Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Southern Cross

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Southern Cross Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Southern Cross - 6/3/2012 5:57:19 PM   
ny59giants

Where is Guderian and his panzers when you need them??

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 601
RE: Southern Cross - 6/3/2012 11:48:43 PM   
John 3rd

Panzers? PANZERS??!! We don't need no stinkin' Panzers! The pure ideological superiority of the Japanese fighting man is and shall continue to carry the day.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 602
Southern Cross - 6/3/2012 11:54:01 PM   
John 3rd

In this shot we see the advancement of the Japanese in this area of Australia. The 4th ID is driving down the road near the coast, a TK Reg moves SSE towards Cunderdin, while Paras hit Albany. There are about 30-40 planes flying out of Perth right now and they got hurt pretty good last turn over Busselton.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 603
Objective: Katha - 6/4/2012 12:02:17 AM   
John 3rd

There are OTHER arenas of war and here we have Burma in its current situation. The 5th ID and 2 TK Reg work to get to Katha. A 3rd TK Reg works to get behind the position to force a retreat off the RR and road. A total of nine units are in the town--strength unknown.

Have an Inf Reg moving East to grab Lashio.

Over at Port Blair we see the Imperial Guards being unloaded.

Have about 200 Army aircraft in theatre with another 54 Naval planes present.

When the new ID arrives from China, we'll seriously look at advancing up the coast a bit and maybe grab Akyab. If nothing else it will serve to occupy Lew's attention while I work to form up a real defensive line and await the reinforcements once Cocos falls.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 604
VP Screen - 6/4/2012 12:06:11 AM   
John 3rd

Just take a look at the current VP Screenshot. I circled or marked total game score, ship losses, and base totals:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 605
Ship Losses to CAs - 6/4/2012 12:09:33 AM   
John 3rd

Here are the Allies ship losses down to CA Australia. Saratoga is on this list and I do not know why. Would love to have a 'Mutsu-like' event happen to her but I doubt it.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 606
CAs-CLs - 6/4/2012 12:12:38 AM   
John 3rd

Here is the remaining portion of the screenshot picking up with the first ship after Australia down to a couple of DDs.

STAGGERING!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 607
April 10, 1942 - 6/5/2012 4:16:01 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 10, 1942

Some interesting developments this turn as things continue to play out throughout the map.

North Pacific
Construction units unloaded at Umnak as the base goes to AF-1.

Central Pacific
The reinforced Jaliut Strike Force slips their moorings and head to sea. The TF comprises 2 CA, 2 CL, 6 DD. The purpose of this raid is to hit shipping at Christmas Isle. The attack will occupy Lew's attention, however, the true purpose of the raid is to do aerial recon of every island. This should provide at least a hint of what is present in the Line Islands.

Tabiteau is looking better. Have got two Base Forces, an SNLF Assault Brigade, and two smaller units present. Base construction accelerating.

Just got several new Air Search units as reinforcements at Kwajalein. Am resting them and then upgrading to Emily. They will fly from Tabiteau and do Recon as well as Air Search.

South Pacific
No major developments.

Australia
NW Aust
Looks like one of the Aussie IDs has finally slipped below Tennant Creek heading for Alice Springs.

Western Aust
50,144 (North of Perth) sees 7 B-25 arrive to bomb the ID there and they are met by 12 Zero. Roughly half the bombers are shot down.

I am stunned when Busselton is BOMBARDED by a lone Brit DD and then the modern CL Newcastle and 2 more DDs do the same thing. What the HELL? Why risk these ships? Why Busselton? I have a TF of 2 CL and 6 DD nearby. We'll see if he really wants to play. Shift the Betty's at Geraldton back to Naval Attack--Ground Attack.

My Albany Para drop flops as he flies in (where are the Allied Transports) elements of an Aussie Brigade. The attack comes off at 1-5. Will rest the Paras and then do another drop plus an attack.

Southern Aust
Hex 75,161 (north of Adelaide) is taken in a 26-1 attack that puts us just a hex from the target.

Wagga Wagga has the Japanese attack and gets a 1-1 with the Forts dropping from 2-1. The TK Reg should have the base tomorrow.

The KB arrives at Sydney and gets a weekend pass.

Shipping at Brisbane. Order some Vals and Kates as well as Betty to deal with that.

Eastern Aust
Bowen is re-occupied by the Aussies.

The 144th Inf Reg arrives at the hex where the Aussie Armor retreated. They will force another retreat and then return to Rockhampton.

The former Chinese 13th Inf Div passes Rabaul and will land at Rockhampton then drive north to take that part of the continent.

DEI
CA Myoko stays afloat and will arrive and disband at Oosthaven tomorrow. An AR from Soerabaja has been sent to help with repairs.

Form-up a 2 CA and 4 DD TF to deal with shipping around Christmas.

The final base in Sumatra falls as a TK Reg takes Benkalis.

Have started a major re-organization of my TK and AK for fuel and resources hauling. This will take a while but should serve to streamline my system.

China
With Sian a bust, I am shifting over to driving out Chinese units behind my lines. Hex 84,52 sees a Chinese Corps crushed and riven out in a 5-1 attack. Cas: Japan 1380 for 5053 Chinese.

SS OPs
I-20 puts a Torp into AP Montoro near Stewart Isle (New Zealand)

Engineering
Umnak AF-1

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/5/2012 4:20:16 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 608
RE: Southern Cross - 6/5/2012 6:23:39 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Where is Guderian and his panzers when you need them??

Southern Area Panzer Army!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 609
Cherry Blossom - 6/7/2012 6:26:51 AM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 11-12, 1942

We are now approaching mid-April. I think that I can safely predict that Australia will be wrapped up within 30 days. Figure about 20-30 after THAT happens we shall commence the Cocos and Line Island Operations. To provide a rough guideline, we are setting June 5th for Cocos and June 20th for Line Islands. Operational names shall be chosen pretty soon.

North Pacific
Nothing much happening here. Have significant reinforcements due within 3-10 days and will detail their deployment at that time.

Central Pacific
As mentioned earlier I had formed up the Jaliut Striking Force for a combined attack and Christmas as well as Recon of all bases within the chain. Have decided to recall the TF and sortie my two CVs from Truk to add support. My intention is to use them as distant cover and provide LR CAP over the STF as is hits and then retires from Christmas. Last time we visited this location there was a Squadron of SBDs present. Would love to chew them up some...

South Pacific
Am redeploying the large concentration of I-Boats that were near Australia. About half a dozen are around New Zealand and another 8-10 are infesting the waters around Suva and Pago Pago. Will soon add another 6-8 near the Line Islands.

Australia
NW Area
No major developments except my opponent stages his own form of CAP trap just north of Tennant Creek. About 8-10 P-40 chew into severl Sally raids effectively shooting down nearly a dozen bombers. Nice sting on his part. Shift targets so that won't happen again.

Western Area
Looking for the Newcastle TF I attack Perth with bombers and sink an AMc. Nothing else present. Wonder where those ships came from? Hmmm...

A TK Reg reaches Cumberlin (just east of Perth) and will attack against a single unit tomorrow.

Southern Area
Wagga Wagga falls on the 12th.

Take hex 86,168 (NW of Canberra) also on the 12th.

Sydney now has a major portion of the Kaigun disbanded there so lew tries to hit it with 5 B-17s. They are attacked by nearly 60 fighters and half are shot down. Nice to see a few fall. No damage sustained and three heavy AA Bn unload and will now provide some real AA fire for these planes to deal with.

I redirect the 33rd ID at Wagga Wagga to move north along the secondary roads heading for Brisbane.

Eastern Area.
The 144th Reg drives 3 units out of hex 94,153 (SW of Rockhampton) and heads back towards Rockhampton.

A total of 14 Aussie units are approaching this base. I have 250 AV behind Level 3 Forts. Am not too worried. When the 144th returns the AV will jump to nearly 400. Let the 1st ID and 11th Aust Brig try to take the base back...

Brisbane is now threatened by the approaching 13th ID. Won't be too long now. Spot some shipping at Brisbane and bring Hiryu and Shokaky out a few hexes where they sink DD Mahan and an AK on the 12th. Don't know what they were doing there.

DEI
CA Myoko arrives and disbands at Oosthaven with an AR present. The ship has 57 SYS, 50 Flot, and 5 Eng Dam. Will work it down some and then head for Singapore. This event follows a pattern that has truly emerged in this game of my being able to get heavily damaged warships home for repair. How many CV-CVLs COULD I have lost? Saving this valuable warship is just another example.

Soryu and Shoho will be operation at Hong Kong and Manila within 5 days. Will use them to resize some units and then head for Java.

Burma
Looks like he is trying to run away at Katha. Man---If he pulls out of there without a fight, I shall take this for FREE and head for Myitkyina. Another TK Reg lands raising my total to in this theatre.

China
Calm.

SS Ops
I-20 hits AP Idomeneus with a Torp near Stewart Isle (NZ)

Ro-33 gets pummeled by a couple of Brit DDs near Cocos and runs home for repairs.

Engineering
Paramushiro Jima AF-5
Ominato Pt-7

Major LCU reinforcements arriving over the next 7-10 days and will detail them as they enter the picture.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/7/2012 6:30:32 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 610
Operations - 6/7/2012 6:34:34 AM   
John 3rd

We have chosen the Operational names for the next pair of Offensives:

Operation Maikaze (Whirlwind) shall be the Invasion of Cocos Isle.

Operation Tachikaze (Wind from a Swinging Sword) shall be the Invasion of the Line Islands.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 611
RE: Operations - 6/7/2012 10:52:20 AM   
janh

Absolutely, a little luck getting the damaged ships back to safety have earned you big time -- without it, your ambitious plans might have failed, but I like it better this way. Lew is going to get enough reinforcements soon, and he has not yet had (lost?) a decisive CV engagement, so a few losses on his side are only going to make the game one of the most exciting that I followed. His CA losses look serious, though -- that must hurt in the long run?

Any reason why you split both ops between June 5 and 20th? Are you planning to use KB to support both?

Also, the Newcastle act looks goofy. Also Cocos does. The night you posted your attack plans with Myoko, I was already wondering what would be luring beyond the dark? Especially in regards to Sara, Hornet and Yorktown? Any idea on their whereabouts? As far as I can judge, and you said, Lew seems also to be an ambitious and daring player, and he doesn't seem to worry about splitting up or risking his CV. Any chance you might stumble into them at the Line Islands? Or at Cocos, soon?

Will you bring some AO support with the LI raid? I probably would, and would split out a fast CA after and have it roam around a bit between Hawaii and CONUSA for a while. A risk, but maybe it will add to Lew's problems and worries?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 612
RE: Operations - 6/7/2012 3:44:11 PM   
John 3rd

janh: Excellent Post that packs a ton of thoughts and questions in just a few short lines. Let me see...OK:

1. His cruiser losses are devastating. I'd like to get a crack at some of his BBs. They are somewhere. Line Islands may draw them...

2. I separated the Operations simply do to distance and concerns about the US CV Fleet. Cocos will have some Cover with having Christmas Isle operational. Am hoping for the AF to be either 2 or 3. If I can find the American CVs before that then I might do these Operations together. I've pulled a good amount of shipping back towards Japan to get my convoys running more efficiently. I am running serious risks with not having enough AKs in the pipeline. Doing TWO major Operations in far-flung portions of the map will--once again--severely tax my merchant marine.

What of the Japanese CVs? I'm of two minds. My gut tells me that I could support Cocos with just a few CV--CVLs, however, I don't want to get caught doing something half-assed. Operationally I will have everything repaired as well as Hiyo present. CVs:

CarDiv1: Akagi--Kaga--Shoho
CarDiv2: Hiryu--Soryu--Zuiho
CarDiv3: Junyo--Hiyo--Ryujo
CarDiv5: Shokaku--Zuikaku--Nisshin

Initial thoughts are for CarDiv3 to Cover Cocos while the other 3 Divisions take care of Christmas. Not sure. Might use two Division for Cocos and have the other six CV--CVLs resting or Raiding in the SE Pacific.

3. Newcastle? His decision to send what appears to be his only ground strength into a buzzsaw does not make sense to me. Then again Australia has made little sense so far.

I'm worried about a trap near Cocos right now too. There has been shipping present for 3-4 turns and I haven't been able to get at them. What is he doing? Retreat--doubtful. Reinforcement--probable. Won't know without more recon. Am moving another Mavis--Emily unit into the area.

4. Am concentrating my AOs at Truk and will send off a few of the smaller ones to Support Cocos while the vast majority prepare for Line Islands. Need to run more fuel into Truk and then on to the Marshalls. Will use the AOs for several runs to augment my current TK Fleet.

You can bet that I will shoot Raiders into the eastern Pacific as I get Line Islands going!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/7/2012 3:45:18 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 613
April 13, 1942 - 6/8/2012 10:12:10 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 13, 1942

Things have been slow with Lew and I this week. Has given me a case of the AE Withdrawals! We had action this day!

North Pacific
Nothing exciting.

Central Pacific
The Jaluit Striking Force will take a swipe at Baker as it passes while returning to Jaluit. Don't know if anything is present so I doubt if anything will happen. Once the TF returns to its base we'll refuel and make for Christmas with some fighter cover brought by Junyo and Nisshin.

South Pacific
Reinforcements now unloading at Efate and Luganville. This line--and Noumea--looks pretty good this point.

Australia
NW Aust
Normal Bombing attacks on the 2nd Aust ID.

Western Australia
Though Lew tries to weaken the 8th TK Reg, it easily takes Cunderlin. Perth is now cutoff from the world. He attacked Cunderlin with 8 B-25/-26 and 8 Wirraway. The 28th Aust Bn retreated the WRONG way towards Perth. NICE!

Have a TF of 1 CL and 5 DD at Busselton. Split it and send the smaller TF to Esperance and Albany.

Paras are ordered to Assault Esperance.

Southern Australia
One hex from Adelaide and Broken Hill.

Eastern Australia
Rockhampton has the 1st Aust ID there now. I bombard doing 70+ Casualties while the 'tender' attentions of Nagato and Mutsu add another 258 Cas. The 144th Reg returns to the base just in time. He would be nuts to attack. I will attack the unit for a day or two and then attack to force a retreat. Doing that shall open the door of conquest for Eastern and NE Australia.

In an attempt at a RUDE surprise, Brisbane launches an attack of 18 F and 23 SBD (from Lex) at my pair of BCs moving up to attack Rockhampton. These DB Squadrons have taken terrible casualties and it shows when all the bombs miss Kongo and Haruna in the morning and only 1 bomb hit Kongo in the afternoon. In exchange for this, 4 F and 8 SBD are shotdown by LRCAP or AA fire. Pretty decent.

Order all bombers to hit Brisbane's AF tomorrow. Have been occasionally smacking it but now I am done.

DEI
Another Naval Battle at Cocos Isle! Cannot even begin to count the number of times we have clashed here. Last time saw CA Dorsetshire punish CA Myoko. This day belongs to Japan. CAs Atago and Maya with 4 DD get the drop of CA Dorsetshire and 3 Brit DDs. Dorsetshire SINKS under a hail of 8 8" Shells and 2 Long Lances from Atago. SCRATCH YET ANOTHER CA! After they drive the DDs away, the TF swings in and sinks two large AKs in the harbor. Good work.

Christmas Ilse IO has Southern Army unloading to join the Base Force and 3 small Con Bn there.

Burma
Looks like he is pulling out of Katha. One unit left the hex this turn. Will watch with interest.

China
Nothing.

SS Ops
I-3 finishes off AP Idomeneus at Invercargill, NZ.

I-165 sinks TK Angelina at Esperance, Aust. This is why I order the STF at Busselton to check both ports in this area.

Engineering
Koepang Pt-4

Reinforcements:
This turn sees 2 Air Flotilla, 1 Mtr Bn, 7 Naval Guard, 4 SNLF Coy, and 2 AA units arrive in Truk, Tokyo, and Manchuria. They are already being loaded where possible.

THIS was a good turn!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/8/2012 10:14:14 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 614
Battle of Cocos Island (Again!) - 6/8/2012 10:16:04 PM   
John 3rd

Here is a delightful screenshot!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 615
RE: Battle of Cocos Island (Again!) - 6/8/2012 10:58:20 PM   
John 3rd

If you are not keeping count, the loss of Dorsetshire makes THIRTEEN confirmed sunk Allied CAs!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 616
IJN SS Performance - 6/9/2012 2:44:24 AM   
John 3rd

Reluctant Admiral 4.0
Racing the Sunrise
SS Sinkings/Damaged

April 13, 1942

The Japanese Sub Arm continues to have excellent success in preying on Allied shipping to this point of the war. As long as the Subs keep getting moved along to differing areas they do pretty well. The best hunting grounds are pretty obvious from the list below. There is an Ro- and an I-Boat that are ACES presently! Ro-33 is the CHAMION of the war right now with 8 successful attacks.

Only 1 Japanese SS has been sunk at that point. Have been lucky to get a number of boats home that were severely damaged but lived to fight another day.

Here are the numbers:

Midgets
AG Antares Pearl Harbor 12-08-41

Ro-Class
Ro-33
AP Bloemfontein (D) Iliolo 12-08-41
ACP Niagara Iliolo 12-08-41
AKL Joan Moller Lucena 12-11-41
AKL Chengtu (D) Lucena 12-11-41
AK Hailzones Cocos 01-22-42
AK Empire Curlew (D) Cocos 02-18-42
AK Mahsud Cocos 04-05-42
CL Colombo Cocos 04-09-42

Ro-34
AP Republic Iliolo 12-08-41
S-41 Balbac 01-02-42
AP Glenapp Sabang 01-16-42
AK Katrina (D) Sabang 01-16-42

R0-61
AK Castor Canton 03-22-42

Ro-65
CL Adelaide Port Moresby 12-09-41

Minelayer SS
I-121
AKL Nam Young Malacca 12-10-41

I-122
AK Steel Worker Horn Isle 01-04-42

I-123
AKL Mangellanes Tawi Tawi 12-09-41

I-124
AO Tan 1 Tandjoenselor 12-08-41
AG Albatross Tandjoenselor 12-08-41
AP Rochussen Tjilitjap 12-23-41

I-Boats
I-2
AK Skagerak Newcastle 01-05-42

I-3
AK Steel Age Newcastle 01-06-42
AP Idomeneus Invercargil 04-13-42

I-4
AP Kota Agoeng Channel Isles 01-22-42

I-5
AP Kota Baroe Channel Isles 01-23-42

I-6
AKL Ngakuta Burnie 03-25-42

I-9
TK Mobilstation (D) Channel Isles 12-17-41

I-10
AK Steel Ranger (D) Pago Pago 12-30-41
AK Salamaua Gau 01-16-42

I-15
TK California Standard Channel Isles 12-16-41
TK Mobilfuel Channel Isles 12-17-41
AM Cessnock Channel Isles 03-29-42

I-16
TK Herborg Port Kembla 12-16-41

I-17
AK Royal T. Frank Pago Pago 02-03-42
AP President Jackson Pago Pago 02-03-42

I-19
AK San Gabriel (D) X-Mas 02-04-42
AK Mormacman X-Mas 02-05-42

I-20
AP Montoro (D) Stewart Isle 04-10-42
AP Idomeneus Stewart Isle 04-12-42

I-23
TK Osthaus Sydney 03-20-42
AP Darvel Canberra 03-23-42
TK Ostlav Newcastle 03-24-42

I-25
AK Mary Livanos Sale 02-21-42
AKL Kailua Mauke 03-26-42

I-28
AK Utahan Dutch Harbor 03-12-42

I-153
DD John Ford Balikpapan 12-10-41
AP Rajula (D) Cocos 01-01-42
AK Gandara Cocos 01-01-42

I-155
AK Demosthenes Oosthaven 12-13-41
AKL Belawan Oosthaven 12-14-41
AK Khandalla (D) Cocos 01-25-42
AK Empire Condor (D) Cocos 02-16-42
AK Empire Peregrine Cocos 02-21-42
AK Adrastus Cocos 03-20-42
CL Colombo (D) Cocos 04-08-42

I-157
AP Australia Star Koggala 12-10-41
TK Peik (D) Albany 01-19-42
AK Gorgon (D) Busselton 03-27-42

I-158
AK Silverteak (D) Koggala 12-30-41
AK Charon Geraldton 01-20-42
AKL Proteus Albany 03-27-42

I-159
CMc Pro Patria Muntok 12-09-41
TK British Judge (D) Oosthaven 12-13-41
AKL Tatung Oosthaven 12-13-41
AP Camphuys Oosthaven 12-14-41

I-160
AK Ellenga Tambelan 12-12-41
AP Doumer Colombo 03-23-42

I-162
AK Empire Raja Trivandrum 01-10-42

I-164
AK El Madina Trivandrum 04-01-42

I-165
TK Angelina Esperance 04-13-42

I-166
CM Willem vd Zoor Toboali 12-10-41

I-168
AP President Coolidge (D) Pago Pago 12-11-41
AP Hugh Scott Pago Pago 12-11-41
CA Louisville (D) Suva 01-11-42
DD Clark Christmas 03-19-42

I-169
AG Bridge Suva 01-14-42
AK Alabaman (D) Suva 01-14-42
AK Steel Trader (D) Suva 01-15-42
AK Santa Rita Suva 02-11-42

I-170
AP Etolin X-Mas 01-06-42
TK H.M. Storey (D) X-Mas 01-06-42
TK Mobilgas X-Mas 01-06-42
AK Lillian Lucken (D) Palmerson 04-05-42
AK Iron Warrior (D) Palmerson 04-05-42

I-173
AK Corinda Sale 03-24-42
TK British Motorist Sale 03-25-42

I-175
AVP Reiger Coff’s Harbor 03-22-42
AP Sarpedonia (D) Newcastle 03-23-42

Japanese Losses
I-166 Mine Batavia 12-14-41

Allied Ships Sunk/Damaged---88 Total
CA Louisville
CL Adelaide, Colombo
DD John Ford, Clark
SS S-41
DM 1
AG 3
ACP 1
AVP 1
CM 1
CMc 1
AO 1
TK 12
AP 18
AK 33
AKL 9

This Posting is always messy but it certainly hammers home the success of the war effort by these boats to this point.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/9/2012 2:45:58 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 617
Adelaide FALLS! - 6/13/2012 2:53:39 PM   
John 3rd

Lew and I are really making hash of our playing right now. When I am home he is not and he is home I am not. This has really slowed us down and the rest of June doesn't look much better. I've got two turns to update with and will do so while the boys are at the library in an hour. Here is a lovely screenshot though!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 618
The Fall of Australia: April 14-18, 1942 - 6/19/2012 7:58:33 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 14-18, 1942

I've sat on these turns for a few days hoping that Lew and I could get a few more in, however, he is now on his Anniversary hiatus so I gave up and decided to catch everyone up on the state of action. Everyday right now sees a major and/or minor city within Australia fall. It is pretty crazy to watch. There is so little resistance that I have broken up 3 Japanese Inf Div into their -A, -B, -C components to speed the process up.

North Pacific
No activity. Engineers are digging and expanding bases but nothing to report.

Central Pacific
My CV TF arrives at Jaliut and refuels. The Jaliut Striking Force departs for Christmas Isle. Junyo and NIsshin will trail it by 4-5 hexes and provide LR CAP. I offload the Vals on Junyo and add a Daitai of Zeros which serves to bring up my Fighter complement nearly 60 Zeros. SHOULD be enough to protect the CVs as well as place a light defense over the STF. This is a Recon Mission in force. I want to recon all of the Line Islands to try and get some form of idea as to what is present here.

Reinforcements continue to load in Toyko and fan out to various Central and Southern Pacific bases to buttress defenses and prepare for the Line Islands Campaign.

South Pacific
There is a BUNCH of Allied aircraft and units at Suva. Got to keep an eye on this. I now have fairly strong garrisons at Luganville, Efate and Noumea.

Australia
NW Australia
My 3 TK Reg and 65th Brigade are now driving south. The 2nd Aust ID continues to be pummeled everyday but nearly 100 bombers.

Lew is using some 2EB and Liberators to try to slow me down. Stage a major ambush on the 17th over my TK Reg with 40+ Zero/Oscars and shot down 4-6 B-25/B-26 and damage nearly everything else. That sting slows things down a little.

Western Australia
My Paras continue to invest Albany and Esperance.

Take hex 50,146 near Perth on the 15th.

Perth FALLS on the 18th! My Inf Div has a 8-1 attack and grabs the intact base on its first attack. How about that??!!

Now it is time to drive on Albany, Esperance, and Kalgoorlie.

Southern Australia
CRAZY! Bases taken:
4-14 Geelong FALLS in a 10-1 attack.
4-15 Adelaide FALLS to a 11-1 assault.
4-17 Ballarat FALLS to a 36-1 assault.

The Two Inf Div at or near Adelaide drive east to crush the units there. Hex 84,167 is taken on the 17th and 76,162 goes on the 18th.

Broken Hill holds off a TK Reg on the 16th bringing about a 1-2 attack.

Eastern Australia
Rockhampton is invested by the 1st Aust ID, 2 Brig, and 5 other units. Don't know why they are simply sitting there but I have 75+ IJA Bombers hitting them everyday and have 3 BB Bombardments hit the location over these days.

BRISBANE FALLS on the 17th!

The Bowen Invasion Force lands the 14th Inf Div on the 17th. A fairly strong Allied counterattack develops and the Japanese Fighters do great work protecting the TF. The Lexington SBD Squadron is destroyed yet once again, P-40s, Hudsons, A-29, and Wirraways attempt to get through the LR CAP and many are shot down. Those that do get through don't do much damage at all and things look pretty good. The ID will attack Bowen on the 19th and then drive North towards Townsville...

KB ATTACKS!
After spotting that TF of APs NE of New Zealand several days earlier, I order two CVs to leave Sydney and try for an intercept in New Zealand. The CVs find the TF unloading at Wellington on the 18th and they truly deliver a masterful punch! In two large Strikes, the large APs Mariposa, Harris, Wharton, and Maui are sunk. The Lurline is probably sunk as well. A DD and 3 AKs get smacked also during the attacks.

Only bad news is an unescorted raid of Kates attacks CL Concord and gets jumped by 5 Fighters. Lose 8 Kates and five pilots for no hits.

The CVs retire back towards Sydeny proving that I just MIGHT BE interested in New Zealand...

DEI
CVL Zuiho is back in action and I spend two days resizing a Val and Kate unit from 9 or 12 to 27. Have got 3 more to do. Soryu shall be completed tomorrow and will sail down to Manila and link-up with Zuiho. PROGRESS at getting the damaged chicks repaired.

Have detailed two Naval Guard units in Tokyo to finish capturing the small bases behind the lines that I haven't taken yet. The units will be in 4 small AKL each and I will then divide them by 2 so I have 4 separate TF grabbing up bases and dots.

Have 2 CA TF making their runs into Cocos tomorrow and we'll see if they bag anything. They are set for Bombardment runs.

Burma
A new TK Reg is unloaded at Rangoon and it begins the march towards Akyab. On the way it smacks a refugee unit at hex 54,51.

My Inf Div and 2 TK units arrive at Katha and attack. The 17th sees a 1-1 attack that drops the Forts to 1. Will attack on the 19th and finish Katha at that point. Guess it is on to Myitkyina at that point...

China
Numerous attacks driving the Chinese units from behind my lines OUT. Take hexes 86,44 (near Nanyang), 84,54, 85,46, and 83,51.

SS Ops
Lose I-4 to damage incurred NE of Christmas Isle. Too bad. It had nearly made it to Jaliut.
4-17 sees I-154 sink AKL De Hoan near Cocos with 2 TT.

Reinforcements
4-14 DD Takinami arrives at Pt. Arthur.
4-14 Numerous Air Reinforcements arrive at Takao, Sapporo, Tokyo, and Ominato.

Engineering:
4-14 Port Blair AF-2
4-14 Exmouth AF-4

Those are the developments. Australia is moving FAST!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/19/2012 8:01:57 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 619
Brisbane - 6/19/2012 7:59:18 PM   
John 3rd

Here is the Brisbane Screenshot:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 620
Hmmm... - 6/22/2012 7:26:01 AM   
John 3rd

We have a new wrinkle at Cocos Isle:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 621
Hmmm... - 6/22/2012 6:17:52 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 19, 1942

A serious development occurs as planes are now flying out of Cocos Isle. This development costs me a minor ship and might cost me a major one. Gonna have to deal with that!

North Pacific
No big deal.

Central Pacific
The Jaliut Strike Force and CV Escort pass north of Baker. Recon tells me that Baker is empty and Canton only has one unit in it. This is a serious mistake. With me wrapped up in Australia, Lew should have been filling these places up with defense forces. I shall task the SNLF Brigades at Tabiteau to grab Canton and I'll send a Fast TF to grab Baker. This should make him concerned about the area and distract him some.

South Pacific
Nada

Australia
NW Area
My two TK Reg and 65th Brigade are closing in on their target. No aerial activity since I stung those B-25/B-26 a few days ago.

Western Area
Troops moving out for Albany, Kalgoorlie, and other points.

Southern Area
Troops fanning out EVERYWHERE to speed the process. Am finding out the garrison requirements are more then I planned. This may cause some serious issues down the road. Think I will buy out a batch of the Chinese Reinforcement Brigades we get to provide the troops needed.

Eastern Area
Action here:

Bowen gets attacked by the 14th ID and scores a 1-1 (164-131) and drops the Forts to ZERO. Order a BB Bombardment and two Sentai of Bombers to hit the troops there in conjunction with a Shock Attack for tomorrow. SHOULD be enough to grab the base.

Rockhampton EASILY holds against the 1st Aust ID and two Aussie Brigades. The attack scores a 1-9 against my boys with 232 Japanese Cas and 1223 Australian. The troops were hit with BB Fuso and a CA plus about 80 Bombers earlier prior to the attack. Now it is MY turn. Order the garrison to attack!

95,160 (West of Brisbane) is taken in a 9-1 attack.

DEI
Cocos provides a wealth of combat information this day. The night sees Atago and Chokai with 4 DD swing into the area and fight 3 DDs. Fairly useless fight with not much happening. The TF then tangles with DD Napier and sinks it. The bombardment goes off well and I am somewhat taken a back to see P-38s, Hurricanes, F4Fs, Blenheims, Swords destroyed. Wow. Quite the aircraft collection. The TF doesn't get far enough away and gets jumped by 5 Fighters, 3 SBD, and 13 TB. No Torps thankfully but they do plaster Atago with 3 500lb and 2 1,000lb bombs. *#%@! Looks REALLY bad: 77 Sys, 39 Flot, 9 Eng. Order her to get to Christmas Isle since it can easily be done in 2 days at cruise instead of 3 days to Oosthaven. Already have a Nvl HQ at Christmas. Doubt if she will make it. CRAP! Have a second TF of 2 CA and 5 DD set to bombard the Island tomorrow.

Time to get serious here. Soryu is done tomorrow. She will meet-up with Zuiho and head south to set-up a CAP Trap and destroy those TB.

Burma
Katha is attacked and a 1-1 (119-87 drops Forts to ZERO. I am badly disorganized by the attack so the ID needs to rest a few days and then we'll take the base. Two TK Reg move in to cut the road tomorrow so that will force a retreat into the Jungle.

China
Lots of troop movement.

SS Ops
Have 3 attacks that all miss. Doesn't often happen!

Engineering
Etorofu goes to AF-2

Reinforcements
A Large AO is finished in Nagasaki: NICE!

CVs:
Zuiho converts a 12 plane Kate unit to 27 while at Manila.

Order Hiryu to leave Sydney and head for Soerabaja. We'll link CarDiv2 with Zuiho and have an effective Striking Force.

Kaga and Shokaku are about 50% of the way from NZ to Sydney.

That's the news!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/22/2012 6:21:27 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 622
April 20, 1942 - 6/25/2012 11:51:22 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 20, 1942

In another SLOOOOW game we have some major action here.

North Pacific
Calm.

Central Pacific
The Jaliut TF is spotted NE of Canton. Decide to continue moving east and we'll see if US Air Search keeps track of the two TFs.

South Pacific
A BB, CL, and 4 DD refuel at Koumac and then head west to Soerabaja. Fuso will link-up with Nagato and Mutsu to help put the hurt on Cocos.

Am redeploying SS that were near Australia to the Pago Pago and Christmas Isle arena.

Australia
NW Australia
Troops driving on Tennant Creek.

Western Australia
We are clearing the mines out of Perth. Two MSW and 2 PC are doing that. One of those PCs unfortunately acts as a true minesweeper and SINKS!

Southern Australia
Big hex-taking round as troops continue to hammer Aussie forces. Took the following hexes: 79,169 (near Ballarat), 77,163 (East of Adelaide), 85,168 (West of Canberra), 81,169 (NE of Melbourne).

Only negative is my TK Reg at Broken Hill given kicked out by an Aussie Brigade with a strong 13-1 result. Oooops.

Sydney sees a strike come in of 6 Liberators. They are met by 42 Fighters who don't do squat, however, the 3 heavy AA units (with 88MM guns) so manage to shoot down THREE of them! NICE!

Shipping is spotted SW of Tanzania so my two CVs divert West to go get them a little something-something.

Eastern Australia
Bowen is nailed by two Sentai of Bombers. I forgot to order my troops to attack so they will do that tomorrow. A BB will bombard the hex adding its weight to the Sallys.

Rockhampton: After two Sentai of bombers hit the troops here, the Japanese launch a Deliberate Attack that nets a strong 3-1 result. Japanes loss 1,028 troops while the Aussies lose nearly 4,000. Scratch the 1st Aust ID and two Brigades!

DEI
Those 4 bombs hitting Atago prove to be fatal as I lose my first CA of the war. CRAP!

Cocos is still hit by CAs Mikuma and Ashigara, CL Tama, and 4 DD. They fight past 3 very tough DDs, sink an AKL, and PLASTER the AF. The bombardment destroys 8 Blenheim, 2 SBD, 1 Hurricane, and 1 TBD. It hurts enough that no aerial response flies from the base this day.

CVs
Zuiho re-sizes another Kate group from 12 to 27 planes at Manila.

CV Soryu is complete, forms-up with a CS, 2 CA, and 5 DDs heading for Manila. She will link-up with Zuiho and head for Soerabaja where Ryujo should be waiting.

Am finally getting my CVs and CVLs out of the paint-and-body shop!

Reinforcements
Gain the services of a large TK and a modern LSD.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/25/2012 11:52:22 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 623
April 20, 1942 - 6/25/2012 11:53:31 PM   
John 3rd

Here is the Rockhampton Screenshot:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 624
A Note... - 6/26/2012 4:08:51 PM   
John 3rd

Got the next turn from Lew and fired it right back to him but before I do the update, I thought I might Post his note in the email:

"March and April has been brutal. Time to attack. HEHE"

If he WANTS to then life could be interesting and FUN!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/26/2012 4:09:30 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 625
RE: A Note... - 6/26/2012 4:11:28 PM   
John 3rd

Also...

I have been hitting Cocos and I keep running into fragments of Enter[rise's Air Group. Wonder if there is a chance that I actually SANK her. My Ship's Lost log states that CV Saratoga sank in the IO. Wonder if I bagged the Big E? Hmmmm...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 626
April 22, 1942 - 6/27/2012 4:45:57 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
April 22, 1942

Lew keeps popping off about some plan titled 'Alpha.' I think he is trying to do a head fake as things collapse in Australia. While totally focused on Australia, I do continue working to build the perimeter and seek to cause 'distractions' wherever I can.

North Pacific
Get two of the small SNLF Coy units at Paramushiro Jima. Though they only have a combat strength of about 20, they are useful since they only account for about 500 in stacking. Order one to each of the Kuriles SW of PJ. Need some strength there so there aren't any freebies if he comes this way. Got a big reinforcement for the north in about a week. When it appears I shall re-order things up in the region.

Central Pacific
The Jaliut TFs are spotted two day in a row passing Canton. Don't like that. Order them to return. Will seek a differing route trying to skirt those PBYs. Might refuel at Jaliut and then move NE and shoot between the Johnston and Palymra Gap. Have got a whole bunch of small supply, troop, and fuel convoys moving to bases in this region trying to prep for the Line Islands Operation.

South Pacific
Had an Allied STF sweep into Norfolk Island. My pair of little AKL (unloading supplies) dodge them and shall return to continue off-loading. Begin to reinforce this area with aircraft no longer needed in Australia. Will be pulling two large Daitai of Zeros, two of Betty/Nell, and some Air Search.

Australia
NW Australia
I have a TK Reg enter the Tennant Creek hex and it is kicked out by the Aust 1st ID and 1st Brigade. Good to know they are there. I am pounding the 2nd ID NW of TC so that just leaves the 3rd ID unaccounted for. Have decided to pull the two TK Reg back a bit and meet-up with the 65th Brig. Once combined the whole stack will move south.

West Australia
Am about to take Albany and Esperance. Troops advancing on Kalgoorlie.

South Australia
Lots of troops movement. I've got nearly 150 AK--AP in Sydney. Resources are getting low in the Home Islands so I load-up 30+ AK with Aussie Resources and send them to Truk then home and into the supply system.

Kaga and Shokaku sink an AP south of Tanzania. CVs ordered home to Sydney.

Eastern Australia
Am shocked to see 21 B-17 arrive over the skies of Rockhampton. Theya ttack the AF and destroy a total of eight Sally--Zero. Place CAP over the town and see if he comes back tomorrow.

Order a bunch of Australian attacks for tomorrow. Am beginning to get troops into the hinterland and we'll see how long it takes to finish this off.

DEI
Cocos is attacked by 27 Nells who seek to commit suicide against 14 Fighters flying CAP. Lose 8 Nells and do no damage. Grrr... SS Hunting here has a good day though.

Form 3-4 little TF to haul Con Bn and Engineers to the west side of Sumatra. Will be dropping off 7 of these units at Sibolga, Padang, and another spot along the coast. Got to make sure the Forts are built up in case he comes from this direction.

CVs Soryu and Zuiho link-up at Manila and head for Soerabaja. They have a CS, 2 CA, 2 CL, and 11 DD in the TF.

Burma
North of Katha I have two TK Reg cut the road between there and Myitkyina. Order the 4th ID to blast the enemy out of Katha and into the jungle.

China
85,46 sees failed Japanese attack (1-2)
83,49 (S of Ichang) sees failed Chinese Shock Attack (1-2)

SS Ops
I-158 sinks AK Hermion at Cocos
I-157 sinks AKL Buijskes at Cocos

Have formed all four Japanese ML SS to drop off 160 mines at Cocos. Why Lew hasn't mined this is a mystery to me but I'll do this fast.

Engineering
Christmas Isle IO AF-1
Lord Howe Isle AF-3

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/27/2012 4:49:14 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 627
RE: April 22, 1942 - 6/27/2012 6:45:27 PM   
ny59giants

Cocos Island - Form three or more sub "wolfpacks" to patrol three different lines of possible approach. Each "pack" will have a Glen equipped sub, two or three fleet I-boats, and possibly far enough away from PBY search.

They will be between Cocos and 1) western map edge (Cape Town); 2) Diego Garcia; 3) Colombo. Need to find out where his ships are coming from, IMO.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 628
RE: April 22, 1942 - 6/27/2012 7:01:33 PM   
John 3rd

Good thinking Michael. Have already got 6 boats deployed there but...

I have been pulling Ro- and I-Boats from the Australia area since he has no Ports left to speak of. 8-10 are each headed for Soerabaja or Jaliut as the case warrants. The Soerabaja boats are getting quick repair work from the shipyards there.

Notice that Christmas Isle IO went to AF-1 last turn. I've got enough engineers present for it to bump up to 2 pretty fast. Need that so I can Sweep and attack from a much closer range.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 629
RE: April 22, 1942 - 6/27/2012 11:00:24 PM   
pws1225

Hi John - I haven't posted here in a while but have been following your progress. Just want to say thanks for the AAR. Really fun stuff for JFBs to read.

Reagrds, Paul

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Southern Cross Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI