Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hearts and Minds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  291 292 [293] 294 295   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/9/2012 7:30:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Kendari: Nice, cohesive raid but there are fewer LYB aircraft on the ground.

Morning Air attack on Kendari , at 70,106

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 56

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground
A6M3a Zero: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 33

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 8761
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/9/2012 7:31:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Double post......I.....I......can't think of anything to say.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/9/2012 7:32:37 PM >

Post #: 8762
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/9/2012 7:50:50 PM   
moore4807

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

after 293 pages.... NOW he develops writer's block!!!!

EDIT: I WISH I had thought of this first....
(In best Three Stooges Moe voice: "Quick, Is There a Doctor In the House?")

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 8/9/2012 9:09:49 PM >

Post #: 8763
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/9/2012 7:55:58 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Anything exciting going on in the neighborhood? Did Mandrake Jr. pull and interesting stunts lately? Has Lord Sprior emerged from his alcoholic coma yet?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 8764
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 2:38:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********FOB Mai Tai, Papaete, Jan 28, 1943(c)***********

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): <looking over intelligence reports> What the Hell is "mouseover intel"?

Lucha: Beats me boss.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): Moana, tell those geeky intel idiots to stop using geeky intel jargon.

Moana: <in feching bare-midriff outfit> Yes, boss.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): <begins reading again> ONE THOUSAND! ONE THOUSAND! ONLY 1000 LITTLE YELLOW BASTARDS AT MANADO?! <he stands and begins to dance (with Moana, not Lucha) in a spontaneous South Pacific sort of way. She is quite natural. He seems to be physical therapy patient. They break into wonderful extemporaneous song>

You say Manaydo, I say Manahdo

Moana: Manaydo

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): Manahdo

Moana: Potayto

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): Potahto

Together: Let's call the whole thing ONNNNNN! <they laugh because they cannot come up with any more lyrics>

Lucha: <one bar later>

But oh! If we call the whole thing on,
Then we must embark.
And oh! If we ever embark,
Then that might break my heart!

All togther, holding hands: So, if you like pajamas and I like pajahmas,
I'll wear pajamas and give up pajahmas.
For we know we need each other,
So we better call the calling off on.
Let's call the whole thing on!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 8765
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 2:57:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

Anything exciting going on in the neighborhood? Did Mandrake Jr. pull and interesting stunts lately? Has Lord Sprior emerged from his alcoholic coma yet?

Lets see....I think Admiral Lord Sprior is still trying to talk his way over that bridge wihtout a toll..I believe his line of argument is he is a fellow European

Mandrake Jr. has been well behaved. SG Jr. had to have a "come to Jesus talk" about entitlement mentality but that seems to have worked for now. I think both she and SG realize it may have been a tactical error to fire The Mayan because now they have to do the work that they claimed The Mayan wasn't doing. Truth be told, I have to do some of it too., but I definitely have the high ground.

Mr. Chang stopped construction on his wall. I think he must have gotten "The Letter" from the Architectural Compliance Committee. Poor bastard.

Pocahantas Girl I think had to pay her "no seatbelt" fine because she couldn't find a doctor to say she had sore breastesses from the bolt-on procedure.

The guy with the $10,000 mailbox has been quite pleasant recently. I think he may have converted to Stoicism after he realized his two-timing wife was openly cheating on him. They still live in the same house and the Sheriff Dept comes out about once a week. Lousy situation. 3 kids. I told him he shouldn't have built the pool and fancy outdoor barbecue because it almost always ends badly. He also built a reflection pond. Reflection pond? Really? That is just asking for trouble. Poor bastard.

Post #: 8766
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 3:16:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Oh yeah, the guy up the street that bought the house of the short Indian guy with the hot wife and the Lamborghini that scraped its oil pan every time he went down the driveway...he bought this ridiculous 5 person gasoline powered golfcart thingy with a roof but no doors. It looks like something you would see at a Hawaiian resort to take the guests to their Lanai Cottage. He uses a new quadrunner to take out his trashcans. It's almost a parody. The guy has a carbon footprint the size of New Hampshire.

His new motorhomw is so long it literally cannot make the angle at the bottom of the sloped driveway..so he has to stop, block the wheels, use the hydraulic lift on one rear wheel set, put a portable ramp under that set of wheels, lower the lift, lift the other side, install a ramp, lower the second side, then drive off, stop and put away the ramps. It takes about 30 minutes of pretty hard work. At least he is getting some exercise.

I swear he must have wads of cash to get rid of. It reminds me of Breaking Bad.

Post #: 8767
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 5:42:54 PM   
Grollub

quote:

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): <looking over intelligence reports> What the Hell is "mouseover intel"?

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): Moana, tell those geeky intel idiots to stop using geeky intel jargon.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake(sire of War Admiral): <begins reading again> ONE THOUSAND! ONE THOUSAND! ONLY 1000 LITTLE YELLOW BASTARDS AT MANADO?! <he stands and begins to dance (with Moana, not Lucha) in a spontaneous South Pacific sort of way. She is quite natural. He seems to be physical therapy patient. They break into wonderful extemporaneous song>

Together: Let's call the whole thing ONNNNNN! <they laugh because they cannot come up with any more lyrics>

Then we must embark.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 8768
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 6:02:46 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Lets see....I think Admiral Lord Sprior is still trying to talk his way over that bridge wihtout a toll..I believe his line of argument is he is a fellow European

I think the trouble is that he is slurring his speech...

quote:

SG Jr. had to have a "come to Jesus talk" about entitlement mentality but that seems to have worked for now.

Did you threaten to take the silver spoon away?

quote:

I think both she and SG realize it may have been a tactical error to fire The Mayan because now they have to do the work that they claimed The Mayan wasn't doing. Truth be told, I have to do some of it too., but I definitely have the high ground.

They'll be sorry when the apocalypse comes.

quote:

Mr. Chang stopped construction on his wall. I think he must have gotten "The Letter" from the Architectural Compliance Committee. Poor bastard.

quote:

Pocahantas Girl I think had to pay her "no seatbelt" fine because she couldn't find a doctor to say she had sore breastesses from the bolt-on procedure.

I suppose she could be provided with sore breastesses by other means.....

quote:

The guy with the $10,000 mailbox has been quite pleasant recently. I think he may have converted to Stoicism after he realized his two-timing wife was openly cheating on him. They still live in the same house and the Sheriff Dept comes out about once a week. Lousy situation. 3 kids. I told him he shouldn't have built the pool and fancy outdoor barbecue because it almost always ends badly. He also built a reflection pond. Reflection pond? Really? That is just asking for trouble. Poor bastard.

Is she so hot that he doesnt drop her like a bad habit? Or at least lock her in the shed out back?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 8769
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 9:24:16 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

Then we must embark.

For some reason I picture Ira spinning in his grave, with the assistance of the wind provided by George's uproarious laughter!

Post #: 8770
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 10:06:16 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Listen Dave, you cant have 2 Captains in one AAR trying to be funny.

Either stop being funny or take a demotion to Commander (because we sure as heck not giving Mandrake an honorary promotion).

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 8771
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/10/2012 10:29:09 PM   
Grollub

Hmm ... for some reason, after reading that "Manahdo" post, I realised I had started humming the old ELO/Olivia Newton-John song "Xanadu" ...

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 8772
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/11/2012 11:31:31 AM   
sprior

quote:

I think the trouble is that he is slurring his speech...

A foul calumny sir!

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 8773
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/11/2012 12:05:12 PM   
sprior

Turns out that Churchill invented text speak

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8774
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/11/2012 4:12:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********FOB Mai Tai, Papaete, Jan 29, 1943(c)***********

Fleet Admiral Mandrake: Somebody find out what the Hell a "calumny" is.

Lucha: I think it's one of them shellfish, boss.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake: I didn't say guess, I said find out, damnit. And where are my intelligence reports? I always read my intelligence reports with breakfast.

Moana: Sir, there's no turn yet. The 29th didn't happen yet.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake: Oh you mean the dateline thing? God, that is bloody inconvenient. Speaking of bloody, my drink needs refreshing.

Monana: <pours 18 ingredient Bloody Mary from a pitcher> No sir, it's not the 29th anywhere yet.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake: But the sun came up and it says 29 on my calender?

Monana: Sorry sir. One of the Little Yellow Bastards commanders is visiting family.

Fleet Admiral Mandrake: Damnit all to Hell! OK, did anyone get me that list of Royal Navy ships that aren't sunk yet?

Post #: 8775
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/11/2012 4:38:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Admiral Lord SPrior
12th Grand Poobah of Ceylon
International Sitar Grandmaster
Kandy House, Ceylon

Jan 28, 1943(c)

My Dearest Spri;

This is a heads up on the Sumatra force departure. Br. 18th Div is passing Townsville. Almost all the Aus I Corps arty and engineers are embarked, along with all aviation support that had any target in Sumatra. I think Aus I Corps HQ is already embarked but I will have to have staff get back to you on that. The lagards are 6th and 7th Infantry.

6th Aus has replaced all disabled infantry squads but still has a few support squads to replace. We can start embarking her in 1-2 d and perhaps send any support replacements later. 7th Div still has 33 infantry squads to replace. We can start embarking her slightly understrength in about 3 d.

You are going to need some naval support, perhaps 50+, to aid the landing. Do you have something suitable in India? We could send SWPAC HQ but then you would ahve to contend with You know who.

Now, as for the air complement on the US CV's, will you want the fighter heavy configuration now aboard or do you want to take TBF's?

How is the new secretary working out? Not too much friction, if you catch my drift?

With the Most Sincerest Calumny

Fleet Admiral Mandrake

FOB Mai Tai, Papaete

Post #: 8776
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/11/2012 4:44:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

SG got tickets to a KISS concert for $12. She asked me if I wanted to go and I let it slip that I thought she overpaid. I was thusly disinvited as was replaced with her girlfriend/drinking buddy from Idaho.

I was fine with that but her friend invited herself down for a WEEK! Santa Maria!

Post #: 8777
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 3:34:14 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Get this, the doc gives all the keepsake photos from the study to Stalker Girl because I was still looped and now she is threatening to post her favorite which is a shot

Hey, you're one of those physician guys, right? Don't you know her gynecologist? Isn't there some secret handshake whereby you could seek similar recompense?

Oh, sure, there's that whole HIPAA thing, and medical ethics and divorce attorneys, but it would be a good chuckle in the interim.

Post #: 8778
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 3:39:19 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Also they're still flying A6M2 in 43. Shouldn't they be on to the M3 or M3a models by now?

Yeah, they shoulda made the changeover. I don't know what's going on. You sure seem to be against some real dregs of late though.

Rope-a-dope?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8779
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 3:45:32 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

We even used to cite that event as an indefensible example of bourgeois tastelesness when arguing the moral superiority of Marxism with our parents when we were High School students in Pacific Palisades in 1968.

Dude, things must have changed in Pali between 1968 and my time at Pali high in the mid-80s! We tended to argue about important things: BMW vs. Mercedes; Maui 'wowie' vs. Humboldt Gold, etc.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 8780
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 9:43:47 AM   
sprior

When I went to secondary school in the early 70's we discussed girls and beer. Hence a career in the RN.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8781
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 2:33:56 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

When I went to secondary school in the early 70's we discussed girls and beer. Hence a career in the RN.

Girls and beer I can understand, but when did you develop the affinity for being seasick?

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 8/12/2012 2:34:33 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8782
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 2:44:03 PM   
sprior

quote:

when did you develop the affinity for being seasick?

On the Zeebrugge ferry going back and forth to Germany while living there. My dad was a pongo in BAOR.

< Message edited by sprior -- 8/12/2012 2:53:43 PM >

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 8783
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 4:13:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

No...turn....yet. Old..familar twinge coming back...must call my sponsor..for support..or maybe start game against AI

Nah..that's stupid.

I was so desperate yesterday I went up to Venice Beach with SG and her friend. Now I remember why I never go there. Quite an odd and interesting collection of people but I just wish the place didn't stink so bad. What makes the people interesting? I think it's the novelty... not to mention the feeling of superiority that one immediately feels. Now, I know what you are thinking. What an elitist *-****! No, I promise, if you went there you would immediately have the same sensation, not the offensive olfactory sensation, which you would most certainly have, but the sense of intrinsic and unalterable superiority. Here is why you would feel that way...because you would be right.

When we were done with the circus, we drove North to Santa Monica. Quite amazing. I think there may be an invisible force shield right where the Welcome to Santa Monica sign is on Main St. In a matter of 2 linear feet there is a seismic change. The street gutters are spotless. The sidewalks have been steamwashed. The street is lined with beautifully trimmed ficus trees. I think somebody actually washed all the leaves by hand or sprayed Armor All on them. The air smells like honeysuckle. In Venice there was a guy with a sign that read "Just passing thru/A buck will do/Need a beer". In Santa Monica, the homeless guys send you ads on your I-phone as you drive past. It comes with a cover letter and resume.

We drove up San Vicente, then over to Sunset through Bel Aire and BH (they shoot or Taze the homeless there). The girls spotted a Hustler store in Hollywood and had to stop. <rolls eyes> They go right past the clothes section and into the part behind a partial screen. <rolls eyes again> So we are standing there laughing at this life-size plastic female torso which is anatomically correct (except for the head, arms and legs of course). The photographs on the box leave nothing uncertain as to the contents. It's $400. I was thinking, how do the mecahincs of the purchase of something like that go?

Sales clerk: Would you like a bag for this, sir?

Customer: No, I'll just take it like this. I don't have far to walk.

A female clerk approaches. She looks at the girls and anoounces, "Good evening ladies. I am the vagina whisperer. Can I get you anything?" I guess I should have been flattered she deduced I wasn't going to buy anything but she acted as if I were invisible. In an effort to stay relevant I asked:

"Yes, we were interested in this model here <the torso>, but $400 is a little steep. Do you have any used or returned that are marked down?" This got a good laugh from the girls but the clerk gave me a "**** ***, pal" look. I took my cue and went over to the coffee and danish area to read my book on Guadalcanal. A coffee and pastry bar in a Hustler store. Go figure. I read a few pages of the author beating up on Ghormley and then we drove home.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8784
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 4:25:21 PM   
Walloc

quote:

I took my cue and went over to the coffee and danish area to read my book on Guadalcanal. A coffee and pastry bar in a Hustler store. Go figure. I read a few pages of the author beating up on Ghormley and then we drove home.

Gota love language. A danish, in danish is a Wiener(brød) as in Viena(bread). Or maybe i should be just be insulted to be turned into a piece of pastry...

Carry on,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/12/2012 4:26:40 PM >

Post #: 8785
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 4:40:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

I took my cue and went over to the coffee and danish area to read my book on Guadalcanal. A coffee and pastry bar in a Hustler store. Go figure. I read a few pages of the author beating up on Ghormley and then we drove home.

Gota love language. A danish, in danish is a Wiener(brød) as in Viena(bread). Or maybe i should be just be insulted to be turned into a piece of pastry...

Carry on,

Rasmus

No, no. My fault. I should have capitalized "danish". It was quite literally a "coffee and Danish" area. An open-top tour bus had pulled up out front and the place was packed with Danish tourists. I guess it was the Euro-Dollar exchange rate or something because they were cleaning the joint out.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8786
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 4:57:27 PM   
Walloc

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

Carry on,

Rasmus

No, no. My fault. I should have capitalized "danish". It was quite literally a "coffee and Danish" area. An open-top tour bus had pulled up out front and the place was packed with Danish tourists. I guess it was the Euro-Dollar exchange rate or something because they were cleaning the joint out.

Oh, my bad Cap. Ill hafta come visit that place then, we do drink more coffee per capita than any other nation. Can i come crash for a week too, but sorry im not from Idaho tho. Im willing to distract Idaho girl for a bit too. We can discuss the rent to annoyance removal rate.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Post #: 8787
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:11:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

My usual strategy with visitors. I tell them they are making Pinhead the dog crazy. This makes them feel bad so when the inevitable "accidents" happen (usually the living room for some odd reason), they volunteer to clean it up. Usually I hide the booze too.

Post #: 8788
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:18:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

This is NOT what Venice looks like. San Vicente in Santa Monica. Beautiful old Coral and Magnolias..about a mile from the beach. 15 degrees cooler than dowtown. It goes on like this for miles. Nice place to spend the recession. I think the Japanese car is either tourists or maids, or maybe part of a Korean Construction Bn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/12/2012 5:19:59 PM >

Post #: 8789
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:23:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I think the Japanese car is either tourists or maids, or maybe part of a Korean Construction Bn.

Well, there are zoning ordinances to be followed, of course. I'd bet that Lexus is well-represented in the Santa Monica (used to live there near St. John's hospital by the way) area.

Still, I think it's clear that the economy-minded Japanese car is 'passing through'. If it stopped too long, some of Los Angeles' finest would pay it a visit...

Post #: 8790
Page:   <<   < prev  291 292 [293] 294 295   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  291 292 [293] 294 295   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI