Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bio on a person with mental health issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bio on a person with mental health issues Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 10:12:43 PM   
ny59giants

This fall I'm take a graduate level course in "Psychopathology" as one of the three remaining courses I need to get me up to 60 credit hours for eligibility to obtain my LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) for work next Spring. One of the assignments is to read a biography on a person with a possible mental illness that I can diagnosis using the DSM-IV and then get into the diagnosis and treatment of it afterwards (not necessarily for this particular person). The first person that came to mind was MacArthur, but is there any other famous military person and the name of a book that you would recommend??

Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 10:35:36 PM   
tocaff

Montgomery would be interesting. I'm sure that a Google search or Amazon will turn up many books on whomever you choose.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 10:47:14 PM   
Lcp Purcell

While most Great Generals have a touch of Crazy, MacArthur was a Great Crazy with a touch of leadership....

who made quit the career of hanging the Marines out to dry, then letting the Marines bail him out. Then taking credit for it.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 10:50:06 PM   
JeffroK

Patton would rate as well, Blucher thought he was pregnant to a French Guardsman etc etc etc.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Lcp Purcell)
Post #: 4
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 10:56:28 PM   
jetjockey

Napoleon Bonaparte. Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.

< Message edited by jetjockey -- 9/1/2012 10:58:26 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 11:10:58 PM   
goatan

Orde wingate would probably be a good one. But you could probably pick just about any succesful soldier and find something. Daniel sickles might be interesting as well because he used temporary insanity as a succesful defence for murder.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 6
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 11:18:03 PM   
goatan

another good posibility would be Hugh Dowding, later in life he would see and speak to the ghosts of pilots who died under his command.

(in reply to goatan)
Post #: 7
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 11:18:28 PM   
jmalter

while examples of crazed generals aren't out-of-the-way, they tend towards megalomania, or high-self-importance combined w/ guilt. but a bio of a higher-ranked officer will be 'pre-filtered' by the biographer.

many line soldiers have published memoirs that describe their psychological symptoms. Wm. Manchester's 'Goodbye, Darkness' was particularly chilling, Robert Leckie's 'Helmet for my Pillow', Eugene Sledge's 'With the Old Breed' - these books describe combat-fatigue / battle-stress symptoms directly.

there's no lack of literature on the subject, but IMO the first-person accounts would give you better material for analysis.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 8
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/1/2012 11:44:57 PM   
Lcp Purcell

Yes but MacArthur's legacy is so fraudulent.

He married an heiress, getting him in bed with the Randolf Hearst crowd, so he always got good press.

He attacked the Bonus Army in the Mall of Washington DC ( the WWI vets who were still waiting and demanding their enlistment bonus in 1929)

He Got the Medal of Honor for running away from the Philippines

He wanted to start a Nuclear war in Kora.

He tried to court Marshal the Commanding Marine General for only advancing 30 miles a day.

And then when 200,000 screaming Chines came over the boarder only the Marines single Division was in any type of combat order, and MacArthur bravely ran away again.

Patton well he slapped someone, big deal.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 9
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 12:31:03 AM   
Justus2

Going back to Civil War era, Stonewall Jackson certainly had his idiosyncracies, not sure if they were ever diagnosed. Sherman, on the other hand, was labeled as crazy in the beginning of the war, for daring to suggest the Union would need 200,000 Soldiers. I don't remember if he was actually hospitalized or just placed on leave, but it was described as some type of breakdown. (of course, events later proved his estimates on the low side...)

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

Post #: 10
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 12:32:13 AM   
Lcp Purcell

And oh after Patton slapped a guy with PTSD (wrong but old school) he was thoroughly degraded, something a megalomaniac would walk away from, then he was given a fake command of a fake army another thing a megalomaniac would walk away from. And he did it so well the Germans defended the wrong beach for the whole summer. Saving God knows how many thousands of lives at the price of Patton's ego.

Patton is the greatest US Army General ever... and about that whole 'lets invade Russia thing' but for for National war fatigue, and the dubious nature of starting wars; strategically and tactically he was right

< Message edited by Lcp Purcell -- 9/2/2012 12:36:10 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 12:54:53 AM   
Lcp Purcell

But Sherman's march to the sea insured the division between Americans would last another hundred years.

Post #: 12
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 1:32:28 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Do a search and read the complete Matrix forums works of Japan/Helmut/Linda/etc

Post #: 13
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 5:07:34 AM   
CyrusSpitama

I very recently finished reading, Hero:The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia. He clearly had some issues while being a stellar leader.

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 14
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 7:49:56 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justus2

Going back to Civil War era, Stonewall Jackson certainly had his idiosyncracies, not sure if they were ever diagnosed. Sherman, on the other hand, was labeled as crazy in the beginning of the war, for daring to suggest the Union would need 200,000 Soldiers. I don't remember if he was actually hospitalized or just placed on leave, but it was described as some type of breakdown. (of course, events later proved his estimates on the low side...)

I was going to suggest General Thomas Jonathan Jackson as well... recommend the biography by Lt Col Henderson.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 15
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 9:21:15 AM   
Biggus63

Monty was indeed a rather murky personality. I've always got the impression that he was incredibly insecure and desperate for recognition. I understand that he spend some of his formative years at school down in Tasmania, and if his later personality was anything to go by he will not have been a popular student, doubly so it being in Australia where we are not all that keen on people that think they're somehow inherently superior. I doubt that he was actively bullied but would almost certainly have been ostracised and considered a 'dickhead' or a 'wanker' in Aussie speak. There was some incident in his earlier years in the army (the exact specifics of which escape me atm) which had overtones of bullying and a certain nasty sadism (can't really remember but I think he set another cadet on fire as a 'joke'). This incident may have been another instance of him trying to 'fit in' but typically going too far. When he took command in North Africa he immediately attempted to transform himself from a regulation spit and polish British officer into an 'Old Desert Hand' by donning an Aussie slouch hat and adorning it with insignia and badges that he had no right to wear. I imagine the troops thought it ridiculous but were prepared to ignore it as long as the 8th Army kept winning. He never seemed able to understand how his utterances would be heard by others, and had an unshakeable belief in his own genius, when to any disinterested observer his concepts were pedestrian. I've always felt his delusional belief in his (and only his) abilities was an overcompensation for the fact that throughout his life he felt rejected as a human being (and little wonder, he really was a ****). I think the outward Monty was that facade that he built up to hide this unfortunate piece of self knowledge from his daily conciousness.......but then I'm not a psychologist, I just feel that I've met that character type before many times in the real world.

< Message edited by Biggus63 -- 9/2/2012 9:49:40 AM >

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 16
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 10:13:23 AM   
Empire101

Caligula.

There has been much debate about this unusual man's state of mind, and plenty written.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Biggus63)
Post #: 17
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 11:59:29 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 18
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 1:27:38 PM   
oldman45

Biggus63 that had to be the best description of have seen of Monty ever. I would suggest you write about him.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 19
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 2:29:22 PM   
Canoerebel

My first thought: Steve Spurier.

(Since NYGiants lives in the South, he'll know why Spurrier readily comes to mind.)

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 20
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 2:46:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Biggus63 that had to be the best description of have seen of Monty ever. I would suggest you write about him.
Warspite1

quote:

And little wonder, he really was a ****

quote:

Dickhead, wanker

Yeah, really great

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 21
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 3:50:02 PM   
Biggus63

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Warspite1

quote:

And little wonder, he really was a ****

quote:

Dickhead, wanker

Yeah, really great

Not words I use commonly Warspite1, but words commonly used in Australia, and as I made apparent that is how he would have been perceived by the average Australian. Even Monty's most ardent admirers concede that he wasn't a particularly nice fellow, and your own officer caste saw him to be 'something less than a gentleman' as well. Why you would use my quoting of words that may or may not have been used in connection with him by working class Australians over 50 years ago to have a snide dig at me is your own business.

Of course.....he might have been completely normal until he had to grow up in Tasmania, what with all the intermarriage and them having two heads and all......(comedic licence...no hate mail please)

Oh, and as for the word the forum censored out it was p r i c k, a word I've heard used by the English commonly.

Cheers Warspite1, have a good day.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 4:00:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Can it be an autobiography? How about a personality disorder?

I would suggest "Dreams of.."...heck, I can't remember the whole title. I'll get back to you.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/2/2012 4:03:21 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 23
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 4:50:43 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus63

Even Monty's most ardent admirers concede that he wasn't a particularly nice fellow, and your own officer caste saw him to be 'something less than a gentleman' as well. Why you would use my quoting of words that may or may not have been used in connection with him by working class Australians over 50 years ago to have a snide dig at me is your own business.

Of course.....he might have been completely normal until he had to grow up in Tasmania, what with all the intermarriage and them having two heads and all......(comedic licence...no hate mail please)

Oh, and as for the word the forum censored out it was p r i c k, a word I've heard used by the English commonly.

I'm with Warspite on this one. I'm no fan of Monty, he was a deeply flawed man ( just like the all the rest of us ), but there really is no need to use those sort of words. Warspite is certainly not having some sort of snide dig.

If I was to go on a Russian website, ( or this one...it does'nt really matter where ), and call Stalin a ****, I would expect to be banned for being abusive and/or inflammatory.

Let us all try to conduct ourselves in the spirit of this forum, and if language from the gutter has to be employed to make a point then the *£!%$^ symbols are more than adequate.

And just to confirm my working class credentials, D******d, W****r & P***k are all in common use in England as we speak, and not from 50 years ago.

Cheers Biggus63, have a good day.

but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Biggus63)
Post #: 24
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 5:36:51 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Although the psychological condition might apply ny59giants is searching for the biography of any other
quote:

famous military person
except MacArthur.

I very much doubt that a random sad excuse for an internet troll qualifies for this, funny as he might be...

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 25
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 5:38:25 PM   
Biggus63

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire101

quote:

Even Monty's most ardent admirers concede that he wasn't a particularly nice fellow, and your own officer caste saw him to be 'something less than a gentleman' as well. Why you would use my quoting of words that may or may not have been used in connection with him by working class Australians over 50 years ago to have a snide dig at me is your own business.

I'm with Warspite on this one. I'm no fan of Monty, he was a deeply flawed man ( just like the all the rest of us ), but there really is no need to use those sort of words. Warspite is certainly not having some sort of snide dig.

If I was to go on a Russian website, ( or this one...it does'nt really matter where ), and call Stalin a ****, I would expect to be banned for being abusive and/or inflammatory.

Let us all try to conduct ourselves in the spirit of this forum, and if language from the gutter has to be employed to make a point then the *£!%$^ symbols are more than adequate.

And just to confirm my working class credentials, D******d, W****r & P***k are all in common use in England as we speak, and not from 50 years ago.

Cheers Biggus63, have a good day.

I'm sorry that you and Warspite1 are offended by my musings, for that is all they are, as to how Monty might have been perceived, and what forces may have been at play to create his singularly unusual personality. Plainly my robust language has caused at least two people offence, and that's two people more than I intended to offend.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 26
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 6:13:21 PM   
WO Katsuki

Stalin? well he had a long comfortable life in the kremlin

... while 30 or so million russians died protecting packs of ice and snow, or laboring as slaves in farms and factories

Cheney? well he had five deferments from vietnam, and even got away with shooting someone in a "hunting accident"

... while a lot of other people were chasing each other around the jungle, or get the elecrtic chair for said crimes

but keep calling these guys ill.. it's called intra-specific competition

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 27
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 6:34:21 PM   
GI Jive

In a slightly different vein, you might consider writing about Audie Murphy, who experienced what is now called PTSD (during his life it was referred to as "battle fatigue" and later as "Post Vietnam Syndrome"). In your career you are likely to encounter many patients with PTSD symptoms from combat and other causes. His autobiography "To Hell and Back" contains extensive details of his war experiences, but not his post war problems. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/audielmu.htm

(in reply to Biggus63)
Post #: 28
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 6:48:22 PM   
Empire101

quote:

I'm sorry that you and Warspite1 are offended by my musings, for that is all they are, as to how Monty might have been perceived, and what forces may have been at play to create his singularly unusual personality. Plainly my robust language has caused at least two people offence, and that's two people more than I intended to offend.

Not offended, and there is nothing wrong with robust language when it is required.

On a lighter note, your post did make me smile.....I know where you were coming from....

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Biggus63)
Post #: 29
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 9:28:07 PM   
jeffk3510

I have always tought Sherman or Stonewall Jackson would be interesting studies. Especially Stonewall. He seemed like a rather odd duck.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bio on a person with mental health issues Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI