Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help getting started, please...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Need help getting started, please... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help getting started, please... - 1/23/2001 11:00:00 AM   
Warmskin

I played thru the tutorial and I've read the manual, but there seems to be plenty that I still don't understand just yet. Can someone suggest a scenario that isn't too hard to get started with (besides the tutorial)? Also, would the docs to SP3 help me understand better what's going on? And is there a way to find those w/o buying the game(SP3)? If I can find it cheap, maybe I'll pick it up, anyway. Thanks a lot. Oh, and the idea about adding some more intermediate tutorials would be great. Thanks again!

Post #: 1
- 1/23/2001 1:23:00 PM   
chief

Warmskin: My advice would be to read through the many back posts in this forum, then play any game not authored by Wild Bill (at first) and then you will be in a good positon to ask questions. The info in this post is priceless and you'll find a lot of genuine help here...good luck ------------------ Sm:):)th Sailing...chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 2
- 1/23/2001 2:53:00 PM   
Warrior

Welcome! All the suggestions you'll receive here in the Forum will be helpful, but to really get into the game - just start playing scenarios and keep your manual handy (the shorter battles may be easier at first, check the number of moves). I learned by jumping in with both boots, printing the whole manual for quick reference (it's big - be prepared), and taking a lot of beatings. It doesn't take too many abject defeats before you'll get mad and catch on. Good luck!

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 3
- 1/23/2001 3:50:00 PM   
Don

Hi Warmskin, Do you know how to install a scenario, like if you download it or get it by email? I am currently on a project to make tutorials for new players like yourself, and if you can install it I'll send you my first one by email. It will come with a Word document that you can print out and follow along with. These are very small, and each scenario will cover one subject, such as using armor or taking out a bunker. This one is on using flanking techniques. I'm not sure it's even needed, and guys like you could give me the best feedback. I will be finished with it tonight (I hope), and if you give me the ok I'll sendit you to try out. Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 4
- 1/23/2001 9:50:00 PM   
Panzer Capta

You will find a tremendous amount of help from the lads in this forum. However, the best approach is to experiment with different scenerios and settings (change troop qualities and quantities). Create your own simple scenerios selecting weapons and units that you want to learn about. Furthermore, keep a log of questions that develop during your course of play. Also, as suggested to you, spend lots of time reading the current and past posts in this forum. Use the "search topic" feature to find the information you need. Lastly, welcome to the club!!!!!

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 5
- 1/24/2001 1:03:00 AM   
Dagobert

Howdy, I didn't really get into the game until I played the second scenario. Your posture is defensive so most of what you get to do is opfire. Plus most of the major elements of the game are involved, armor artillery etc. Gives you a real feel for the varying effectiveness of the different weapons. Plus it's fun.

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 6
- 1/24/2001 10:29:00 AM   
Warmskin

Many thanks to all who replied. I will try all the suggestions offered. Don: Yes, I would be interested in looking at any 'learning' scenario you might put together. Is it difficult to figure out installing a scenario (I haven't really looked into that part yet)? I am a gaming veteran from way back but I'm new to war-gaming... Also, would purchasing SP3 be a good way to learn the ins and outs of SPWaW? Or does the included manual in the d/l have everything in it the SP3 manual would have? I *have* printed it out, BTW. Thanks again, and I'll keep reading the posts!

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 7
- 1/24/2001 11:11:00 AM   
jonhooper

quote:

Originally posted by Don: Hi Warmskin, Do you know how to install a scenario, like if you download it or get it by email? I am currently on a project to make tutorials for new players like yourself, and if you can install it I'll send you my first one by email. It will come with a Word document that you can print out and follow along with. These are very small, and each scenario will cover one subject, such as using armor or taking out a bunker. This one is on using flanking techniques. I'm not sure it's even needed, and guys like you could give me the best feedback. I will be finished with it tonight (I hope), and if you give me the ok I'll sendit you to try out. Don
Don, would you please send one my way too? Thanks.

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 8
- 1/24/2001 1:38:00 PM   
Don

Hi Warmskin, I wrote up how to install a scenario, and I'll include it with the scenario. For now, d/l this to where you normally do, then create a "Temp" folder in your SPWAW directory and unzip the scenario file to the Temp folder. Then read the Notepad doc titled "learndoc01-installSPWAW". Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 9
- 1/24/2001 1:53:00 PM   
Supervisor

Try WBW's "Jungle Rats" , or Redlegs "Stick by Your Guns". I would suggest one of mine but none of them are simple save for "The Raiders Ride To Work" or "Wittmann's Gamble ------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 10
- 1/24/2001 2:14:00 PM   
jonhooper

Don, that was a great introductory scenario. Thanks.

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 11
- 1/25/2001 10:40:00 AM   
Warmskin

Don: Thank you very much for the 'Flanking Tutorial'. I d/l'd and installed it with no problems. I played it and won a easy 'Decisive Victory' using your flanking techniques. I'll play again tomorrow and bring the Soviet values all back down to 100% first. Everything was definitely easy to understand. If you work on others, if you could make one explaining the use of 'indirect fire, 'spotting' and the proper use of the radio, this would be much appreciated. If those particular aspects of the game are not on your agenda for the next tutorial, well, hey, *no* problem , ANY tutorials would be greatly appreciated! I think my main problem, at least for now, is just understanding *how* the game works. Thanks again! [This message has been edited by Warmskin (edited January 24, 2001).]

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 12
- 1/25/2001 11:31:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Well, hello there, Warmskin! And welcome to one of the best forums anywhere. Here we play what we consider one of the very best tac level wargames to be found. Simple scenarios. Go for the small ones. That was coldblooded, Chief ! Warning the lad before I can get my clutches into him with a WB "special" I'm going to send you directly a couple of smaller, simpler to play scenarios. They will come zipped. Just unzip them and put them into your scen subdirectory. Any questions, give us a holler! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 13
- 1/25/2001 11:33:00 AM   
Don

I'll email you, Warmskin. Glad you like the flanking one! Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 14
- 1/25/2001 12:52:00 PM   
chief

Wild Bill: Hey I'm sorry I ratted you out to a newbie, but a sailor like me playing a military (land game) was annilated by your tactits and I didn't want to send him into harms way without a weapon. By the way did you see my answer to the Maps question I posted 2 days ago????? ------------------ Sm:):)th Sailing...chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 15
- 1/26/2001 6:44:00 AM   
Warmskin

Wild Bill and Don: Thanks a lot to both of you guys for the great support here. I d/l'd everything and I think I have enough to keep me busy for awhile learning the game. Really appreciate it!

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 16
- 1/26/2001 6:53:00 AM   
Reg

WB, Can all this stuff get posted somewhere like a newbies page so all the other newbies can get access to it??? (or perhaps one of the support web sites might pick up on this). Reg. [This message has been edited by Reg (edited January 25, 2001).]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Warmskin)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Need help getting started, please... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI