men stopping a mult-corps army for a month) just to balance out (what you have described as) patient correct playing by the French player??? All players in this game can benefit from hindsight in just about any way except the French player?? That is just crazy and unfair.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 26
re: Le Tondu - 12/26/2002 1:16:04 AM   
Chiteng

I already explained why. Apparently you dont consider it important. Well as for realism, hundreds of thousands of
French died of what the game terms attrition, in Spain,
in REALITY. So I would say that it is FAR more realistic
to for France to attrit, anyway you can.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 27
- 12/26/2002 8:46:45 AM   
Reknoy

I certainly have no issue with corps, guerillas, etc. blocking supply. That is the way to cause realistic attrition imo. Besides, all this goes back to a rule that purportedly helps the other powers control the mighty and evil Frenchie.

For one thing, if the game starts before 1805 the French player is far from dominant.

Also, a strong coalition can force France to suffer significant minor country control losses. Imagine Russians and British invading around the crossing arrow (and close to Paris), while Prussians and Austrians create a solid opponent to the Grande Armee and also field numerous smaller forces to attack French controlled minors.

Corps fences are far more defensive and delay the inevitable, imo....

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 28
re: true however - 12/26/2002 8:56:44 AM   
Chiteng

That is true, however:

I would prefere to see the French pay for supply, rather than for
cavalry. If you get my drift?

It is a rare French player that is willing to take historical losses
foraging.

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 29
Re: re: Le Tondu - 12/26/2002 11:52:56 PM   
Le Tondu

[B].............Well as for realism, hundreds of thousands of
French died of what the game terms attrition, in Spain,
in REALITY...... [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmm. According to you Chiteng, hundreds of thousands in Spain alone? Let's see. That's 200,000 or more that died due to attrition (not counting the battles that were fought there.) Hmmm. Something just doesn't seem right with that.

If it isn't too hard, I would appreciate knowing where your statistics came from. Do you have exact numbers? While my library (200+ volumes) focuses mainly on the rest of Europe, I do have a small section regarding the Peninsula. I plan to expand it some in the future. (Its just is too hard to get unbiased accounts of the events there.)

I really am curious to know about your numbers. :)

Thanks --and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
:)

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Reknoy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> A few comments about the rules Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI