Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hello everybody

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Hello everybody Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 12:16:09 AM   
StK

I'm currently house sitting for a friend of mine and found this gem on his hdd (which makes me spend a lot more time at his place whenever I have time, which upsets my girlfriend a little).
I don't think I ever played a game before that was so intriguing and frustrating at the same time . It's a challenge I like it (but it could be a lot more beginner-friendly with just a few tweaks).
I saw several people from Austria (which is where I'm from) in this forum so I have a question: Is there a reasonable way to buy a boxed version of this game or do I have to get the download one?

I might have a lot of questions later, but for now I will use the search function for several days and watch the "tutorial" vids (ty n01487477) and read some AARs (ty to all the people who make the effort), because there is no need to waste other peoples time if I can help it.

Changing ones point of view isn't easy, but it provides one with a different view on the subject.
Post #: 1
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 12:22:52 AM   
ilovestrategy

Welcome to Matrix! You'll find that the people here are really friendly and helpful with questions.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 2
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 12:30:27 AM   
Dan Nichols

Product page shows both download and boxed( with free download ).

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/351/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral%27s.Edition

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 3
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 1:06:49 AM   
pws1225

No problem with questions. Ask away. We were all new to the game once too.

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 4
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 1:14:03 AM   
StK

@Dan Nichols: Ahh ok.. since the game doesn't show up in the German Amazon store I was a little worried the boxed version would be sent to me from the US, but as I checked now it seems to be sent from Germany which would result in reasonable shipping time and cost.

Changing ones point of view isn't easy, but it provides one with a different view on the subject.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 5
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 1:34:28 AM   
jeffk3510

Welcome! Feel free to ask away. This is a wonderful community

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 6
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 2:56:09 AM   
StK

Well: Several things came to my attention during my first round in the grand campaign (other then that workload seems to be overwhelming, there is simply so much to do.) And even though I worked through most things and read several AARs and threads (I was lurking here for quite a while before actually posting ;) ) I couldn't find an answer.

1. How many Hexes can a Plane efficiently search? I know 1 plane can search about 10° thoroughly (at least the tutorial video says so) but the bigger the range the more hexes lie in that arc, which should result in a worse search result?

2. Planes flying at a higher altitude.. lets say 12000ft should be able to cover more ground but should have a harder time spotting smaller forces? (low flying planes should cover less ground but have a higher hit rate (and might spot subs?) at least that's what "logic" tells me?

3. It was stated that PT-Boats perform better when visibility is low against surface combat ships(which seems logical because otherwise they would be picked of by the superior range of combat vessels with proper guns.. so that would imply i should hit with them during night time. But I have no control over this as I can only set airplanes to only operate at night or am I missing something?

4. In the tutorial videos its stated that fast transport groups have a chance to abort their transport mission if there is an enemy fleet present (the video says something about 50%). Can I force them to go through with it? Or does the commanders aggressiveness play into that?

5. The manual states that if an airgroup is disbanded planes and pilots go into the pool, but the game says that pilots and planes will be "lost"(which would make them unavailable, no?). Which of those is true? And if they go into the pool can I disband restricted air units to gain planes for unrestricted units? (which would make some planes in the eastern US a perfect way to get valueable airframes to under-equipped combat units)

6. The workload is a little overwhelming for a new player (I'm no stranger to games with a high workload... the Victoria or Hearts of Iron series f.e. but WitP - AE plays in a completely different league). There is the quiet China scenario and i read that "after a few turns combat will stop in china. What does that mean? Are the Japanese units that were there after a few turns able to flood the rest of the map or do they get frozen. What happens to the Chinese Units or to the whole area for that fact?

I think that's it for now.

< Message edited by StK -- 8/19/2012 3:16:13 AM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 7
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:04:51 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: StK

... I might have a lot of questions later, but for now I will use the search function for several days and watch the "tutorial" vids (ty n01487477) and read some AARs (ty to all the people who make the effort), because there is no need to waste other peoples time if I can help it.

That is the correct attitude to take, and I do wish others also adopted it too. Not because asking questions "wastes" other peoples time but because people who don't make a real effort to understand what the problem is and how it is resolved, invariably do not really learn and remain forever beholden to others for answers.

The act of clearly thinking through what exactly is the problem goes a long way to providing the answer. The discipline which it imposes is invaluable. Ultimately one only learns if the principles are understood and then whenever a new problem arises one can work backwards from first principles and apply them to the changed circumstances which have arisen.

Going through that exercise won't remove all ambiguities at first. But as already stated you will find many here who will quickly clarify or explain issues to you. Having done your "homework" before asking, you will derive much more value from the answers to your queries which will inevitably be provided.

Alfred

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 8
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:05:21 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Am I the only one who finds it odd and a bit creepy that someone I asked to house sit for me would go through my computer?
Maybe I am just too private

Anyways, welcome to the forum. Once you like the game enough you can purchase it and then continue to piss off your GF while ignoring her from the comfort of your own home

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 9
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:14:48 AM   
StK

@Fallschirmjäger ;) well I went to kindergarden with my friend and we are very close.. he won't mind. He would have told me if something on his computer was off-limits and I would've respected it. Heck I know the code for his ATM card because he told me in case he would forget

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 10
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:20:50 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

@Fallschirmjäger ;) well I went to kindergarden with my friend and we are very close.. he won't mind. He would have told me if something on his computer was off-limits and I would've respected it. Heck I know the code for his ATM card because he told me in case he would forget

Sounds like you have a true friend there :) Those are rare

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 11
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:26:36 AM   
zuluhour

Standing by should iffy advice be needed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 12
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:29:54 AM   
Alfred

quote:

Well: Several things came to my attention during my first round in the grand campaign (other then that workload seems to be overwhelming, there is simply so much to do.)

1. How many Hexes can a Plan efficiently search? I know 1 plane can search about 10° thoroughly but the bigger the range the more hexes lie in that arc, which should result in a worse search result?

Recon planes conducting a "recon mission" engage in a point to point activity. Range therefore does not deteriorate their effectiveness.

Patrol planes (includes float planes and bombers) conducting a "naval search" mission are engaged in an area activity. For them there is a negative corelation between distance and effectiveness. From an efficiency POV, there is very limited value in placing to search out for more than 12 hexes.

Note that aircraft conducting an "ASW mission" (another area activity) the range of the plane is halved.

2. Planes flying at a higher altitude.. lets say 12000ft should be able to cover more ground but should have a harder time spotting smaller forces? (low flying planes should cover less ground but have a higher hit rate (and might spot subs?) at least that's what "logic" tells me?

Much debated over the years. Some players hold that view, others don't. Subs might be spotted (but not attacked) by a unit flying a "naval search" mission because the sub is in a TF but really if you want to spot and attack subs from the air, you should use the "ASW mission".

3. It was stated that PT-Boats perform better when visibility is low against surface combat ships(which seems logical because otherwise they would be picked of by the superior range of combat vessels with proper guns.. so that would imply i should hit with them during night time. But I have no control over this as I can only set airplanes to only operate at night or am I missing something?

You do have some control. TFs move in two phases, night first followed by day. To aim for a night action time your movement so that the distance to be travelled can be met solely during the first night phase.

4. In the tutorial videos its stated that fast transport groups have a chance to abort their transport mission if there is an enemy fleet present (the video says something about 50%). Can I force them to go through with it? Or does the commanders aggressiveness play into that?

You can set the threat tolerance level of the task force itself.

5. The manual states that if an airgroup is disbanded planes and pilots go into the pool, but the game says that pilots and planes will be "lost"(which would make them unavailable, no?). Which of those is true? And if they go into the pool can I disband restricted air units to gain planes for unrestricted units? (which would make some planes in the eastern US a perfect way to get valueable airframes to under-equipped combat units)

Both are true. That is because there are two different types of air unit withdrawal.

(a) Units which are permanently withdrawn, never to return, lose their pilots and airframes. These are units which were sent to the ETO and took no further part in the PTO.
(b) Units which will return some time after their withdrawal see their pilots and airframes go into the pools. Most units which withdraw fall into this category.

Don't be so quick in disbanding units. You need air units away from the frontlines training pilots.

6. The workload is a little overwhelming for a new player (I'm no stranger to games with a high workload... the Victoria or Hearts of Iron series f.e. but WitP - AE plays in a completely different league). There is the quiet China scenario and i read that "after a few turns combat will stop in china. What does that mean? Are the Japanese units that were there after a few turns able to flood the rest of the map or do they get frozen. What happens to the Chinese Units or to the whole area for that fact?

Quiet China means that the AI does not pursue offensive targets. There is initially some "housekeeping" operations but once they have been met, it goes on a sitzkrieg.

I think that's it for now.

Alfred

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 13
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 4:11:39 AM   
StK

@Alfred ty for the quick reply, it really helped, now I might be able to finish the turn 1 I started 2 days ago :)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 4:20:55 AM   
DOCUP

StK welcome to the black hole of WITP AE.  It will suck you in and suck away all your free time and you will be happy.  Good luck

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 15
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 8:14:58 AM   
LoBaron

Welcome to the nuthouse. Another Austrian fighting the Pacific. I see a definite danger this will become a habit.

Now, guys show what you know! Name that ship:

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 16
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 12:00:49 PM   
tocaff

Welcome aboard.

Do enough to keep the GF around as there are some things the game can't do for you. Otherwise say goddbye to what some people would call a normal life.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 17
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 1:51:41 PM   
StK

@LoBaron: Its definitely a Tegethoff-Class so I would say its the SMS Viribus Unitis? (or are Austrians excluded from the quiz? (^^,) ).

edit @tocaff: I think I let her complain a little she seems to like it after all (^^,)

< Message edited by StK -- 8/19/2012 1:56:40 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 18
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 3:31:14 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

@LoBaron: Its definitely a Tegethoff-Class so I would say its the SMS Viribus Unitis? (or are Austrians excluded from the quiz? (^^,) ).

Ah not at all.

But also not surprizing that you were the first hit close to the mark.
Its the classes name patron, SMS Tegethoff.

Wonder how many yankees know or care that little Austria once sailed the 6th largest navy of the world...not that it achieved much.

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 19
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 5:07:48 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

Ah not at all.

But also not surprising that you were the first hit close to the mark.
Its the classes name patron, SMS Tegethoff.

Wonder how many yankees know or care that little Austria once sailed the 6th largest navy of the world...not that it achieved much.

LoBaron -

Am currently reading a four book series about the adventures of Cadet Prohaska in the KuK Navy, 1900 through 1918, by John Biggins. Kind of a "Master and Commander" with a sense of humor - but very well done, and appears to be historically accurate; an excellent read.

I am very interested in WW1, and currently compiling a list of books on the Austro - Hungarian Empire, from it's inception through 1918. Austria has a remarkably fascinating history - a whole cast of characters who had a significant impact on world history.

SMS Tegethoff and her three sister ships were very graceful. I love those old ships - a symbol of power so many years ago.

Admiral Miklos Horthy, who lead the Otranto Raid (SMS Viribus Unitis, Prinz Eugen and Szent Istvan) became Regent of Hungary shortly after the war, until deposed by Germany in 1944. Yet another connection with history.

Ok - didn't mean to get carried away.

StK - Welcome aboard. You are in very good company; a First Class group of individuals on this forums who are very sharp. I have learned more than I could have ever imagined about history due to my association with this forum.

Yankee Mac <grin>

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 8/19/2012 5:25:44 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 20
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 5:52:15 PM   
sprior

quote:

Am currently reading a four book series about the adventures of Cadet Prohaska in the KuK Navy, 1900 through 1918, by John Biggins. Kind of a "Master and Commander" with a sense of humor - but very well done, and appears to be historically accurate; an excellent read.

I've been reading them too - although i would say POB did have a sense of humour, it's just buried a bit deeper.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 21
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 5:54:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Heck I know the code for his ATM card because he told me in case he would forget

Whoa! I wouldn't even trust my wife with that....unless I had to make bail or something.

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 22
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 6:00:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

From an efficiency POV, there is very limited value in placing to search out for more than 12 hexes.

Wow...did not know the code was that precise, although it makes sense because of the geometry. A 10 degree arc at nearly 500 miles out has to be quite broad.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/19/2012 6:01:55 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 23
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 6:13:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I calculated it. The arc of a 10 degree search arc at 500 miles is about 87 mi. The straight line distance would be a bit less but a single search plane could not fly a simple reciprocal path at that distance from base and still search the entire area.

I have to say I am pretty impressed someone included that in the code.

Step up code-writer and allow us to shower you with praise!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/19/2012 6:15:26 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 24
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 8:26:49 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

I've been reading them too - although i would say POB did have a sense of humour, it's just buried a bit deeper.

sprior -

The Aubrey and Maturin series are in a class of their own - exceptionally well written. I have the whole series; finished number 20 a year ago. Have the incomplete "21"; but not the heart to read it with O'Brian gone. Do hope that someone will pick up the torch and carry on.

On the other hand, there has since been several authors who have written in a similar vein. The Flashman adventures (George MacDonald Fraser) holds it own with O'Brian.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 25
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 8:27:59 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I calculated it. The arc of a 10 degree search arc at 500 miles is about 87 mi. The straight line distance would be a bit less but a single search plane could not fly a simple reciprocal path at that distance from base and still search the entire area.

I have to say I am pretty impressed someone included that in the code.

Step up code-writer and allow us to shower you with praise!

AE is awesome...

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 8/19/2012 8:28:45 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 26
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 9:01:50 PM   
LoBaron

Wow, Mac, never heard of that series. Must take a look at once! Thanks for the hint!

Post #: 27
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 11:38:23 PM   
mikkey

Welcome aboard StK.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 28
RE: Hello everybody - 8/19/2012 11:42:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

I have the whole series; finished number 20 a year ago. Have the incomplete "21"; but not the heart to read it with O'Brian gone.

Yes, the series was cur-tailed.

The Moose

Post #: 29
RE: Hello everybody - 8/20/2012 2:56:55 AM   
Mac Linehan

Moose - San:

Captain Aubrey would recognize and be pleased with your humor... <grin>

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Hello everybody Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI