Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 5/16/2012 9:22:11 AM   
Hortlund

Game is on hold for a couple of weeks right now as Canoe is on vacation with his family.

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 241
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 5/16/2012 11:18:08 AM   
adsoul64

And I'm missing it! Too ugly on my side hoping that weather is bad and Canoe will back home sooner?

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 242
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/2/2012 12:08:15 PM   
PaxMondo

PH, are you back on this yet?

Pax

(in reply to adsoul64)
Post #: 243
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/3/2012 5:05:59 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

I have a question.

Right now I have 4th Div at Ambon and 56th Div at Balikpapan. I have 4 BB and the mini-KB together with 6-8 CAs and alot of DDs and CLs in the Ambon-Balikpapan region.

At the same time I am tied down at Clark, and I am about to become tied down at Singapore. The road to Singapore is cleared now and I could launch an attack there within 4-5 days.

At the same time, Palembang is secure and I have troops all over Java - not enough to capture the place, but enough to hold half the island and prevent any huge fortress-building.

I just realized that I have no real use for my surface fleet right now. I am not about to mount any new offensive operation. Im just going to build up airfields on Timor and grab a few dot-bases at Darwin and start building them up too. All of this can be done under protection of LBA.

I hate seeing Japanese assets not being used, especially at this time of the war. It feels like Im wasting time and resources.

So...any suggestions? Keep my ships in port or defending bases I already have, should I go looking for trouble? Should I move offensively with the two divisions?

1. Hard to bombard Bataan because of the minefield. I believe Clark is also a port accessed from south china sea w/ no mines. I would set up 1/2 CL Cruiser bombardment TFs operating from Pescadores and shell him every turn by sea. Set the the TF to "do not retreat" and empty the gun ammo into clark before going to port for a refill. Also set the search planes to night recon clark to increase gun acuracy. If u have any 8inch shells they are real good at causing alot of damage. I suspect the continued run by BBs in this idea would use alot of supply and fuel at pescadores.
2. Then I would bypass Clark leaving one div w/ support/ART.
3. Take all the rest of southern army and finish singers first then Java/clearance of sumatra.
4. Then clear Rangoon /stop burma supply to china.
5. Come back to PI in october.
6. BTW, every attack you make on Clark cuts about 3000supply out of Bataan supply pool. CR probably has about 40000 supply at bataan. So you will need to attack clark about 10 times to run CR out of supply. THEN he will be forced to retreat into bataan, where you wll crush him. So you need to restore your damaged inf between attacks. Watch tracker to see the recovery process of your units. Also I would recommend if you go for clark early use divisions/armor only in the attacks. Reg/BDE will not recover fast enough.
3x div attack one every 10 days should do the deal. 10 days between attacks , 10 attacks, you will need three months or 100 days to reduce Clark. Might be quicker w/ cruiser support.
7. CR is a dangerous player. CR could try to reinforce singers while you spend the next 2 months at Clark If CR figures out how to place 5 divisions(2nd&18th BR, 7&8thAUS plus random armor units) into Malaya. Better to take singers first which cuts allied support for any Clark operation from the CBI theatre.

< Message edited by bigred -- 6/3/2012 5:50:05 AM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 244
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/3/2012 9:43:50 AM   
Hortlund

Canoe is still on vacation.

Big, some good ideas there, but Im already committed to Clark with 4 divisions 4-7 days away. Perhaps I should have gone for Singers first instead, but its too late to change now. I will set up bombardmentTFs right now though, they should be useful in any case.

In the words of Guderian; you hit someone with your fist, not with your fingers spread, I will focus everything on Clark first and then Singapore. I believe that is the best way to overcome those two obstacles now that I failed to prevent the entire Malayan army to pull back to Singapore

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 245
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/3/2012 2:31:53 PM   
obvert

Just checking. Are you planning to bombard Clark? To get there you have to move through Bataan, and if there are mines, that could be trouble. I may be misunderstanding where you're planning to bombard, so please ignore if that is the case.

Here is a pic where I set a waypoint for the sea hex to the West of Clark, and the TF still shows it will move though Bataan to get there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 246
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/3/2012 6:18:40 PM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Just checking. Are you planning to bombard Clark? To get there you have to move through Bataan, and if there are mines, that could be trouble. I may be misunderstanding where you're planning to bombard, so please ignore if that is the case.

Here is a pic where I set a waypoint for the sea hex to the West of Clark, and the TF still shows it will move though Bataan to get there.

yes, Obvert may be correct. Sorry bout that.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 247
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/3/2012 6:58:13 PM   
Hortlund

Good catch, would have been annoying to see the ships sunk by the Bataan-guns.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 248
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/5/2012 11:00:43 AM   
Hortlund

Game is back on track now. This first turn is to re-orient everything again.

Most important things going on right now.

1) The big China offensive. The plans are set. Now I need to build up some airfields before we are ready to go. It will be a rather complicated operation with 2 feints before the main attack to try to pull reinforcements the wrong way. More on this later.

2) The reduction of Clark Field. 4 divisions are on the way from the lower NEI and from Malaya. A force of 1000 AV will hold the Singapore defenders in place while the operation is on.

3) Northern front. Alot of invasion forces are shuffling around in the north pac right now. Next target is Kodiak, after that those troops will move on to Anchorage. After that we will move towards Canadian coast.

4) Restructuring the airforce. I need to put more pressure on Burma and Singapore while the operations against Clark goes on. Lots of moving of airunits around starting now, should be finished in a week or so.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 249
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/9/2012 7:45:34 PM   
CRations

Hi Panzerjaeger,

Can I ask how the game is going? I'm curious as to which bases you plan to stage your air groups out of and which aviation units you have deployed at those bases.

Are you importing additional aviation support units to Burma & Malaya? Are you building up any of the airfields where you plan to stage your air groups?

Most of Burma/Malaya is jungle or bases. Can I ask if you have a bombing strategy - as in using light bombers with 30-100kg bombs VS AC with 250kg bombs? In testing I've noticed that using a lot of recon aircraft to increase detection levels seems to assist in the effectiveness of my air-to-ground strikes. Do you see the same thing or am I just imagining an increase in damage?

Regards,

CR

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 250
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/16/2012 5:18:24 PM   
Hortlund

Sorry, Ive been having a dreadful time at the office for the past week. Will try to get back to the AAR now

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 251
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/16/2012 5:21:08 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: CRations

Hi Panzerjaeger,

Can I ask how the game is going? I'm curious as to which bases you plan to stage your air groups out of and which aviation units you have deployed at those bases.

Are you importing additional aviation support units to Burma & Malaya? Are you building up any of the airfields where you plan to stage your air groups?

Most of Burma/Malaya is jungle or bases. Can I ask if you have a bombing strategy - as in using light bombers with 30-100kg bombs VS AC with 250kg bombs? In testing I've noticed that using a lot of recon aircraft to increase detection levels seems to assist in the effectiveness of my air-to-ground strikes. Do you see the same thing or am I just imagining an increase in damage?

Regards,

CR

Hey
Its too early to say what will happen with Burma yet. My only objective here was to cut the Burma road, and it is cut now.

Right now Im only using second-tier units to keep up appearances and take whatever I can in the early stages of the war. I will have to reinforce here sooner or later, but that is after Clark Field and after Singapore.

As for my bombers. I will use Helens as my main bomber, and I plan to have pretty much the entire Army Airforce flying Helens for the next couple of years. It makes production easier, and the Helen is a good-enough aircraft to be the workhorse.

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 252
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/16/2012 5:40:52 PM   
Hortlund

Short update.

North Pac
We are moving in on Anchorage. After that we will move on to the Canadian bases. Warspite saw action against Oi off Coal Harbor. Apparently he is concerned enough to have capital ships divert up here, which is good. Warspite took two torpedo hits, which is better. I have 4 CVs in hot pursuit right now, perhaps we can catch him. For some reason, the BB did not retire to Seattle, but must have gone south along the west coast.

We are prepping for a huge defensive battle up here. My bet is that the main battle will be around Kodiak - Cold Harbor in about a year and a half. He will most likely try to catch all my troops in Alaska/Canada by cutting them off in the Cold Harbor-area. Who wouldnt?

Basically my thinking is this:
I can present a credible threat to key areas in the US/Canada by taking alot of undefended or lightly defended bases with small forces of my own. If he does not react to that threat - fine, I can hurt his industry with strategic attacks. If he does react to the threat - fine, those forces will not be deployed against the SRA and the bases there.

NEI/Malaya/Phillipines
Initial objective is achieved. Palembang is safe. What remains now is the reduction of all other enemy defensive positions in the area. Im going to do that slow and methodical and expect to be done in about two months. First Clark, which should fall inside two weeks, then Singapore which should fall in about a month. Parrallell to this, small units will clear out Java and the island chain down to Timor. Other units are setting up to take and/or remove Darwin and Port Moresby.

China
The main show. I have started a huge offensive operation that will take several months to complete. My aim is to slowly reduce the Chinese ability to fight by removing their supply sources and at the same time, prevent the army from growing by killing 350 squads per month. I am expecting a conquest in 43/44.

Alot of people try for the heavy-handed approach in China, with huge stacks slugging it out with other huge stacks. Canoe seems to follow this script by placing something that must be several thousand AVs at Nanyang. He moves his units around in stacks of 15-25 units. Well, fine. Im playing into this by setting up huge stacks myself that Im manuvering in a threatening manner around his huge stacks. And while we dance around like this, I have a diversion-attack coming up through the jungles of Indo-China to threaten his mountain bases. Hopefully, when he spots these troops, he will shift his reserves there. And then, my real offensive will commence. In a place he has hopefully completely forgotten.

But more on that later.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 253
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/17/2012 12:26:18 AM   
Ketza

Very nice AAR I am glad to have played catch up. Interesting!

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 254
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/17/2012 9:31:49 AM   
Hortlund

Thanks.

Another turn passes without anything really interesting happening. Two US surface raiders were spotted, one off Peleliu and one between Okinawa and Japan. Bold moves to no avail, I have no shipping to speak of in those areas. Two CVs who were rearming and refueling in Tokyo are ordered to take a detour to see if we can catch the northern ones.

Forces in the Philippines are in place and begin moving towards Clark. I should have about 3500 AV ready for attack there in a couple of days.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 255
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/17/2012 9:02:55 PM   
CRations

In regards to China:

Is this primarily a ground offensive or are you using air assets as well?

Is your planned offense in China affecting production for Japan? Maybe increasing man or armor production?

Are you streamlining your air production by limiting air frames to build for the Army and Navy?

Have you considered "buying" some of the armor & infantry units from your Kwantung Army? Several of them have very nice EXP/MOR ratings.

CR

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 256
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/17/2012 9:38:23 PM   
Historiker

Interesting approach, your march on Canada. Will you go for inner bases or just stick to the isolated bases at the coast?
This will sure be interesting :)

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 257
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/18/2012 4:41:47 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

In regards to China:

Is this primarily a ground offensive or are you using air assets as well?

Is your planned offense in China affecting production for Japan? Maybe increasing man or armor production?

Are you streamlining your air production by limiting air frames to build for the Army and Navy?

Have you considered "buying" some of the armor & infantry units from your Kwantung Army? Several of them have very nice EXP/MOR ratings.

CR

Im using alot of air-units in China. In fact, I will probably be using 2/3 of my entire army airforce there soon. Airunits are worth their weight in gold in the open plains. Right now Im using bombers to attack airfields in order to cause damage that prevents fort buildup and cost supplies to repair.

I will be using Kwangtung units, mostly artillery.

Yes, I am streamlining production. In a month or so, when they come online, I will be building Helens, Bettys, Tojos and Zeros almost exclusivly together with recon/search and Kates/Vals.

China is the main show for me, so it is not like Im letting Chinese concerns influence my desicions - it is China at the core of this strategy.

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 258
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/18/2012 4:47:11 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

Interesting approach, your march on Canada. Will you go for inner bases or just stick to the isolated bases at the coast?

Depends on what the defences looks like. I am somewhat reluctant to attack on shore, since that will bring the entire US restricted army into play.

If Im reading the tea-leaves correctly, he is reinforcing in Canada/northern US, so that seems to indicate there will not be any huge land offensive up here. Just a credible threat that draws him in, making him commit more and more forces up here.

And, like I said, I think he will launch his first counteroffensive up here. There are just too many benefits for him not to really. It is close to his home bases, far from mine, he can use restricted bomber units even. The shape of the Japanese defensive positions will resemble the cresent of the moon, he will have alot of CVs avaliable together with the ability to raid north from Pearl etc. If I just show him the KB somewhere completely elsewhere, like around India, I think he will launch a big attack aimed at Cold Harbor - Attu with the objective of completely cutting off everything east of there.

And that is where Im planning to be waiting for him.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 259
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/19/2012 4:21:03 PM   
Hortlund

I really hate the WWI-trenches of Clark. Must every allied player always put every single unit in that hex?

I thought I could overwhelm it by using most of my major units, but to no avail. 8 Divisions still fail to take the hex.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 260
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/19/2012 4:43:09 PM   
CRations

Can I ask what the loss ratios looked like from the combat report?

I'm curious about other factors that have an influence on the combat roll... What was the level of planning you had for FO in your stack? Did you have any HQ units in range to help with the planning? And your division & HQ leaders - did you change any of them to get better stats?

Did you include ground attacks from air assets to help reduce the allied units effectiveness?

I hope you don't mind all of my questions - I'm just trying to get a picture in my head of the battle for that day. Sometimes, no matter how I stack the dice, I still roll snake-eyes. Do you think this was just a bad roll of the dice?

CR

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 261
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/19/2012 5:03:24 PM   
Hortlund

All the leaders are 70+, all supply and support are in the whites. Prep is between 30-60 depending on unit. No forts because of air-attacks on the runways. Paras dropped both days. One Corps HQ in the hex that commands two of the divisions.

Day 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 108175 troops, 1120 guns, 705 vehicles, Assault Value = 3456

Defending force 43009 troops, 616 guns, 534 vehicles, Assault Value = 1291

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 2080

Allied adjusted defense: 1915

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
5562 casualties reported
Squads: 39 destroyed, 510 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 75 disabled
Engineers: 100 destroyed, 143 disabled
Guns lost 28 (6 destroyed, 22 disabled)
Vehicles lost 116 (12 destroyed, 104 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3792 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 408 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 60 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 33 disabled
Guns lost 94 (6 destroyed, 88 disabled)
Vehicles lost 12 (2 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Assaulting units:
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
16th Division
7th Tank Regiment
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
18th Division
Imperial Guards Division
48th Division
33rd Division
21st Division
38th Division
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
4th Division
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /2
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
14th Army
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Mortar Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
4th Marine Regiment
51st PA Infantry Division
91st PA Infantry Division
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
1st PA Infantry Division
194th Tank Battalion
21st PA Infantry Division
14th PS Engineer Regiment
31st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Constabulary Regiment
41st PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
192nd Tank Battalion
11th PA Infantry Division
71st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Regiment
86th PS Coastal Artillery Battalion
USAFFE
I Philippine Corps
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
Far East USAAF
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
Cavite USN Base Force
1st PI Base Force
Subic Bay Defenses

Day 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 102243 troops, 1119 guns, 691 vehicles, Assault Value = 2968

Defending force 40219 troops, 609 guns, 531 vehicles, Assault Value = 952

Japanese adjusted assault: 1690

Allied adjusted defense: 1414

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
4003 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 282 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 102 disabled
Engineers: 36 destroyed, 77 disabled
Guns lost 33 (4 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 75 (23 destroyed, 52 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
846 casualties reported
Squads: 37 destroyed, 139 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 104 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 45 (9 destroyed, 36 disabled)
Vehicles lost 61 (12 destroyed, 49 disabled)

Assaulting units:
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
4th Division
48th Division
7th Tank Regiment
16th Division
21st Division
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
38th Division
18th Division
33rd Division
4th Tank Regiment
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /2
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
14th Army
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
2nd Mortar Battalion
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
192nd Tank Battalion
4th Marine Regiment
1st PA Constabulary Regiment
31st PA Infantry Division
194th Tank Battalion
31st Infantry Regiment
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
91st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Infantry Division
11th PA Infantry Division
41st PA Infantry Division
21st PA Infantry Division
51st PA Infantry Division
14th PS Engineer Regiment
71st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Regiment
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
Cavite USN Base Force
I Philippine Corps
USAFFE
1st PI Base Force
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
Far East USAAF
86th PS Coastal Artillery Battalion
Subic Bay Defenses

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 262
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/19/2012 5:39:09 PM   
CRations

So you started with a tad over 2:1 in troops.

For me - I'd bomb & shell the crap out of the allies for a day or two to try and keep the enemy suppressed while my grunts recover and then I'd shock again. That's SOP - right?

I seem to remember reading someone's AAR (or maybe the questions\answers for newbees?) where they said there is an advantage by having double the supplies needed? Do you know if that is true?

I liked seeing engineers reduce forts to 0. Seeing what looks like 2/5ths of the engineer squads destroyed looks yukky tho.

Is there any advantage to dividing the divisions and then recombining them? Does that change how fast they recover?

Does dropping a para-unit force a shock attack?

And thanks for the show-and-tell. Not to sound rude but it's much better to learn on someone else s dime if there's an option.

CR

< Message edited by CRations -- 6/19/2012 5:43:41 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 263
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/19/2012 6:48:27 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

quote:

Depends on what the defences looks like. I am somewhat reluctant to attack on shore, since that will bring the entire US restricted army into play.

If Im reading the tea-leaves correctly, he is reinforcing in Canada/northern US, so that seems to indicate there will not be any huge land offensive up here. Just a credible threat that draws him in, making him commit more and more forces up here.

And, like I said, I think he will launch his first counteroffensive up here. There are just too many benefits for him not to really. It is close to his home bases, far from mine, he can use restricted bomber units even. The shape of the Japanese defensive positions will resemble the cresent of the moon, he will have alot of CVs avaliable together with the ability to raid north from Pearl etc. If I just show him the KB somewhere completely elsewhere, like around India, I think he will launch a big attack aimed at Cold Harbor - Attu with the objective of completely cutting off everything east of there.

And that is where Im planning to be waiting for him.

Sounds very sound! When you really know where he'll attack, you can prepare accordingly. Very interesting approach.

So apart from China and Alaska, you'll mainly stick to the historic expansion?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 264
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/19/2012 7:51:53 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

I really hate the WWI-trenches of Clark. Must every allied player always put every single unit in that hex?

The pwhex file with stacking limits prevents this ... and the Chineese Death Stars .. just for future reference ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 265
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/20/2012 1:00:07 PM   
Hortlund

Here is an overview of what will happen in the next few months in China.

Verdun
Two objectives here.
1. Make Canoe think Im serious about pushing towards Sian or due west from the plains.
2. Kill 350 Squads per month

Feint from Indo-China
Three militia regiments will march through the jungle north. With any luck, Canoe will spot them and send reinforcements this way.

Feint around Changsa
A big stack of 2k AV will move around in a threatening manner around the Changsa-area. Hopefully this will make Canoe think Im attacking in this area.

The big push
Roughly 2k AV together with massive artillery support. This attack aims to cut the connections between north and central China. If successful, this should further limit the Chinese supply situation. After the connection is cut, I will clear out all the northern bases.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 266
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/20/2012 3:04:59 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

Sounds very sound! When you really know where he'll attack, you can prepare accordingly. Very interesting approach.

So apart from China and Alaska, you'll mainly stick to the historic expansion?

More or less. It seems he is not defending Darwin, so Im going to try to take it too. Ive only committed 2 tank units, but there doesnt seem to be much resistance. Not too sure about Port Moresby. He doesnt seem to defend that either. I was planning on not taking PM or Darwin, but I might reconsider.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 267
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/20/2012 3:15:59 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

So you started with a tad over 2:1 in troops.

For me - I'd bomb & shell the crap out of the allies for a day or two to try and keep the enemy suppressed while my grunts recover and then I'd shock again. That's SOP - right?

I seem to remember reading someone's AAR (or maybe the questions\answers for newbees?) where they said there is an advantage by having double the supplies needed? Do you know if that is true?

I liked seeing engineers reduce forts to 0. Seeing what looks like 2/5ths of the engineer squads destroyed looks yukky tho.

Is there any advantage to dividing the divisions and then recombining them? Does that change how fast they recover?

Does dropping a para-unit force a shock attack?

And thanks for the show-and-tell. Not to sound rude but it's much better to learn on someone else s dime if there's an option.

CR

Yeah, the more supplies the better.

Ive heard that dividing divisions does make them recover faster, I doubt it though. I think it is more important to have a good leader (good admin-rating). But perhaps you recover faster if you have a good leader for each sub-unit of the division.

No, only the para-unit does a shock attack, the rest of the stack does a deliberate attack.

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 268
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/20/2012 3:31:59 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Ive heard that dividing divisions does make them recover faster, I doubt it though.

So far what I have experinced in the algorithum I can rationalize why this might be true. It seems that the game picks a unit meting alll the criteria for replacements, and then allocates a maximum number of replacements to that unit. Thus if a Division is divided into the 3 units each of the units is eligible for replacements. Thus supporting the notion of dividing divisions into smaller units. But I think you have a point in that the Admin rating for each of the units would need to be checked.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 269
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/20/2012 4:04:05 PM   
Hortlund

I realize I havent been updating this AAR enough. Sorry about that. Lots of RL-stuff. I'll do a quick text-only walkthrough of the past two weeks.

Burma
I only have one regiment here, together with half an infantry brigade and some Thai units. Despite this, we have cut the Burma road, and yesterday Rangoon fell. After the achievement of our initial objective (to cut the Burma road) this is a sideshow really. Im just trying to grab terrain.

Seems to be an allied buildup in the Andamans. Port Blair has 4 units and fighter cover.

Malaya
Everything is holed up in Singapore and about 1000 Jap AV is watching Johore Bharu. Im sending in bombers everyday to keep the airfields of Singapore supressed.

Java
Some small units have been on-shore for two weeks. No counterattack and no defensive concentration from the Dutch. we are slowly moving down towards Soerebaja. Ive moved in three regiments from Malaya to help with the conquest. These units should be enough to complete the conquest.

Lower NEI/Darwin
Two tank regiments are ashore, moving to cut off Darwin. The enemy seems to be retreating from Darwin, which is unexpected and great. Sun Tzu works.

Rabaul
Nothing much going on here. I have Lae, Shortlands and Rabaul. Im not sure what to do with Port Moresby. He didnt defend Darwin. Does that mean he isnt defending Port Moresby either?

Philippines
The senseless slaughter at the Somme..I mean Clark continues.

NoPac
I'll post a screenshot next turn. Im building a naval base at Juneau. Siege of Anchorage continues.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI