Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWaW Lock Up Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SPWaW Lock Up Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWaW Lock Up Problem - 12/10/2002 8:31:28 AM   
Happy Jack

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I just download SPWaW 7.1 and installed but I cannot get the game to run for more than a minute or so. I've been trying to play the WWII campaign and every time I get into the core force selection screen the game will completely lock up and hang on a sound. The computer has to be manually restarted. I've played before in older versions and I can't figure out what's going on here. My computer specs are as follows:

P4 2.2 Ghz
512 MB RDRAM
GeForce Ti4400
SB Audigy Gamer
WinXP

I went a head and updated all drivers to latest version just in case but no help there.

I would really appreciate any help 'cause I miss playing this game and it's just painfull to have it on the comp and not be able to play ;)

-Happy Jack
Post #: 1
- 12/10/2002 8:59:39 AM   
Supervisor

Try these suggestions one at a time. Try running the game directly from this file.
C:\Matrix Games\Steel Panthers World at War\mech.exe this will bypass the autorun menu, also delete the holder.txt file within this directory [B]C:\Matrix Games\Steel Panthers World at War\save[/B]. Try running the game with sounds off, and try something other than long campaign. What are you running the game at resolution wise? It was designed to run at 800x600 16bit. Also ensure no other programs are running in the background. Let me know how it goes.

(in reply to Happy Jack)
Post #: 2
- 12/10/2002 9:24:22 AM   
Happy Jack

Thanks for the ultra-fast response gmen. I changing my desktop to 8x6 at 16bit, deleted the placeholder file, ran it with no sound from mech.exe, and tried a couple other campaigns all with no luck. In all cases it still locked up a few seconds into the unit selection menu. I did install the game underneath the Program Files directory, could that cause a problem?

(in reply to Happy Jack)
Post #: 3
- 12/11/2002 2:45:13 AM   
Supervisor

It shouldn't but, you can try reinstalling it in it's default directory and or reinstalling the game over itself. Look in this directory C:\MatrixGames\Steel Panthers World at War\save and if you have a file steel.prf delete it and restart the game. The first time you adjust anything in the preference screen this file will be recreated. Are you sure the game version is 7.1? This is displayed at the bottom of the start up screen?

(in reply to Happy Jack)
Post #: 4
Re: SPWaW Lock Up Problem - 12/12/2002 6:54:50 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Happy Jack
[B]Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I just download SPWaW 7.1 and installed but I cannot get the game to run for more than a minute or so. I've been trying to play the WWII campaign and every time I get into the core force selection screen the game will completely lock up and hang on a sound. The computer has to be manually restarted. I've played before in older versions and I can't figure out what's going on here. My computer specs are as follows:

P4 2.2 Ghz
512 MB RDRAM
GeForce Ti4400
SB Audigy Gamer
WinXP

I went a head and updated all drivers to latest version just in case but no help there.

I would really appreciate any help 'cause I miss playing this game and it's just painfull to have it on the comp and not be able to play ;)

-Happy Jack [/B][/QUOTE]

Does XP have a DXdiag.exe like directx 8.0 and earlier had?

If it does, run thru the tests and when you get to sound, set acceleration down a couple of notches.

The Audigy is a resource hog, but even so, on your system it still shouldn't bog down trying to play sounds.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Happy Jack)
Post #: 5
- 12/12/2002 9:29:09 PM   
Supervisor

Yes XP has a DXdiag and by design XP installs DirectX ver 8.1a.

(in reply to Happy Jack)
Post #: 6
geforce suck - 12/17/2002 12:02:56 PM   
eniced33

i had the same problem with a geforce card. I got a radeon and it works like a charm. sp2 and spmbt also run flawlessly. Before i could not get either to run.

(in reply to Happy Jack)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SPWaW Lock Up Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI