Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/11/2012 7:01:44 PM   
CyrusSpitama

quote:

Interesting Discussion Involving Decisions That Honestly Are Thought-provoking.

Simple idea of mine. I have many questions about decisions I make. I try to read the many AARs and Q&A that occur here, but minor details always make me wonder. So with smart bomb like precision, I am going to post a series of questions about very specific decisions I have made, that make me wonder. Please keep answers as focused as possible.

For this next subject, we have what I consider a clearer choice for the AK conversion. I present to you the Kongo Maru AMC class:

With the use of scout planes, this is an excellent addition to your amphib fleets while it last, in my opinion. However, I feel with the superior AA guns(as compared to other cargo ships), the Kongo Maru class begs to convert over to the AK option. Of course, this ship has other conversion options which you could utilize, saving you the hassle of removing a ship from your convoys to be converted. Either way, I consider this conversion a must, as soon as it becomes available.

Feedback? Questions?

Attachment (1)

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
Post #: 1
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/11/2012 8:25:14 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

aah the yusen cargo vessels

my favourite all purpose merchant

yep AMC and AV are the best conversions

in particular the AV Kamikawa Maru category

.. always seems like you could fit an emily on the front, and an emily on the back

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to CyrusSpitama)
Post #: 2
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/11/2012 8:54:14 PM   
CyrusSpitama

You are diverting off-topic slightly here :) I plan on AV discussions later as this series progresses. For now, I am focused on amphib capable shipping(specialized stuff, like AMCs and APDs), then migrating to cargo ships (which would incidentally include PBs), then to support(which includes many cargo conversions).

Also, you made me realize the photos are in reverse order. I must have been distracted at the time of creation. The AMC converts to the Kyushu class, not the other way around. The pics should explain this by the lack of the AMC button listed at the bottom of the screen but nonetheless, I hope this causes no confusion to folks not aware of that.

As for the question posed, I should have mentioned the only real loss here, in my rookie opinion, is the loss of the torp capability. Since it is low ammo and would require combat from a non-combat shipw tih 0 armor, I don't consider it a major loss.

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 10/11/2012 8:56:28 PM >

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/11/2012 11:08:32 PM   
Insano

My 0.02: No way I convert these 2 ships for a reason you just mentioned, torpedoes. There are only 5 Japanese AMC equipped with torpedoes. If I was going to convert any, those would be the last 5.

Post #: 4
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 1:11:02 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Torpedoes, float planes and 14cm guns ? I take it :) AKs are very nice but Japan has a good bunch.

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 5
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 3:21:36 AM   
Chickenboy

I agree with Frau Zeppelin, et. al. Torpedoes, float planes, nice guns-this is the exception that proves the rule otherwise. It's worth keeping as an AMC IMO.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 6
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 4:00:03 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Ahhhhhh... once again splashed in the face with mud. Excepting raiding, how would you utilize a non-armored ship like this AMC? One torp ammo (x2 launchers) plus the lack of armor appears to me a one hit wonder that is more likely to end up in Davy Jones' locker. True, those torps are awesome, but this ship has one good thing regarding combat imho, its endurance. Please add further feedback to this thread so I gain further understanding on these subtleties.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 6:41:32 AM   
Shark7

It's the float planes that keep me from converting them. How many standard AKs can provide their own ASW aircraft?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 8
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 11:21:02 AM   
GreyJoy

I convert ONLY those without the embedded patrol air groups.
Those with Jakes aboard are used early on for raiding and spotting enemy convoys (like glenn-equipped subs), while later they act like normal transports in Convoys but those 2 Jakes become usefull in order to keep the pesky enemy subs spotted and so neutralized.
For this pourpose i tend to have at least 1 AV in every big and important convoy. The AMCs are used in those convoys moving troops from Japan to CENTPAC, SOPAC and SWPAC, while the AVs are used for the fuel convoys coming from the DEI-SRA

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 12:37:12 PM   
Dili

Using the AVs in convoys with air group working should be considered gamey since they couldn't launch while going underway.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 10
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 12:57:11 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Using the AVs in convoys with air group working should be considered gamey since they couldn't launch while going underway.

They could and they did. Kamikawa Maru for example launched planes to intercept British planes while approaching Kota Bharu.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 10/12/2012 12:58:50 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 11
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 1:11:07 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Kamikawa%20Maru_t.htm

not only launch their own CAP / ASW, but also co-ordinated strikes in the solomons

rather bad for morale however.. to fly a pack of F1Ms into a swarm of F4Fs

unless you plan to ram them

Post #: 12
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 3:16:56 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

They could and they did. Kamikawa Maru for example launched planes to intercept British planes while approaching Kota Bharu.

Indeed. Modern Japanese AVs had catapults, and early war they constantly operated planes while underway. AVs used float planes for ASW, recon, CAP, ground attack...

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 13
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/12/2012 4:25:44 PM   
Shark7

For that matter, Langley should be able to operate underway as well, since it had a catapult and an elevator.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 14
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/13/2012 3:45:01 PM   
crsutton

No way I would convert a ship that can utilize valuable float planes. Forget the AA value as any merchant on either side caught by aircraft is going to get sunk....The additional AA is meaningless in this case. I find Japanese AMC rather useless as surface raiders except early in the game. But sometimes a couple of float planes on board can really help.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/13/2012 5:25:33 PM   
Dili

quote:

My mistake, you are right.

From Combined Fleet website seems only Kamoi and Notoro didn't had catapult.

< Message edited by Dili -- 10/13/2012 5:30:39 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 16
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/13/2012 5:38:48 PM   
Puhis

quote:

quote:

Also Akitsushima didn't have catapult. Akitsushima was flying boat tender and repair ship that didn't carry any planes.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 17
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/13/2012 5:52:38 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

akitsushima was a scaled back project

original concept was for flying boat carriers that could place them in the water
and magnify the "operation K" concept, of using flying boats for long-range strikes

there was a group in the IJNAF that saw the potential,
but the lackluster results of using submarines to refuel,
the others (yamamoto included) were not convinced

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 18
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/14/2012 5:02:58 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

quote:

quote:

Also Akitsushima didn't have catapult. Akitsushima was flying boat tender and repair ship that didn't carry any planes.

Yep, and technically in game Akitsushima should only carry a single H8K or H6K, not 4 regular Float planes.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 19
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/14/2012 11:05:28 PM   
CyrusSpitama

Hey guys, your comments are deviating off topic, but interesting comments nonetheless :) Be sure and bring those points up later when I cover AVs and conversions.

Back on topic: Since I am clearly wrong to rush to convert these AMCs (according to opinion so far anyhow), exactly how would y'all recommend using these AMCs ? Raiding I read is an option, but I am not messing with that against the AI. Once I am doing PBEM, I can consider raiding options. Currently, I use these AMCs to supplement the cover in amphib forces. They do very nicely at this function, often detecting many a sub I did not otherwise see (high skilled pilots helps here too). As a bonus, the guns help to pound those pesky roaches off the shores of my pretty little islands. As for a direct combat ship, I cannot see these as being very useful. A few bombs or shells and they should be sunk unless we are talking very minor shells/bombs.

Any additional feedback on the usage of these AMCs if I am not converting them? As always, I am humbled by the informed responses here on these forums. This is the exact reason I decided to start this Q&A series.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion - 10/15/2012 1:20:34 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

They can also be used for fast transports. Very handy imo.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> IDIDTHAT! Vol.2-Kongo AMC conversion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI