Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So its already September...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> So its already September... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So its already September... - 9/1/2012 5:55:21 AM   
towerbooks3192

Will announcements about the upcoming expansion come anytime soon?
Post #: 1
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 9:16:53 AM   
FlashXAron_slith

... I really would like an expansion with:

1.) Battle formations for fleets ... you have an own screen, where you could place your ships ... how many ships you could use depends on the generals skills (maybe own skill)
2.) LANDBATTLES, also with formations and different unit types

Nore interactions with generals :-)

Thanks

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 2
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 9:21:46 AM   
HectorOfTroy

We have been asking for fleet formations for a while ....

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 10:35:57 AM   
Sithuk

I'd settle for improvements in the user interface to remove the insane micromanagement with troops. Setting minimum numbers of troops per planet, or even having a policy section for troop levels by planet population as per spaceport construction policy.

Troop management improvements are needed before even thinking about anything fancy with formations which would require further AI code re-writes.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 4
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 3:26:28 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashXAron

... I really would like an expansion with:

1.) Battle formations for fleets ... you have an own screen, where you could place your ships ... how many ships you could use depends on the generals skills (maybe own skill)
2.) LANDBATTLES, also with formations and different unit types

Nore interactions with generals :-)

Thanks

+1

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 3:36:04 PM   
szabferi

Well... I tend to agree with Sithuk regarding troop handling. Even just minor UI things could improve a lot the troop handling part (I raised a topic on actual bugs in the bug report forum), so land battles something which could be considered after it .

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 6
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 5:10:56 PM   
Blueberry

Guys.... ui improvements are great and all but what I really want is a much more competitive AI. Right now it's just too easy. Better diplomacy, smarter opponents, more diplomatic options to play with... More flexibility that is.... Troop management is great... Feels like a patch though.... Not an expansion...

(in reply to szabferi)
Post #: 7
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 6:12:17 PM   
BTJ

I agree. I am also not in the boat with fleet formations etc. This is a game of "grand strategy". Fleet formations do not add to this game, IMHO.

Regarding the patch or expansion question: 1. Better AI, 2. reworked resource balance, 3. reworked money balance in mid- and late game are now the main remaining "big" issues with this game. I would like to see them done in a patch, but I guess we have to buy the expansion. And even then I have my doubts that these points will be addressed. They have been discussed to death in endless threads here, but have received no feedback from the dev/MG.

Anyway, I'm in! I will buy the expansion. I am not rational about DW, it is by far too great...

< Message edited by BTJ -- 9/2/2012 6:13:14 PM >

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 8
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 8:16:24 PM   
benjiro

From my first impressions of the game:

* Troop Handling.

* More "go to event" ability is needed

* When something can not be build, do not show the icon ( like Research station that do not get a bonus at x location = no build = no reason to show icon ). Or wonder? build icon that are empty, with no "return" icon to go back.

* A lack of ability to focus on key battles. If the AI advices a raid against a Pirate or whatever base, it will be nice to see a followup: "Battle xx starting, go to event?". Too many battles end up, when your focused on other spots, and you "miss" the battle.

* Interface to darn frustrating ( you lose a lot of time doing basic things ). Why can you not say: Get the closest ship of x, do x task here. Its frustrating that you always need to find a ship, select it, go back to the source, and then give the command. Or find the ship in the interface ( left one ), with 100's of ships when you do not know where that ship you selected really is. How about query tasks? Ships in the area do x, y, z in this location.

Last game, i noticed 35 or 40 construction ships, flying across the map, to go repair a battleground of ships, to run out of fuel 1/10 of the way. In other words, almost all my construction ships ended up being send by the AI. And as i was too busy dealing with combat, by the time i noticed this ( big map, they where already out of my view sector ), there was no point bringing them back ( and icing on the cake, the battleground had a pirate ship hitting the arriving construction ships = Even if they arrived ... ).

The automation on some points is bad, but turning it off, results in you needed to query every job, with a interface that is not designed for "ease".

I hope that the next expansion solves plenty of those points.

(in reply to BTJ)
Post #: 9
RE: So its already September... - 9/2/2012 9:38:09 PM   
Panpiper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

I'd settle for improvements in the user interface to remove the insane micromanagement with troops. Setting minimum numbers of troops per planet, or even having a policy section for troop levels by planet population as per spaceport construction policy.

I could not more heartily agree. I just resigned a game in disgust, sheer frustration, due to the situation with troops. I can either micromanage the construction of troops manually for hundreds of colonies, which is an insane quantity of tedium, or I can let the automation bankrupt me by overbuilding absolute ****loads of troops on planets that already have FAR more troops than they could ever possibly need.

The troop maintenance budget in that latest game was literally twice that of my ships and my budget was in deficit, I was loosing money every turn. When I looked at various colonies, it was apparent that even though they already had hordes of troops, a virtually equal number of MORE hordes were being built, so I could be certain that my budget deficit would grow to gargantuan proportions.

I think I am done with this game until this nonsense is dealt with.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 10
RE: So its already September... - 9/3/2012 9:22:47 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Will announcements about the upcoming expansion come anytime soon?

I guess, that they will tell after the sale, so no earlier than 5. September.

Post #: 11
RE: So its already September... - 9/3/2012 9:26:48 PM   
ASHBERY76

This is Erik we are talking about.Saying expansion news in september does not actually mean september.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 12
RE: So its already September... - 9/3/2012 10:15:01 PM   
WoodMan

He is usually good to his word actually. But it often won't be the main announcement, we will get just a little tiny teaser of info

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 13
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 2:03:59 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTJ

I agree. I am also not in the boat with fleet formations etc. This is a game of "grand strategy". Fleet formations do not add to this game, IMHO.

Regarding the patch or expansion question: 1. Better AI, 2. reworked resource balance, 3. reworked money balance in mid- and late game are now the main remaining "big" issues with this game. I would like to see them done in a patch, but I guess we have to buy the expansion. And even then I have my doubts that these points will be addressed. They have been discussed to death in endless threads here, but have received no feedback from the dev/MG.

Anyway, I'm in! I will buy the expansion. I am not rational about DW, it is by far too great...

Agreed that and player distances from each other!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 9/4/2012 2:04:28 AM >

(in reply to BTJ)
Post #: 14
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 11:47:18 AM   
towerbooks3192

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

He is usually good to his word actually. But it often won't be the main announcement, we will get just a little tiny teaser of info

I hope he will give an announcement anytime soon because I am holding off my budget in case an expansion will come out. I have a lot of things to look forward to in the coming months and I have been tempted by stuff on the matrix store (I have my eyes on you panzer corp and afrika korp). I will be happy once he announces the estimated release date of an expansion.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 15
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 2:15:44 PM   
WoodMan

Hey towerbooks,

This isn't official as obviously he hasn't said anything yet, but judging purely on past behaviour (RoTS & Legends) it will be out at Thanksgiving, to coincide with the Thanksgiving sale. They were also announced around the same time (Septemberish).

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 9/4/2012 2:16:10 PM >

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Post #: 16
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 2:30:41 PM   
towerbooks3192

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Hey towerbooks,

This isn't official as obviously he hasn't said anything yet, but judging purely on past behaviour (RoTS & Legends) it will be out at Thanksgiving, to coincide with the Thanksgiving sale. They were also announced around the same time (Septemberish).

Thanksgiving is when?..... Sorry I live in Australia so I don't have a clue when thanksgiving is. Anyway if its a couple of months away then I guess I could use my funds for now on my other games and use the money I will get on the nearest pay day to thanksgiving.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 17
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 2:53:15 PM   
Cauldyth

American Thanksgiving is Nov 22nd this year.

Post #: 18
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 3:05:06 PM   
Bleek

I had to google thanksgiving, obviously I've heard of it but I didn't have a clue when or what it was!

But then I'm not American or religious.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 19
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 5:39:38 PM   
WoodMan

Hehe, thanksgiving is not a religious holiday!... At least I think. Its originally to remember the help of Native Americans or something. I'm not American either, but due to shows such as South Park, the Simpsons and everything else on the TV I knew roughly what Thanksgiving was

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 20
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 6:02:51 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

In this case Thanksigiving IS religious, but in the USA the Native Americans have something to do with it...

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 21
RE: So its already September... - 9/4/2012 6:05:36 PM   
Cauldyth

In Canada, we also have Thanksgiving, though it falls in October instead of November and has completely different origins. It's basically a fall harvest celebration, to give thanks for the crops that will feed people through the winter.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 22
RE: So its already September... - 9/5/2012 3:49:10 AM   
JosEPhII

Once upon a time in an age long ago Thanksgiving was a Religious Holiday in the US of A. The Pilgrims came to America for Religious freedom of worship. The Native Americans helped save several of the new colonies from starvation by sharing what the land could produce.

Now it's mostly overeating, watching football, and overeating again. Now if Dallas and Detroit are not shown on Thanksgiving "That" is sacrilege.

But it's still one of the Last Family Holidays left in this country. And "was" the only 4 day weekend Holiday. Now Big Business has destroyed that too, gotta be back at work on Friday and probably Saturday too.

Long live Thanksgiving!

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 23
RE: So its already September... - 9/5/2012 3:51:51 PM   
jpinard

quote:

ORIGINAL: benjiro

From my first impressions of the game:

* Troop Handling.

* More "go to event" ability is needed

* When something can not be build, do not show the icon ( like Research station that do not get a bonus at x location = no build = no reason to show icon ). Or wonder? build icon that are empty, with no "return" icon to go back.

* A lack of ability to focus on key battles. If the AI advices a raid against a Pirate or whatever base, it will be nice to see a followup: "Battle xx starting, go to event?". Too many battles end up, when your focused on other spots, and you "miss" the battle.

* Interface to darn frustrating ( you lose a lot of time doing basic things ). Why can you not say: Get the closest ship of x, do x task here. Its frustrating that you always need to find a ship, select it, go back to the source, and then give the command. Or find the ship in the interface ( left one ), with 100's of ships when you do not know where that ship you selected really is. How about query tasks? Ships in the area do x, y, z in this location.

Last game, i noticed 35 or 40 construction ships, flying across the map, to go repair a battleground of ships, to run out of fuel 1/10 of the way. In other words, almost all my construction ships ended up being send by the AI. And as i was too busy dealing with combat, by the time i noticed this ( big map, they where already out of my view sector ), there was no point bringing them back ( and icing on the cake, the battleground had a pirate ship hitting the arriving construction ships = Even if they arrived ... ).

The automation on some points is bad, but turning it off, results in you needed to query every job, with a interface that is not designed for "ease".

I hope that the next expansion solves plenty of those points.

Good points, my biggest hope is that the AI is improved.

(in reply to benjiro)
Post #: 24
RE: So its already September... - 9/5/2012 4:25:42 PM   
Bingeling

Troop management needs some love. Specify a minimum troop level on colonies that any automated ship will never send the planet below. This would make my "automate empty transports" safe, without risking the capital or the front line core colony from becoming void of garrison.

Better AI never hurts...

I would love new, nasty, game setup options. The hardest thing in the game is starting it. Think about advanced options with randomized elements like random antagonist empires starting with way of darkness, 50% more colonies, and a ultra rare source on a colony. When the player asks for it, of course... It could give some meaning to difficulty beyond credit balance.

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 25
RE: So its already September... - 9/6/2012 1:09:55 AM   
jpinard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Troop management needs some love. Specify a minimum troop level on colonies that any automated ship will never send the planet below. This would make my "automate empty transports" safe, without risking the capital or the front line core colony from becoming void of garrison.

Better AI never hurts...

I would love new, nasty, game setup options. The hardest thing in the game is starting it. Think about advanced options with randomized elements like random antagonist empires starting with way of darkness, 50% more colonies, and a ultra rare source on a colony. When the player asks for it, of course... It could give some meaning to difficulty beyond credit balance.

I've never run into a resource crunch yet, so the option to tailor that would be very fun.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 26
RE: So its already September... - 9/6/2012 9:47:14 PM   
feelotraveller

A lot of people would like to see scarcer resources.  Unfortunately it messes with the galactic economy.  Originally Legends reduced resource availability somewhat, I suspect it was a failed experiment.  I think to pare back the resources the whole galactic economy would need to be reworked, and that's quite an undertaking.

What I would like to see are ultra-rare strategic resources.  They should be very difficult to get, maybe as infrequent as the ultra-rare luxuries but with extraction rates between 1% and 9% only, or maybe they can only be gained from pirates, or silver mist residue or something.  They would either be used in manufacturing top end components or add some sort of bonus.  Adamantium armour, anyone. 

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 27
RE: So its already September... - 9/6/2012 9:59:35 PM   
Bingeling

I started a random game yesterday, and already had a short lived resource crunch. No carbon fiber or polymer stalled ship construction for a while.

As usual the AI has no clue about what it is going to do. Researching two different main weapon paths makes little sense as long as you are only going to use one of them...

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 28
RE: So its already September... - 9/7/2012 3:28:23 PM   
Hawawaa

Want to know moar!
youtube.com/watch?v=IZuKMo9u8CM

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 29
RE: So its already September... - 9/7/2012 4:25:51 PM   
Bleek

So anyway. It's September already...

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> So its already September... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI