Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack? - 7/19/2012 6:30:21 PM   
pharmy

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3038280&mpage=2&key=

This is from an old thread, but ever since I tried the babes (and even stock when I think about pbem), where these craft multiply I will rarely have AKs/APs/DD/CAs chosen if there is a group of harbor launches or mtbs a bit closer (AI rarely uses them except in Palembang). It can be solved by using Zeroes without a drop tank at a 100 feet, but it basically took a Royal Sovereign class for my LBA to finally not attack (with expensive torpedoes) hdml,mtbs,small amc and etc....

How does the game engine choose a target for Navattack - I would guess it uses a weighted system for a set of different factors (probably with potential VP being first), but does anyone know what are the factors and especially what are their importance in choice of target. Too me it seems range is the number one choice.
Post #: 1
RE: Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack? - 7/21/2012 5:45:01 PM   
artuitus_slith

Range is a deciding factor when determining whether/where a raid goes. Also in the original WITP various ship classes were assigned a 'value' and thus helped in determining which ships were attacked. While I wasnt able to confirm this in the AE manual, from what i remember from reading the Witp manual the point values were heavily weighted to CV of any type, followed by BB, BC, CA, CL, AP, and then all the rest. Don't qoute me but i believe a CA was worth 4x more than a frieghter/aux/dd ect...So if there are multiple ML and only a single CA i believe the game system would assign more 'Value' to a ML TF vs a single CA.

Also to be taken into consideration is the Detection Levels (DL) of the two TF. The closer TF will likely have a higher DL than the farther tf (in this case the ML are closer than the CA). In that case the game most likely makes a decision based on the chance to actually find/attack the target. I'm only making an assumption here, but it makes sense in a way. Each raid uses supply ect and so if you launch a raid you want it to hit something. Following this line of logic it also makes sense to hit the closest target since the closer a target is the better your chances of finding it/hitting it are. When combined with a higher DL it seems logical that the computer would decide that attacking the closer target ie the ML would be more likely to succeed, while the diffrence in value of the targets wasn't high enough to make a longer range/riskier strike worthwhile.

Of course I'm new to the game myself so take everything I say as conjecture.

Regards,
Gmoney

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 2
RE: Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack? - 7/22/2012 4:37:44 PM   
Shark7

IIRC one of the major gripes of the original WiTP was the ability to use PTs as bomb/mine absorbers by the Allied player to avoid losses to more important ships (IE: Every ship can be a minesweeper once). It was a very gamey tactic, and I thought they had done stuff to rectify it in AE.

Honestly, I believe that it simply boils down to DL...you may have a greater DL on the ML task force as opposed to the CA. Remember, they main search equipment for the early part of war was the Eyeball Mk I. Even with radar, radar was not as reliable then as it is now, things could easily be lost in ground return clutter. I think they've done a decent job of fixing the naval attack algorithm, but you are still going to have anomalies and unexpected results...just part of the FoW.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to artuitus_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack? - 7/24/2012 6:19:59 AM   
Alfred

Read s.7.2.1.7.1 of the manual for the criteria the code has in choosing an automatic target selection.

Note the relevant factors:

1. The DL
2. Preference to strike within 5 hexes
3. Concentrating multiple strikes from different bases onto the same target (ties in with 2 above)
4. Ship ranking which in descending order is:

• carriers
  • battleships
  • cruisers
  • transports
  • the rest

Alfred

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Wat are the factors in choosing TF for NavAtaack? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI