Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Volunteers for UV article

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Volunteers for UV article Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Volunteers for UV article - 12/17/2002 3:55:59 AM   
Michael Peck

I am the editor of The Military Book Review ([url]www.themilitarybookreview.com[/url]). Though we are a book review site, we would like to take wargames and use them to explain a given battle to a non-gaming audience.

What we are looking for is for someone to submit a replay of a UV game that would illustrate the historical campaign. Chances are some readers will be gamers, but the emphasis is using the game as a teaching tool for military history.

Obviously this is good publicity for UV as well as a chance to expose military history buffs to wargaming.

Michael Peck
Editor
The Military Book Review
http://www.themilitarybookreview.com
[email]editor@themilitarybookreview.com[/email]

Post #: 1
- 12/17/2002 9:02:30 AM   
Deathifier

It sounds interesting, just curious about a couple of points.

quote:

What we are looking for is for someone to submit a replay of a UV game that would illustrate the historical campaign.

What exactly do you mean by 'replay'?

The game provides no ongoing replay of the action over multiple turns, the best you could do is save the game before the end of each turn.

However with over 600 turns in the longest campaign that will be pushing over 200MB of data, not to mention the hassle of working out how to do something with it :)

If you want to demonstrate the historical scenario you would need to find someone or two players trying to follow history to the letter, and hoping any current problems with UV don't mess it up completely :/

quote:

but the emphasis is using the game as a teaching tool for military history

The best way to do that is actually play the game, you will find that players tend to pickup quite a bit of useful info regarding supply problems, fuel problems, uses of different ships, carrier warfare, sneaky subs and the problems with taking down well defended bases.

The AI will give beginners a new start, but some of its problems can become obvious quickly and the human nature of exploiting the situation for maximum gain will lead to very amusing but ahistorical situations :)

Anyway I still think it is a great idea, if you have a better idea of just what you want I'm sure people around here will be happy to help you out!

- Deathifier

(in reply to Michael Peck)
Post #: 2
- 12/17/2002 12:02:26 PM   
NefariousKoel

I think he is probably looking for an After Action Report with screenshots and narrative. Nice and easy to put up on the site.

If this is what you want Michael, let me know. I doubt it would be anything historically accurate, but a 'what if' situation.

Post #: 3
I nominate Mogami!!! - 12/17/2002 12:50:48 PM   
gus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael Peck
[B]I am the editor of The Military Book Review ([url]
What we are looking for is for someone to submit a replay of a UV game that would illustrate the historical campaign. Chances are some readers will be gamers, but the emphasis is using the game as a teaching tool for military history.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Michael,

The person you should be talking to is Mogami. Not only does he possess an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the campaign in the South Pacific (as well as UV) but he is also an excellent writer and I could see him writing many articles on this subject using UV as an educational/illustrative tool.

Cheers

Gus

Post #: 4
- 12/17/2002 6:51:52 PM   
Deathifier

I second gus's suggestion - Mogami has shown a very deep commitment to the game and time era.

Hell he was planning a campaign BEFORE the game was released, using whatever notes he could find both for the game and for the time period in general :)

All you have to do is drag him away from his 20 PBEM games and you'll be right ;)

- Deathifier
"Me, make numbers up, nah ;)"

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Volunteers for UV article Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI