Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Inquery About Hidden Governments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Inquery About Hidden Governments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/2/2012 7:37:56 PM   
vince0018

I've been playing DW today and yesterday (DW+Shakturi+Legends-17.0.16) and enjoying myself quite a bit.
So far I'm 10 years into the game and all seems to be going well.

Anyways I came across an event, I can't remember exactly how it said it was found, ancient texts or something maybe.
But I unlocked a government type 'Way of the Ancients' which has the following:
-War Weariness Normal
-Maintenance Costs -10%
-Approval +30%
-Growth Rate +30%
-Research Speed +50%
-Troop Recruitment Normal
-Corruption -20%
-Colony Income +10%

Is it just me or does that seem a bit excessive; there's no down side to choosing this government.
I know it's a hidden government so it should maybe be better than the other ones.
But one of the reasons I like governments in DW is because of the choice it gives you to choose one that suits you,
having one like this just seems like you 'have' to choose it.

If it was balanced in more of a way that you might feel a little more on the fence maybe.
Based on the descriptions it seems like it's supposed to be a more peaceful way, so maybe if it gave you more of a detriment to your military.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it. Checking out every government right now and a couple better stats in one or two places. But Way of the Ancients still has such good research, approval, and reduced corruption.
Maybe there's something else I've missed about it, and I shouldn't be thinking so hard about it and just enjoy the game.
----
On another note I am enjoying this game a lot again.
I was giving it a hard time for not running so great on my PC. But lately I've been playing a lot more
CPU intensive games which run much worse than this one.
It even seems I'm getting used to stutter in most of my games.
But I'm hoping and planning to get a new PC finally at the end of this month, so hopefully it's looking up.

I am enjoying DW much more now, since I've stopped obsessing over trying to get it to run better;
I had virtually shut it out for quite awhile now trying to forget about it.
But it's a very good, detailed game which has so many options and ways to tailor it to your play-style.

So I apologize for being so rude awhile back, if anyone even remembers me, hehe.
And I look forward to playing a lot more.

Vince
Post #: 1
RE: Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/2/2012 7:55:30 PM   
Nedrear

If you want a serious chance at the end of the game you will need it to battle the other secret goverment of your enemies.
I personally never use these special goverments in my mods for a reason. They got their place in the backstory of the vanilla game and are far too good in a mod.

I personally would like the goverment switch to be event based or condition based. For example switching to military dictatorship would need a ration of X firepower to Y citizens in the empire or that you are stuck with CN after a bad event chain of your private sector arming itself. But I will not know what Elliot and Erik got in stock for us with the new expansion until ... well sometime this month hopefully.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 2
RE: Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/2/2012 8:42:37 PM   
vince0018

Just now I found another hidden government; Way of Darkness.

Interestingly, it seems to counter Way of the Ancients in the same way the other governments counter each other.
Way of the Ancients:                             Way of Darkness:
-War Weariness Normal                           -War Weariness -80%
-Maintenance Costs -10%                         -Maintenance Costs -30%
-Approval +30%                                  -Approval Normal
-Growth Rate +30%                               -Growth Rate +20%
-Research Speed +50%                            -Research Speed +30%
-Troop Recruitment Normal                       -Troop Recruitment +50%
-Corruption -20%                                -Corruption Normal
-Colony Income +10%                             -Colony Income Normal

So Way of Darkness is more geared towards military.
It would seem then that the hidden governments are more balanced with each other, only at a higher tier
than the normal governments.

This is much easier to live with, for me anyways, since it's no longer just one choice.
I don't know how many hidden governments there are, but now I have two balanced choices to choose from.

< Message edited by vince0018 -- 10/2/2012 8:47:17 PM >

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 3
RE: Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/2/2012 11:18:43 PM   
unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: vince0018
Is it just me or does that seem a bit excessive; there's no down side to choosing this government.
I know it's a hidden government so it should maybe be better than the other ones.
But one of the reasons I like governments in DW is because of the choice it gives you to choose one that suits you,
having one like this just seems like you 'have' to choose it.

It's definitely good, but the thing to watch out for it that both it and Way of Darkness are really polarizing and will put you at odds with a good chunk of the galaxy. I haven't played around with Way of the Ancients that much, but I never pick WoD until I'm in a decent position of power and ready to take on multiple empires.

And like Nedrear said they tie into the story, so if you pick one things will definitely get interesting for you later on.

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 4
RE: Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/3/2012 3:12:19 AM   
Frildin

I agree that they seem a bit too powerful, which is why I usually opt not to use them unless I'm in a dire situation. I impose a couple rules when playing to keep away from things I deem a bit too effective. I'll usually only switch to one of these if I find them when I'm in serious danger. I like to think of it as a secret weapon, like keeping a World Annihilator around .

Truth be told though, I think Espionage skill on Agents is far more powerful (if you're playing with the RotS storyline on). If you encounter the Ancient Guardians they have seemingly every technology already researched from the start. With a decent espionage level (65+) you can pretty much steal all the techs you want far faster then even a heavily developed Quameno empire can get them, let alone having 2 or 3 good agents. That conversation is more for another topic though.

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 5
RE: Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/3/2012 3:15:30 PM   
Jeeves

Use way of the ancients unless you are predominantly insect worlds, in which case way of darness is viable. But with way of darkness you will need to keep large garrisons on non insect worlds to suppress revolts...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Frildin)
Post #: 6
RE: Inquery About Hidden Governments - 10/3/2012 4:56:25 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

The other governments are looking for the Yin\Yan too, and may find them earlier than you. But the government system does need an overhaul. Looking back at MOO2, there was a late-game tech that upgraded your existing government.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Inquery About Hidden Governments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI