Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Blockades (how to remove)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> AI Blockades (how to remove) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 6:58:23 AM   
Lochar

Hi there,

First time posting here and before I start with my question I just want to say how I have been enjoying this game immensely. I play in moods and havent had a 4x space strategy one in years. I must have spent over 100$ buying and trying every 4x game in the last few yrs. Hands down I come baclk this this one. There are some with awesome graphics but shallow play or others with decent graphics and gameplay but lacking other things. I was a fan of turn based strategy games but with this game, as long as I can pause and give orders I have been happy. My only gripe I would say with this one is the combat as I dont like the zerg look it becomes when 2 fleets clash, but otherwise been enjoying it greatly.

This is my second play thru, my first, I went from being respected by most all the races except for a few that kept going to war with me and somewhere I got a bad rep. It may have been due to trying to wipe out one of the annoying ones out but not sure and I couldnt find a save where it started.

Anyways onto my 2nd playthrough and my question: How do I remove a blockade by the AI? For me I had to send ships to blockade a planet but this is 2nd time I have gotten blockaded and all it does it mark the planet but not 1 ship is doing it. Matter of fact I had a task force sitting in the system where the last 1 occured. I am not at war with anyone and right now I didnt want to start 1 as most of my fleets are being retrofitted. So do I just negotiate with them to drop it or is there some other way?
Post #: 1
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 7:16:35 AM   
mikbob

Pretty green at DW myself and i wondered the same thing. Many times the AI blockade without enforcing with a fleet. I "think" you can break that by i.e retrofitting at the Planet starbase? The other way is of course via diplpmacy.

If the AI do send ships to enforce a blockade I take offense and send a fleet of my own to kick them out of my system (well if I have a stronger military rating overall that is...)

Any other way to handle blockades?

EDIT: Breaking a blockade with force in your own territory sholdnt get you into a war but will render a "warning" to stop attacks.

< Message edited by mikbob -- 9/18/2012 7:39:04 AM >

(in reply to Lochar)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 9:03:03 AM   
Bingeling

Will attacking a blockade force hurt your reputation the same way as other attacks (with no war) does?

To me it seems like the "blockades with no forces" expire after a while, probably due to the lack of forces.

As fro drop in reputation. The big thing is attacking with no war. In general I think being aggressive, and conquering in general, also helps in dropping reputation. Killing pirate bases raises reputation.

So as long as you are able to find a good supply of pirate bases, you can be a rather nasty player, and still have high reputation. The reputation system is not the best feature of the game :)

(in reply to mikbob)
Post #: 3
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 11:49:15 AM   
mikbob

Well I did right now (current game) attack the Shandar blockading force in my territory. They did warn me but my rep is still Respectable. But that doesnt tell me much anyway i suppose.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 12:56:55 PM   
Bingeling

I guess you would have to try things like.

- Try a few times, reload the same situation.
- Test with attacking and leaving a lot of times.
- Test with attacking other stuff (mining bases) to get an idea of how reputation reacts.

If you want to figure out if it is reputation hurting or not...

I have never noticed their blockades to matter much, though. They blockade some border colony or station of little relevance. It is not like the empire hinges on traffic from that station once the game matures a bit.

I have seen a fleet of 4-5 smaller ships blockade a major colony with medium large spaceport, defensive bases (in multiples), and superior technology. Any of the bases would wipe the blockading fleet alone without noticing. There should really be an option to challenge a blockade.

I feel a blockade system in general should need a game system where declaring war require some reasons. It should be a way to force the other side to declare war, and for the declaring side, they should not lose standing/reputation as much since they have a very good excuse for starting the war... I think the EU games have such systems, and a good old board game like Empires in Arms had it very much.

(in reply to mikbob)
Post #: 5
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 2:12:20 PM   
mikbob

Yeah maybe a DW should implement a light version om EU games Casus Belli principle. Then blockades would have a greater impact overall.

FYI - fending off hostile fleets in my territory tend to get very personal for me, no matter the cost

Unfortunately I have moved on in my current game but i will test this first oppurtunity I get.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 3:06:30 PM   
Bingeling

I tend to play long games, and I don't start them easily. Unluckily I am quite peaceful both in game and in the real life, so I think I will have to keep to aggressive AIs to help me on war footing.

However, in ROTS, nothing annoyed me as much as other encroaching on "my" areas. Borders got rid of this friction. But if anyone send a blockade force to my colonies, I am pretty sure they will find guns blazing quite fast.

(in reply to mikbob)
Post #: 7
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 8:09:42 PM   
ASHBERY76

I have modded the game in the A.I policy files to not blockade at all.This is the best solution.I think it also makes trade santions a better political option too because when they blockade with fleets it usually means war.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 9/18/2012 8:12:19 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 8
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 8:59:58 PM   
mikbob

A strange thing I noticed with AI blockades is that my ships and defensive bases don't attack the blockading fleet... except for my carriers (the fighters actually). Is this a correct behavior? Anyone else that has the same experience?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 9:15:08 PM   
Bingeling

The two blocking frigates will happily sit among 4 700 strength defensive bases, and 800 strength space port, blocking all traffic at the colony. Mind you, the ones blockaded are just bystanders, watching the blockading part doing as they please.

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 9/18/2012 9:18:36 PM >

(in reply to mikbob)
Post #: 10
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/18/2012 10:33:33 PM   
mikbob

Well lucky me who has a thing for carriers then.

They open a can of woopass every time - and very well deserved i might add. My other pacifist shipcaptains kind of get dragged in to it

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 11
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/19/2012 12:16:36 AM   
Lochar

Well normally they do blockade some obscure port but this 1 happens to be a fairly new colony on my border and its preventing my orbital structures from being built. I will try the diplomatic route but main annoyance is the AI can just call a blockade with no ships in the system. Good tip about the carriers tho.

(in reply to Lochar)
Post #: 12
RE: AI Blockades (how to remove) - 9/19/2012 9:12:34 AM   
Bingeling

I would move fleets in that general direction. Maybe you can chat things into a war, or otherwise some fleet officer could always stumble and hit the "all weapons fire" button by accident.

(in reply to Lochar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> AI Blockades (how to remove) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI