Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions of a poor, lost soul

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Questions of a poor, lost soul Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/20/2012 10:52:08 PM   
StK

I think I have quite a good grasp on the basic game mechanics now (the game tries to prove me wrong about that every turn, but hey.. that's part of the beauty of it (^^,).

But I'm lost when it comes to the supply/resource situation.
I know how its working, but is there anything that can help me with the calculations of how much will be needed(or resources/oil) will be produced) in a region (like Australia), or do I have to look through the list of bases, find out which of them is where and add up everything manually?

Changing ones point of view isn't easy, but it provides one with a different view on the subject.
Post #: 1
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/20/2012 11:04:47 PM   
Dan Nichols

If you haven't yet done it, download WitPTracker and use it. It has a lot of info.

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 1:13:19 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: StK

I think I have quite a good grasp on the basic game mechanics now (the game tries to prove me wrong about that every turn, but hey.. that's part of the beauty of it (^^,).

But I'm lost when it comes to the supply/resource situation.
I know how its working, but is there anything that can help me with the calculations of how much will be needed(or resources/oil) will be produced) in a region (like Australia), or do I have to look through the list of bases, find out which of them is where and add up everything manually?

Hi StK,

If you're looking at it from the Allied point of view, you needn't bother with HI, Oil or resources production numbers in any area. If you *really* want to do the calculations, you still can via Tracker or other formulae (see the manual), but it's quite unnecessary from the Allied POV.

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 5:51:10 AM   
JeffroK

IMVHO, dont try to over complicate the game in your early attempts.

Let it run, see what problems occur then try and resolve them, or come here for help.

And even as an AFB, use Tracker.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 6:19:13 AM   
Fallschirmjager

My best bit of advice is that you don't have to do everything on turn 1. You will spend a lot of time scouring ports for small transports and cargo ships and sending them to bigger ports.
Do as much as you can on turn 1 but don't beat yourself up if you miss things.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 6:31:21 AM   
jmalter

the game has an Industry Management screen, hotkey 'J'. bring this up, then tag the 'base at minimal requirements' text at the top right. this will show you the industry that can't build, 'cos it doesn't have enough input. (say, a refinery doesn't have oil, so it can't produce fuel.)

the game's Industry Management screen shows all your industrial facilities. what's most important here, is that you turn all repair to OFF, especially in China (factory repair eats supply, don't starve your Chinese forces of supply to repair industry) and Burma/DEI (why spend supply to repair industry that will be captured soon?)

the 1st exception to the 'do not repair' rule is the shipyards at Pearl Harbor. they will likely take some hits on 7Dec41, & need repair ASAP. no few AFBs have discovered the PH shipyard damage after 2 months or so, they'd lost a lot of badly-needed repair capacity.

Singapore is a good example - it'll take a lot a damage from air-attacks. but as you withdraw into the port, you'll need the supply-points to keep your defenders alive as long as possible. it takes 1,000 supply to repair 1 industry-point. DON'T repair at Singers, you're just starving the defenders.

if you do want to repair industry, be aware that 1 heavy-industry point produces 2 supply per day, & 1 light-industry point produces 1 supply per day. so, it'll take 500 days of production for the HI point to break even on the supply-points you spent to repair it.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 8/21/2012 6:41:46 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 11:00:50 AM   
StK

Yes for now I'm playing Allies, because they seem more beginner friendly .. as you have lots of space for errors.

hmm repairing industry seems a little over expensive then, but I will think of this .. ty

And in the Grand Campaign. Yes I know I don't have to do everything at turn one but the industry screen only shows a problem when its already to late and the distances make "acting as problems show up" .. prohibitive, but I will run with it, play through several rounds and by then I should have managed to sort everything out. Shame that there are no in-game graphs that could help.

And I will try tracker.

edit: I might make a Database for this myself Where I divide everything into regions with information about what is located there if it is +/- in resources and how much supply is produced there.

< Message edited by StK -- 8/21/2012 12:36:04 PM >

Changing ones point of view isn't easy, but it provides one with a different view on the subject.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 12:43:20 PM   
Historiker

With the tracker, there's no more need for own databases. This program is amazing and almost essential to the game.
The developers are friendly and will help you get it running if you face issues. Absolutely fantastic app!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 12:57:18 PM   
RogerJNeilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: StK

Yes for now I'm playing Allies, because they seem more beginner friendly .. as you have lots of space for errors.

hmm repairing industry seems a little over expensive then, but I will think of this .. ty

And in the Grand Campaign. Yes I know I don't have to do everything at turn one but the industry screen only shows a problem when its already to late and the distances make "acting as problems show up" .. prohibitive, but I will run with it, play through several rounds and by then I should have managed to sort everything out. Shame that there are no in-game graphs that could help.

And I will try tracker.

edit: I might make a Database for this myself Where I divide everything into regions with information about what is located there if it is +/- in resources and how much supply is produced there.

Tracker will export as csv files and you can load these up into a database - saves a lot of time.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to StK)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 11:36:24 PM   
Oldguard1970

Hello STK and welcome.

Chickenboy is correct. As the Allied player you do not have to worry about industry. Just leave it alone. You can fiddle with resources or oil, but I do not bother. I focus on fuel and supplies.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 10
RE: Questions of a poor, lost soul - 8/21/2012 11:41:10 PM   
StK

Sometimes I do seem to get in my own way when trying to do everything and in the end accomplishing little until I can figure out what part of a system is important and what isn't. However I have kind of retired from the big campaign for now and try to best the Japs in the area of Guadalcanal to get started. Should've done so in the first place.

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Questions of a poor, lost soul Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI