Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defensive tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> The War Room >> Defensive tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defensive tactics - 6/3/2012 11:33:38 AM   
RAM

Heya guys.

Well, new player with Panzer Corps but of course not with the associated mechanics (I was an avid PG player).

I'm having some trouble with proper tactics to pull out in defensive scenarios. In the old PG and in the new Panzer Corps I'm a pretty able and decent player on the offensive (combined arms offensive tactics is something I mastered from very early when playing the old PG, and they are as good now as back then). However I'm trying some of the more advanced campaigns (1943 western front) and...lets say I'm getting my ass blasted from one side of southern italy to the extremest point on Sicily. The fact that the landings are happening both in mainland and in the island (unlike n real life) doesn't help either.

I'm kind of trying a forward defence on zones where landings still haven't happened (held palermo that way), and a delaying action elsewhere. In Sicily is kind of working but in Salerno-naples I've got my ass handed back to me. Defence was completely overrun and now I'm facing a huge army, really armor heavy, that I cannot stop or hope to do so. Having that many battleship/cruiser bombardments coming isn't helping either - each time I think I've got a decent line of defence set up, those seaborne bastards come, concentrate fire on the key point of the line which then falls without a problem, and then the flood begins...

It's really a tough one (even more after having so much success on the offensive scenarios), and I guess is because I did everything wrong from the start...the scenario is really hard too because the requirements are really, really ,demanding (retaking all objectives? against -THAT- flood of incoming troops? lol...and even the keep the italian ones isn't exactly easy to pull off).

So...I need some help with defence tactics in general, and some help with scenario-specific tips aswell. Really struggling on this one (is my 1st try, but I'm sincere enough with myself to know that a 2nd or 3rd run won't go much better if I don't change tactics...and I have no idea on what to pull off in this scenario other than what I already tried...)

Thanks a lot in advance :)

RAM

"Look at me! look at me!!!

Not like that! NOT LIKE THAT!!!"
Post #: 1
RE: Defensive tactics - 6/4/2012 1:24:42 PM   
James Ward

Use Strat bombers on the naval units. Also don't try to hold everything at once, sometimes it is better to give up some areas to secure others then launch counter attacks.

(in reply to RAM)
Post #: 2
RE: Defensive tactics - 6/4/2012 2:44:18 PM   
terje439

That scenario is hard due to the Allied naval supremacy. And if you start with that scenario it gets even harder as your units are not that much better trained than the Allied troops it faces.
Anyway, this is how I did that scenario;
1. Let the Italians stand and die on Sicily
2. Withdraw the German units to Italy proper
3. Focus on winning the aerial war, knock out the enemy airforce one unit at the time
4. Defeat the Allied forces in the north. To do so, you might have to abandon the coast for a few turns to make sure your units survive.
5. Form a German line in the south of Italy. A complete line. Inf/AT in city/forest/hills. Tanks in the open. Artillery and AA in the rear.
6. Use your level bombers to eliminate Allied capitol ships while wearing down the enemy ground unit at your defensive line
7. When the Allied navy and airfield is gone, counterattack.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 3
RE: Defensive tactics - 6/5/2012 10:11:59 PM   
RAM

Thanks Terje...This advice is what I was looking for. And yeah, started the scenario with the units the game gives you, is the start of the 1943 Western Campaign. And it has been hell until now, tbh. I wanted a bit more challenge than in the standard 1939 campaign but this is...well, too much ;)

will try with the advice you gave me. I tried a forward defence, lets see if a regroup-attrit-counterattack tactic works better ;)

RAM

"Look at me! look at me!!!

Not like that! NOT LIKE THAT!!!"

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> The War Room >> Defensive tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI