Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at competitive prices?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at competitive prices? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/26/2012 5:01:20 PM   
bairdlander2

Battles In Normandy
Release Date: 15 SEP 2004 download for $52?How do they justify that?Was that the price 8 years ago?

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 31
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/27/2012 3:01:26 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

A good example is Paradox.Arsenal of Democracy is based on HOI2 an old title,but fully patched and developed by modders currently sells for $9.95.I paid $20 when it was released 3 years ago.Same thing with many of their other titles.Why cant Matrix do the same?

On the other hand it is hard to compete with Paradox policy, they have put Warlock on 50% sale a month after initial release. This is just killing smaller developers.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 32
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/27/2012 4:11:38 AM   
Jamm

I dug out my old Close combat A Bridge too Far about a month ago and got it up and running on my Win7 rig.

Now would I buy this for 40 or 50 bucks?
Ummm,... no..

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 33
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/27/2012 5:52:32 AM   
histgamer

To me it seems the topic is mis-named. The topic has shifted from Matrix releases games a prices that are not competitive to... Paradox releases games and NEVER lowers their prices even after the game is 10 years old!

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 34
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/27/2012 4:33:03 PM   
Silent Hunte

I think this would be a good idea - I'd be unable to get the games otherwise.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 35
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/27/2012 6:22:35 PM   
jaxpac

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

I think. How many times Matrix staff must have discussed price planning on their games. since their exsistence. Must be over 200 times. And they did'nt have to be motivated by a forum thread. This is Not a reprimand to the original poster. They just won't be discusing that in this forum.
But go at it! They do look at the General Discussions thread.

I would love to hear their reasoning if they have discussed the issue and determined they are better off keeping high prices. If they have a good reason for it I'm sure lots of people would understand.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 36
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/28/2012 2:23:51 AM   
Sarge

just so I have this straight,
we’re campaigning to matrix to be more like paradox ‘n steam ?

(in reply to jaxpac)
Post #: 37
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/28/2012 6:35:29 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

I have purchased probably 20 Paradox games over the last two years. I have purchased maybe 3-5 Matrix games in the same span.

Probably 2-3 of those Paradox games I would consider classics. Maybe 6-7 of them I would consider good. The rest were pretty forgettable.

But I paid probably 60% of what I paid for the Matrix games.

My point here is that if I see a Paradox game for $5-$10 during a Steam or Gamers Gate sale I often times say 'what the hell' and purchase it.
At that price it is worth a chance.

There are several older Matrix titles that I would love to play but I hold off on them because I am unsure about them and I don't want to dump $30-$50 into them and have them not be all that great.

Paradox's and other companies aggressive pricing model gets me to buy a whole lot more titles than I would otherwise buy.

I can understand both sides of this argument. Matrix is a small company with a revenue stream to protect. But at the same time I have to question some of the business decisions about pricing.

If it was me making the decision I would take 4-6 titles and put them on a deep discount say for 30 days and advertise it here on the forums and the main website. Then see how many sales they get compared to normal sales. Then calculate profits.

If it doesn't work then they will know it doesn't work. But if it does work, then they have discovered a new revenue stream.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 38
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/28/2012 9:35:07 AM   
histgamer

I think part of the consistency is due to revenue stream as you say. They probably don't make much on 1 really old title but when you add 5-10 titles in while small compared to new stuff its a reliable revenue stream. Start introducing deep discount sales and you may quickly sell through all your potential customer base for the games and perhaps more negatively while generating larger revenue for 3-4 months you kill long term revenue making your revenue stream less dependable.

Think of cash for clunkers. It sold tons of cars and got a lot of "junkers" off the road but cannibalized used car sales for months, if not a few years. Could matrix suffer similar losses as people buy a ton then stop buying and matrix struggles for several months to replace the lost reliable revenue stream? Without actually knowing matrix's finances I think this could be a genuine concern. I have to imagine a small company would find it easier to survive and plan with revenues of 10,000 per month as opposed to 50,000 one month and 2,000 for the next four months. The boom is great, the potential bust after the sale could be catastrophic to long term planning.

We're all saying what matrix should do but without actually looking at their finances I don't think its fair for people here to make such a conclusive statement when its not possible for anyone to really know what matrix is doing sales wise unless you're on the inside.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 39
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 12:43:10 AM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

quote:

I have purchased probably 20 Paradox games over the last two years. I have purchased maybe 3-5 Matrix games in the same span.

Probably 2-3 of those Paradox games I would consider classics. Maybe 6-7 of them I would consider good. The rest were pretty forgettable.

My point here is that if I see a Paradox game for $5-$10 during a Steam or Gamers Gate sale I often times say 'what the hell' and purchase it.

There are several older Matrix titles that I would love to play but I hold off on them because I am unsure about them and I don't want to dump $30-$50 into them and have them not be all that great.

Paradox's and other companies aggressive pricing model gets me to buy a whole lot more titles than I would otherwise buy.

I can understand both sides of this argument. Matrix is a small company with a revenue stream to protect. But at the same time I have to question some of the business decisions about pricing.

If it was me making the decision I would take 4-6 titles and put them on a deep discount say for 30 days and advertise it here on the forums and the main website. Then see how many sales they get compared to normal sales. Then calculate profits.

If it doesn't work then they will know it doesn't work. But if it does work, then they have discovered a new revenue stream.

I agree with the highlighted above, I'd go one better. There are just over 30 titles that are 5 years old or older, i'd put them up for 50% off for 30 days digital download only. test the waters and see how it works out, you could always not do it again if it doesn't work out.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 40
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 3:36:15 AM   
histgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

quote:

quote:

I agree with the highlighted above, I'd go one better. There are just over 30 titles that are 5 years old or older, i'd put them up for 50% off for 30 days digital download only. test the waters and see how it works out, you could always not do it again if it doesn't work out.

There are risks... see my above post. Especially to that huge an amount of titles.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 41
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 4:53:45 AM   
budd

^
I understand what your saying and your right, without knowing how many units their moving of the older stuff let say per month its all guess work. I wouldn't think their moving much at all of the their older titles at current prices but no way to know for sure. you may very well sell thru your established customer base with those sale items, but if their not moving anyway it's not a big deal. If you just keep it to DD sales if shouldn't add to the cost and hopefully the biggest benefit of a well advertised sale would be expanding your customer base and turning those new customers into established customers who would purchase other products in the future. Of course in this " i want everything dirt cheap world" people might just purchase the sale items and whine that evrything else is too expensive

But i do love a good sale

< Message edited by **budd** -- 8/29/2012 4:54:36 AM >

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 42
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 5:55:36 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I am an existing customer and part of the base and I am never going to buy any of that stuff at it's current price. I have every Matrix game I want. I only pay full price for games I am 90% or greater sure that I will love.

Games like UV, Steel Panthers Generals Edition, WitP AE and a handful of others.

If they marked some of those older titles down 66% I would be all over them. I might buy every single one they have on sale.

Maybe I made my post too long but my point is this.
Would Matrix rather sell to 3/100 customers at full price?
Or would they rather take a chance and over a game at a big discount and possible sell to 50/100 customers?

I guarantee that if they did a big sale on older items that they would sale more copies in a 30 day span than they have sold in the last 3-5 years depending on how old the title is.

I have read different companies forums about their Steam sales and my made up figures that I used are somewhat close to reality. They really do sell 15x-20x the number of units during a sale as opposed to whatever full price is.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 43
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 7:49:03 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Or would they rather take a chance and over a game at a big discount and possible sell to 50/100 customers?

I guarantee that if they did a big sale on older items that they would sale more copies in a 30 day span than they have sold in the last 3-5 years depending on how old the title is.

I have read different companies forums about their Steam sales and my made up figures that I used are somewhat close to reality. They really do sell 15x-20x the number of units during a sale as opposed to whatever full price is.

Even the answer to the first question depends on what the marginal profit on each sale actually is.

The sales numbers look reasonable enough, but you are not accounting for likely associated changes in revenue over the whole sales-life of the game. You say that there are many titles you would jump at on a 66% discount but not at full price, and that's probably true of most of us. So what happens is exactly what has already happened in my case regarding Paradox and others; I wait until the games ARE on that sort of discount. You know it will happen, the game will need patches in the meantime anyway, and there's plenty else to play in the meantime. If you are really patient, wait for the DLC cycle to end as well and get that slung in for next to nothing too.

In short, by putting stuff on big discounts, you create an expectation that sooner or later everything will be available for a big discount, and if prospective purchasers are basing decisions on the usual industry cycle that could be after a year or less. So when something like WitE or BftB comes out a few die-hards buy them; the rest take one look at what are exceptionally high prices compared with other video games (Bioware Collectors Editions apart!) and wait for the inevitable sale.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 8/29/2012 7:51:48 AM >

Post #: 44
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 8:04:46 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Even the answer to the first question depends on what the marginal profit on each sale actually is.

The sales numbers look reasonable enough, but you are not accounting for likely associated changes in revenue over the whole sales-life of the game. You say that there are many titles you would jump at on a 66% discount but not at full price, and that's probably true of most of us. So what happens is exactly what has already happened in my case regarding Paradox and others; I wait until the games ARE on that sort of discount. You know it will happen, the game will need patches in the meantime anyway, and there's plenty else to play in the meantime. If you are really patient, wait for the DLC cycle to end as well and get that slung in for next to nothing too.

In short, by putting stuff on big discounts, you create an expectation that sooner or later everything will be available for a big discount, and if prospective purchasers are basing decisions on the usual industry cycle that could be after a year or less. So when something like WitE or BftB comes out a few die-hards buy them; the rest take one look at what are exceptionally high prices compared with other video games (Bioware Collectors Editions apart!) and wait for the inevitable sale.

Good points

It will be interesting to see if the video game industry can sustain the current economic model that digital downloads and super competitive pricing brings.

I am like you. I wait for about 95% of my games to go on sale before purchase. But at the same time, I buy more games now than ever simply because they are on sale.
I buy games for cheap I would never ever buy if they were higher price.

I was looking at my Steam account the other day and my buying looked like this.

2005 - 1
2006 - 3
2007 - 4
2008 - 3
2009 (first year of Christmas sale IIRC) - 13
2010 - 38
2011 - 44
2012 to date - 21

As I said before. The AAA games get my top dollar since I simply can't wait for a sale. But the less than AAA games I buy now for the 'what the hell' factor. If it is cheap then I buy it on the chance I may like it.
They are duds often but I also find some real gems like Mount and Blade, Borderlands and the X series.

I have also bought some games twice. I bought Grand Theft Auto 4 (AAA game) on the day of it's release then about 3 years later I purchased it and the expansions on PC when it was on sale. The enhanced graphics and graphics mods were worth the few dollars I paid for it.

This is a very interesting discussion :)

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 45
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 6:51:18 PM   
bairdlander2

quote:

If a title is 5-10 years old with outdated graphics why should we pay $40-50 for something that should be $10?Always peopleuse the analogy of cars.Would you pay 2012 prices for a 2004 model?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 46
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 9:00:24 PM   
jaxpac

Interesting discussion about which model is more profitable in terms of selling more at a discount vs. less at full price. Hard to know without Matrix weighing in on the issue, but I doubt they are getting any consistent sales from 10 year old games that still sell for $50-$70. I would be honestly surprised if they sold more than 10 copies a year of most of these titles. All the hardcore fans of those specific titles have already bought the game. And in this thread we see hardcore strategy game fans not willing to spend so much for old titles. So who is buying these titles? I can't imagine they are generating any significant amount of sales. And each day that goes by without proper pricing they are just throwing money away.

Also, even if it wasn't going to bring in much new revenue, there are still good reasons to price games at market value. For one it could bring in new fans to the genre and make it more accessible for new fans who might go on to support the company and create a bigger market for new games.

Post #: 47
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/29/2012 9:20:27 PM   
ezzler

Great Invasions The Dark Ages 350-1066 - £2 online {matrix $20.99 AUS}
Hired Guns - £3.60 {Aus $41}
Birth of America 2 -£2.99 {Matrix - Aus $20.99}
Just for interest £2.99 GBP = 4.57 AUD

And many more. I got Battle of Britain II for £5. {haven't even opened it after almost 6 months. It was an impulse buy from the bargain bin.More fool me. I already owned it the first time round. ..But the power of the 3 for 2 - 50% - bogoff - special discount...}

There really isn't much point hanging on these sorts of oldies at these prices. They are available on that female warrior named shopping website, boxed, postage free, in many cases.

There is no need for matrix to start knocking out its new lines cheaply. It doesn't suffer from the mainstream disease whereby a game HAS to go on sale 3-4 weeks after release as so many units end up in the second hand stores/ebay that they must pricemach or watch the sales drop.

But hanging onto these golden oldies at almost full retail opening day price?
Really ?

Post #: 48
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/30/2012 1:25:56 AM   
Sarge

quote:

quote:

If a title is 5-10 years old with outdated graphics why should we pay $40-50 for something that should be $10?Always peopleuse the analogy of cars.Would you pay 2012 prices for a 2004 model?

What if I told you I picked this 68 up this spring for a lot more than a new 2012 charger would cost ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sarge -- 8/30/2012 1:28:02 AM >

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 49
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/30/2012 1:28:21 PM   
bairdlander2

would say you are a fool for comparing an antique classic car to a videogame.Are you saying the outdated old games are antiques/collectibles and should cost more?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 50
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/30/2012 8:44:29 PM   
Hertston

quote:

would say you are a fool for comparing an antique classic car to a videogame.Are you saying the outdated old games are antiques/collectibles and should cost more?

So, why did Sarge buy that car? I'm guessing, of course, but I reckon it wasn't just to keep in the garage to stare at? It certainly wasn't to save money on gas. Nope, I'm guessing because that particular hunk of automotive muscle delivers a combination of raw power, the right noises and sheer driving pleasure the '2012 model', for all it's suitably advanced aerodynamics, reduced running costs and fancy onboard gadgetry simply can't match. No doubt you even have to put a real key in the lock and turn it to get into that thing. Seriously primitive or what? Should knock at least 50% of the price

Post #: 51
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/30/2012 11:33:32 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/04/13/game.sells.for.thousands/index.html

While reading a story on this site about rare video games, Tanner Sandlin of Austin, Texas, recognized one of the games -- Air Raid for the Atari 2600. He found the thirteenth known copy of the game in his garage and put it on eBay.

It sold last Sunday for $31,600, the second-highest price ever paid for a video game.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/20/mf.rich.off.video.games/index.html

. Stadium Events (Nintendo Entertainment System)
Price Range: $13,000 -- $41,300; $10,000 for the box alone

2. 1990 Nintendo World Championships (NES)
Price Range: Gray: $4,000 -- $6,100; Gold: $15,000 -- $21,000 to name 2.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 8/30/2012 11:39:04 PM >

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

Post #: 52
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 1:01:36 AM   
Sarge

quote:

quote:

The only thing “foolish” in my post is I directed them to some adolescent that can’t even grasp his own “analogy”………..8)

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 53
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 1:55:57 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/04/13/game.sells.for.thousands/index.html

While reading a story on this site about rare video games, Tanner Sandlin of Austin, Texas, recognized one of the games -- Air Raid for the Atari 2600. He found the thirteenth known copy of the game in his garage and put it on eBay.

It sold last Sunday for $31,600, the second-highest price ever paid for a video game.

Hardly the same as what's here,these are digital dowloads not "rare" cartridges.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 54
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 1:58:49 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

quote:

quote:

The only thing “foolish” in my post is I directed them to some adolescent that can’t even grasp his own “analogy”………..8)

Thanks for showing me the error of my ways,I have now purchased all outdated Matrix titles and paid full price for them,Im sure they will be worth a lot of money someday,thanks againI will never forget your words of wisdom,you have taught me so much

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 55
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 2:11:11 AM   
junk2drive

August 1970 I started working at a Chrysler dealership. In the basement were two new 1970 Plymouth Superbirds. Your choice, $4995. No one could afford the insurance.

Post #: 56
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 3:15:13 AM   
Perturabo

Digital downloads aren't collectibles. Full boxed versions of ancient games are. The price of these old games come from the fact that they are very rare (ultra-rare classics like Autoduel, Wasteland, Ultima VII and Fallout in full box often reach prices around 100$). If someone finds a stash of tens of old games, they usually go on ebay for some 5-10$, even if they would normally cost 20-30$.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 57
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 12:49:54 PM   
Sarge

quote:

Thanks for showing me the error of my ways,I have now purchased all outdated Matrix titles and paid full price for them,Im sure they will be worth a lot of money someday,thanks againI will never forget your words of wisdom,you have taught me so much

Fist your making price comparisons on new vs old model auto’s, now its moved on to “collectables” I’m starting to wonder if you are even old enough to drive, let alone accually have a job ……….good luck with your quest for $5 matrix titles.

only question left is why the hell are you even here if everything they sell is outdated and overpriced ?

Post #: 58
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 2:54:10 PM   
doomtrader

Actually if we compare the price to the time spent with the game, then even 8 hours 50 USD AAA titles are still pretty cheap.
On the other hand there is probably like 50 games released every year we would like to play. Due to the clock and wallet limitations we have to choose.
There are three main factors:
gameplay and temptation versus the price

Gameplay and temptation are usually going down with the time, so if the price is not following them, then the game drops to the bottom of the list, and unfortunately there is always something new every year.
Even Matrix has got over 400 products in the catalog at the moment, so this is more than 30 games a year.
On the other hand as long as Matrix' Games are sold only in the Matrix store, there is only a very very small chance that someone out of the wargamers crowd would like to pick up the game.

What I would do if I would be Matrix?
I would ask the community to apply for buying the game (a kind of kickstarter), for X USD, but only if X number of customers will apply too. So for example, this game will be sold for 9,99 if 1000 declare that they will buy it.
Then it might be the win-win situation.

But, will there be so many customers?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 59
RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at c... - 8/31/2012 3:54:42 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Hardly the same as what's here,these are digital dowloads not "rare" cartridges.

You said, "old and outdated games." You were wrong.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Has Matrix ever considered releasing old games at competitive prices? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI