Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 1:37:12 AM   
Brainsucker

a wonder

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 121
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 4:07:00 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Okay, it is time to resume an old argument... an oldy but a goody...

Who would win, the Federation that considers a dunebuggy a major weapons system...
OR
Well 1 picture...

Data, if you use an ATTE, you might just get that ale and not sand in your face...

For the new folks on the forum... this is a friendly old game...
AND it is one that I usually loose... but end up laughing myself silly at someone's joke.

C'mon TJ....Doesn't the Empires most feared Imperial Walker come tumbling down with only a cable wrapped around it's legs?

FEAR THE ARMED FEDERATION BUGGY!

Attachment (1)

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 122
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 7:02:30 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

Who would win, the Federation that considers a dunebuggy a major weapons system...
OR
Well 1 picture...

Data, if you use an ATTE, you might just get that ale and not sand in your face...

AND it is one that I usually loose... but end up laughing myself silly at someone's joke.

C'mon TJ....Doesn't the Empires most feared Imperial Walker come tumbling down with only a cable wrapped around it's legs?

Heh, who need walkers anyway? Just blast it from orbit with the Death Star, easiest way to be sure.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 123
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 9:35:49 AM   
ASHBERY76

A naval acadamy.What could that mean in gameplay terms.Experience for ships now included?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 124
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 11:05:23 AM   
Nedrear

NAVAL academy, not space academy. After the tank factory this definetly proves an improved planet area battle.

Either you now need troops depending on the type of planet to invade (navy for ocean planets) or we get war zones on a planet.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 125
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 11:19:25 AM   
ASHBERY76

The graphic shows space ships and not boats in a harbour.In sci fi terminology naval usually means your space fleet,hence frigate,destroyer,tec.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 126
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 1:22:27 PM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Here's one more...

looks kinda like a victory picture

but the attachment description pretty much gives that one away

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 10/17/2012 1:25:46 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 127
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 1:37:46 PM   
feelotraveller

A pair of wonders which give empire wide bonuses to ground and space combat. 

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 128
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 1:50:59 PM   
ASHBERY76

Is it a different artist? It looks a very basic when compared to the previous expansions art.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 10/17/2012 2:14:29 PM >

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 129
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 2:17:38 PM   
Bingeling

Apart from the stuff overhead, it looks like a mediocre regional capital kind of building :)

Enhanced ground combat (with flying elements) is the most logical conclusion indeed. As for troops, I have always thought of them as very abstracted force units. It is not like a civilization jumping between stars would drop 20000 guys with assault rifles to reenact the Vietnam War (even they had a bit more)...

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 130
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 3:30:59 PM   
WiZz

One more small unknown picture - another wave of speculation begins...

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 131
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/17/2012 5:36:30 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Apart from the stuff overhead, it looks like a mediocre regional capital kind of building :)

Enhanced ground combat (with flying elements) is the most logical conclusion indeed. As for troops, I have always thought of them as very abstracted force units. It is not like a civilization jumping between stars would drop 20000 guys with assault rifles to reenact the Vietnam War (even they had a bit more)...

Agreed.I did not see the "troop" as an infantry brigade but a whole combined army.I have issues with independent unit types at this scale.A wargame style structure should be used.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 10/17/2012 5:37:22 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 132
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/18/2012 11:51:18 AM   
w1p

Has anyone considered that perhaps the naval academy is to increase experience for your individual ships???

I know that Troops increase in strength the more their use eg. experience, perhaps they've added in the same for ships now.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 133
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/18/2012 12:52:23 PM   
towerbooks3192

Just came back here to check on this forum about the september announcement. Heck I visited matrix time and time again for the said announcement to the point that I got hooked into 3 of your wargames and frequent their forums.

So.......

other than the images, there are no official "hey we are going to release this and that on this date and it would cost that much" ?

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 134
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/18/2012 5:44:03 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
quote:

OR
Well 1 picture...

I have only one thing to say to this:
Red Shirt
How many of them have died and it was not even wartime.
They make Imperial Stormtroopers look like brain trusts...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 135
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/18/2012 5:47:23 PM   
tjhkkr

I cannt believe someone actually did this as a powerpoint presentation...
Someone did this as a slide at a Star Trek Convention
I found it looking up 'evidence' for my Red Shirt Claim.

I could not download the slide, but the same blog said your probability of survival as a red shirt goes up considerably if Captain Kirk finds female companionship planetside...
I am not sure what that meant, but hey...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 10/18/2012 5:50:28 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 136
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/19/2012 4:50:57 AM   
Hawawaa

Ok Sots 2 is now All Clear... now I stalk and wait for more info on new expansion...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 137
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/19/2012 5:25:17 AM   
RaffleSnaffle

I'm way too excited for this than I probably should be..

I need to start dating again..

Nah

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 138
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/19/2012 12:31:45 PM   
ASHBERY76

It is time for the feature list.

(in reply to RaffleSnaffle)
Post #: 139
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/19/2012 3:31:38 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
It is time for the feature list.

That would be fun...

Another picture would be cool too...

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 140
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/19/2012 3:38:50 PM   
jpwrunyan

I hope the troop display on the planet will now tell you the number of troops instead of squeezing a hundred troop icons together expecting me to actually count them.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 141
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/19/2012 4:43:56 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

I hope the troop display on the planet will now tell you the number of troops instead of squeezing a hundred troop icons together expecting me to actually count them.

lol, me too! Such a tincy, tiny little issue but actually oh so incredibly annoying.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 142
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/22/2012 10:33:02 AM   
jpwrunyan

I crave more...

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 143
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/22/2012 3:14:37 PM   
darcion

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

lol, me too! Such a tincy, tiny little issue but actually oh so incredibly annoying.

i will top this a little bit.

if we get more intelligence options, we can see after success infiltration the strength of the troops + the number of platoons.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 144
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/22/2012 7:08:19 PM   
Ralzakark

quote:

ORIGINAL: darcion
if we get more intelligence options, we can see after success infiltration the strength of the troops + the number of platoons.

Excellent idea of the 'Now why didn't I think of that?' sort.

(in reply to darcion)
Post #: 145
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/22/2012 8:39:31 PM   
Algoritm

quote:

I can imagine a: "To my dearest enemy, please line up your troops so that I can estimate the right amount of forces to land on your planet. Thank you"

More seriously, the current troop display is fine and quite realistic, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a 'spy on troops' option added.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 146
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/22/2012 9:42:22 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Algoritm
More seriously, the current troop display is fine and quite realistic, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a 'spy on troops' option added.

Fine and realistic???

A planet defended by 50 or 500 or 5000 units; being indistinguishable between them - is "realistic"?

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 147
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/23/2012 10:45:20 AM   
jpwrunyan

Just so.
The original intent was not to obfuscate the number of troops at high quantities. It was just a design snafu. If they want to keep the number unknown they could just say "over 50" or "50-100" and it would still be superior to the current display. Might as well show no troops at all the way it is now. That would at least settle the matter. But the half-assed display we have now just annoys me.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 148
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/23/2012 12:26:08 PM   
w1p

+1 what jpwrunyan said

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 149
RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? - 10/23/2012 7:27:52 PM   
Shark7

I think the folks wanting it to be clearer are wanting it that way more for aesthetics than wanting to know actual numbers. You could even have a simple 'Light' or 'Heavy' icon for troop level displays.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Wasn't there going to be an announcement in September? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI