Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two Questions about the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Two Questions about the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two Questions about the AI - 10/4/2012 8:12:53 PM   
Kensai

Hi,

I'm currently in an Iron Man game as Allies.

I had a problem with the AI which kept attacking Perth. Well, that has stopped, but now it doesn't react to anything I do anymore. I've takeng Guadalcanal without hassle, then the Rossel Island (to cut off Port Moresby) and finally Nauru Island. All without any opposition.

I then loaded as Japan and close to all the Japanese assets are sitting in Tokyo :(. While I have all my carriers + one Essex, they still have more CVs + better pilots (my navy replacements are ~30xp while he gets 55 + all his CVs have air groups in the 85-90 xp Range).

So the first question would be: is this a known problem and is there something I can do about it? I don't want to waste my three weeks work on this game.

The second question: what whould be the best scenario / side selection when playing against the AI? I've read that the Ironman Scenario is rather bad AI wise.

< Message edited by Kensai -- 10/4/2012 8:22:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/4/2012 9:59:17 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Hmmm cant help you with your problem. I play Ironman as Japan and boy the AI puts some pressure on me.

(in reply to Kensai)
Post #: 2
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/5/2012 4:53:32 AM   
jmalter

i'm no expert, but i gather that the AI chooses randomly among several available 'scripts' when the game starts. i suppose that some of the scripts are more aggressive than others, but i doubt if any are purely passive. you might be up against a script that will try to put the nasty on you at a later date!

or, you might be playing a mod that's not compatible w/ the AI.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 10/5/2012 4:54:40 AM >

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 3
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/5/2012 7:55:51 AM   
Kensai

Unfortunately, Iron Man is a stock scenario- I'm not using any mods currently.

I would try to play a normal game as Japanese, but I'm afraid that the Allied AI will waste their carriers as soon as they come online instead of saving them and using the CVs in groups.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 4
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/5/2012 8:46:00 AM   
goran007

ANDY made updates to ironman u can download it in scenario section.

till 07/1943 I had to down 22.000 planes (more than 1k a month) to survive. All the Japan carriers are alive and are sailing in a death star with more than 700 planes so i am quite scare of them.

With new updates there are no more suicide attacks on well defended bases or sailing to corregidor/pearl etc...

I recommend u download new ironman its well worth playing.

(in reply to Kensai)
Post #: 5
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/5/2012 9:10:58 AM   
Banzan

Iron Man is updated to V11 from Andy Mac Iron Man V10 (vs Japan AI)

But in general, the AI is, as already said no AI but a use of scripts. So it puts its units to a place and perform scripted missions with units it can use/find.

< Message edited by Banzan -- 10/5/2012 9:12:34 AM >

(in reply to Kensai)
Post #: 6
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/6/2012 2:14:27 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Hmmm cant help you with your problem. I play Ironman as Japan and boy the AI puts some pressure on me.

+1

Pax

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 7
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/6/2012 2:24:57 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kensai

Hi,

I'm currently in an Iron Man game as Allies.

I had a problem with the AI which kept attacking Perth. Well, that has stopped, but now it doesn't react to anything I do anymore. I've takeng Guadalcanal without hassle, then the Rossel Island (to cut off Port Moresby) and finally Nauru Island. All without any opposition.

I then loaded as Japan and close to all the Japanese assets are sitting in Tokyo :(. While I have all my carriers + one Essex, they still have more CVs + better pilots (my navy replacements are ~30xp while he gets 55 + all his CVs have air groups in the 85-90 xp Range).

So the first question would be: is this a known problem and is there something I can do about it? I don't want to waste my three weeks work on this game.

The second question: what whould be the best scenario / side selection when playing against the AI? I've read that the Ironman Scenario is rather bad AI wise.

First, two things.

One, with Ironman, set your difficulty to at least HARD for 2 - 3 days/month. This helps the AI recover. Per Andy Mac.

Two, whenever I see the AI doing something a little "off" like attack a place piecemeal stupidly, I run a few turns head-to-head and steer it away from that. Put my attacks on hold, move the AI units around a little, fix a few things for it, and then go back to normal mode.

The game is incredibly complicated. To think that an AI will be able to keep up for +1000 turns is ludicrous. BUT, give it a little help every now and anon and it provides great entertainment, particularly the Ironman scenarios.

Finally, as already advised, be sure you are playing the latest update on the Ironman scenario. The new AI files are just fine. I only play as IJ (like Grafin, so I can't comment on the IJ AI), but the allied AI files are just fine. From our side the allied pilots, ~7500 of them each month, are coming in at 65 exp and skill. And don't even mention those cruise missile armed Dorniers ... they never miss and they must have 10,000kb bombs loaded!

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 10/6/2012 2:26:05 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Kensai)
Post #: 8
RE: Two Questions about the AI - 10/8/2012 10:49:55 AM   
Kensai

Thanks for the answers :)

I've started an new Ironman (dl the new one from AndyMac) and it looks much better now, but it's only Jan 1942 :D.

And the Flakratings are WAY up compared to the other scens I've played yet- some CVs and BBs (with later upgrades) have as much AA as a complete TF in old games.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Two Questions about the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI