Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 11:39:15 AM   
Q-Ball

Do you guys have a HR against using the Malacca Strait before Singapore falls? Just curious.

My understanding is that the 15in guns in Singapore Fortress could reach the coast of Sumatra, which meant the Japanese could not transit.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 301
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 3:44:56 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It is not the supply as Darwin is easily flanked in 42 and it is tough to get scarce Allied troops there in the early months. Also very tough on the Allies if those troops are wiped out. What I was referring to is the eventual Allied attempt to retake Darwin in 43-44. If Japan has three or four good divisons with support in Darwin then it is almost impossible for the Allied to supply the needed forces to eject them by a strictly overland advance. It almost has to be by sea. Yet if Japan only commits a division or two then the Allies can take the overland route and recapture Darwin. So in this case, I really think it is worth holding and even sacrificing a very substantial Japanese force around Darwin to hold it as long as possible. Two little and the Allies have it too easy, but a strong force might hold it well into 1944 depending on the state of the Japanese navy.

I think what you speak of is a Scenraio #2 problem? Because I am not sure there are the divisions to hold Burma, Attack Oz and NG while keeping China busy in Scenario #1? Just clarifying for the ages

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 302
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 5:33:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Do you guys have a HR against using the Malacca Strait before Singapore falls? Just curious.

My understanding is that the 15in guns in Singapore Fortress could reach the coast of Sumatra, which meant the Japanese could not transit.

I have recently been in PM contact with Alfred on the issue of Singapore's history. He knows quite a bit, certainly more than I do. He does not read this AAR. But based on his comments I believe the devs leaving Malacca off the "narrow strait" list in the game code is the correct decision. The guns installed were for harbor denial. The various defense plans presented by the British government from 1919 on had underlying assumptions about force allocation for Singapore's defense which never came about due to budget cuts. Overall, the base was intended to be defended by a large naval force which was never detailed, supported by naval shore infrastructure which was never built. Once Force Z, a faint shadow of the original planned force, was sunk, the defense consisted of the TBs, weak as they were. Once Force Z was/is gone, the IJN could/can sail past Singapore into the IO with abandon. HRs which deny this are historically incorrect.

If anyone wants details perhaps a post in the main forum to Alfred would induce him to offer one of his succinct renditions of the facts.

The Moose

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 303
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 6:15:15 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I have recently been in PM contact with Alfred on the issue of Singapore's history. He knows quite a bit, certainly more than I do. He does not read this AAR. But based on his comments I believe the devs leaving Malacca off the "narrow strait" list in the game code is the correct decision. The guns installed were for harbor denial. The various defense plans presented by the British government from 1919 on had underlying assumptions about force allocation for Singapore's defense which never came about due to budget cuts. Overall, the base was intended to be defended by a large naval force which was never detailed, supported by naval shore infrastructure which was never built. Once Force Z, a faint shadow of the original planned force, was sunk, the defense consisted of the TBs, weak as they were. Once Force Z was/is gone, the IJN could/can sail past Singapore into the IO with abandon. HRs which deny this are historically incorrect.

If anyone wants details perhaps a post in the main forum to Alfred would induce him to offer one of his succinct renditions of the facts.

I presume this means that the guns which were there IRL, if the had the range to cover the strait, were not installed to bear properly to do so?

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 304
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 6:31:39 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

I presume this means that the guns which were there IRL, if the had the range to cover the strait, were not installed to bear properly to do so?

Reading a bit after I posted, it appears there were a total of five 15in guns installed. They were the same model as found on HMS Hood; a post-WWI design. No HE ammunition was stocked, only armor-piercing. Three guns were on the site of the current airport (east), and two were on the western side of the Singapore Strait (Jahore Battery I believe.) Two had transverse capability of 180 degrees, while the other three had 360. Magazines were in armored bunkers beneath the gun emplacemnts, with a narrow-gauge railway connecting them to further ammo storage. I did not find any info on fire-control. I did not find anything about effectiveness at night, on moonless nights, or in heavy rains. None of the five 15in guns ever engaged a naval target in their life spans. There is some controversy about the fate of all of them, but some of the emplacements were destroyed by British engineers before the fall of the base, at least one so effectively that the magazine area was not discovered and excavated until 1991.

In addition to the heavy guns there were multiple 6in gun emplacements around the island, mostly focused on amphibious invasion denial.

Without knowing the FC capability of the five 15in guns I can't even begin to say how effective they would have been on a passing IJN force which hugged the Malaysian coast, or which attempted to run past at flank on a moonless night. Since it was never tried we'll never know. But I believe that leaving Malacca off the narrow strait list was not an accident, and a HR preventing such a move would . . . well, I'm not going into the rocks and shoals of HRs again. I am, after all, a mere AI-playing sub-human.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/29/2012 6:51:59 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 305
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 6:46:20 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

We have no such houserule. But judging from comments from Canoe, he would frown upon any such movement. I have not sailed anything past there yet.

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 306
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 6:49:02 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

quote:

We have no such houserule. But judging from comments from Canoe, he would frown upon any such movement. I have not sailed anything past there yet.

Don't do that anyway. I've found that, even if you can theorically pass, the AI tends to make your ships approach singapore shore guns even if you told them not to using waypoints....it's very risky imho

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 307
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 6:50:25 PM   
Hortlund

Maskirovka

I am now going to try to convince Canoerebel that I am about to invade Canada/Coal Harbor.

Most of my divisions are now ordered to plan for an invasion of Prince Rupert. Half of the KB is going to sail down the west coast looking for coastal shipping, perhaps I will launch an airstrike at some inland target.

I will also start moving most of my heavy surface combat vessels towards Japan. A huge convoy will gather in the port hex south of Manila to pick up most of the units there. I will then use [the secret method] to hide where they are going, while at the same time they will be given movement orders that takes them to the west coast.

Hopefully, the allied sigint will pick up some of these orders. Since they are sigint, Canoe will think they are "real". Especially if enough units are given the same orders.

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 308
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 8:10:48 PM   
Hortlund

Or perhaps a better Maskirovka is to fake a drive on Sydney/Melbourne.

You would have to be pretty over the top to send the entire Jap army to Canada in March 42...

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 309
OPERATION NATALIE is on! - 6/29/2012 8:13:08 PM   
Hortlund

This is just a fake post, in case Canoe spots the thread subject. I want him to think there is something huge in the making, but I dont want to talk about it or drop hints in emails. Thats just too obvious. Sigint, recon reports and other means are much better to create the impression something big is going on.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 310
RE: OPERATION NATALIE is on! - 6/29/2012 8:21:40 PM   
Hortlund

Think he will take the bait?

One of the best ways to have a Maskirovka succeed is to play into what the enemy is expecting.

For example, it would be very easy for me right now to trick Canoe into thinking an invasion of Singapore is imminent, simply because he expects me to invade there. So he will have an uncouncious confirmation bias, where he will interpret information to mean what he expects it to mean.

Now, the question is, where does he expect me to go with my army? Where would any Japanese player go at this point in the game? India or Australia of cource. So he will be looking for signs that the Japanese army is heading to India or Australia. Then the trick is to make him think Im going to one, while Im actually moving towards the other...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Panzerjaeger Hortlund -- 6/29/2012 8:22:00 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 311
RE: OPERATION NATALIE is on! - 6/29/2012 9:05:32 PM   
GreyJoy

How to play a mind-game, n'est pas?

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 312
RE: OPERATION NATALIE is on! - 6/29/2012 9:45:24 PM   
witpqs

Well, after Moose's tests CR is well aware of where the line is for North America emergency reinforcements. The Seattle area has some very important aircraft factories. It is quite legitimate for him to worry about those being strat-bombed. If he were convinced you were staying behind the line while fixing to smoke some factories...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 313
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 10:54:14 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It is not the supply as Darwin is easily flanked in 42 and it is tough to get scarce Allied troops there in the early months. Also very tough on the Allies if those troops are wiped out. What I was referring to is the eventual Allied attempt to retake Darwin in 43-44. If Japan has three or four good divisons with support in Darwin then it is almost impossible for the Allied to supply the needed forces to eject them by a strictly overland advance. It almost has to be by sea. Yet if Japan only commits a division or two then the Allies can take the overland route and recapture Darwin. So in this case, I really think it is worth holding and even sacrificing a very substantial Japanese force around Darwin to hold it as long as possible. Two little and the Allies have it too easy, but a strong force might hold it well into 1944 depending on the state of the Japanese navy.

Why do the Allies need to drive the Japanese out of there in 1944? By the time '44 rolls around, it's probably just as easy, if not easier, to land on Timor or some of those islands in the Banda Sea, and just isolate the Japanese in Darwin.

IMO, Japanese can hold it for awhile, but at a certain point you need to get out of there; it's a trap, long-term

You are right about this as sooner or later the Allied navy will be strong enough to bypass Darwin. My experience is with scen 2 so everything happens about six months later. But my point is that it can be held as long as you need if the garrison is big enough to prevent an overland attack.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 314
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 11:00:11 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

Well, other factors too. The guns did not have radar direction so, a passage at night, or in poor weather with low visability would probably been possible. Just speculating. Without modern directors and radar a big gun was only as good as far as you could see.

Oops, just saw you later post.....Never mind...

< Message edited by crsutton -- 6/29/2012 11:03:42 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 315
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 11:16:49 PM   
desicat

Having actually sailed through the straits on a Carrier they are not very wide and there is little to no room for maneuver in the navigable channels.

The fact that the British guns were not targeting the strait was not a known fact at the time and not even the craziest Admiral would chance running a Battle Group through that gauntlet with the airfields in and around Singapore in enemy hands and operational.

The harbor defense guns could possibly have been discarded but any infantry artillery would have been able to be positioned to pound passing ships. Old fashioned fire ships or channel blockers COULD have been employed to create serious havoc.

Just because something was possible with the perfect knowledge of hindsight doesn't make it something that could be casually done without considering the risk and the unknowns in the present (game time).

< Message edited by desicat -- 6/29/2012 11:20:27 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 316
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/29/2012 11:28:21 PM   
desicat

Coast of Burma - Strategically significant and a possible jumping off point for further activities depending on Allied deployment. Since this is an adhoc offensive I would recommend against doing something that is out of line with your overall Strategic vision; i.e. establishing a defensive perimeter while taking out China. The below excerpt is from your first post laying out your Grand Strategic Vision:

"Actually I'm looking at China. Its the obvious target, it has plenty of resources and industry, although I would have to wade through Chinese army units to get there. But the benefits are obvious. I get to fight close to home, I dont need to own very much of the oceans to get there and home, the Chinese army is crap, so is their airforce.

Ive been sitting looking at the map for a couple of hours now, and it seems like the best strategy.

So, my very rough strategic plan would be:

1) Take the oilfields in the NEI.
2) Secure the SLOCs between NEI and Japan.
3) Ensure a level of industrial output that will allow us to produce enough combat units to carry the war beyond 1945

On the operational level these three broad strategic objectives would of cource be broken down into several sub-objectives. I'll get back to that later. These three strategic objectives can also be described as the three phases of this war. Expansion, consolidation and defence. I will want to achieve objectives 1&2 as soon as possible, as that will give me better chances to achieve 3."

Burma cuts the supply line to China long term and still brings your desired attrition battle with the RAF into play. Allows you to fall back and take isolated Allied positions if the way West is blocked.

May cause CR to commit naval assets to the theater for a fleet battle, pick off troops at Port Blair at a minimum and Ceylon if he is out of position. This will also force him to deploy assets to India no matter what your next step is. Delays the overall formation any Allied counter attack while he scuttles around setting defensive postures.

< Message edited by desicat -- 6/29/2012 11:38:02 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 317
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 8:24:27 AM   
Hortlund

That is a very good point. It is too easy to get caught up in a percieved opportunity and risk too much for little strategic gain.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 318
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 8:36:27 AM   
Hortlund

This is what Im thinking right now. I can throw 6-7 full-strength divisions at this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 319
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 8:55:45 AM   
Historiker

How far do you want to advance?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 320
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 10:21:04 AM   
Hortlund

The HI around Calcutta.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 321
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 10:58:34 AM   
Historiker

Calcutta-Darjeeling?
What do you think, how long can you keep the HI intact?

I ask because I thought about such an operation myself. But my conclusion was, that unless I manage to destroy significant forces - which mostly requires encirclement - it isn't worth the effort.
At least that was my descision...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 322
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 12:24:05 PM   
Hortlund

Just owning (and producing) the HI makes it worth the effort, so Im not sure why you came to that conclusion?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 323
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 12:35:42 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Just owning (and producing) the HI makes it worth the effort...

+1

And taking Calcutta is likely to net you some decent fuel as well.

Pax

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 324
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 12:39:00 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

Just owning (and producing) the HI makes it worth the effort, so Im not sure why you came to that conclusion?

That little bit of HI really doesn't matter anything going into 1945 so if you can do it without much risk, go for it.. But don't do it for the HI and fuel..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 325
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 12:41:31 PM   
Historiker

How long will this area produce HI, when you play a competent player and don't have HRs restrictions? I thought about it in my may/42 game, so it would've happened in a time when the british reinforcements start to flow...

But that may be a special case. I will still watch how it'll turn out in your game :)

< Message edited by Historiker -- 6/30/2012 1:47:33 PM >

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 326
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 1:24:50 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder
That little bit of HI really doesn't matter anything going into 1945 so if you can do it without much risk, go for it.. But don't do it for the HI and fuel..

Using that standard not much really matters at all going into 1945 though... A couple of hundred HI more producing wihtout using fuel/resources destined for the HI is no small matter in my opinion. The longer the better of cource.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 327
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 1:28:37 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

How long will this area produce HI, when you play a competent player and don't have HRs restrictions? I thought about it in mg may/42 game, so it would've happened in a time when the british reinforcements start to flow...

But that may be a special case. I will still watch how it'll turn out in your game :)

Well into 43 I think. At least six months of production at the least. A "normal" allied player will get really nervous if an invasion of India happens, and the first focus will probably be to protect Karachi, Bombay, etc. I dont think many will think "oh, this is just a local attack around Calcutta, I will rail all my units there".

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 328
Operation Natalie - 6/30/2012 1:34:49 PM   
desicat

At this point in the game you have strong forces in and around Alaska, weak probing forces in Australia, and you are now contemplating striking India. The KB will be required for the Indian invasion but it will also need to spend some time replenishing and upgrading after a period of heavy operations.

Singapore is still in enemy hands and a lot of interior clean-up is still required. You are just getting around to setting the table in China. Are you over extending?

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 329
RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Ca... - 6/30/2012 1:48:46 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

How long will this area produce HI, when you play a competent player and don't have HRs restrictions? I thought about it in mg may/42 game, so it would've happened in a time when the british reinforcements start to flow...

Well into 43 I think. At least six months of production at the least. A "normal" allied player will get really nervous if an invasion of India happens, and the first focus will probably be to protect Karachi, Bombay, etc. I dont think many will think "oh, this is just a local attack around Calcutta, I will rail all my units there".

good point!

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI