Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space in their current incarnations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space in their current incarnations? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 8/12/2012 6:59:47 PM   
towerbooks3192

I just got both Distant worlds and star ruler the other day and I pre-ordered Endless space I think about a month before released and never played it after the 30 mins I gave it during release day.

Star Ruler: It seems complex but in the end sort of not that deep. Pausable real-time is a plus for me since I am a TBS guy and could only tolerate RTS which involves more click fest than strategy. I love the galaxy in this game and the ability to put as many stars as you want. The ship designer is great though it took me a bit of time to wrap my head around it. Research is a bit messy however I am quite intrigue about the hunch/guess thing since I haven't seen something like that from a space 4x before. Will give it another shot and see how things really are but so far it is not looking good.

Endless Space: beautiful UI and I thought I would find the sort of space 4x equivalent to Civ V however the combat system is disappointing and not my cup of tea. The game is too shallow for my taste and it didn't hit the same balance of not being too simple and too complex but just right like master of orion 2. I had high hopes for this game but I am not sure if I could really give it a chance because of its combat system

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 31
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 8/12/2012 9:45:00 PM   
joeyeti

The Galactic Armory for Star Ruler was mentioned. From what I read it sounds impressive in its scope...
Does anyone have any experience in that vs. the stock SR game?

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 32
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 8/13/2012 9:15:36 AM   
AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

The Galactic Armory for Star Ruler was mentioned. From what I read it sounds impressive in its scope...
Does anyone have any experience in that vs. the stock SR game?

The GA Mod devs just released the updated mod yesterday (Aug 12, 2012) to work with the most recent version 1.2.1.0 of the game. So now folks who purchased it on Steam can try out the mod (the mod had to be updated to work with the most recent version of SR, which Steam automaticaly patches to) :)

I was reading the readme file, and wow That's a lot of changes! I'm going to try to find a summary of the mod to read

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 33
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 9/19/2012 12:25:31 AM   
Darkspire

One thing no one has mentioned ... THE LOADING

IMHO if you only have a small slot of time to play in then SR if you have a good few hours DW. I can load SR faster than I can blink and then set up a new game and be looking at the map within a minute or so, DW is click, go put the kettle on and set up the brew, come back click load game, go off and make the tea, come back and its done
There will always be different genres in gaming, look at cars for example, racing, rally, arcade etc. SR is an arcade version of 4x and DW is more akin to a sim, like music I dont care what it is as long as it has a good beat, lyrics and isnt jazz and I listen to different types depending what mood im in, same goes with my gaming, I really enjoy 4x and some days i want it light (SR) some days medium (GCII) and when im really up for head scratching (DW)

Darkspire

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 34
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 9/27/2012 10:18:59 AM   
adecoy95

Endless space has some really fun empire management, but the combat is not really all that interesting, plus the game wont hold your interest for very long, probably your standard expected 40 hours tho, it was definatly money well spent overall.

Star ruler on the other hand, i just could not get into at all, and i have tried on several occasions. it all just feels way too arbitrary. and its not exactly the nicest thing to look at, Aurora has a better interface than that game.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 35
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 9/29/2012 7:12:44 PM   
solops

I am trying to like Star Ruler. It has a lot of neat stuff, but the ship design system is aweful. I have almost every space 4x game ever done since Reach for the Stars on the Apple IIe and SR has the only ship design system that I have ever found virtually incomprehensible with regard to system requirements and effects. About the only good thing I can say about it is that ship design is incredibly flexible.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 36
RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space... - 10/11/2012 8:14:58 PM   
AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95
Star ruler on the other hand, i just could not get into at all, and i have tried on several occasions. it all just feels way too arbitrary. and its not exactly the nicest thing to look at, Aurora has a better interface than that game.

Are you kidding? Aurora has a better interface? Wow, Steve must really have changed the UI since version 5.14, which was the last version I played.

I have no problems with the Star Ruler UI.

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What are your views of Star Ruler and Endless Space in their current incarnations? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI