Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Utah to Rhine Opening Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to Rhine Opening Scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utah to Rhine Opening Scenario - 2/1/2001 9:55:00 AM   
JKG

Wild Bill- thanks for a devilish opener that was a joy to play (multiple times)! Core Force 1FO then 3X- Rifle CO HQ Rifle Plt 30cal MMG Sec 76mm AT Sec Lt Truck Sec M10 Sec Aux 2 Mot Recon Plt 3 Plt Med Truck 1 Battery 155 2 Battery 75 Reinforcements 1 Rifle Plt 1 Halftrack Plt Three pronged attack with equally divided forces. Southern attack caught up to the PIV's and PV's before they moved out and engaged with rear shots and destroyed all except 1 PV. Then proceeded to assist with final assualt on town. Middle Force cleared small houses and victory hex closest to beach. Infantry moved on to support airborn assault on town. M10's stayed back to assist with Ger amour coming up from the south. Northern Force supported northern most airborn plt then both moved to support assualt on town. Reinforcements bought on T10 and supported final assualt on town and provided more secure mobility for infantry over the vulnerable soft trucks. A sec of M10's and the Mech Plt were the only ones to make it to the last row of victory hexes. The foot infantry couldn't advance any farther than the first row due to lack of time. Oops forgot the special forces section I bought that wiped out the pillboxes in the town. Took me two previous tries and someone else's post to think of it Result decisive victory 8804 to 757 on last turn of game. Observations/Questions 1) Did you plan to place bell towers/observation posts in the town? I noticed several building with 100+ height. I figured it out b/c they were able to shoot at my advancing infantry over the smoke screen laid by OB Arty. 2) I noticed during the AI's turn that several of my units would take apparent satchel charge hits and start my turn routed. These units were in my rear and I never detected any Ger around firing on them. Usually you know when you are spotted by the asterix, but it was not present. Any thoughts on these mysterious assaults? 3) The scenario seemed to end on T19, not 20 as listed. On two previous attempts, I ended up 1 turn short, thinking there was one more turn to play. 4) Mines are everywhere. I would be moving my troopers along then out of nowhere BOOM! I jumped each time, scared the mess out of me. Nice touch. 5) German special ops were a bear to kill. I had to move a unit on top of them, kill one and hope they would surrender. They were crack shots, very deadly. 6) Must have been reserve crews driving the Ger armored forces. Very easy to dispatch with available airborn and AT guns. I found the infantry much harder to deal with. 7) OB arty is so unreliable, it makes it a dicey proposition to buy. It was difficult to fire more than 1/2 of the total rounds in 20 turns. Even so, high caliber arty MADE the difference. Only way to take the town. 8) Ranger special forces. I could not assign the Ranger 30cal MMG to infiltrate. You buy them as special forces, but it seemed only the infantry could be assigned infiltration targets. On to the next one. I'm sure it will be as enjoyable as the last. Thanks again for putting together what appears to be a great campaign.

Post #: 1
- 2/2/2001 12:14:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Your strategy was very sound, JKG! Congratulations. Some answers for you. 1. I did not intentionally make those tall buildings, but once they were there, I liked them and left them. 2. I don't know about these satchel charge attacks. There were no special forces in the battle. Unless German units were there undetected. Did you ever see them? 5. The paras were elite while many of the Wehrmacht were less experienced. Ambushes are always fun 6. I'm becoming increasingly aware of the power of artillery. I think it is has a very good representation in this game. Glad you enjoyed the first one. It is quite replayable, with various tactical options. Keep me posted on your progress. Good report. Wild Bill Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 2
- 2/2/2001 2:23:00 AM   
JKG

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Some answers for you. 1. I did not intentionally make those tall buildings, but once they were there, I liked them and left them. 2. I don't know about these satchel charge attacks. There were no special forces in the battle. Unless German units were there undetected. Did you ever see them?
1. I think I like the way the tall buildings turned out. In every town there is a dominent architectural feature. The only downside here was the fact that several engineer squads occupied the building instead of a sniper or two. Much more deadly. It would be great if someone would design a building graphic that would match the concept. 2. The suprise attacks were very strange. I never saw any troops and my units were never under observation (no asterix). I saw three areas where this occured-one was in the first city in the north. The others flew by so fast I can't remember where they were. The attacks occured during the arty phase, but was not accompanied by an arty message. It appeared to be large caliber arty or satchel charge b/c of the graphic. I never took any damage from the attacks even though light trucks were in the same hex, just massive suppression. I don't know what it was.

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 3
- 2/2/2001 8:38:00 PM   
Tiger

I have to agree with you on the OB Artillery, Bill. I supported my forces in the scenario JKG is speaking of with 8 inch guns. In short, it was the coup de gras. I laid the town flat, and the German infantry within the town was annihilated. I must confess that was after the hard lesson learned of trying to assault the town with virtually no arty or armored support. Hard lessons learned, but I learn fast!!

I ain't no golden boy,
ain't no Grecian dancer,
and I ain't no loud mouth cowboy from the West...
I'm not the kind of man with all the answers, but I surely know the songs that suit me best.... LL

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 4
- 2/3/2001 4:05:00 AM   
Alby

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill: [B]Your strategy was very sound, JKG! Congratulations. 2. I don't know about these satchel charge attacks. There were no special forces in the battle. Unless German units were there undetected. Did you ever see them? There were some special ops troops I thought?? at least there was in mine

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 5
- 2/3/2001 6:29:00 AM   
Bing

Surprise attacks depend a great deal upon your "Searching" level: You can try turning up the US Searching in U2R anywhere between 150 to 200 per cent. YOu may not feel this is "fair", my feeling is my airborne guys didn't get as far as they did without being pretty darn good at developing their observation skills, as well as rooting the enemy out of the underbrush. I had German Spec Ops tuen up at the edge of the map, suddenly they were in the same hex as one of my Shermans, since I always have interlocking fire whenever possiblel, they didn't last long. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 6
- 2/4/2001 1:36:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Pesky little devils can spoil your day! WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 7
- 2/4/2001 2:59:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Pesky little devils can spoil your day! WB
The sort of odd thing about it was, I had expected the SpecOps would assault, that would be the way I would know they were there. Not so. Didn't happen that way: They simply showed up in the same hex, like they were on vacation, enjoying the scenery. Dead meat. If they HAD tried an assault it must have failed. I believe I did not at that stage have the US Searching pumped up, either. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to JKG)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to Rhine Opening Scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI