Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

U boat warfare

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> U boat warfare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
U boat warfare - 9/8/2012 2:01:26 PM   
panzers

I would like to know how the U boats work. Are they automatically raiding the convoys and I as the German pklayer don't know it, or is there something where u can view the convoy damage?
Also, do I need to build packs of them or just one at a time filling in all the sea zones?
Post #: 1
RE: U boat warfare - 9/11/2012 11:11:01 PM   
panzers

does anyone know? I just would like to know that my u boats are raiding the Atlantic

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 2
RE: U boat warfare - 9/11/2012 11:18:22 PM   
SteveD64

Here's what just happened to me. I'm playing every major country in hotseat mode. The Germans start out with a U-boat in the Atlantic (not sure which zone, it's off of France). The British have a convoy route set up that goes to Alexandria. On the first turn I, the British, received a report that the Alexandria convoy had failed due to the U-boat. I don't know if the German player receives the same report as I'm playing everybody in hotseat mode and can see the result of every convoy.

I then put a British battleship and cruiser in the same zone and the next turn my convoy made it through. I have no idea if that's the answer to the U-boat problem or what ships are good at anti-submarine warfare.

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 9/11/2012 11:26:05 PM >

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 3
RE: U boat warfare - 9/12/2012 5:23:29 AM   
panzers

ok. All I have played so far is Germany. They do not get a report. Seems like to me they should get exp like every other unit in the game. Thanks for the info

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 4
RE: U boat warfare - 9/13/2012 1:53:39 AM   
jomni

I think the U-boats are doing their job of interdicting covoys but the player just don't get the reports. :(

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 5
RE: U boat warfare - 9/13/2012 12:50:57 PM   
ricodc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I think the U-boats are doing their job of interdicting covoys but the player just don't get the reports. :(

Yeah I agree but the Naval side could be better with a full report at the start of your turn. Apart from Recon/Airstrike & Bombardment its hard to tell if your Navy is carrying out its role properly.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 6
RE: U boat warfare - 9/14/2012 4:21:49 AM   
jomni

I never noticed the lack of feedback in Storm Over the Pacific.  Maybe Doomtrader can comment on this issue.

(in reply to ricodc)
Post #: 7
RE: U boat warfare - 9/14/2012 8:02:44 AM   
doomtrader

I'm not pretty sure what kind of report you would like to receive on the top of those already implemented?

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 8
RE: U boat warfare - 1/23/2013 12:42:39 AM   
borsook79

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I'm not pretty sure what kind of report you would like to receive on the top of those already implemented?

This is an old one but it is still an issue - there are reports in the report screen, but if raiding is successful one should get a report automatically, without having to go there.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 9
Don't Be Lazy - 1/27/2013 3:25:14 PM   
Omnius

I find the sub war reporting for both sides to be sufficient. All one has to do is become familiar with the different reports available and you'll find how the sub war is going for either side. Having too many reports thrown at us in between turns just slows down the game resolution.
Omnius

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 10
Sub War not like Time of Fury - 1/27/2013 3:59:27 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

I would like to know how the U boats work. Are they automatically raiding the convoys and I as the German pklayer don't know it, or is there something where u can view the convoy damage?
Also, do I need to build packs of them or just one at a time filling in all the sea zones?

panzers,
One reason that the subs are less of an influence in SWiE than in Time of Fury is that there are no British Colonies or Iraqi port from which to ferry resources to England. In ToF it's running the sub gauntlet for delivering resources to England proper that gives subs meaning. In SWiE there are only supply convoys really to run so there is less convoy activity going on, thus less use for German or Italian subs.

There are reports for the player using subs to ascertain if he's sinking convoy STP's and how many and in which sea areas. I don't find it difficult to find out about convoy/sub activity from either perspective, I tend to ignore the convoy reports in between turns and read them after the fact in the reports section.
Omnius

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 11
RE: Don't Be Lazy - 1/27/2013 5:09:01 PM   
borsook79

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I find the sub war reporting for both sides to be sufficient. All one has to do is become familiar with the different reports available and you'll find how the sub war is going for either side. Having too many reports thrown at us in between turns just slows down the game resolution.
Omnius

I disagree, now I have to open the reports screen every turn to see if anything happened (and usually it doesn't) if it opened automatically only when there is something new the game would be faster. Plus this could be toggleable in the options.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 12
Wolf Packs - 1/27/2013 5:35:04 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

panzers,
Wolf Packs work best because of leaders. Plus you have to be careful of placing subs in sea areas adjacent to enemy territory where tactical bombers can make survival tough like the eastern and western Atlantic. A nice wolf pack in the Central Atlantic with a good leader can work wonders. You have to be careful about how long you keep subs at sea, I usually rotate after 4 or 5 turns back to port before going out again. Or when a sub gets damaged I return to port to repair it before going abck out.
Omnius

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> U boat warfare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI