Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fighting allied tanks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Fighting allied tanks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 4:22:45 AM   
Marcus_Antonius

Any thoughts on dealing with allied tanks in Thailand/Burma with Japanese ground forces?

They seem to own me, even in Jungle hexes.
Post #: 1
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 5:54:36 AM   
PaxMondo

yep.  YOu get a few AT units.  You need to use them carefully.  You have to support your ground forces with air.

Pax

(in reply to Marcus_Antonius)
Post #: 2
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 6:48:51 AM   
Shark7

And try to defend in heavy jungle hexes, those give you a defensive bonus. You need every advantage you can get as the game drags on.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 8:04:09 AM   
JeffroK

And accept that Allied tanks worked out effective tactics in working in the jungle.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 3:30:23 PM   
crsutton

I will use sole Allied tank units in attacks at very low odds as they almost never take casualties and the Japanese units will. This works in China with Japanese tank units as well. Combine them with an infantry unit and the infantry unit will take horrible losses so it is better to go it solo with your tanks. It is kind of whack though as unsupported tanks units should be more vulnerable but that is just the way it works.

I did some test with AT gun units vs pure tank units and found that the AT guns were not very effective-even Allied At guns vs Japanese tanks. AT guns alone will die right away vs a tank unit but combined with infantry will have some success and will allow the infantry to have a chance-especially if in good terrain. So the rule is make sure you have infantry support for your AT gun units.

Late war Allied tank units rule, but that is the way it should be.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 3:35:33 PM   
Chickenboy

crsutton,

Your well-drawn diagram of how to effectively lead an Allied armored charge into a prepared IJ position would be useful reference here.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 4:02:07 PM   
Marcus_Antonius

Yes, never seen a lot of help from AT guns. And air support is not sustainable when the Allied air in Burma is pounding your bases to dust one at a time.

We are just getting close to 1943 and I have completely lost the initiative as Japanese and its not like I have lost a lot of stuff along the way yet. I was thinking that fighting in the jungle would counter the allied tanks more.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/10/2012 7:06:16 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I will use sole Allied tank units in attacks at very low odds as they almost never take casualties and the Japanese units will. This works in China with Japanese tank units as well. Combine them with an infantry unit and the infantry unit will take horrible losses so it is better to go it solo with your tanks. It is kind of whack though as unsupported tanks units should be more vulnerable but that is just the way it works.

I did some test with AT gun units vs pure tank units and found that the AT guns were not very effective-even Allied At guns vs Japanese tanks. AT guns alone will die right away vs a tank unit but combined with infantry will have some success and will allow the infantry to have a chance-especially if in good terrain. So the rule is make sure you have infantry support for your AT gun units.

Late war Allied tank units rule, but that is the way it should be.

Put your infantry units on reserve and they can take advantage of anything the tanks accomplish without taking horrible losses.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: Fighting allied tanks - 7/11/2012 12:09:25 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

crsutton,

Your well-drawn diagram of how to effectively lead an Allied armored charge into a prepared IJ position would be useful reference here.

Wish I had saved that drawing. One picture is worth a thousand words..

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Fighting allied tanks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI