Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 9/30/2012 5:57:08 AM   
solops

As the title says, sit down and sum it up. I recently did and was staggered, and I know that I have missed some. I bought my first one in 1983. So far, I have counted: Reach for the Stars (twice), Imperium Galactum, Spaceward Ho!, Armada 2525, Armada 2526, MOO1+2+3, Space Empires 3+4+5, Ascendency, Stars!, Pax Imperia Eminent Domain, Star Wars Rebellion, Imperium Galactica I, Galactic Civilization I+II, Sword of the Stars (3 times), Sin of a Solar Empire, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler, Starflight , AI Wars, Aurora, Battlecruiser 3000, Starships Unlimited, Imperium. If there were expansions, I almost always bought them (except for SoaSE).

I don’t count Alpha Centauri as a space 4X, though I still have it. I also had Star Control, Star Trek/Star Fleet games, Independence Wars, Gratuitous Space Battles, Privateer 2 and some of the other role playing/combat/adventure space games that might not really count as 4X type games. Nor do I count the “flight sims” like Star Wars Tie Fighter (had many of those as well). Somewhere back in the late 1980's or early 1990's I remember the first game I ever saw with a real 3D galaxy map and I cannot remember its name. It was a single word, something like "Overlord" (not related to the recent fantasy game of that name)-IMPERIUM - thanks to Darkspire. It was the first game I ran into that required the assigning of governors and fleet commanders....did not care for it much in the end but it was fun while it was new.

It all adds up to a tidy sum. Edited to add forgotten titles.

< Message edited by solops -- 10/1/2012 4:30:06 AM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Post #: 1
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 9/30/2012 7:14:17 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

Somewhere back in the late 1980's or early 1990's I remember the first game I ever saw with a real 3D galaxy map and I cannot remember its name. It was a single word, something like "Overlord" (not related to the recent fantasy game of that name). It was the first game I ran into that required the assigning of governors and fleet commanders....did not care for it much in the end but it was fun while it was new.

Think this might be what you were on about ... Imperium
You seem to have missed Imperium Galactica II and Birth Of The Federation? Im sure you have missed others but those two stood out.

Darkspire

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 2
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 9/30/2012 2:00:14 PM   
ehsumrell1

Wow, what a thought!

Mine include around 80% of Solop's titles (including ALL of the Star Trek line of games, mostly
poor I regret saying, except Birth of the Federation and Starfleet Command IMO).

But I started my career/hobby/obsession (whatever one wishes to call it) with an unforgettable
classic.....STARFLIGHT!

Oh I still remember like yesterday the day I missed work because I misplaced my codewheel and
couldn't leave the Starport (Almost got fired for that one too, LOL!).

Yeah, that's a LOT of money! Much of it sitting on a shelf in front of me on top of my
computer desk I'm staring at right now!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 3
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/1/2012 4:25:41 AM   
solops

My gosh, how could I have forgotten STARFLIGHT!!!!! I cannot count the hours I spent on that game. And I even turned the wheel into a table so I could start playing faster (and in case I lost it). I will add that to the list.
Darkspire, you know, I think Imperium is it. I recognize the box. I am not sure about Imperium Galactica II and I know that I never had Birth Of The Federation, which everyone says was a great game.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 4
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/1/2012 4:59:57 PM   
Data

Woohoo, Starflight...I see you guys talk about this as your first love but I'm playing it right now. Damn glad to see these goldies still receiving the love they deserve.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 5
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/1/2012 5:50:36 PM   
Shark7

I don't even keep track of it, I buy a lot of them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 6
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/1/2012 6:39:13 PM   
twinkypillow

Hilarious how much money is spent on games.. and it's interesting to see which ones are the real deal when it comes to the test of time.. (master orion 2, Privateer, etc..)

I absolutely love the craziness of everything in Distant Worlds Legends.. and the "living" world so to speak.. with that in mind, Im looking for good fun with Empires (Diplomacy etc..) I really enjoy Legends in all aspects.. Sins and Swords look good..

Are these games worth playing? (a good way to answer might be to compare all of these to Distant worlds legends..)

1.Endless Space

2.Sins Rebellion

3.Legends Pegasus

4.Sword Stars II latest..

(for example I hear Endless space - the battles suck but good empire management and you'll get bored really fast.. ??)

thanks

< Message edited by pumkinfacer22 -- 10/1/2012 6:40:25 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/1/2012 8:09:47 PM   
ASHBERY76

SOTS2 is getting very close to being a very good game and in my view the first expansion pack will possibly make it truly great.

I bought EndlessSpace and think it's very bland in both gameplay mechanics and galaxy immersion.How this game got such good review scores by the gaming media I will never know.I think they play the game for a day and then score it based on pretty looks and UI.Longer play shows the lack of any depth.

Sins is an RTS game pretending to be a 4x so major web gaming sites give it good reviews.

(in reply to twinkypillow)
Post #: 8
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/1/2012 10:08:01 PM   
adecoy95

sins rebellion is a mini expansion pack for 3 times the price of the previous ones
endless space is a good buy, but a time will come when you wont have the urge to return to it again (its replay value is low)
i have heard nothing but bad things about legends of pegasus
sword of the stars 2 is good, but its not quite there yet, its worth buying on the cheap if you can get it tho.
keep an eye out for star drive

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/2/2012 11:57:56 PM   
unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: pumkinfacer22

I absolutely love the craziness of everything in Distant Worlds Legends.. and the "living" world so to speak.. with that in mind, Im looking for good fun with Empires (Diplomacy etc..) I really enjoy Legends in all aspects.. Sins and Swords look good..

It's really hard to compare them to DW, honestly, they're all pretty different.

But if you're a fan of the military side of DW definitely try SOTS1, that game really focuses on the battles and tries to keep everything else out of the way as much as possible. The races all play very differently from each other too, which is pretty rare in 4X games. Just be prepared for some, uh, interesting voice acting and UI.

Sins is pretty unique, it's a slower paced, large scale RTS with a lot of 4X conventions, and capital ships function like the hero units in Warcraft 3. Last time I played (Diplomacy, I think?) the game boiled down to lrf spam way too often, but it's good stuff. If you're a fan of RTS it's worth a shot.

Endless Space is pretty enjoyable, but right now the AI is so bad that it ruins it, and enough people have whined about the combat that I don't need to bother. I'm waiting for the expansion pack before I try it again, personally.

Post #: 10
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/3/2012 2:56:10 AM   
Frildin

(First post on this forum. Figured a massive text-wall would be appropriate)
(TL/DR Played a few 4Xs, Distant Worlds is the closest to the game I've always wanted to see.)

Also, hello to everyone here. I'm bad at self-introduction as can be seen.

I don't know how many I've had in the past and I know I've missed many of the 'classics' that came before my time. The big ones I remember owning are Birth of the Federation, Space Empires 3-5, MoO3, Sins, Stars!, Star Ruler, SOTS 1+2, and very recently DW. As for money spent, not sure of the exact amount.

As for favourite game, it wouldn't really be a single choice. I have fond memories of BotF as it was the first 4X I played. Kept me entertained for hours when I was younger despite constantly getting my behind handed to me (being 10-12 and all I had a limited grasp on some of the more complicated features). Ended up always having to play the Romulans as a pile of cloaked warbirds was about the only thing I found that could stop the Borg.

Space Empires 5 was my main 4x for a few years after it came out. Several friends played it with me but it kinda fell apart as the game was notoriously unbalanced and buggy.

Sins only lasted me a couple months of excessive playing. When it came out I was in my multi-year stint in Eve and it kinda had the majority of my gaming time. Sins was fun but as noted, it rapidly degraded (even at release) into LRM frigate spam for the TEC, Illuminator+Mothership spam for the Advant (back when Malice hit every ship in range), and rushing Returning Armada as the Vasari (since it had no cost back then). Entrenchment kinda ruined it for me in the long run. The starbases were just too powerful for their cost in my opinion. Haven't played since then.

I picked up SOTS 1 later, closer to the release of the second one. It's good but the AI could be a bit more difficult. I lost the first couple of rounds while I figured stuff out, but afterwards it got a bit easy. Haven't done anything with SOTS 2 yet. Still waiting for it to get patched into fully working order. Was going to start, but then I picked up DW.

quote:

ORIGINAL: unclean

...Just be prepared for some, uh, interesting voice acting and UI.

This comment is so true. I played as the Morrigi often and they have both one of the most... unique voicing and at the same time it can rapidly become the most annoying. Still loved playing them anyways though.

Lastly we have DW. Picked it up very recently. Maybe a month to a month and a half ago. I have to be very wary when I start playing it as it makes my day rapidly disappear. Suddenly it's time to get some sleep and I haven't even eaten dinner yet. Overall I'd have to say it's the closest to what I've ever wanted in a 4X game. The diplomacy, the unique attributes of different species (and being able to have a multi-species empire), the characters as of Legends, the big, looming super-empire threat, and pretty much everything else in the game. The only thing I wish it had was an option for multi-player, even if it required the game to not pause while using the various screens.

Overall, I haven't played as many as most people here probably, but it's still enough that I can't remember how much I actually spent (mostly due to not remembering the prices at the time more then anything though).

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 11
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/5/2012 12:05:27 PM   
wozza

I don't know how much i have spent. All i am concern about is that i support the small gave dev and Publisher. After all these guys are the ones who don't impose restrictions on the user and they also give you support and are keeping the pc alive.

When i am on other forums and there are people complaining about EA or AB i tell them to forget about them and spend there hard earn money at Matrix Games.

< Message edited by wozza -- 10/5/2012 12:08:57 PM >

(in reply to Frildin)
Post #: 12
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/9/2012 5:09:42 AM   
twinkypillow

quote:

ORIGINAL: unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: pumkinfacer22

I absolutely love the craziness of everything in Distant Worlds Legends.. and the "living" world so to speak.. with that in mind, Im looking for good fun with Empires (Diplomacy etc... Sins and Swords look good..

But if you're a fan of the military side of DW definitely try SOTS1, that game really focuses on the battles and tries to keep everything else out of the way as much as possible. The races all play very differently from each other too, which is pretty rare in 4X games. Just be prepared for some, uh, interesting voice acting and UI.

quote:

ok.. I've pretty much come to the conclusion I think I will try Sins latest game.. and Sword Stars II...

I dont know why I would go back to Sword Stars I when II is out.. hopefully the military battles are fine in the second game out!

apparently there is nothing else out that is worth playing now-a-days...

Legends pegasus absolutely is pointless as it doesnt work according to everyone and its turn-based.. I guess there is only a few races etc.. sounds like a total stay away .. and the videos look boring that ive watched on it..

So sword stars II and sins rebellion look like all there is when it comes to recent space games as fun as distant worlds... other than that i'm looking forward to the next update/expansion for distant worlds..

Legends Pegasus - no buy..
Sins Rebellion - Buy / between Sword II and Sins... not sure which one..
Sword Stars II - Buy / between Sins and Sword II... not sure which one
Star Ruler - seems too old.. not buying
Endless Space - Seems ok from videos but everybody says it gets boring and must not be that "living world" like i mentioned in the first post.. so NOt buying...

< Message edited by pumkinfacer22 -- 10/9/2012 5:13:20 AM >

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 13
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/9/2012 4:08:37 PM   
ravincravin

All of you guys repeat after me! "I'm a space game junkie".

One of my first was Star General from SSI which hasn't been mentioned. I have most of which you guys listed but there are a lot of holes like MOO 1&2. Where was I when they came out? Alas and alack.

Post #: 14
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/9/2012 6:37:05 PM   
w1p

I think it's safe to say everybody on these forums, probably everybody who plays DW is a space junkie.

STARS! and spacebucks were my early time-consumers, but like most i've played pretty much every 4x that comes out. How much £ have I spent? I actually dread to think....

(in reply to ravincravin)
Post #: 15
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/9/2012 9:21:45 PM   
twinkypillow

Oh my god.. i just played sins solar empire trinity over a friends house and it has got to be one of the worst space games ever.. Does nothing compared to Homeworld.. and how old is that? It feels so restricted and just ridiculous.. what a horrible game..

thank god i found out im not purchasing the new rebellion game.. ha. I'll gladly stick to distant worlds.. It really shows that nothing else is fun after playing distant worlds..

I guess im left with Sword of the Stars II to try during my downtime while not playing distant worlds..

I was just thinking.. tell me how crazy it would be if they created distant worlds where you could be a ship in the world that players create.. in 3d.. and you could join a fleet etc.. trade.. kind of like X3 universe type game but with Distant Worlds setting and options etc.. meanwhile though players would be controlling colonies and all on top of you.. talk about Massive Online Multiplayer.. and they could easily make money by having players purchase upgrades and/or special create ships only if you pay etc.. who do i talk to??

< Message edited by pumkinfacer22 -- 10/9/2012 9:26:45 PM >

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 16
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/9/2012 11:10:21 PM   
WoodMan

I have Sins of a Solar Empire, Gal Civ II and Distant Worlds and its add-ons
I also have Alpha Centauri, but that doesn't really count as space I guess.

I'm a mere novice compared to you people!

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Post #: 17
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/10/2012 2:13:49 PM   
Mundy

I had started with the old Avalon Hill game Stellar Conquest.  I felt like an accountant.  Imagine tallying up all those production numbers by hand -- with multipliers and such.

My only other game besides DW was the old Lucasarts Rebellion (Star Wars grand strategy).  Maybe not a "pure" 4x game, but it was pretty close with systems to explore and production to manage.  If the populace was getting edgy, keeping a Death Star in that sector would keep those citizens cooled down a bit.  Actually using one wouldn't be so good, so the threat meant more than the execution.

Ed-

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 18
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/10/2012 10:15:36 PM   
clifford1944

"I'm a space game junkie"

I wish I could say that about me. I remember Starflight and Lightspeed and then said to my wife I am going to stay with Space games. Somewhere along the way I got side tracked with Panzer General and Steel Panthers. I have just bought Panzer C Ostfront on it's last sale. Even though I enjoy war I am wanting to buy AI War Alien bundle. So the space genre is calling to me. I tried to play Alpha Centuari but it beat me up.

I am going to get Armada and Distant Worlds. Plus Smugglers 5 is almost out. Psst can anyone tell me if Matrix is going to have a Christmas sale at almost 50% off this year? I could really stock up.

A little time on the Eastern Front will clear his head. General Burkhalter

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 19
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/11/2012 8:00:50 PM   
Rykker

Jeez... gonna be a long list...
AI Wars
Endless Space
Space Ruler
Overlord
Maelstrom
Millennium: Return to Earth
Master of Orion 1,2 & 3
Star Control 3 (Quasi 4X)
Ascendancy
Sword of the Stars 1 & 2 + expansions
Sins of a Solar Empire + expansions
Pax Imperia Eminent Domain
Imperium Galactica II
Star General (Quasi 4X)
Star Legions (Quasi 4X)
Birth of the Federation
Star Wars Rebellion
Armada 2525
Space Empires 4 & 5
Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2
Stelcon 3
Spaceward Ho!
Stars!
VGA Planets!
Emperor of the Fading Suns

and of course Distant Worlds + expansions

Not to mention all the 4X Space board games...
Imperium
Dark Nebula
Imperium 3rd Millenium
Throne World
Stellar Conquest
Space Empires
Eve Conquest
Battletech Succession Wars
Twilight Imperium
Federation & Empire

Ugh... and that's just 4X.... not to mention the rest of the games I have, both PC and Board:
Can I return these and get 34 years of life credited back to my account? UGH.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to clifford1944)
Post #: 20
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/11/2012 9:04:48 PM   
AndonSage

So how many people are aware that the term "4X" was coined by Alan Emrich for Master of Orion?

Based on this list of 4x video games, my first 4x game was Spaceward Ho!. I still have a shrinkwrapped copy of that game :) It's a red box with "The space race will never be the same" at the top, and "Spaceward Ho!" over "A Game of Stellar Conquest" at the bottom of the box. It's the Windows 95 version. I got it for free from somewhere.

I do have Reach for the Stars, which came out before Spaceward Ho!, but my copy is the Windows 95 version.

So my list of 4x sci-fi games, based on the wikipedia list, in order of publication:
  • Reach for the Stars
  • Spaceward Ho!
  • Master of Orion
  • Ascendancy
  • Stars!
  • Emperor of the Fading Suns
  • Master of Orion 2
  • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire
  • Space Empires IV
  • GalCiv w/ all expansions
  • Master of Orion III
  • GalCiv II w/ all expansions
  • Space Empires V
  • Sword of the Stars w/ all expansions
  • Sins of a Solar Empire w/ first two expansions
  • Distant Worlds w/ all expansions
  • Star Ruler
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Endless Space

Then other sci-fi strategy games:
  • Star Control III
  • Starflight
  • Starflight II

And last, I want to mention a sci-fi exploration/RPG game that I wonder if anyone else played :) Star Saga. I have both One and Two :)

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Rykker)
Post #: 21
RE: How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? - 10/11/2012 9:13:04 PM   
Darkspire

I thought I was bad
Built my first computer late 70's, think ive had every system since, anyone remember the Enterpriseback in the mid 80's? If that had taken off the 4x era might have arrived sooner and we would be about 25 years ahead of where we are now ...

Respect

Darkspire

(in reply to Rykker)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How much Money have YOU spent on 4x Space games? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI