Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CWiF Convoys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> CWiF Convoys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CWiF Convoys - 6/11/2012 4:57:56 PM   
gridley

Hello All,

A friend and I are getting a hotseat game of CWiF going. We have been trying to get familiar with it first and it seems to be OK...except for the Convoys.

We can't seem to figure out how to get the resources to the factories via the overseas paths we have mapped out.

ie. The CW has the resources from Venezuala going to the UK perfectly. Then I put the convoys down to send the South African resources up and they bump the Venezualan oil from thier path even when it wasn't necessary to do so.

Any suggestions???

Post #: 1
RE: CWiF Convoys - 6/11/2012 6:48:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: gridley

Hello All,

A friend and I are getting a hotseat game of CWiF going. We have been trying to get familiar with it first and it seems to be OK...except for the Convoys.

We can't seem to figure out how to get the resources to the factories via the overseas paths we have mapped out.

ie. The CW has the resources from Venezuala going to the UK perfectly. Then I put the convoys down to send the South African resources up and they bump the Venezualan oil from thier path even when it wasn't necessary to do so.

Any suggestions???

Well, no.

For MWIF I completely redesigned how resources are routed to factories (a.k.a. production planning). I just didn't like the CWIF design at all. For the past few weeks I have been working on cleaning up the bugs in MWIF's Production Planning code. I've cut the number of bugs down from 43 to 15 and I expect to finish off the rest this week.

There are a lot of rules, some of them strange, that affect production planning. Fulfilling trade agreements is the worst. Prioritizing the use of convoys belonging to allies is a hassle. There is also Search and Seizure in the mix - although CWIF doesn't have that rule implemented. Saving oil, which major power gets which the NEI oil resources, and oil resources in general (e.g., damaged oil resources, synthetic oil plants, using saved oil points in production, moving saved oil points to a new location to avoid being captured by the enemy), and build points, all add to the complexity. And let's not forget routing the Swedish oil along the Norwegian coastline and the various off-map resources that arrive in Barbarossa and the half-map scenarios.

Yeah, I've found coding production planning wearisome and hard on my soul.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to gridley)
Post #: 2
RE: CWiF Convoys - 6/11/2012 7:57:05 PM   
lomyrin

In CWiF comvoy routing you can change the route the computer takes by using 'avoid' sea areas in the route. The CWiF convoy system does work but it quite unvieldy and hard to work with.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: CWiF Convoys - 6/12/2012 8:08:06 PM   
Orm

I think most of your troubles can be solved by telling which sea areas should be used for the convoy lines. There is a button for this function in production planning. If you do this for all sea areas that have convoy chains then you should have no troublé. Fortunately you do not need to change this setting unless you relocate the convoy chains.

Since I am to lazy to look at the WIF map at the moment I do not use the real sea area names.

Go into the sea area 1 you transport the resources into and set it to ship the resources to sea area 2 and then go to sea area 2 and set it to send resources to sea area 3 and so on.

Do tell if this confuse you because I then I will make an attempt to clarify things.

Edit: After this you might still have to order some of the resources to be shipped to specific factories. But it should take care of the problem with other resources taking weird routes. Note that from some sea areas you have to order that the resource should be routed to a port.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/12/2012 8:10:17 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 4
RE: CWiF Convoys - 6/12/2012 10:53:26 PM   
aclements

omg this game sounds like its an awsome undertaking it will definatly be on my list

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5
RE: CWiF Convoys - 6/13/2012 12:50:15 AM   
gridley

Thank You...my buddy is setting up the CW right now. We'll give these suggestions a try.

*Update* turns out my buddy is not as anal as I am about having the best possible convoy route from the start. On the board he always was. Anyway, he got it done without using your suggestions. I will play around with your suggestions at home later. I know I have some questions.

We are playing with oil and he is having issues saving it right now.

< Message edited by gridley -- 6/13/2012 1:28:25 AM >

(in reply to aclements)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> CWiF Convoys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI