Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where have you been hiding this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Where have you been hiding this game? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:15:09 PM   
akvilonn

The Matrix games team, as publishers, did a very poor job of getting this game out to the public.
Why do I, and many others, space strategy fans, have to find out about this game through pure luck and commends on
third party sites? Where is Steam? Where is GameSpot or any other major game outlets?

Playing GalCiv, Space empires, Stars, Master of Orion, Imperium Galactica, Sins of solar empires, endless space and many others, this game has totally unique, space opera style and scale I have never seen in other games. Nor did I encounter any information of this awesome game before. And omg it is in real time plus, greatly mod-able and has complete automation if needed!

Yes it takes some time to learn and get used to, but hey, the game beats anything else I have seen. It should be making tons of money and outrun competition, and developer be working on the improved and new sequel.

Instead, it is as stale water, Matrix people just hoping on random traffic with zero advertising effort.
Some rant, I know, but COME ON. If I had a product like this, I would make sure it reaches the rest of us who never knew of this awesome game.
Post #: 1
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:33:05 PM   
Shark7

This discussion has been debated before.

I do agree more advertising would be good. Need to get it out to the reviewers like Gamespot etc. However, I do not agree that Steam is a good idea. It would either cut into the developers profits or cost the end user more...plus I just loathe services like Steam and Origin...way too intrusive for my tastes.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to akvilonn)
Post #: 2
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:33:29 PM   
RaffleSnaffle

Amen.

Found this game out from a random youtube video I watched awhile ago. (Forgot how I even got there..)

This is the best game for this genre I have ever played and DESERVES a lot more attention than it gets. great community, great devs, great game.

(in reply to akvilonn)
Post #: 3
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:35:01 PM   
RaffleSnaffle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I do agree more advertising would be good. Need to get it out to the reviewers like Gamespot etc. However, I do not agree that Steam is a good idea. It would either cut into the developers profits or cost the end user more...plus I just loathe services like Steam and Origin...way too intrusive for my tastes.

Hmm why do you feel that way? It's disappointing you don't own the hard copies of games when bought on steam, but I love steam. And so many people use it. This game would be a good greenlight candidate.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:43:15 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: RaffleSnaffle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Hmm why do you feel that way? It's disappointing you don't own the hard copies of games when bought on steam, but I love steam. And so many people use it. This game would be a good greenlight candidate.

Because I really don't like any program on my computer that snoops through my files for someone else. It is a violation of my privacy...plus programs like that are always a back door to be subverted for nefarious purposes (IE some hacker could take it over as a back door through your firewall). I just do not like it, and that won't be changing. I trust no one.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to RaffleSnaffle)
Post #: 5
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:58:05 PM   
akvilonn

Before it turns into eternal Steam vs No steam or hard copy vs soft copy flame,
my point is simple - market for Space 4X games has run dry for years now with one disappointment after another for such genre (legends of pegasus for example)
Distant worlds brought a showcase how it must be done. Flaws here and there, maybe making it more appealing through better work from art department,
and with no real competition I don't see why it should not be a classic blockbuster.
Matrix - do your homework, you don't put a lighthouse in a desert where no ship can sail!

< Message edited by akvilonn -- 10/23/2012 10:59:29 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/23/2012 10:59:46 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: akvilonn

my point is simple - market for Space 4X games has run dry for years now with one disappointment after another for such genre.
Distant worlds brought a showcase how it must be done. Flaws here and there, maybe making it more appealing through better work from art department,
and with no real competition I don't see why it should not be a classic blockbuster.
Matrix - do your homework, you don't put a lighthouse in a desert where no ship can sail!

Like I said, I agree it needs more advertising. In any form. And I don't care where else they sell it, so long as I can still buy it here and request a physical copy (yep, had to reinstall from my CD a couple months ago when my old PC got fried by lightning).

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to akvilonn)
Post #: 7
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/24/2012 1:33:21 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: akvilonn

my point is simple - market for Space 4X games has run dry for years now with one disappointment after another for such genre (legends of pegasus for example)

Welcome!

When the original came out, I think most folks on here posted around the 'net about the game, same thing when the two expansions came out (do you have either/both of those?).

Also, you do know there is yet another expansion in the works right now don't you?
This will be yet another chance for the word to be spread.

It would be nice to have better exposure, but it is what it is.

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 10/24/2012 1:34:37 AM >

(in reply to akvilonn)
Post #: 8
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/24/2012 4:45:52 AM   
adecoy95

distant worlds: shadows as a stanalone expansion for 30 bucks on steam would sell really well, imo

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 9
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/24/2012 5:05:19 AM   
bryanhbell

I found out about Distant Worlds when another player suggested it on reddit. I've done my best to give this game further exposure there by creating a subreddit for the game:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DistantWorlds

< Message edited by bryanhbell -- 10/24/2012 2:32:25 PM >

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 10
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/24/2012 1:04:30 PM   
Haree78

I plonk the name Distant Worlds in most best 4X discussions. It often gets ignored and sometimes gets some odd replies, I once saw someone wrote in reply to me "Distant Worlds felt gooey", how do I even reply to that? lol
I usually think my messages get ignored because people consider me to be a crank who likes a fringe title because they haven't heard of it before. I hope though that it does lead some people in this direction.

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 11
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/24/2012 1:57:27 PM   
jpwrunyan

I think the cost of advertising might be too high. But advertising on google ads might be worth it considering the target audience. I remember years ago discovering travian (browser game) just from ads on other game and programming forum sites. And like Piratebay.com and torrent sites are advertising space browser games as well. Seems a good target to me.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 12
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/24/2012 9:35:31 PM   
Algoritm

quote:

Where have you been hiding this game?

I remember thinking the exact same thing when I found this game, and a good thing I found it too.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 13
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 1:24:58 AM   
adecoy95

*puts on hipster glasses* i heard about this game before it released.

but then again i tend to follow the space game scene really closely

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 14
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 5:49:28 AM   
wozza

I really get annoyed when people come on here and demand to have Steam. The main reason i purchased the game was because i didn't like Steam and DW didn't have any restrictive DRM. When you come on here please stop asking for Steam you know it isn't available and it wont be coming anytime soon.

As others have pointed out Steam charge a hefty premium which would cut into the development of the game.

As for advertizing i do my best tell people on other forums about Matrix and the game. Word of mouth is the best form of advertizing you can get. This is Maxtrix business model and it works well for them and they are happy with it.

Also take in mind that Steam may not even approve the game. Many games do get rejected by Steam.

< Message edited by wozza -- 10/25/2012 6:00:15 AM >

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 15
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 8:04:26 AM   
bryanhbell

quote:

ORIGINAL: wozza
The main reason i purchased the game was because i didn't like Steam

That's a strange reason to buy a game. :)

I think asking why a game isn't available on Steam is a natural question to ask. Like it or not, Steam is the dominant distribution method these days for PC games. And it isn't by accident that the platform is so popular. It contains many features that PC gamers love and executes most of them quite well. The gaming community hated Steam when it first launched, but Valve gradually won the community over by addressing many of their issues and adding features that significantly enhanced gameplay. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Does it enforce a DRM scheme? Yep. But many, many gamers feel the benefits of Steam far outweigh its shortcomings.

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 16
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 9:24:58 AM   
wozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell

quote:

The main reason i purchased the game was because i didn't like Steam

That's a strange reason to buy a game. :)

I think asking why a game isn't available on Steam is a natural question to ask. Like it or not, Steam is the dominant distribution method these days for PC games. And it isn't by accident that the platform is so popular. It contains many features that PC gamers love and executes most of them quite well. The gaming community hated Steam when it first launched, but Valve gradually won the community over by addressing many of their issues and adding features that significantly enhanced gameplay. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Does it enforce a DRM scheme? Yep. But many, many gamers feel the benefits of Steam far outweigh its shortcomings.

Its not really strange. Steam is a third party app which i don't want on my machine. It also contains DRM. One of the reasons why Matrix is very successful is because they don't have Steam and no DRM
and they have very good customer service and very little piracy or none at all.

Yes Steam has a monopoly which is why EA try to take them over though i must admit i am glad Valve told EA to get lost.

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 17
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 10:47:10 AM   
bryanhbell

quote:

Its not really strange. Steam is a third party app which i don't want on my machine. It also contains DRM. One of the reasons why Matrix is very successful is because they don't have Steam and no DRM
and they have very good customer service and very little piracy or none at all.

Yes Steam has a monopoly which is why EA try to take them over though i must admit i am glad Valve told EA to get lost.

Well, I meant it seems strange to me to buy a game just because it isn't on Steam or is DRM free. I usually buy games because they look like they might be fun to play.

I doubt Matrix Games' success is primarily attributable to avoiding Steam or DRM. Publishing good games and offering good support might be more central to any success they enjoy.

While Steam might enjoy a powerful position as the dominant distribution platform for PC games, it is far from a monopoly. There are still many other viable distribution methods for games that compete successfully for the gaming dollar, from Origin and GOG to retail and consoles.

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 18
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 11:17:01 AM   
wozza

My philosophy is this. If the game is on steam or if it contains any DRM which requires activation i will not buy it i don't care how good the game is.

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 19
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 3:24:08 PM   
Red_Dwarf

I found DW like this: Downloaded SotS II, ran into same problem I had with SOTS I - disorientation and headaches when empire grew over a certain size. Too much micromanagement.
Found ES. Even on Easy I was constantly scrambling and fighting to keep up. Ragequit.
Google search for 4x mentioned DW in a blurb. I had bought some Matrixgames years ago, so I looked into it. I bought vanilla DW, liked it so I went all-out.

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 20
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 4:25:54 PM   
Satosky

Been a long time lurker/fan of DW and thought I'd add in my opinion. This is in my opinion one of the best 4X games out on the market at the moment and I for one believe it deserves much more recognition. The big problem is that the game suffers from a lack of publicity and isn't widely known among many people. Being a major fan of this game I want to see it succeed and grow into something much bigger and awesome but to do that they will need money and and fans. I honestly think that we should make a really interesting review or lets play video and somehow get it featured on a popular website like r/gaming on Reddit or maybe get one of the major game reviewers on youtube to review it. Steam greenlight isn't a bad idea either although it appears many people share a dislike of steam but I believe any publicity of DW is good publicity.

< Message edited by Satosky -- 10/25/2012 4:26:21 PM >

(in reply to Red_Dwarf)
Post #: 21
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 5:41:40 PM   
WoodMan

I found out about DW a couple of years back on the SINS forum. Somebody made a post titled something like "so what do you think of Distant Worlds?" and most of the replies were something like "What on earth is Distant Worlds?"

I'm very happy with the way things are with the game and the community. Modern online communities have gone down the toilet, I can't stand the BF3 forums, they make me furious, so bad I'm trying not to go back to them anymore, YouTube is the same, ever seen a comment that was not incoherent, insulting or racist in some way? Nope me neither. Call me a boring old fart but I like the smaller community and I like the attitude that smaller companies have towards their customers too.

As for Steam, I'm in the "No" camp but I do have it on my computer and I do use it. It is not that I don't like it, I just find it inconvenient and unecessary. For example, I bought the Walking Dead from TellTale games. Believe it or not is was cheaper on their website than on Steam, also I don't need to start Steam to run it, also I can install it on the family computer which does not have Steam installed. If I had bought it on Steam I would have paid more, needed to have a third party program running to play it and not been able to use it on my other computer.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Satosky)
Post #: 22
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 6:06:55 PM   
Satosky

I don't really care for having it on steam either as I have many games that aren't on steam as well. My main hope is to spread the word about this game honestly.

Also I believe we saw the same topic on the Sins forum Woodman.

< Message edited by Satosky -- 10/25/2012 6:14:20 PM >

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 23
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 8:05:10 PM   
Blueberry

Don't have steam... Don't care for it. Love DW. Thanks YouTube. YouTube ...yeah... Don't like it either. Not what it used to be. Seems like nowadays, the average intelligence of the YouTube community is very much similar to severe mental retardation of a dying rat.

About DW though, the game has style and character that is unique and overwhelmingly attractive to any decent strategy gamer. Love it and appreciate the support and the community. Shame that today the majority of games are too dumbed down and simple. Bought xcom a couple of days ago. It is a goog game but represents exactly what I am talking about. Dumbed down a bit. A lot actually. Xenonauts perhaps....we'll see.

There...phew...feel much better now.... Who needs a shrink anyway...

(in reply to Satosky)
Post #: 24
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 9:13:01 PM   
Algoritm

Don't blame the Youtube community, it's only a small minority of silly people that post provocative comments that encourage silly responses.

DW is a game that can't possibly attract that kind of people... I hope

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 25
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 9:27:47 PM   
Bingeling

The tone on any forum seems quite negative to me, unless there is a rather small crowd like on this one. Youtube for sure got a large enough crowd.

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 26
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 10:23:50 PM   
RaffleSnaffle

quote:

My philosophy is this. If the game is on steam or if it contains any DRM which requires activation i will not buy it i don't care how good the game is.

Do you consider a cd key DRM? Because you need one before you install DW

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 27
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/25/2012 10:30:47 PM   
RaffleSnaffle

I don't get this anti steam stuff.

Matrix would for SURE make positive cashflow if this game was on steam. The market for GOOD 4x games is too small not to make any money.

Plus, steam is good about having sales and makes it simple to recommend this game on steam to all of the people I have as friends on there as well.

Ok that's enough from me! Maybe if there ever is a DW 2 they will be a lot better (and more well equipped) at marketing this series.

Post #: 28
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/26/2012 3:07:25 AM   
wozza

quote:

quote:

Do you consider a cd key DRM? Because you need one before you install DW

Yes but the difference is i don't have to use a third party app and nor do i need to activate it online. So the CD key isn't a issue.

Post #: 29
RE: Where have you been hiding this game? - 10/26/2012 3:26:51 AM   
wozza

quote:

I don't get this anti steam stuff.

Matrix would for SURE make positive cashflow if this game was on steam. The market for GOOD 4x games is too small not to make any money.

Plus, steam is good about having sales and makes it simple to recommend this game on steam to all of the people I have as friends on there as well.

Ok that's enough from me! Maybe if there ever is a DW 2 they will be a lot better (and more well equipped) at marketing this series.

I don't understand why the pro Steam are trying to push Matrix into having Steam. All you have to do is buy the game from Matrix or GG no third party software needed.

Matrix may may make a positive cash flow and it may not they would be taking a risk using Steam. While they would get exposure the profit margins would be less for Matrix and the developer. Also if they were going to use Steam they also would have to make a non Steam version which means more work for the dev as far as patches are concern.

As i have said before this is Matrix business model they are happy with it and they have loyal supporters. Why fix something when it isn't broken.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Where have you been hiding this game? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI