Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

70th British Div

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 70th British Div Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
70th British Div - 6/9/2012 1:23:49 PM   
msieving1

Is there a reason the 70th British Div has no infantry squads? I'm trying to figure out if this is intentional or simply a database error. An infantry division with no infantry seems a bit odd.
Post #: 1
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 2:11:12 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

Is there a reason the 70th British Div has no infantry squads? I'm trying to figure out if this is intentional or simply a database error. An infantry division with no infantry seems a bit odd.

IIRC, 70th Div just represents the Divisional HQ staff. The actual brigades that made up the division arrive separately and the HQ portion will withdraw. The Division didn't actually see combat as a complete formation once it arrived in India, instead it was used for internal security tasks.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 2
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 3:08:24 PM   
moonraker65

Aren't those the 3 brigades (14th, 16th and 23rd) that eventually become Chindits ??. Got a feeling it says something about that in the manual. And I'm sure I've got a reference somewhere that states the 3 brigades that made up 70th Division were used in that manner in the run up to Operation Thursday

< Message edited by moonraker -- 6/9/2012 3:10:41 PM >

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 3:23:33 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Aren't those the 3 brigades (14th, 16th and 23rd) that eventually become Chindits ??. Got a feeling it says something about that in the manual. And I'm sure I've got a reference somewhere that states the 3 brigades that made up 70th Division were used in that manner in the run up to Operation Thursday

You are correct. It began the war as the 6 UK ID in the Middle East and Palestine.

I'm somewhat curious about why the decision was made not to be able to rebuild the division as a unit prior to withdrawal, given that a rebuilt division supposedly has combat advantages over an unrebuilt unit of the same size, however.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 4
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 3:32:16 PM   
moonraker65

Bill Slim was not happy about the 70th being broken up for use as Chindits that much I do know. He would much rather have seen it kept as a division for use in the second Arakan battle

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 5
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 3:36:50 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Bill Slim was not happy about the 70th being broken up for use as Chindits that much I do know. He would much rather have seen it kept as a division for use in the second Arakan battle

I've read that as well. They made many compelling arguments about the combat effectiveness of a seasoned combat formation being kept whole...which fell on absolutely deaf ears.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 6
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 6:42:26 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

I've read that as well. They made many compelling arguments about the combat effectiveness of a seasoned combat formation being kept whole...which fell on absolutely deaf ears.

I would say rather than "deaf ears", those ears were listening to the passionate Orde Wingate instead. In the context of the British situation in Bengal during early 1943, it is not hard to understand why Wingate's plan was supported.

Post #: 7
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 6:45:40 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

quote:

quote:

I would say rather than "deaf ears", those ears were listening to the passionate Orde Wingate instead. In the context of the British situation in Bengal during early 1943, it is not hard to understand why Wingate's plan was supported.

That's true. But I think the arguments were more of a "just not this unit" variety in that it takes a lot of time and effort to get such a large combat formation to that level of cohesion, etc.

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 8
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 7:40:10 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

quote:

quote:

That's true. But I think the arguments were more of a "just not this unit" variety in that it takes a lot of time and effort to get such a large combat formation to that level of cohesion, etc.

Could have been; however, I got the sense Slim would have used the argument for any formation....as he was not a fan of Wingate's plan and the veteran troops had to come from somewhere...

Mike

Post #: 9
RE: 70th British Div - 6/9/2012 8:46:25 PM   
moonraker65

Indeed you do wonder whether the decision to transfer command of the Chindits to Stillwell was a sort of "take them off my hands" move by Slim

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 10
RE: 70th British Div - 7/27/2012 8:06:16 PM   
goatan

quote:

Indeed you do wonder whether the decision to transfer command of the Chindits to Stillwell was a sort of "take them off my hands" move by Slim

Thats intersting because from what i remember Wingate said to Slim something along the lines off "your the only one who isn't out to get me". I think i will have to re-read slim master of war again.

Post #: 11
RE: 70th British Div - 7/27/2012 9:41:16 PM   
moonraker65

The Chindits were transferred to Stillwell's command for the assaults on Indaw, Mogaung and Myitkyina. After Myitkyina they were just about shot and withdrawn from the frontline in stages.

< Message edited by moonraker -- 7/27/2012 9:55:03 PM >

(in reply to goatan)
Post #: 12
RE: 70th British Div - 7/28/2012 12:40:07 AM   
JeffroK

Slim was happy with the real Chindits, 77th & 111th Indian Infantry Brigades.

His displeasure was more to do with breaking down 70th Infantry Division, splitting a Nigerian Bde from its Division and the attendant support required to manage 6 brigades rather thn 2.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 13
RE: 70th British Div - 7/28/2012 10:13:45 AM   
moonraker65

Yes "Operation Thursday" was 10 times the size of "Longcloth" . And they built bases to bring in supplies, take out wounded etc so must have been a nightmare logistics wise

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 70th British Div Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI