Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Noob question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Noob question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Noob question - 8/23/2012 7:22:49 AM   
moalkha

Hi all,
I have been playing this fantastic game for a few weeks now, and I just started my first GC against the Japan AI.

Obviously there are still a lot of things that I don't fully grasp, but there is one in particular for which I have a serious doubt and that is regarding replacements and upgrades for LCUs devices.

I understand what the command to accept replacements is but I don't fully grasp the "allow upgrades" one, and my question regarding this are the following:

- Is this command for upgrading LCUs devices to later model? (I.E. going from US 42 infantry squad to the 43 infantry squad)

- If I set "allow upgrades" to off, does that mean that the unit will use the same device for the entire war? (I.E. US 41 infantry squad)

- If the answers to previous questions are yes, does this mean that I have to "babysit" all my units to upgrade only the ones I really care given the scarce number of squads produced by the Allies in order not to waste them on units not used in combat?

Thanks everyone in advance for the help you will provide.

Post #: 1
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 8:05:43 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Yes and yes

You don't have to worry about shortages as the Allies. But you might want to babysit unit upgrades to ensure that frontline units get upgrades first. Otherwise it is kind of haphazard who gets upgrades.

But as the Allies I am usually able to upgrade every unit that matters within 3-4 months of a new device being released.
You can turn off a lot of upgrades for second line and rear echelon units.
i.e. baseforces where the Japanese will never ever reach. Those units will just suck up AA guns and infantry units.

If you don't feel like messing with it, you can leave automatic upgrades on for every unit and while they upgrade in a haphazard fashion, every unit does eventually get what it needs. Just don't be surprised if an infantry division prepping for an invasion on the front lines has to wait a few extra weeks when a base force in Panama has shiny new AA guns and artillery pieces.

All of my advice is rendered invalid if you suffer very heavy losses.
If you lose an entire division and must rebuild it then that is several hundred devices being used at once which can suck the pool dry.

So that was my short answer. My longer answer is that you will never run out of upgrades, along with planes, supply, fuel and ships. The Allied side is an endless stream of overwhelming industrial might. And you get to wield it to slay the Imperial dragon.
That is one of the advantages of being the good guys :)

(in reply to moalkha)
Post #: 2
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 8:08:51 AM   
Alfred

You are confusing aircraft unit upgrades with LCU upgrades. They are quite different.

1. For LCU upgrades read the following thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2899779&mpage=25&key=

page 25 posts #746 and #748, and
page 26 post #757

2. There is no specific upgrade button for LCU upgrades. There is a specific upgrade button air unit upgrades.

3. Yes, you will have to prioritise which LCUs will be candidates for receiving the upgraded equipment. Usually American units do not require close watching as their replacement build rates are generally robust. British and Australian combat LCUs however do need to be watched as their replacement build rates are not generous.

4. Consider whether small battalion sized units should be disbanded so that their devices can go into the pool and be drawn upon by stronger units to fill out their TOE.

Alfred

(in reply to moalkha)
Post #: 3
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 10:45:37 AM   
moalkha

Thank you both for your kind help.

I didn't know that upgraded devices returned to the pool would automatically convert to the latest model.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 1:06:20 PM   
Capt Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred
2. There is no specific upgrade button for LCU upgrades.
Alfred

This is incorrect. If you toggle the LCU replacements button to ON, a button appears next to the words No Upgrade. If you then toggle this button, upgrades will become available to the ground unit. (This assumes you have the latest official version of the game.)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 2:52:16 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

quote:

Alfred

This is incorrect. If you toggle the LCU replacements button to ON, a button appears next to the words No Upgrade. If you then toggle this button, upgrades will become available to the ground unit. (This assumes you have the latest official version of the game.)

I would suspect that your comment proves Alfred to be right, in that you have to DO something to create the option of upgrading a unit. It is not automatic. Once that step of allowing replacements is set, THEN you have the ability to allow upgrades. However, I don't speak for Alfred, but I think I can see how his words fit. Hal

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 8/23/2012 2:53:45 PM >

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 6
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 5:30:29 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

quote:

Alfred

I would suspect that your comment proves Alfred to be right, in that you have to DO something to create the option of upgrading a unit. It is not automatic. Once that step of allowing replacements is set, THEN you have the ability to allow upgrades. However, I don't speak for Alfred, but I think I can see how his words fit. Hal

dr.hal is correct.

The analogy is that with an air unit one has an accelerator pedal but with an LCU unit one only now, post the patch, has a brake pedal.

With an air unit the player can manually upgrade all the aircraft.

With the LCU the change to a new TOE is handled by the code automatically and cannot be forced by the player. Furthermore it is a 2 step process in that it is not sufficient to merely upgrade the TOE. The devices themselves still have to be replaced in a separate action, line by line, which again is handled automatically without direct player action.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 7
RE: Noob question - 8/23/2012 7:36:20 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Let me modify my advice. What I meant was that if you go to the LCU screen and toggle off upgrades for every LCU in the game, you can then pick the front line LCU's of your choice and turn upgrades back on. This ensures that they will get upgrade priority over second line units.
Sorry if I made it sound like you could upgrade them with a click of the mouse.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Noob question - 8/24/2012 5:31:02 PM   
moalkha

Thanks again to everyone for the help; I will now try to decide which units to upgrade.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Noob question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI