Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/2/2012 5:31:52 AM   
PlacidDragon

Welcome to the forum then :)

Generally speaking, they announce things like expansions well before their release, showcasing new / changed features, and anything else that might be new (general engine upgrades, new races, ship classes, weapons, research, etc etc).

I cant say anything spesifically on Distant Worlds though, for some inexplicable reason it passed completely under my radar until i stumbled over it and its two expansions.

< Message edited by PlacidDragon -- 10/2/2012 5:32:26 AM >

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 31
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/2/2012 5:51:01 AM   
bryanhbell

Thanks. Is the expectation that in this month's announcement they'll be announcing an entire expansion (like DW:L or DW:ROTS) or an update, like we got in April?

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to PlacidDragon)
Post #: 32
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/2/2012 1:55:36 PM   
Cauldyth

It'll be a full expansion, like Legends. The previous two expansions were officially announced in September of their year, and then released in November. Sounds like this one might be running a little late though.

And thanks for the update, Erik.

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 33
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/2/2012 7:40:22 PM   
Hawawaa

I loved legends and can't wait to dive in this next expansion

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 34
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/3/2012 2:35:13 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Sorry everyone, I meant to post yesterday but things have been very busy. There will be news in October, but we are a bit behind the schedule I originally planned on, so the announcement is not yet ready. Some of the new features have taken quite a bit of work and I think you will be happy with the release, but we will only announce more information when we're ready to share something that is close enough to complete to be more meaningful. That means sometime in October, but unfortunately not yet.

Regards,

- Erik

Looking forward to it!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 35
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/3/2012 6:53:52 PM   
w1p

Wish we had some more information about it :(

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 36
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/3/2012 7:15:55 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: w1p

Indeed we are asking for new features details and not a beta test.The design choices for the next expansion are clearly decided at this stage.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 10/3/2012 7:26:02 PM >

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 37
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 7:32:48 AM   
bryanhbell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: w1p

Indeed we are asking for new features details and not a beta test.The design choices for the next expansion are clearly decided at this stage.

I imagine that even though they've already made design decisions, they may not be positive they'll be able to deliver on such decisions until just prior to release. They might consider it better to delay an announcement than to risk having to renege on one or more announced features. No matter how much effort they might put into warning customers that they can't guarantee all features can be delivered, people would still be upset or disappointed if they don't see their favorite feature implemented.

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 38
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 12:21:42 PM   
w1p

I can't say that i've scoured this forum from start to finish, but has there actually been an official word on if there IS another expansion?? I can't find one.

I think I've jumped on the band wagon and have just assumed that another expansion is due....

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 39
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 6:48:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, what I've been talking about is indeed another expansion that we've been working on for months now and one we hope to finish and release before the end of this year. The current working title is Distant Worlds: Shadows and I'll post more information about the feature list as soon as we are ready.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 40
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 7:02:03 PM   
Nedrear

Sounds like a total makeover of the spy engine or stealth military techs which are underrepresented... but judging by names is stupid. Not every game content lives up to its name.

So the Expansion "Shadows" it is then. I sure hope a lot more mod options are in there.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 41
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 7:58:15 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Shadows are worse than Shakturi... (see sig)

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 42
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 9:02:46 PM   
WoodMan

Very much looking forward to it! As always

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 43
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 9:38:25 PM   
ASHBERY76

Shadows and the hint about Pirates being important in this expansion suggest a link or maybe the Shadows are just the new big bad Bio race on the block.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 44
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 9:39:51 PM   
WiZz

A title of existing addon (Legends) means nothing. So, I think word "Shadows" doesn't have a significant meaning. Just beautiful title for space strategy addon.
At all, I have huge hopes for this expansion.

< Message edited by WiZz -- 10/4/2012 9:40:22 PM >

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 45
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 9:42:30 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

A title of existing addon (Legends) means nothing. So, I think word "Shadows" doesn't have a significant meaning. Just beautiful title for space strategy addon.
At all, I have huge hopes for this expansion.

Actually the title Legends ment the new leader system introduced in my view.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 46
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 9:48:44 PM   
Nedrear

A legend is a great person or leader or general shaping the history of a nation or empire through his actions. The name fits the expansion.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 47
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 9:55:52 PM   
WiZz

Possible. Honestly, this meaning was not clear for me.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 48
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 10:31:41 PM   
WoodMan

Yup, the legendary leader is what I assumed the title meant. It was clear to me immediately, hehe. Also, aren't the pirates called the Legendary Pirates?

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 49
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/4/2012 11:27:37 PM   
unclean

Firmly in the did not think about title camp here, mind = blown.

Hope this is a "shadows of the past" kind of thing and we get to see some crazy pre-war stuff.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 50
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/5/2012 3:52:43 AM   
Haree78

Or it could be to do with the mechanics of stealth or the way pirates act, or some kind of singularity mechanics....hmmm can't wait to see what is in store for us.

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 51
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/5/2012 4:08:56 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

A legend is a great person or leader or general shaping the history of a nation or empire through his actions. The name fits the expansion.

You hit the nail on the head Nedrear!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 52
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/5/2012 2:39:00 PM   
Harrs

Please dont rush make it bugfree.. till end of the year ís not a lot of time... And take a look on the wishlist..
Eliminate the exploits with trading tech.. And please put real terraforming in..

Shadows sounds nice.. Maybe you could play a pirate fraction.. that would be funny.. You have to capture freighters and so on.
like the pirates game in the carribean haha :)
And it would be nice if you could bundle all expansions.. a DW: Gold package.. Then the game would get more reviews.. more players and more money for you.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 53
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/5/2012 4:57:48 PM   
Shark7

Hmm, shadows....

'What evil lurks within the hearts of men, the shadow knows.'

This sounds to me like it could be an expansion of the pirate/criminal factions in the game. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I would still love the ability for pirates (and players) to capture vessels, not just destroy them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Harrs)
Post #: 54
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/5/2012 9:02:44 PM   
w1p

capturing vessels and a boarding system would be great!

The only thing I want is for them to open up the modding side of things. Tech tree and component modification would be great!

Also the gold package for all the games is a great idea, although it would have to be valued at around the £60 mark which is a lot for new people to get into...

The trouble is bugs. I've put so many hours into this game, I have forgotten what bugs there are and think of them as features. Harrs has mentioned exploits and tech trading, I always let the AI set the tax rate (otherwise i end up with millions) and don't sell any technology (I only buy as I'm often behind!). What other bugs are there? :)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 55
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/6/2012 1:34:56 AM   
Hawawaa

Shadows... espionage features maybe... (like Rebellion and or what not) guessing here... can't wait for what ever it is.

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 56
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/6/2012 8:27:22 AM   
Sithuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrs

Please dont rush make it bugfree.. till end of the year ís not a lot of time... And take a look on the wishlist..
Eliminate the exploits with trading tech.. And please put real terraforming in..

Shadows sounds nice.. Maybe you could play a pirate fraction.. that would be funny.. You have to capture freighters and so on.
like the pirates game in the carribean haha :)
And it would be nice if you could bundle all expansions.. a DW: Gold package.. Then the game would get more reviews.. more players and more money for you.

Hars: there is no "rush" as such, the deadline is economically set. The deadline will be to release a few weeks prior to the Christmas holidays, pretty much independent of how many bugs remain. I'll still buy it as Elliot has demonstrated how strong his after market support is to deal with the bugs that the economically set deadline has not allowed him to correct.

(in reply to Harrs)
Post #: 57
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/8/2012 7:15:05 PM   
ASHBERY76

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 58
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/8/2012 7:32:27 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk
Hars: there is no "rush" as such, the deadline is economically set. The deadline will be to release a few weeks prior to the Christmas holidays, pretty much independent of how many bugs remain. I'll still buy it as Elliot has demonstrated how strong his after market support is to deal with the bugs that the economically set deadline has not allowed him to correct.

My 2p...

I agree entirely with this statement. Most games get a patch or two to alleviate the worst offending bugs, and then the publisher/dev is completely silent... till the next release, when they ask the consumer for more money.

Matrix has shown a commitment to fix the bugs in its games long after the release. This is sadly rare in the games industry. They've got my money!

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 59
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/10/2012 11:25:42 AM   
darcion

I know one other really good Developer and Publisher like matrix games and CodeForce. This is "Paradox Interactive", they push years after release patches and expansions out and they have a huge community. If they start a new game, after some progress they give us "development diaries", so everybody can see what is in.

maybe we can have this feature too, see what is currently in.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI