Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

the anti-aircraft penalty

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> the anti-aircraft penalty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
the anti-aircraft penalty - 12/18/2002 6:47:18 AM   
gnuseditor

Question: I know that there is anti-aircraft penalty for TF's of 10 ships or above; my question is, what exactly IS the penalty? Is it that each additional ship only gets a certain percentage of its AA number, or is that the actual total number for the task force decreases? Sorry, I'm having a hard time explaining this; maybe if I made an example it would be clearer.

Example: Task Force 1 has 9 ships with a total AA of, lets say, 1000. If I add a DD with an AA of 100, putting the TF over its limit, does the penalty come as:

• TF now has a total AA of 950, less than it did originally, because of the penalty

or

• TF now has an total AA of, say, 1050, as only a percentage of the added DD's AA is allowed, not its whole allotment.

Thanks folks, in advance!

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves
----------------------------------------
Post #: 1
- 12/18/2002 12:34:14 PM   
Feinder

It is my UNDERSTANDING that the "penalty" is applied to each individual ship OVER the limit of 10.

So if you've got ships with AAA values of
Total = 1200

And you want to add 2 more ships of

It's going to give you the benefit of making the most use of the 2 new 200pt ships, giving your new TF an AAA rating of
100 x 90% = 90
100 x 90% = 90
Total = 1580

Don't know if the reduction is actually 10% for every ship over 10. Or it may be 10% for the first ship over 10, and 15% for the 11th or some other graduated scheme. Don't know, probably only Matrix or Beta Tester actually knows the algorithm.

The "diminishing return" is probably to simulate a ship on the edge of an ever-widening oval that is a TF. The more ships you have, the wider the oval, the less likely that a ship on the perimeter is actually going to contribute it AAA to an attack (because it's on the wrong side of the oval).

Still 1580 Flak is alot better than 1200 (if the algorithm is correct, which it likely isn't). And you also want to consider NOT packing 20 ships in a TF, because you're GONNA get spotted (unless that's what you want).

Again, I'm just spouting what makes sense to me. I -really- don't have any idea what the actual algorithm is.
-F-

(in reply to gnuseditor)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> the anti-aircraft penalty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI