Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/26/2012 1:31:05 AM   
bryanhbell

I've been a Civilization player for years and decided I'd like to try a 4x space game. I've tried GalCiv2, but it seemed a bit dated and is no longer being developed. I've been looking at the various games in this genre and seeing that the genre seems to be lacking a modern game with adequate depth (that isn't also plagued with bugs). Distant Worlds seemed to fit the bill, but that price! With the 33% off sale, I decided to make a move and bought it with the expansions on Thursday.

Did you just buy Distant Worlds for the first time because of the 33% off sale? If so, sound off here!

Bryan H. Bell
Post #: 1
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/26/2012 5:26:28 PM   
scharmers

I did. Veloxi was praising DW on a couple of boards, but the $90+ price tag turned EVERYONE off. Once the sale started, though, I can personally think of at least 5 or 6 people who picked it up, including myself. Matrix is overpriced (which is why I've only picked up Star shatter and CAW from them over the years) and hopefully the new purchases of DW at the lower price point makes them reconsider.

As for DW itself, good lord is this the last game my ADD needs. Thanks, Brian ;)

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 2
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/26/2012 10:33:18 PM   
BigWolfChris

Personally, I think the core game should now be at a lower price full stop, same with the first expansion
This will encourage many more people to play the game

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to scharmers)
Post #: 3
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/27/2012 4:44:39 PM   
Veloxi

quote:

ORIGINAL: scharmers

I did. Veloxi was praising DW on a couple of boards, but the $90+ price tag turned EVERYONE off. Once the sale started, though, I can personally think of at least 5 or 6 people who picked it up, including myself. Matrix is overpriced (which is why I've only picked up Star shatter and CAW from them over the years) and hopefully the new purchases of DW at the lower price point makes them reconsider.

As for DW itself, good lord is this the last game my ADD needs. Thanks, Brian ;)

Always happy to spread the spacey game love, my friend. Enjoy!! :)

(in reply to scharmers)
Post #: 4
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/27/2012 5:14:35 PM   
Algoritm

quote:

Did you just buy Distant Worlds for the first time because of the 33% off sale?
Yes

And it was well worth it.

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 5
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/27/2012 6:41:37 PM   
warwon101

Just got it myself thanks to reddit, and people recommending the game on sale.

Beyond that Star Rule, Gal Civ 2, endless space 2, sword of the stars were all removed after playing for four hours of distant worlds.

Amazing

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 6
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/27/2012 8:57:36 PM   
WoodMan

Ahh, welcome new people! It is good to see new faces... well avatars popping up here in the forum

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to warwon101)
Post #: 7
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/27/2012 8:58:18 PM   
Panpiper

I bought it a couple of days 'before' the sale. Argh!

(in reply to warwon101)
Post #: 8
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 2:57:41 AM   
Anthropoid

Welcome new space cadets!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Panpiper)
Post #: 9
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 4:10:39 AM   
clifford1944

Looks like this Thursday I'll be getting it. The boxed edition. I'm hoping for a lot of planets to explore.

A little time on the Eastern Front will clear his head. General Burkhalter

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 10
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 4:20:49 AM   
omphaloskepsis

I did, but it was by accident. I just happened to read the glowing spacesector review a few days ago. I might have paid full price. Don't know for sure because I've never paid more than $60 for a game before, but I've been craving a good space strategy game.

If it's close to as good as that review, it's probably worth $90.

(in reply to clifford1944)
Post #: 11
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 5:05:38 AM   
bryanhbell

The Space Sector reviews were the major impetus for me purchasing the game as well.

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to omphaloskepsis)
Post #: 12
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 6:04:35 AM   
Warspite3

You all who just bought the game might want to go on youtube and checkout this guys videos, I think they are really well done. In fact just after I bought DW in the beginning I had a difficult time with it's learning curve until I watched a couple of these then it all made a lot more sense... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WNB5YqVCtE&feature=plcp

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 13
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 11:38:09 AM   
Robik

I did.

I waited for sale, becouse i could not justify silly high price + 20% VAT on top of it.

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 14
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 3:05:21 PM   
oogs

I bought it because of a "Let's Play" I saw, however the sale did make it easier. I don't know if I would have bought it at $90.

(in reply to Robik)
Post #: 15
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 3:20:13 PM   
Voknaar

I fell in love with the game after watching some gameplay on youtube. I've wanted Distant Worlds for a good month or two now. The sale is what stopped my cyber-lazyness and got me to go through with getting it done. But now it's time to go to lurker mode and read every forum thread. Because I've no idea of what I'm doing in this game...

(in reply to oogs)
Post #: 16
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 7:59:14 PM   
PhatFuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell
Did you just buy Distant Worlds for the first time because of the 33% off sale? If so, sound off here!

That I did---there was no way I was going to purchase all three games as a bundle for $90 where the main game is still priced the same as 2.5yrs ago when released. Sheesh! SMH Thankful to vigilant, friendly members of the "space-game" genre community--Veloxi et al, I would have missed out on this NEEDED sale. I sure hope Matrix hears this yet again that the positive response to this sale is huge. As niche as this may be, there's lots more of us out there fans of the 4x who are looking for reasonable pricing to great games. And so far, I love DW--the series.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome from the main DW forum community---you veterans rock! And to Matrix, THANK YOU for the sale! But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, seriously consider cancelling the sale and making the pricing for the complete DW series at the $60 mark permanent! I think you wont regret it.

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 17
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 9:35:39 PM   
CypherLH

The spacesector review and the 33% sale hooked me. And thank goodness, DW is by far and away the BEST space 4x game I have played, period. And I say this as a big MOO2 fan who still has MOO2 installed.

I am excited that the development is still so active. Does anyone know if more expansions are planned? Seems like there are still plenty of U/I enhancements and features that could be added. If this game had the tactical formations, visual ship customization with arcs of fire and shield facings, and tiled planetary surfaces similar to what the Stardrive beta is showing...I might fall into this game and never emerge ;)

Cypher

(in reply to PhatFuel)
Post #: 18
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/28/2012 9:48:13 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: CypherLH

The spacesector review and the 33% sale hooked me. And thank goodness, DW is by far and away the BEST space 4x game I have played, period. And I say this as a big MOO2 fan who still has MOO2 installed.

I am excited that the development is still so active. Does anyone know if more expansions are planned? Seems like there are still plenty of U/I enhancements and features that could be added. If this game had the tactical formations, visual ship customization with arcs of fire and shield facings, and tiled planetary surfaces similar to what the Stardrive beta is showing...I might fall into this game and never emerge ;)

A third expansion is due in the coming months, supposedly some news next month.

(in reply to CypherLH)
Post #: 19
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/30/2012 2:15:55 PM   
Isegrimm

I purchased it yesterday. And resistance is futile ... I'm addicted and assimilated in Legends. We are Legends.

< Message edited by Isegrimm -- 8/30/2012 3:09:39 PM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 20
RE: Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? - 8/30/2012 3:15:27 PM   
StarLab

Yup! Bought mine 2 hours ago... Oh... wait... no! That was 2 DAYS ago... No wonder I'm hungry! lol

This IS NOT a game... it's Time Manipulation Software!

Seriously though... I would have paid full price! No problem! The sale was just a case of good timing.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Isegrimm)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Did you buy DW during the 33% off sale? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI