Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Idaho defends the Motherland

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Idaho defends the Motherland Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/16/2012 4:10:12 AM   
IdahoNYer

South of Orel, the Germans are on the move again. Not waiting to redeploy after digesting the Orel Pocket, both Army Group Center and South attack to encircle the majority of the 6th and 5th Armies of the Southwestern Front.

Didn't expect a pincer - should have - but thought the panzer concentration near Kursk was going to head SE toward Stalino. Instead, it swung north after breaking through, linking up with Guderian's panzers which broke through the 32nd Army.

Most of my defenses near Orel were geared to prevent a drive toward Tula, not Voronezh.

The result - about 20 or so divisions of the 5th and 6th Armies encircled. During the Soviet turn, we attempt to repair some of the damage.

Voronezh is "adequately" defended by the 37th Army along the Don River - and all but the HI has been pulled out. Good thing it was there, if not - the Germans would have waltzed right in.

50th Army, largely lost in the Orel Pocket, is rebuilt with STAVKA units and thrown back into the line. 30th and 51st Armies are stood up, also with STAVKA units from primarily areas in the Ukraine - although some Moscow area units were sent to the 30th Army. All three of these armies are fully capable of defense, backed by 150-200 guns in the Army HQs. The wonders of the Soviet "quantity has a quality all its own".

I'm able to establish a strickly temporary corridor to the Voronezh Pocket - won't last of course - and I really don't want to take forces from the Center to attempt and break the units out. The Germans will re-establish the pocket next turn, barring an early appearance by General Mud.

No activity south of this adventure - Germans have apparently given up trying to break into the Crimea, and so far are content to advance to the Southern Front's line screening the Donet's Basin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 121
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/17/2012 4:35:26 AM   
Fishbed

hehe, the benefit of our hindsight couldn't be shared with you of course, but I have to say Scar is making up well for his former mistakes (then again the mistakes were cool and welcome, it makes the whole game much more interesting to watch, not like some generic clockwork stuff).

Although I quite understand your need to fall back everytime to avoid big losses, are you sure you're actually battling his units everywhere you can? Honestly, considering most of these divisions are not going to do anything valuable defending anyway, I think that every opportunity to have to even slightly blunt his spearheads should be taken. Every vehicle, every tank counts, every supply expended to defend against you is something he won't have when he goes on the offensive. I'd rather bleed him even when odds are dire, just for the sake of not ending up with useless supplyless units slowly dying inside of pocket.

Don't forget beachheading supplies for your fellows in your pocket too!

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 8/17/2012 4:36:01 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 122
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/18/2012 12:18:42 AM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

hehe, the benefit of our hindsight couldn't be shared with you of course, but I have to say Scar is making up well for his former mistakes (then again the mistakes were cool and welcome, it makes the whole game much more interesting to watch, not like some generic clockwork stuff).

Although I quite understand your need to fall back everytime to avoid big losses, are you sure you're actually battling his units everywhere you can? Honestly, considering most of these divisions are not going to do anything valuable defending anyway, I think that every opportunity to have to even slightly blunt his spearheads should be taken. Every vehicle, every tank counts, every supply expended to defend against you is something he won't have when he goes on the offensive. I'd rather bleed him even when odds are dire, just for the sake of not ending up with useless supplyless units slowly dying inside of pocket.

Don't forget beachheading supplies for your fellows in your pocket too!

Fishbed - yeah, could probably be a bit more aggressive in "quieter" portions of the front. I've "scrubbed" two limited counter-attacks. Each was overcome by crisises in the Orel-Voronezh area, requiring the moving of forces. One was a limited attack near Yelna, east of Smolensk - designed to tie down forces building up near Orel. The other was in the south against Rumanians - designed to force commitment of German forces. Both of these "limited" offenses would have required the commitment of an army - in order to "relieve" attacking troops in their fortified positions, and to establish a reserve in response for the expected counterattack.

In any case, really didn't want to reposition an army's worth of troops for at best, minimal gains. I'd rather focus uncommitted troops to redundant fortified positions expanding outward from Moscow. If he doesn't launch a snow offensive, he'll likely head that route in '42, so I best prepare now. The challenge is going to be leaving troops garrisoning the forts (I hope to use mainly brigades) during the blizzard offenses.

So, except for limited counter attacks in response to his penetrations, I'm staying on the strategic defensive until blizzard hits. I'd welcome other ideas of course......

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 8/18/2012 12:32:20 AM >

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 123
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/18/2012 12:31:59 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 17; Oct 9, 1941........Clear

Industry moved: Stalino 12xArm; moved 2xU2VS and 2xU2Trans from rear factories forward, hoping for the Germans to quickly overrun their locations. I'm leaving one factory each to continue production, which I think will be more than sufficient.

Screen shot shows the "quiet" northern areas. Now that Leningrad has fallen, the Germans have withdrawn from the port of Sviritsa, which pulls probably allows two corps worth of troops to pull off the line. The positon was exposed, and ripe for attack during the blizzard. Probably a smart move - but it also frees up the 55th Army, shown on the rail line about to move out.

I've left 55th Army on the rail "ready" to move rather than moving them this turn as I'd like to ensure the Germans are NOT going to be launching a late offensive from the Leningrad area - I've lost track of PanzerGruppe 4 - and he might just launch an attack - perhaps after the mud.

I'll probably wind up positioning the 55th in the Valdai Hills as a fall back position.

I also have to reorganize the Leningrad Front - its 23rd Army HQs is empty, and I haven't brought any fresh troops up to fill it yet. During the mud, I hope to stand it up and replace the 52nd Army with it.

Lastly, this screen shot is a good example of why Flav's recommendation to hold the Finns up north is such a good idea. Holding back the Finns with a 3hex defenisve line sure beats the extended Svir River line. Glad I read that in the forum before we started this game! Of course, now that I've written that, and its been VERY quiet up there, Scar will make a major assault up there and push on thru!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 124
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/18/2012 12:55:53 AM   
IdahoNYer

The rest of the northern approaches to Moscow remains quiet. This has been extremely quiet, and therefore, I've neglected the defenses somewhat. With Panzergruppe 4 attacking in the Leningrad area, and Army Group Center's panzers south of Smolensk, I could afford to. Now that Leningrad has fallen, and the where-abouts of the panzers up north are unknown, I need to pay some attention here.

As you can see, the Soviet defenses, especially the Northwest Front, are rather stretched. NW Front's 8th Army has not been rebuilt since the initial summer attacks, and, like the Leningrad Front's 23rd Army, is awaiting fresh troops from STAVKA - most of which have gone into the Moscow-Tula-Voronezh area.

Moving 55th Army into the Valdai Hills area will help, but I still need to stand up the 8th Army. I've considered a withdrawal to the less extended Valdai Hills, but until I have a chance to fortify it, I've held off moving back. I'd rather make the Germans fight for the terrain anyway.

If I leave this area alone, and don't "show" reinforcements to the prying eyes of German recon aircraft - this is probably the most likely area for a German "snow" offensive before blizzard. Either here, or toward Stalino anyway.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 125
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/18/2012 1:08:00 AM   
bigbaba

great work holding the finns so far in the north.

the idea came from flav and it's realy a good once because it saves a lot of AP&room and limits finnish abilities to cause troubles a lot.

you also have a good front organization compared with the "rainbow warriors" (different fronts mixed up) of some players here.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 126
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/18/2012 1:27:59 AM   
IdahoNYer

While the north is quiet, the center between Kursk and Voronezh is still VERY active.

The Germans re-establish a cordon around the Voronezh Pocket, that for the most part is very robust - one hope is the 60th Mot Div holding frontage due west of Voronezh. Showing a CV of 6, and we're only able to possibly assault it with two hexes, its possible....

So I throw 6 separate air attacks to "soften" it up. Apparently it works - the deliberate attack by 37th Army re-opens the corridor. However, Lehr Bde holds off 4 attacks from 5th and 6th Army forces - which possibly would have allowed some troops to actually move into the "corridor".

So, again, the corridor is just a temporary lifeline -

Elsewhere in this screen shot, I've re-constituted the Bryansk Front's 19th Army, which allows 48th Army to concentrate better around Tula.

While I've been able to establish a number of armies to re-establish a continuous front after two thirds of the Southwestern Front was encircled - I'm concerned with the number of armies in this area attached directly to STAVKA rather than a front - it is going to be tough to re-establish the Southwestern Front without expending lots of APs....not good.

Lastly, I "think" Scar has pulled some panzers west of Orel - perhaps another attack concentration?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 127
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/18/2012 2:32:38 AM   
IdahoNYer

At the southern end of the front, it remains pretty quiet - and from the Soviet point of view, over extended. And, I'm pretty sure from the German point of view, from Kharkov south anyway, also over extended.

As long as the Army Group South's panzers are tied up near Voronezh, I can afford the thin lines - but I detect a subtle shift of some forces, such as the two SS units NE of Kharkov, that may signal a late effort to drive south toward Stalino.

Its getting late to do that prior to mud, but definately likely point of attack for a snow offensive.

I've got 29th Army around the Stalino area, but that won't be enough if he shifts Panzergruppe 1 south. And the Southern Front extending to the Dniepr Bend is a tempting target.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 8/18/2012 2:33:08 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 128
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/21/2012 5:19:27 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 18; Oct 16, 1941........Mud

Mud hits across the front - great news!!!!

Industry: Stalino 10xArm, Taganrog 6xLaGG 29

With the mud, the Germans don't do much - closed the ring around the Voronezh Pocket, and that was about it. Was kinda surprised that with the mud, he didn't try and reduce it - going to be tough to maintain a ring with little to no depth and most of his units out of supply due to the mud (in red).

For the Soviet turn, I once again mass the Red Falcons to soften up the weakest point in the ring - this time the blow falls on the 16th Mot Div. Three air attacks preceed the deliberate attack by 37th Army's 6xRifle Divs - which succeed in pushing back the 16th Mot and re-opening the corridor. This time, elements within the pocket advance into the gap.

With his supply status showing red for the what appears to be the majority of his panzer force - this can work out well. At the very best, he could well be encircled by my relief attempts. At worse, status quo, and the encircled Soviets are isolated and crushed. Somewhere in between is the likely outcome - he either takes the less risky option and pulls back - conserving his panzer force, but abandoning the pocket. Or he keeps trying to maintain the ring, wearing out his panzers in the process.

In any case, this should weaken his capability for a late '41 snow offensive.

Elsewhere along the front, it remains quiet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 129
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/23/2012 4:53:34 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 19; Oct 23, 1941......Mud

Industry moved: Stalino 7xArm, Voroshilovgrad 4xHI

Pretty much a repeat of the previous turn - rest of the front quiet, Germans re-close the Voronezh Pocket and in the Soviet turn, it is re-opened. This time by the relatively newly formed 30th Army's attack against the 44th In Div - again using a number of air attacks to soften up the target.

If the Germans insist on holding only a 10 mile wide cordon on the pocket, they just might find themselves the ones who are ecnircled - if I can get both 30th and 37th Armies to find a "soft" target to attack in the same turn.

Elsewhere...not much. The Germans kill 2xRifle Divs left behind and that's about it.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 130
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/23/2012 5:08:41 AM   
bigbaba

this can go forever and is absolutly good for the russian player. this nasty little pocket cost him 3,4,5? turns until now and the longer it is there the more russian troops can get into the area and fight a war of attrition.

good work keeping his tanks in thios 10 km corridor instead of letting them rest&refit for the winter.

< Message edited by bigbaba -- 8/23/2012 5:09:33 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 131
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/23/2012 9:21:48 AM   
Fishbed

Don't you wanna blow these weak Romanian units on the western side while you're at it? Soviet units so far into the pocket are done for anyway! Killing Romanian cav is always welcome.

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 8/23/2012 9:22:47 AM >

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 132
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/24/2012 6:13:54 AM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

Don't you wanna blow these weak Romanian units on the western side while you're at it? Soviet units so far into the pocket are done for anyway! Killing Romanian cav is always welcome.

I'd love to Fishbed, but most of the units in the pocket are in an unready status - nothing to attack with.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 133
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/27/2012 3:13:20 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 20; Oct 30, 1941....North Sov: Mud; Central and South Sov: Snow

Industry Moved: NONE! Forgot to move the bloody industry before I sent the turn!!! Arghhh!

Quick update; Germans solidify the 10mile corridor around the Voronezh Pocket, boosting supply to all units with mass air drops. 30th Army's 6xRifle Div attacks stopped cold by 20th Mot and 51st Army's 3xRifle Div attack also stopped cold by GD Mot Reg. Of course, heavy Soviet losses in both efforts.

It was a good run, but the pocket is doomed. Still....we tied down many panzer units for about a month, and actually got a rifle division and an airborne Bde OUT of encirclement.

The remaining 14 or so divisions are of course written off.

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 8/27/2012 3:20:48 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 134
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/28/2012 12:29:31 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 21; Nov 6, 1941.......Clear in South Soviet, Mud in Central and North Soviet

Industry moved: Stalino area: 5xHI and 3xArm, Tamboy 3xGAZ 37

Calendar flips to November, so its time for the informational screenshots.

Overall, October was pretty non-eventful with a good sized pocket established, but held out due to mud and being able to break through a corridor. Other than the fight near Voronezh, the rest of the front was very, very quiet. My guess is that the Germans are digging in, preparing for the blizzard...

As for industry, no major surprises as there was no major German advance. We'll continue to evacuate industry, as when summer 1942 rolls around, I'm sure the panzers will be back on the march.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 135
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/28/2012 12:34:42 AM   
IdahoNYer

OOB shows the Soviet's continue to expand - might get to 6 million before the Blizzard hits! Tanks, guns and aircraft all expand. On the German side, his forces also pretty much expand, but this should be his high water mark - or perhaps the Nov status will be.

Unless the Germans launch a very late major offensive (Ukraine perhaps), I don't expect much change here. Although the Soviet forces are numerous, the Germans are also "fat" going into the blizzard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 136
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/28/2012 12:36:46 AM   
IdahoNYer

Losses offer no real surprises. The Voronezh Pocket begins to collapse, providing the majority of the Soviet losses for the month. Still, very acceptable. For a "quiet" month, the Germans had heavy losses in trying to maintain the pocket.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 137
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/28/2012 12:38:22 AM   
IdahoNYer

Lastly the destroyed units. First tank brigades and an airborne brigade are lost (got one of three encircled airborne brigades out of the Voronezh Pocket!). No catastrophes, fight continues

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 138
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/28/2012 12:49:20 AM   
IdahoNYer

As for actions during the turn, the Germans began reducing the Voronezh Pocket, and, supported by the newly arrived 2nd and 5th Pz Div, broke into the Crimea - certainly didn't expect an attack there!

Screen shot shows the southern end of the front after Soviet moves - with the Crimea Isthmus line penetrated, no real need to stay so far forward in the south (to effect a link up in the blizzard), so the Southern Front pulls back.

If there is a late autumn German attack, attacking towards Stalino is a very likely candidate. With the Voronezh Pocket finally crushed - the panzers will be free in a turn or so to turn south. Backstopping the main line, we re-form the Southwestern Front's 26th Army and re-position some units of the 29th Army near Stalino.

I wouldn't mind a late season German attack - he might be more exposed come blizzard. However, I'd really like to keep his Voronezh "bulge" intact, as that is where I'm looking at the main effort of the Soviet's winter offensive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 139
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/28/2012 12:56:16 AM   
IdahoNYer

Last screen shot for the turn shows the Crimea.

Preserving the forces is paramount, so I don't contest the Isthmus after the fortifications are penetrated. I split the Coastal Army in half, part falling back to Sevastopol and the other half reforming as the 56th Army near Kerch.

I also gained two "Fronts" this turn - the Caucasus and the Transcaucasus Fronts. I'll assign these two armies to one of these Fronts - the other I'd like to commit well away from the Caucasus - wish we could name the Fronts ourselves!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 140
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/29/2012 12:25:55 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 22; Nov 13, 1941.........Blizzard in North Soviet, Snow in Central and South Soviet

Looks like the mud has given way to snow across the front, and the Germans renew offensive action, as expected, in the south toward the Stalino area.

Industry Moved: Stalino area 6xHI

Here at the northern end of the front, Sitzkrieg continues. With the fall of Leningrad, this area is begining to resemble the trench warfare static positions of the Great War.

Not much activity is putting it mildly. A reconstituted 23rd Army replaces the 52nd Army in the line, freeing up the latter for offensive operations elsewhere. I decide to temp the Germans by pulling back the 27th and 11th Armies about 40 miles. He's starting to get some good fortification levels, maybe I can coax him out of them? Probably not, but its worth the chance.

No real offensive plans here in the north once blizzard hits. The lines have gone static, and that's probably OK. I may make some limited attacks, but I'm not going to try and liberate Leningrad. There are better places to attack....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 141
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/29/2012 12:45:08 AM   
IdahoNYer

Here at the southern end of the line, what appears to be a panzerkorps broke clean through the weak 16th Army and drove about 50 miles toward Stalino. However, while a solid penetration occurred, the advancing infantry to the west were slow to advance. Still, elements of 16th Army on the western side of the penetration are at risk - as is 9th Army if that PzKps that attacked the Crimea shows up to the west...

Southwestern Front's 5th Army is reconstitued from local STAVKA reserves, and thrown into the line. 29th Army, defending the Stalino area, grapples with the lead German elements to slow their advance.

With the potential of another 2xPzKps poised to strike 18th Army, 26th Army positions slightly more to the west as a backstop.

Additional STAVKA reserves are sent toward Stalino just in case - capable of forming into another army, but I'll really be scratching my head if Scar really pushes this attack in mid Nov. I figured he'd make a push, but I expected it a few turns earlier - instead he opted to throw the panzers against the Crimea.

Will be interesting to see if that second concentration of panzers attacks south. Stalino is a tempting target, and if he's got some rested and refueled panzers, he could threaten the entire Donets Basin area - however, by doing so, he's going to be stretched thin and not prepared for blizzard in this area.

Next turn will prove very interesting....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 142
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/31/2012 4:11:11 PM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 23; Nov 20, 1941........North Soviet Blizzard, elsewhere Snow.

Industry moved: Stalino 5xVeh, Kerch 2xArm, Tamboy 2xArm

Quiet along the fron except in the south where the late Autumn German offensive continues. Germans look to consolidate gains, and focus on pinching off the 16th Army, trapping 5xDivs just SE of Kharkov.

These divisions can not be rescued, and we fall back and consolidate our own lines - more focused on preserving forces in preparation for the upcoming blizzard offensive (Sov manpower reaches the 6 million mark!)

61st Army is stood up in the Stalino area, and along with the 29th Army will constitute the Caucasus Front shortly - inserted into the lines between the Southern and Southwestern Fronts once December rolls around. I've kept 61st Army concentrated near Stalino more as a counter attack force, rather than a defensive force, although for now, their primary purpose is to safeguard the Stalino area.

The Caucasus Front will be the main effort in the southern portion of the Blizzard Offensive, driving into the German positions SE of Kharkov. So while I pull Southern Front back about 40 miles, I want to keep them as far forward to the west as I can to protect the flank of the upcoming offensive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 143
RE: Idaho defends the Motherland - 8/31/2012 4:17:26 PM   
IdahoNYer

Germans continue to adavance through the Crimea with what looks to be a Panzer Korps.....didn't expect that. To me, not the best place for the 2nd and 5th Pz Divs.

While I didn't expect the panzers here, not much I can do about it either. Coastal Army is in good shape behind good fortifications, and will be a tough nut to crack come summer. I may make some local attacks from here come blizzard, but I don't expect to do much other than cause casualties.

On the Kerch end, the 56th Army will attempt to hold as much of the Crimea as the Germans permit - otherwise hold the Kerch Strait. Like the Coastal Army, local attacks only come blizzard. I'm not going to push alot of troops here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 144
RE: Ger 1941 High Water Mark - 9/3/2012 5:47:38 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 24; Nov 27, 1941........North Soviet Blizzard, Snow elsewhere

Industry Moved: None - all rail transport used to move armies into attack positions for upcoming blizzard offensive.

Screen shot shows probable German High Water Mark prior to the Soviet Blizzard Offensive - slated to begin next turn.

Front line from the Volkov in the north to Orel have been quiet since Leningrad fell. South of Orel, Germans maintained the offensive up through last turn - destroying 5 encircled divisions in the Kharkov Pocket.

The goal of the offensive will be primarily to cause German casualties; secondary will be to collapse the Voronezh bulge in the German lines.
Detailed plans on the screen shots to follow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 145
RE: Ger 1941 High Water Mark - 9/3/2012 5:54:42 AM   
IdahoNYer

Here at the north end of the Front, little is expected in the upcoming offensive. The Germans/Finns pulled back behind the Volkov and are dug in. I don't see the benefit of any offensive across the river.

Zhukov was transferred out of the Leningrad Front to take command of the Volkov Front, spearheading the Blizzard Offensive near Orel. Lenningrad Front will stay on the defensive unless the Germans really decide to weaken their lines here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 146
RE: Ger 1941 High Water Mark - 9/3/2012 6:04:46 AM   
IdahoNYer

West of Moscow, we'll limit ourselves with holding attacks - designed to keep the pressure on the Germans to prevent him from moving forces to more threatened areas.

Northwestern Front's 27th and 11th Armies will probe west to make contact with the German. I expect to find them deeply entrenched, and will not press any major attacks here as the front line is already jutting out westward.

Kalinin Front's 22nd, 24th and 20th Armies will conduct aggressive holding attacks initially on exposed German fortifications, and press to the southwest to threaten Smolensk. I don't expect any penetrations here, but I do expect the Kalinin Front to be able to weaken the German forces opposed against it.

Also, as Soviet armies move forward out of defensive positions to attack, their fortifications will be occupied by arriving Rifle Bdes to maintain the fortifications. Also, as a general rule of thumb, I don't plan on attacking with any unit with less than 40 experience. So far, few Tank Bdes meet that requirement.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 9/3/2012 6:06:14 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 147
RE: Ger 1941 High Water Mark - 9/3/2012 6:26:52 AM   
IdahoNYer

The main Soviet attack will be oriented on an advance toward Kursk from the north. The Germans have been preparing here for a number of weeks, so I expect tough going initially. To facilitate that somewhat, I begin advancing rifle divisions, infiltrating between German strongpoints. While I expect him strong here, I don't expect a robust defense in depth.

The plan (from north to south)

South of Kalinin Front's 20th Army, 49th Army (STAVKA) will conduct holding attacks on German forces east of Smolensk to protect the Flank of the Western Front, to its south.

Western Front, attacking with 3rd and 4th Armies forward, and 10th Army in support to the rear, will breach the German lines west of Bryansk to protect the Bryansk Front's flank from counter attack from the west.

54th Army (STAVKA) will advance southward to maintain contact with both Western Front to the west and Bryansk Front to its east.

Bryansk Front will attack with 21st and 19th Armies forward, supported by 43rd Army to take Bryansk and advance toward Kursk.

55th Army (STAVKA) will move between Bryansk and Volkov Fronts once the Fronts have advanced forward.

Volkov Front will attack initially with 34th and 48th Armies abreast, and then pass the 1st Shock Army forward after the intial German defenses are breached, and advance toward Kursk.

32nd Army (STAVKA) will protect the Volkov Front's eastern flank.

50th and 30th Armies will maintain contact with German forces to their front, and conduct local attacks as opportunity presents itself - as I expect the Germans to pull back as their northern flank becomes threatened.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 148
RE: Ger 1941 High Water Mark - 9/3/2012 6:39:38 AM   
IdahoNYer

The southern half of the offensive is still forming up due to the late German attack.

Of the screen to the north, 37th Army (STAVKA) maintains a defensive stance protecting Voronezh. It will advance as the Germans withdraw west.

Southwestern Front has already begun attacking Rumanians to its front with the 18th Army. Its 5th Army stays on the defensive until the 26th Army can be brought forward.

Caucasus Front is still forming up. It will lead with the 29th and 61st Armies attacking in the general direction of Kharkov, but I don't look at the city as its primary objective - just a point of orientation. Next week the 2nd Shock Army will be formed as the Front's third army, and spearhead the advance once it arrives in the line.

Southern Front will attack to protect the Caucasus Front's western Flank, but it is also recovering from the German attack, and its 16th Army requires reforming as it lost 50% of its strength in the latest German attack.

In the Crimea, the Transcaucasus Front will generally stay on the defensive, and attack locally as opportunity presents itself.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 149
RE: Ger 1941 High Water Mark - 9/3/2012 6:47:12 AM   
IdahoNYer

With alot of luck, this is what the plan looks like at the Macro-Level. 6x Fronts attacking to eliminate the Voronezh Bulge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Idaho defends the Motherland Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI