Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

R&D acceleration question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> R&D acceleration question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
R&D acceleration question - 9/10/2012 3:04:35 PM   
wac29

Has anyone tried accelerating the later model of an airframe before the previous model?

For example, accelerating A6M5 so it would start before A6M3c (only A6M2 in production currently)?

How does the game handle it?
Post #: 1
RE: R&D acceleration question - 9/10/2012 3:32:13 PM   
pws1225

The further out a model is scheduled to come online, the more slowly the R&D points accumulate. The sooner a model is scheduled to appear, the faster the R&D points accumulate. In your example, I doubt if you could accumulate enough R&D fast enough to produce the A6M5 before the A6M3c. A more efficient approach is to research the A6M3c first, then switch to the A6M5 once the 3c is on the verge of production.

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 2
RE: R&D acceleration question - 9/10/2012 3:34:35 PM   
Puhis

If you play PDU on, there's no problems skipping plane models.

If you play PDU off, situation is a bit more tricky. Air groups have only one upgrade path, and I think you can't manually choose the plane model. However, automatic upgrades can skip models even if you're playing PDU off.

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 3
RE: R&D acceleration question - 9/10/2012 4:22:43 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

The further out a model is scheduled to come online, the more slowly the R&D points accumulate. The sooner a model is scheduled to appear, the faster the R&D points accumulate. In your example, I doubt if you could accumulate enough R&D fast enough to produce the A6M5 before the A6M3c. A more efficient approach is to research the A6M3c first, then switch to the A6M5 once the 3c is on the verge of production.

It would depend on how much R&D he's dumping into the program. Since the A6M5 is the next upgrade in the A6M2-N path I have a game around 2.20.42 and already have two fully repaired (30) factories researching the A6M5 with more to fully repair in the next few weeks.

In my game I'm researching the A6M3 as well but I could envision a scenario where the A6M5 arrives before the A6M3c.

Tracker screens for examples.

Edit as not to mislead anyone. Upon closer inspection game date is 2.25.42 and the first A6M5 repaired 5 turns ago and the second 2 turns ago.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 9/10/2012 4:53:40 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 4
RE: R&D acceleration question - 9/10/2012 7:45:23 PM   
wac29

I think the A6M5 is a special case because it can upgrade from the Rufe path.

If you move up a fully repaired R&D factory one step at a time along the upgrade path it stays undamaged so you can skip models. In my game it looks like the A6M5 will move earlier than the A6M3c (all done through the A6M path). Because of the Rufe issue it may work fine. In the case of a plane such as the Tojo, if you took repaired factories from the IIa model to IIc and it moved earlier than 7/43, (the IIb model), I am wondering if the production factories would upgrade to the IIb since it is later or not or cause some other kind of problem. I guess I'll try and see.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 5
RE: R&D acceleration question - 9/18/2012 2:55:15 PM   
wac29

The answer to my question is the research works fine but the existing production factories don't upgrade without damage (not manually but perhaps automatically if upgrade set to yes, but not right away). So you can either move R&D into production for faster production or start from 0 by changing existing production factories. In any case with a lot of research it seems the best thing to do is skip the intervening models of an airframe and go for the last or best one so you don't have to then produce all the news planes again.

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 6
RE: R&D acceleration question - 9/18/2012 7:12:15 PM   
ALF1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wac29

I think the A6M5 is a special case because it can upgrade from the Rufe path.

If you move up a fully repaired R&D factory one step at a time along the upgrade path it stays undamaged so you can skip models. In my game it looks like the A6M5 will move earlier than the A6M3c (all done through the A6M path). Because of the Rufe issue it may work fine. In the case of a plane such as the Tojo, if you took repaired factories from the IIa model to IIc and it moved earlier than 7/43, (the IIb model), I am wondering if the production factories would upgrade to the IIb since it is later or not or cause some other kind of problem. I guess I'll try and see.

There is even better way : A6M2 (anyway you need lot of them for upgrade A5M4 squadrons) > A6M2 Sen Baku >A6M5b and after to choose what you want A6m5c or A6M8. So, if you go for extreme R&D you can speed up the A6M8 first time already in 1/42. I thing this is not so cleaver from programmers to allowe this. I thought one time that this is cleaver idea to do that - but I spoiled my PBEM game. I have had A6m5c in 5/42 - no chance for allied opponent.

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> R&D acceleration question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI