Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

innocent bystanders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> innocent bystanders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
innocent bystanders - 1/23/2001 7:06:00 AM   
panzerfist

i had some infantry in the same hex as an enemy tank that rolled up on them. during that round, a mg opened fire on the tank to offer a little suppression. during these attacks, i could have sworn that some of my own men were getting hit. can this happen? if so, that's a great bit of added realism. p/f/

Post #: 1
- 1/23/2001 7:18:00 AM   
USMCGrunt

Panzerfist, I know this is possible with artillery weapons. I mistakenly op-fired on a US rifle squad attacking my mortar position with a German 128mm PAK. I got the rifle squad and my own mortar team too. (Ouch) This would also be the case of artillery direct firing on armor due to the fact they were using HE rounds instead of AP. But, I'm not sure if the same effect is had with an MG in the situation you described. Guess we'll have to let the Game Gurus definatively answer this one. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 2
- 1/23/2001 7:39:00 AM   
kao16

If you have troops in a hex occupied by the target - they take suppression (this means that your troops may surrender to the target because you were shooting at them ). From this I would assume that they can also take causalties (from area effect weapons - direct shots at tanks shouldn't worry your troops)

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 3
- 1/23/2001 7:53:00 AM   
orc4hire

Well, I tell ya', Panzerfist, next to last battle of a long German campaign, a platoon of infantry I'd nursed through about 4 years of fighting without losing a squad got caught up in the middle of a Russian tank company. They tore up the Russian tanks pretty bad, but were still being overrun... there was a JSII sitting in a hex with one of my rifle squads, and on the AI's turn he shoots at the squad. No casualties. One of the halftracks I'd rushed over there in a desperate attempt to take some pressure off my infantry opfired at the tank. Caused a friendly fire casualty, which caused my elite squad to surrender. Was I bitter? Well, let's just say that halftrack didn't make it through the battle....

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 4
- 1/23/2001 8:00:00 AM   
Kernel Klink

Dont flamethrower a hex with friendly troops in it.They usually become part of the clambake.Found this the hard way.

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 5
- 1/23/2001 11:28:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

Once I advanced a reasonably full strength squad into a hex with a routed enemy crew. I fired on the crew from an adjacent hex and my rifle squad surrendered (presumably to the crew.) I wiped out the crew next turn but my squad was gone. I know, that's how the code works, but I can't help but think they executed the poor bastards. ------------------ Target, Cease Fire !

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 6
- 1/23/2001 12:15:00 PM   
panzerfist

im sorry orc...but thats just funny!

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 7
- 1/23/2001 9:41:00 PM   
RockinHarry

Yeah, but sometimes this can be used to your own advantage in "desperate" situations. Calling down fire on your own (dug in) troopers if masses of the enemy are right nearby can be a "life saver". Especially if I can rally first (with Arty delay of min 0.3) I am ready to loose a few of my brave men for the gains. I think this "tactic" was used pretty much often historically. RockinHarry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 8
- 1/24/2001 2:36:00 AM   
panda124c

Suppression, suppression you say let me tell you a little story. I was playing the Americans, we had a defend against the Germans, lots of Germans, two companies of MK IVh's and about three companines of Infantry. Non-core engineers were dug-in in front of the victory hexes, the Mk IV's over ran the position. One engineer (bless his soul) held his position even with two MkIV's in the same hex surrounded by four or five more MkIV's. Tank fires misses prangs a MkIV range 1, next tank fires misses range 1, another tank fires range 1 prangs a MkIV range 0, Stum IIIg fires misses, this continues for three or more shots, Engineer hanging on no hits, then a Stum IIIg fires DESTROYS a MkIV, another fires prangs MKIV, then another fires hits the engineer he surrenders. Talk about sweating out a turn. I kept rooting for the engineer hoping he would last out the turn and the Germans would kill the other MKIV in the hex with him.

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 9
- 1/24/2001 7:04:00 AM   
troopie

Yes, if your men are in the same hex with the enemy, and you shoot at them, you can hit your own men. And I've won battles because the enemy pounded his own advancing armour so bad it routed, or his aviation screwed up and hit his own side. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> innocent bystanders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI