Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SS Runes showing as squares

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> SS Runes showing as squares Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SS Runes showing as squares - 7/27/2012 5:48:34 PM   
Boggit

In WW2 games SS runes are showing as squares in the unit description. I would add that I've edited the ini file to replace the Times New Roman font with Arial bold, since that makes reports substantially more readable since the last update. Someone recommended this for readability on this forum and it really does improve things, especially for reports. If I put the original ini file back with Times New Roman all is well with the SS runes, but I'm then left with the ugly and harder to read Times New Roman font again. Is there some way to disable the runes so that I just get "SS" in arial bold, or is there some way to make arial bold compatible by modifying the ini file?

I appreciate any help here.
Post #: 1
RE: SS Runes showing as squares - 7/27/2012 7:12:23 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boggit

In WW2 games SS runes are showing as squares in the unit description. I would add that I've edited the ini file to replace the Times New Roman font with Arial bold, since that makes reports substantially more readable since the last update. Someone recommended this for readability on this forum and it really does improve things, especially for reports. If I put the original ini file back with Times New Roman all is well with the SS runes, but I'm then left with the ugly and harder to read Times New Roman font again. Is there some way to disable the runes so that I just get "SS" in arial bold, or is there some way to make arial bold compatible by modifying the ini file?

I don't think there is any help for this. A font can't display a character it lacks. And the Windows fonts don't seem to have the runes in them. So, if you want the runes you have to use the Bitmapped fonts for the fonts that display unit names - which is the recomendation in the What's New.

(in reply to Boggit)
Post #: 2
RE: SS Runes showing as squares - 8/5/2012 7:52:02 AM   
Boggit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I don't think there is any help for this. A font can't display a character it lacks. And the Windows fonts don't seem to have the runes in them. So, if you want the runes you have to use the Bitmapped fonts for the fonts that display unit names - which is the recomendation in the What's New.

Thanks for your reply.

It does seem odd that for some reason selecting Times New Roman supports the SS runes, but Arial doesn't. TNR is a Windows font just as much as Arial. You'd think that in the absence of the runes that just 'SS' as script would show but it doesn't. Do you know if the runes are hardcoded into place for the Times New Roman font, or if there is some way to get the game to display non rune - but "SS" in normal font in the description?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: SS Runes showing as squares - 8/5/2012 3:50:28 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

It does seem odd that for some reason selecting Times New Roman supports the SS runes, but Arial doesn't. TNR is a Windows font just as much as Arial. You'd think that in the absence of the runes that just 'SS' as script would show but it doesn't. Do you know if the runes are hardcoded into place for the Times New Roman font, or if there is some way to get the game to display non rune - but "SS" in normal font in the description?

Times New Roman doesn't display the runes on my machine. Only the bitmapped font displays the runes. Maybe you've got something special, but I'd double check that observation, if I were you. Post a screenshot and we'll be able to tell.

A rune is not an S, regardless of how similar they may appear. So, the only way to get an "SS" to appear would be to edit the unit names in the scenario, if the designer had originally used the runes instead.

(in reply to Boggit)
Post #: 4
RE: SS Runes showing as squares - 8/16/2012 12:12:46 PM   
Boggit

I don't think there's anything that special about my setup. I've edited the opart3 fonts file thus:

[Colors]
ToolTipDelay=10
ToolTipAlpha=150
ToolTipColor=0x0A9639
Background=0x7F7F7F
Gold=0xFFFF99
Red=0xFF0000
Silver=0xFDF5E6
[DocumentFont]
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=N
Spacing=0
Weight=400
Size=10
Font=Arial
[MediumFont]
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=400
Size=8
Font=Arial bold
[SmallFont]
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=N
Spacing=2
Weight=400
Size=7
Font=Arial bold
[ObjectiveFont]
TextColor=0xFFFF84
BackColor=0xFFFFFF
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=0
Weight=400
Size=15
Font=Arial bold
[Unicode]
UnicodeFonty=-4
UnicodeFontx=0
UnicodeFont=N
[ToolTipFont]
TextColor=0
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=N
Spacing=0
Weight=500
Size=12
Font=Times New Roman
[SupplyFont]
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=9
Font=Times New Roman
[SmallSupplyFont]
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=9
Font=Times New Roman
[PlaceNameFont]
TextColor=0xCEFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=10
Font=Times New Roman
[PlaceNameFont1]
TextColor=0xCEFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=20
Font=Times New Roman
[PlaceNameFont2]
TextColor=0x00BFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=10
Font=Times New Roman
[PlaceNameFont3]
TextColor=0xCEFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=7
Font=Times New Roman
[UnitInfoSmallFont]
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=8
Font=Arial bold
[UnitInfoMediumFont]
Font=Arial bold
TextColor=0xFFFFFF
BackColor=0x7F7F7F
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=N
Spacing=1
Weight=900
Size=9

As you can see nothing too unconventional. Mainly I've replaced Times New Roman with Arial Bold to improve readability after the new patch made the script in messages smaller, as was suggested elsewhere on the forum. This actually works quite nicely until you get the SS units with their runes. If I reinstate the opart3 fonts file back again you get the runes back too. If the runes are bitmapped, then I can see why you'd think the arial font was irrelevant, but I think that is the defining difference between the original opart3 fonts file and the arial bold modified one.

I'm not quite sure how to upload a picture, so please advise if it will help find a solution.

I appreciate you trying to help so far as you have. Hopefully the details of the modified opart3 fonts file will be helpful.

Post #: 5
RE: SS Runes showing as squares - 8/16/2012 9:01:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I don't think there's anything that special about my setup. I've edited the opart3 fonts file thus:

Actually, I meant that there might be something special about how your PC is setup - maybe your version of Windows has a better set of fonts than mine does, etc. I don't think there is anything about how TOAW can be setup that could account for what you say you're seeing.

quote:

As you can see nothing too unconventional. Mainly I've replaced Times New Roman with Arial Bold to improve readability after the new patch made the script in messages smaller, as was suggested elsewhere on the forum. This actually works quite nicely until you get the SS units with their runes. If I reinstate the opart3 fonts file back again you get the runes back too. If the runes are bitmapped, then I can see why you'd think the arial font was irrelevant, but I think that is the defining difference between the original opart3 fonts file and the arial bold modified one.

Unfortunately, what you posted doesn't tell us anything, since that's the setup that doesn't display the runes. There's no confusion about that. Nevertheless, I'm sure that the "original opart3 fonts file" uses the bitmapped fonts for just about everything except the placenames and the supply display. But, if you post that one we can double-check that. Note that that file may have the font set to "Times New Roman" for the text fonts, but that is only applied if the "windowsFont" is set to "Y" for those fonts. If it is set to "N", then none of the font parameters are used, and the bitmapped fonts are the ones displayed for those fonts, instead.

The rune is a character, just like the alphanumeric characters. Whether it can be displayed depends upon whether it is present in the font's character set. In the bitmapped font, it is present. It generally isn't present in the Windows fonts' character sets.

quote:

I'm not quite sure how to upload a picture, so please advise if it will help find a solution.

Take a screenshot (<ctrl>Prtsc) of your TOAW game where the runes are being properly displayed. Paste it into your Paint program & save as .jpg. Then, in the "Reply to Message" dialog here on the board, select "Click here to upload!" and upload that file. Also click on "Embed picture in post". Then we can tell what font the runes are being displayed with. Note that the file may have to be clipped to fit the file size limits of this sub-forum. That can be done in your Paint program using the rectangular select tool.

I'm also not aware that "the new patch made the script in messages smaller". Can you clarify what you mean?

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 8/17/2012 4:44:10 PM >

(in reply to Boggit)
Post #: 6
RE: SS Runes showing as squares - 8/16/2012 9:09:42 PM   
Curtis Lemay

ignore double post.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 8/16/2012 9:10:00 PM >

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> SS Runes showing as squares Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI