Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Let's start!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Let's start! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 3:50:49 PM   
Canoerebel

I was out all weekend, so I'm just learning that GJ and Q-Ball are facing off.  That's a great matchup. Q-Ball is very, very tough. 

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 121
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 4:22:45 PM   
SuluSea

Good Luck GreyJoy,

I think I gave NYG a document I put together called China Garrisons for the Japanese side. If he didn't give it to you as part of the package let me know . I feel it's useful in setting up initial garrisons to free up as much AV as possible in the theatre for assault (and defense). Don't even ask how much time I spent creating it but all who have used it have given me good feedback on it.

I also have a color coded Manchuoko chart on what infantry should be high priority for PP's but when I scan it the colors look skewed.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 7/9/2012 4:29:04 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 122
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 4:29:04 PM   
Historiker

The most simple way to handle the garrisons is what I did:
Send all garrison units you can free up to a central base at the railroad. This way, you create a pool of small units and send them out starting here. It takes a little longer to have everything where it should be, but it involves an economic work/effect ratio.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 123
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 5:09:01 PM   
SuluSea

Here's a chart I was speaking of earlier.

I made it on starting Manchuoko Infantry that is eligible to be purchased, as you can see some information is provided. In my personal one on the notes I wrote what location to plan and color coded the units to be purchased based on experience.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 7/9/2012 5:10:14 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 124
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 6:40:40 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Good Luck GreyJoy,

I think I gave NYG a document I put together called China Garrisons for the Japanese side. If he didn't give it to you as part of the package let me know . I feel it's useful in setting up initial garrisons to free up as much AV as possible in the theatre for assault (and defense). Don't even ask how much time I spent creating it but all who have used it have given me good feedback on it.

I also have a color coded Manchuoko chart on what infantry should be high priority for PP's but when I scan it the colors look skewed.

That would be very very usefull! If you could send it to me by PM i would be gratefull!

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 125
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 6:47:25 PM   
GreyJoy

Oh God...i just realized i did the first turn with Realistic R&D ON....what does that mean again?

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 126
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 6:51:13 PM   
Walloc

2.4.8 REALISTIC R&D
This switch controls whether the Japanese player can convert the production of factories which
are producing currently available aircraft into ones researching future aircraft, and vice versa.
If the switch is set to the “on” position, and the Japanese player wishes to change the aircraft
type being produced by a factory, the choice of aircraft to convert to will be restricted in
the following manner: When switching from an aircraft that is currently available and in
production, only other aircraft that are also in production can be selected. Similarly, when that
the Japanese player wishes to change the aircraft type of a factory that is performing research
(see section 13.5), only other aircraft that are also being researched (that is – not yet available
for production) can be selected. This represents the differences between mass production
factories and research and development centers. In reality these are two different things, and
freely swapping between them is not realistic.
If the switch is set to the “off” position, no such restrictions apply. This will allow the Japanese
player a greater ability to switch production of their factories to any aircraft type, regardless of
whether those factories are representing aircraft production or R&D facilities.
The default position for this switch is “on”, as this is a more realistic representation of the
Japanese aircraft industry.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 127
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 6:59:34 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

2.4.8 REALISTIC R&D
This switch controls whether the Japanese player can convert the production of factories which
are producing currently available aircraft into ones researching future aircraft, and vice versa.
If the switch is set to the “on” position, and the Japanese player wishes to change the aircraft
type being produced by a factory, the choice of aircraft to convert to will be restricted in
the following manner: When switching from an aircraft that is currently available and in
production, only other aircraft that are also in production can be selected. Similarly, when that
the Japanese player wishes to change the aircraft type of a factory that is performing research
(see section 13.5), only other aircraft that are also being researched (that is – not yet available
for production) can be selected. This represents the differences between mass production
factories and research and development centers. In reality these are two different things, and
If the switch is set to the “off” position, no such restrictions apply. This will allow the Japanese
player a greater ability to switch production of their factories to any aircraft type, regardless of
The default position for this switch is “on”, as this is a more realistic representation of the

Mmmm.... thanks you Walloc.... that isn't that bad to say the truth... i think i'll eat it ....more realistic, like it!

However me and Q-Ball keep on having problem with the first turn...he cannot load it (while i can)....this first turn is really taking me years

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 7/9/2012 7:11:33 PM >

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 128
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 7:02:21 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

It seems that all Allied players need to at least attempt a "Fortress Palembang". Is Palembang on the Empires short list?

Well, here in DBB Palembang doesn't generate supplies.... so i don't think a Festung Pelembang could be doable here.... However, i'm planning to land at Palembang before Dec 25 41...

I brought some modifications to the NY59 Giants's suggestions and will have the Ryuho CVL joining the Kaga directly on turn 1 (but with 36 Claudes instead of 20 Zeros)....

Hopefully we can get the game running tonight...

Finger crossed!

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 129
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 7:12:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

2.4.8 REALISTIC R&D

Mmmm.... thanks you Walloc.... that that bad to say the truth... i think i'll eat it

However me and Q-Ball keep on having problem with the first turn...he cannot load it (while i can)....this first turn is really taking me years

This is really the best setting actually. Especially since you don't want to push things past 6 months ahead. The other setting allows crazy R n D with the ability to really get planes over a year ahead. So you chose correctly! Just be careful how many factories you convert to production after their R n D is finished because you can't change them back.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 130
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 7:15:05 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This is really the best setting actually. Especially since you don't want to push things past 6 months ahead. The other setting allows crazy R n D with the ability to really get planes over a year ahead. So you chose correctly! Just be careful how many factories you convert to production after their R n D is finished because you can't change them back.

Yes, i've seen the problem you bumbed in.... i still have to understand it but be sure i'll keep my eyes wide shut to prevent any unfortunate events like that one...and i'll ask the forum, as always

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 131
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 8:11:47 PM   
cantona2

Any screenies or reports yet GJ or are you still waiting for Q-Ball?

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 132
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 8:20:56 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Any screenies or reports yet GJ or are you still waiting for Q-Ball?

Still waiting...we have loading problems...(see tech support)

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 133
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 9:31:13 PM   
DOCUP

Glad to see your back in the drivers seat.  I will definetly follow this AAR.  I don't follow many Japanese AARs but I am sure this will be fun and entertaining.  Where did I put my weed wacker at?

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 134
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 10:39:25 PM   
jeffk3510

Outstanding.. now no one will read my AAR. Good luck mate.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 135
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 10:44:20 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Outstanding.. now no one will read my AAR. Good luck mate.

it's at the bottom of page two...you should update it

Nice to see u around Jeff! alwasy a pleasure

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 136
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 10:52:31 PM   
GreyJoy

Q-Ball doesn't manage to read my files... we don't understand what's going on....

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 137
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 10:53:39 PM   
jeffk3510

We're actually managing a turn every other day or so.. haven't posted it much lately, as no one follows it. I was afraid it would really slow down with our second child last month, but it has really picked up.

I wish my wife enjoyed having me around as much as you do.

You are going to have your hands full with a good opponent. Looking forward to what you have instore.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 138
RE: Let's start! - 7/9/2012 11:01:35 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

We're actually managing a turn every other day or so.. haven't posted it much lately, as no one follows it. I was afraid it would really slow down with our second child last month, but it has really picked up.

I wish my wife enjoyed having me around as much as you do.

You are going to have your hands full with a good opponent. Looking forward to what you have instore.

Congrats for your second child my friend!!!

I know he's gonna kick my arse around the map....but i'm pretty used to be kicked and smashed down so i hope it's going to be a nice new experience....being on the recieving side of the blade...well...you know....not always...but sometimes,...maybe...softly... ok, ok....i stop here...need a turn

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 139
The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 4:21:34 PM   
GreyJoy

So, finally, the war is on! (Thanks to Damian who managed to explain Q-Ball how to set up the new patch!)

Ok Guys...gotta say that i'm thrilled...after nearly 6 months without a turn....finally i have just watched a combat replay!...and from the other side of the hill!!!! Thrilling!!!

In the first day of war everything went according to the general plan.... (so it seems at least)....except for two things.... CA Mikuma (Mogami Class) got torpedoed by a damned ducth sub near Kuantan and now, severly damaged, will try to limp back towards Saigon...and i made a couple of mistakes with the Kaga disposition....she ended 1 hex away from Ryujo CVL....so they won't be merged in this turn but in the next one....ok, minor things... i know.

The PH Attack did go fairly well. 27 Kates didn't take part in the morning attack and arrived during the PM phase...but they did their job nonetheless. 1 BB is confirmed sunk, while we probably damaged severly at least 3 more BBs. 57 planes are torched on the ground (between Clark and PH) which is not stellar but it's ok for me.
9 pilots lost to flak in the different theatres...i know this is gonna be a problem during the whole war (DBB flak hurts, you know)...so i better eat it and start to live with the pilot losses...

We landed en mass at Kota Baru and Singora, while part of the 25th Army (Imp Guards Div and pieces of the 55th) are moving RR from Bankok. Khota Baru, which was heavily bombed, should fall tomorrow, while the tanks are already moving from Singora to Alor Star.

But the bulk of my invasion forces are still aboard ships, covered by CV Kaga and CVL Ryuho, south of Saigon. They will be now ordered to move towards Mersing (they should arrive in 3 days i think), while the Kongos will join the party leaving their covering role at Kotha Baru.

No sign of the Z force...but that was foreseen.

At Luzon we landed at San Fernando with a reinforced division (the 65th Bde is the first japanese unit to have landed), while SNLF units took Vigan, Aparri and Laoag (no Bataan Is. nor Legaspi).
We bombed Clark after a fierce fight with Manila CAP.... the results look promising!

CA Huston and CL Boise are yet to be spotted...i'm pretty sure they'll come out and play soon.

Nothing much more happened.

The good news is that it seems that i didn't do any major mistakes...which is already an accomplisment!

Miri has been invaded too.

Tomorrow we should conquer so Kohta Baru, Miri, San Fernando, Aparri, while we'll invade Adak and Amickita Is (Aleutinas).

Invasion fleets are already enroute for Sinkgaweng (NW Borneo), Mersing (Malaya), Palembang (Sumatra), Rabaul, Tarawa and Makin (SOPAC) and Wake (CENTPAC).

KB will sail westwards and will support the invasion of Wake. Then we'll move south, to support the conquest of the Gilberts and Rabaul.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 07, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Kota Bharu at 53,74

Japanese Ships
CA Mikuma, Torpedo hits 1 (37 major flt damage, 13 sys)
DD Hagikaze
DD Arashi

Allied Ships
SS KXI, hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 117 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 43 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 65
B5N2 Kate x 90
D3A1 Val x 101

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 9 damaged
D3A1 Val: 16 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
O-47A: 9 damaged
O-47A: 2 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 9 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 18 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 21 damaged
C-33: 2 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 26 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 2 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 51 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 3 destroyed on ground
B-18A Bolo: 28 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 2 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 16 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 2 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 7 damaged
R3D-2: 1 damaged
SOC-1 Seagull: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 3, on fire
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

BB Nevada, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Detroit, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CL Helena, Torpedo hits 1
AM Rail, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Dolphin, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
SS Narwhal, Bomb hits 1
CL Phoenix, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AM Vireo, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 5
Airbase hits 25
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 31
Port hits 11
Port fuel hits 1

Magazine explodes on CL Phoenix

Afternoon Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Raid detected at 115 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 49 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 65
B5N2 Kate x 27

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 14 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Raleigh, Torpedo hits 1
BB Pennsylvania, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

BB West Virginia, Torpedo hits 1

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 54
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 54
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 27

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 72 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 17 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 45 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 2 destroyed on ground
P-35A: 32 damaged
P-35A: 2 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 37
Airbase supply hits 10
Runway hits 130

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 7/11/2012 4:27:05 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 140
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 4:42:18 PM   
obvert

Banzai!

Glad you got this started! Can't wait to see it proceed.

As you have a limited number of good fighters until your factories get rolling, make sure your replacements are set for only the groups you want to get new fighters. I also use one one of the big Nate groups near Malaya and turn it into a training squad, using the 40 pilots from it to fill out the rest of the IJAAF fighter groups.

It'll be strange for you to hear all of the Banzai! yells tomorrow and remember that they are YOUR troops taking bases.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 141
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 5:17:00 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Banzai!

Glad you got this started! Can't wait to see it proceed.

As you have a limited number of good fighters until your factories get rolling, make sure your replacements are set for only the groups you want to get new fighters. I also use one one of the big Nate groups near Malaya and turn it into a training squad, using the 40 pilots from it to fill out the rest of the IJAAF fighter groups.

It'll be strange for you to hear all of the Banzai! yells tomorrow and remember that they are YOUR troops taking bases.

ehheheeheh . But i do love playing with the evil Empire....i think i've always had a japanese heart deep inside my chest...and now it is pumping fast!

Great idea with those Nates...also because with our HR, there won't be much space in my front line bases for all those nates (50 planes max for AF lvl)... so i better move them back anyway!

Now i'll follow the Micheal's strategy.... moving down to Singora the Kaga's Vals, and replace them with 20 zeros coming from Saigon...Kaga will act as a CAP platform during the advance towards Mersing.... today the RAF lost some 20 planes in pieacemail attacks against my Kongos at Kohta Baru but i'm sure that, as soon as i get closer to Mersing, the AVG will show up along with the pesky torpedo bi-planes...we'll have to be very carefull and very fast!
I'll try a couple of tricks that are frulling(sp!?) in my mind....

These first turns will be slow however...Bradd just told me he's gonna be out of town till Sunday....plenty of time to study the economy and the following phases...

Thanks Obvert!!!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 142
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 5:28:57 PM   
crsutton

You sunk the Phoenix-much more valuable than a old American BB.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 143
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 5:33:26 PM   
GreyJoy

Yup, true, but those battlewagons will be usefull for the allies when the time of re-conquest arrives.... untill 1943/44 they are useless...however it feels good to smash them.

Now let's hope to catch the Boise.... i sniff here near Legaspi....i think Q-Ball tried to intercept what could have been a usual Legaspi invasion convoy coming from the south.... Now for here i'm setting up a chain of DDs in order to try to get here...let's see if we are lucky.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 144
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 6:26:24 PM   
ny59giants

I sent Boise to patrol between Tokyo and Truk vs Divepac. She sank the whole convoy by her self when it came by.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 145
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 7:12:40 PM   
GreyJoy

Scary!
However i have 3 CAs+5 DDs patrolling those routes escorting my convoys. The Kb is moving towards Wake and 44 BBs + 1 CVE and 1 CVL are moving from Japan towards Bab...so if Boise choses that route she's gonna be encircled by mighty forces!

Now i have to keep on advancing, being very carefull with possible mistakes...

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 146
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 7:21:15 PM   
Canoerebel

44 BBs, eh?  I knew Japan had some wildly improbable capabilities in Scenario Two, but I hadn't dreamed of something of this magnitude. Are you sure this isn't one of John III's mods?  You know, "Resilient Admiral:  The 17th Circle Nuanced IJN Fleet Upgrades?

P.S.  To my fellow Forumites.  Please help me contain GJ's ego by refraining from posting in this AAR.  This will also help me keep ahead of him.  Thank you.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 147
RE: Let's start! - 7/11/2012 7:44:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

No BB's sunk at PH? If I were you I would jump up and exclaim , "I can't believe these ******* die rolls! You are SO lucky!"...and then scatter the board and the 7,600 counters all over the basement.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 148
RE: Let's start! - 7/11/2012 7:54:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

No BB's sunk at PH? If I were you I would jump up and exclaim , "I can't believe these ******* die rolls! You are SO lucky!"...and then scatter the board and the 7,600 counters all over the basement.

Dood....

Arizona sunk for sure, probably 1-2 others too. It's in the combat report above (see post 140).

[sotto voce] Pfft...Physicians.... [/sotto voce]

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 149
RE: The time for compromise has now passed - 7/11/2012 7:54:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
P.S.  To my fellow Forumites.  Please help me contain GJ's ego by refraining from posting in this AAR.  This will also help me keep ahead of him.  Thank you.

You got it, partner.

ETA: D'oh!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Let's start! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI