Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Civil War General

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Civil War General Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Civil War General - 8/11/2012 7:51:28 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

Just want to give everyone a heads up.

Civil War General, a 2D Civil War Strategic & Tactical game will be going live on Kickstarter this Monday - August 13th. Anyone interested in making a pledge for this Ultimate Civil War Game... visit this post on Monday.

If you have ever played Robert E Lee Civil War General 2 and wanted a sequel... this will be your dream come true.

This will be the greatest Civil War Game ever made.
Post #: 1
RE: Civil War General - 8/11/2012 2:29:21 PM   
parusski

Okay, will stop by Monday. I have always wanted such a sequel.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to JeanAllTrekkie)
Post #: 2
RE: Civil War General - 8/11/2012 6:19:13 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeanAllTrekkie

Very bold statement. Hope it does work out, never too many american civil war games.

Post #: 3
RE: Civil War General - 8/11/2012 7:54:54 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Very bold statement.

Indeed. I can't see that from a CWG2 sequel, although I never was a big one for gaming nostalgia. The ultimate Civil War game for me would have to combine the strategic play of the AGEOD and Grisgsby games with tactical combat matching that of the Scourge of War engine. Good luck with it, anyway!

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Civil War General - 8/11/2012 9:50:45 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Very excited about this.

This was one of my favorites. I loved the game despite a few flaws. First, some scenarios seemed to be poorly designed and impossible to win as one side or another. I never could win Shiloh as the Confederates. I would always push the Union almost into the river on day 1 and then on day 2 when reinforcements arrived I would inevitably lose.
Second, how you did in a scenario did not seem to impact the campaign much. There was a time playing as the Confederacy in the first Mannassas where I captured 17,000 Union soldiers and caused a further 6,000 casulties. In reality this would have shatter the Union and I would have marched on Washington.
Instead I get a decisive victory but the campaign branches me off to the same scenario I would have if I had not captured 40% of the Union army.

If the campaign is beefed up with more scenarios added and the resolution made modern and AI improved, this could be a very worthy successor.
Consider me a backer :)

Post the link please when it is up.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Civil War General - 8/12/2012 5:36:37 PM   
berto

quote:

quote:

Very bold statement.

+1

edit> The original Civil War General series:

Beer and pretzels. Without the foam. Or the salt. Stale and flat.

< Message edited by berto -- 8/12/2012 9:04:17 PM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 6
RE: Civil War General - 8/12/2012 7:09:04 PM   
JeanAllTrekkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Very bold statement.

Indeed. I can't see that from a CWG2 sequel, although I never was a big one for gaming nostalgia. The ultimate Civil War game for me would have to combine the strategic play of the AGEOD and Grisgsby games with tactical combat matching that of the Scourge of War engine. Good luck with it, anyway!

You will be happily surprised.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Civil War General - 8/13/2012 12:20:22 AM   
sullafelix

I do not want to burst any bubbles but has anyone seen OpenGen which is a free game. It has tons of WWII and WWI along with scenarios right up to the Civil War.

If any game reminded me of the Civil War generals series it was Panzer General.

I might be being stupid here. I didn't ever think to put the two toghether until I just wrote them. Were they done by the same people?

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Post #: 8
RE: Civil War General - 8/13/2012 12:51:04 AM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Very bold statement.

You will be happily surprised.

Although still skeptical, you have certainly peaked my interest....you at least will get me to look at your page on Monday:)

Post #: 9
RE: Civil War General - 8/13/2012 11:31:58 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Did I miss the link that was supposed to be provided today?

Post #: 10
RE: Civil War General - 8/13/2012 11:59:59 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I do not want to burst any bubbles but has anyone seen OpenGen which is a free game. It has tons of WWII and WWI along with scenarios right up to the Civil War.

If any game reminded me of the Civil War generals series it was Panzer General.

I might be being stupid here. I didn't ever think to put the two toghether until I just wrote them. Were they done by the same people?

I have, and love, OpenGen.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 11
RE: Civil War General - 8/14/2012 4:24:47 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

quote:

Yes we apologize but Kickstarter has us in their que. We believed we would be submitted by Monday but it looks like Tuesday right now

We apologize for the delay

Post #: 12
RE: Civil War General - 8/14/2012 10:35:58 AM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

quote:

Yes we apologize but Kickstarter has us in their que. We believed we would be submitted by Monday but it looks like Tuesday right now

Well while we wait, maybe you can answer some questions. When the page goes live, will it actually contain actual game screens for viewing? Has any actual development started? If so, how much? Assuming you get funded, what is the estimated time to game completion?

Post #: 13
RE: Civil War General - 8/15/2012 1:13:30 AM   
Grim.Reaper

still nothing?

Post #: 14
RE: Civil War General - 8/15/2012 2:16:04 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well while we wait, maybe you can answer some questions. When the page goes live, will it actually contain actual game screens for viewing? Has any actual development started? If so, how much? Assuming you get funded, what is the estimated time to game completion?

When the page goes live it will contain concept UI screens, some 2D units we developed and some design documentation.

Yes Development has started. The design document, 2D art, Music, has been started or near completion. The kickstarter budget we hope to make will pay for the programming development team we have for coding of the title, as well as finishing up some back end work such as 2D art and finalizing The UI.

I will wait to announce the game completion date... but I will say its sooner than you think.

Post #: 15
RE: Civil War General - 8/16/2012 8:28:48 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

After a few days of trying to get Civil War General on Kickstarter... Kickstarter rejected our project. The reason was because our plans included hiring a outside company to develop the coding for Civil War General. Attached is a image of the response we received from Kickstarter. We disagree with their decision and we plan to file a grievance with Kickstarter.

Now about the future of Civil War General. Kickstarter was where we wanted to receive the funding for Civil War General, however that avenue will not be pursued. Instead we plan to develop a website primarily devoted to Civil War General. Through this website... you the fans will be able to provide the funding we need to get this project done. In order to get funding for this title we will setup a Reward system. The reward system will work just like Kickstarter does. For your donation you will recieve a copy of the game upon release. There will be different forms of rewards, depending on how much you want to contribute and receive as a reward. We plan to release this website by the end of September.

We will keep you all updated on our progress.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Civil War General - 8/16/2012 11:18:49 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

After a few days of trying to get Civil War General on Kickstarter... Kickstarter rejected our project. The reason was because our plans included hiring a outside company to develop the coding for Civil War General. Attached is a image of the response we received from Kickstarter. We disagree with their decision and we plan to file a grievance with Kickstarter.

Now about the future of Civil War General. Kickstarter was where we wanted to receive the funding for Civil War General, however that avenue will not be pursued. Instead we plan to develop a website primarily devoted to Civil War General. Through this website... you the fans will be able to provide the funding we need to get this project done. In order to get funding for this title we will setup a Reward system. The reward system will work just like Kickstarter does. For your donation you will recieve a copy of the game upon release. There will be different forms of rewards, depending on how much you want to contribute and receive as a reward. We plan to release this website by the end of September.

For me, this sounds like too much of a risk to consider investing......if/when this actually gets developed, I'll certainly take a peak, but not likely before.

Post #: 17
RE: Civil War General - 8/17/2012 4:01:02 AM   
histgamer

quote:

quote:

For me, this sounds like too much of a risk to consider investing......if/when this actually gets developed, I'll certainly take a peak, but not likely before.

Ditto... as an aside I would have a hard time ever investing in a project that I don't see some kind of return... ie if the company does well I get a stake. Granted thats not the Kickstarter model but it's how I feel. I don't get how some people invest thousands of dollars on those projects and don't demand even a fraction of a percent of the company.

Post #: 18
RE: Civil War General - 8/19/2012 8:51:01 AM   
pelle75

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy
Ditto... as an aside I would have a hard time ever investing in a project that I don't see some kind of return... ie if the company does well I get a stake.

That is what has kept me from funding anything on kickstarter so far.

I can understand why kickstarter are not so enthusiastic about funding being used to pay external programmers. That sounds like a huge risk compared to developing everything in-house (with the programmers also being in the same boat and prepared to work all those obligatory hours of overtime to keep an upstart alive).

A bit surprised that you even go to kickstarter before you have a somewhat complete game engine running to show off. Graphics sounds like exactly the thing you can easily (and in predictable amount of time) pay for once you have funding.

Trenches of Valor
WW1 Trench Raiding
http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=95

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Civil War General Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread