Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/20/2012 9:39:17 PM   
Real and Simulated Wars

Shameless plug in to my blog.

SCORE = A.
A bonafide, seamless port of an awesome board game with a tremendous amount of value added. Excellent artwork, professionally designed user interface and graphics, plenty of scenarios, a fully functional editor (your imagination is the limit) and a window to play this great game with anybody around the world. A great game made even better. Highly recommended.

Full story here.

Cheers,

JC

Post #: 1
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/20/2012 10:13:48 PM   
Krupinski

Hi JC,

nice review. Btw. your blog is awesome. I'm checking it few times a week just in hope that you post a new entry. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

(in reply to Real and Simulated Wars)
Post #: 2
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/20/2012 10:18:14 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: hafer

Hi JC,

nice review. Btw. your blog is awesome. I'm checking it few times a week just in hope that you post a new entry. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Agree..

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 3
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/20/2012 10:26:42 PM   
JFalk68

Nice review JC, nice blog also! I was not aware of your blog it till I read your review, looks like I have another site to check out now

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 4
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/21/2012 12:07:30 AM   
Gil R.

Great to see. Thanks!

Post #: 5
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/21/2012 12:16:53 AM   
Real and Simulated Wars

Thanks for dropping by the blog. It was a pleasure to review this one. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/21/2012 2:19:53 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for the review!

Post #: 7
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/21/2012 7:16:22 PM   
Blond_Knight

Thats the first shot of the editor Ive seen. But it seems like (if those are the available units on the right) that there arent that many different units in the game.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/21/2012 7:43:07 PM   
JFalk68

This is a direct port of the boardgame Conflict of Heroes (2008) and every unit in the boardgame is represented in the PC version along with the boardgame scenarios. With future expansions, like Storm of Steel comes new units. COH stays very true to its boardgame roots, maybe at some point there might be a few new units with some user made scenarios and mods. Boardgamegeek.com has some excellent threads and pictures of the boardgame.
I am not sure they could have added more units to COH "Awakening the Bear" and not stray from its intent to be a direct port of the game.

By the way, the game system is quite fun and most scenarios are fairly well balanced and varied. A very engaging game!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

Thats the first shot of the editor Ive seen. But it seems like (if those are the available units on the right) that there arent that many different units in the game.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 9
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/22/2012 2:45:33 AM   
Mr. Z

Hi Blond_Knight--we actually have a wiki that walks players through the editor:

http://cohwiki.slitherine.com/index.php/Firefight_developers_guide

We hope to post even more content there very soon, but that should give people a good start on developing their own maps and scenarios :)

We include, I believe, all the units in the original AtB scenario, or at least all that are labeled "AtB" units in the latest Reference Rulebook.

Post #: 10
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/22/2012 3:19:39 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

I think what you are looking for is a lot of units like Steel Panthers or CMBB. Those days are over.

This game covers 1941-42 German and Soviet non winter battles. Most likely we will have to purchase more to get more units.

Post #: 11
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/22/2012 1:00:29 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I think what you are looking for is a lot of units like Steel Panthers or CMBB. Those days are over.

This game covers 1941-42 German and Soviet non winter battles. Most likely we will have to purchase more to get more units.

So expect to be nickle and dimed to death? Hardly an exciting proposition. But if this is all the units included in the cardboard release then thats fine. I guess what Im getting at is, for those of us who havent played the cardboard game, what sets this apart from the myriad other WW2 tactical games?

Like I said if the developer makes an editor thats hard as heck to use its alot less likely a community will form around the game to make content for it. Im not saying thats the case here but when I see several people report theyre like huh?? when opeing the editor I get worried about the games longevity.

< Message edited by Blond_Knight -- 5/22/2012 1:08:03 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 12
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/22/2012 1:36:58 PM   
Joram

This is a faithful (so people tell me) replication of the board game so all units that are represented in the board game are here as well. I never played the actual board game so I can't tell you how this feels compares to that but what I enjoy about the game are the innovative mechanics, interesting subject matter and the board game feel without having to have a table or partner to play against.

I understand your comment about being nickel and dimed to death as I don't like to feel that way either and seems to be the trend as of late (like Panzer Corps, Field of Glory, Battle Academy...). To me the key difference is whether I feel like I really have a new game (like the Panther game series) or if it's just a collection of scenarios (like most of the rest). I expect the latter out of this series but that's obviously speculation at this point!

Post #: 13
RE: My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog - 5/22/2012 2:06:36 PM   
junk2drive

I think first you have to look at what sets the board game apart from the rest. Tactical squad level, no leaders, CAPs and cards, a few pages of rules. Then you have to think it would be great to see the board game on the computer without losing what makes it your kind of board game.

I'm not a board gamer but am a squad level gamer that has most of them already. I don't have the Squad Battles series because it looks too tedious and most of the titles do not have 3D units.

I chose to take a chance (roll the dice) on this game because of 3D terrain and 3D units. Playing a battle is simple. Understanding what I should have done differently is not.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> My Review at the Real And Simulated Wars blog Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI