Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 2:54:13 PM   
Centuur

Lets put things in perspective please? We've got a developer who's had a lot of bad luck in the last year. He probably didn't get three months work out of the last 15 months. Effectively, this means there is a year delay on getting the game on the market.
So it's time to start praying that Steve hasn't to do any more visits to hospitals and medical personell regarding his health and that he can go back to getting the job done, without giving him to much stress about this.

Patience please... (and I'm really an impatient man, however, I have to be patience...). AI will be coming, as will the rest of the optional rules and the full multiplayer function, I believe. Perhaps not at first, but later...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 11/21/2012 2:55:49 PM >

Peter

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2941
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 3:21:57 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Lets put things in perspective please? We've got a developer who's had a lot of bad luck in the last year. He probably didn't get three months work out of the last 15 months. Effectively, this means there is a year delay on getting the game on the market.
So it's time to start praying that Steve hasn't to do any more visits to hospitals and medical personell regarding his health and that he can go back to getting the job done, without giving him to much stress about this.

Patience please... (and I'm really an impatient man, however, I have to be patience...). AI will be coming, as will the rest of the optional rules and the full multiplayer function, I believe. Perhaps not at first, but later...

You people from HOORN oooofa! "But later" these are two words that don't sit well with me at my age if I was 50 it might be all right but I am a lot older than that.

Bo

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2942
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 3:33:05 PM   
bo

Paul I believe that without you beta testers this game would be no wheres, I did not mean to leave out the beta testers in my comments nor were you knocking me for that. I have my personal feelings that have never left me about the time this game has taken. I tried to put my feelings aside and become part of the beta team in my own very limited ways.

But every once in a while those feelings surface and they spill out of me, as my wife often said to me, did you ever hear of the word TACT one of my major faults.

Bo

(in reply to marklv)
Post #: 2943
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 4:02:08 PM   
bo

I knew the moment I brought up the AI there would be comments made about that [the AI].

At least the comments were not nasty like two years ago. Some years ago when I started playing COD2 I played against the AI for years all the time. It was great because each time I failed I knew where the Germans were the next time. My son talked me into playing on line against human opponents and I quickly became cannon fodder

One of the major complaints about playing on line against good world players was who could play and when, even though I will never go back to the AI it is still a problem.

I believe by listening to all you WIF players that the only way to play this game is by net play or hot seat, I get it honestly.

This is not a knock on Steve but I do not believe that a game of this complexity and scope can have a decent AI, but for practice and learning purposes of tactics and the many rules involved even a mediocre AI would be an invaluable help to the general war gaming world that purchases this game.

I do realize that unless the MWIF computer game is finished there will be no AI. I will try to never talk about the AI again MAYBE!

I will try to help Steve and the beta testers with limited knowledge. but I can do grunt work like I did with ROB on net play if that would help. I am dedicated to this game even if it does not sound like it at times.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/21/2012 4:04:51 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2944
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 4:19:12 PM   
Centuur

Bo, please remind us from time to time that an AI is needed. I think it is...

Apart from that, you can learn WiF by playing the Axis side as the inexperienced player against players who know what to do. That's still fun to do (and also sometimes quite interesting for experienced players, since you might get a nice surprise to counter). No WiF game is the same, whoever the players. Granted: it will be very difficult for a newbie to win, but hey: he will have fun playing the first part of the war.

I hope you will go against me, if MWIF goes on the market. It is so many years ago that I've played it, it might be interesting.

Peter

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2945
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 5:24:49 PM   
composer99

I would say that, in the worst case, if Steve's health does not allow him to continue development work down the road, that the emphasis on careful documentation he has made make it feasible that another developer could take up the torch and carry on.

I say worst case because I hope it won't come to that.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2946
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 6:22:37 PM   
Anendrue

Hey Bo, I also agree on the AI. While I strongly defend Steve and Matrix concerning the time needed for development. The game must eventually have an AI to be successfull. So a little bit of heat to the fire is a good thing for warmth. I just don't want to see a bonfire as they easily get out of control.

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99
I would say that, in the worst case, if Steve's health does not allow him to continue development work down the road, that the emphasis on careful documentation he has made make it feasible that another developer could take up the torch and carry on.

I agree Steve shames every software developer I ever knew when it comes to careful documentation.
Steve, how many notebooks are you up to now?

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 2947
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 6:53:46 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Hey Bo, I also agree on the AI. While I strongly defend Steve and Matrix concerning the time needed for development. The game must eventually have an AI to be successfull. So a little bit of heat to the fire is a good thing for warmth. I just don't want to see a bonfire as they easily get out of control.

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

I agree Steve shames every software developer I ever knew when it comes to careful documentation.
Steve, how many notebooks are you up to now?

abj, I promise no more bonfires as I still show scald marks on my skin from last time .

Is PBEM going to be put into the game?

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/21/2012 7:06:37 PM >

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 2948
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 7:04:32 PM   
bo

quote:

Bo, please remind us from time to time that an AI is needed. I think it is...

Apart from that, you can learn WiF by playing the Axis side as the inexperienced player against players who know what to do. That's still fun to do (and also sometimes quite interesting for experienced players, since you might get a nice surprise to counter). No WiF game is the same, whoever the players. Granted: it will be very difficult for a newbie to win, but hey: he will have fun playing the first part of the war.

I hope you will go against me, if MWIF goes on the market. It is so many years ago that I've played it, it might be interesting.

Oh I will, actually believe it or not I am a pretty easing going person, I am a little naive as I have trusted that players in Cod2 do not cheat but now if they beat me they must be cheating Oh well! I will play you only if you allow me to have Orm as my commander

Bo

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2949
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 7:23:34 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

Bo

Uhm, that requires a response from Steve. Our NDA precludes from commenting yes, no, or otherwise.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2950
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 7:40:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Bo

Uhm, that requires a response from Steve. Our NDA precludes from commenting yes, no, or otherwise.
warspite1

Er abj9562, I hope you read your NDA before making that remark.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 2951
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 8:07:22 PM   
Anendrue

I don't know if yours is different than mine. However I did not disclose anything about MWiF. I just said ask Steve. So what are you getting at? PM me if you need to.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2952
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 8:28:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I don't know if yours is different than mine. However I did not disclose anything about MWiF. I just said ask Steve. So what are you getting at? PM me if you need to.
warspite1

I thought you would have understood the humour Sorry if you thought I was serious.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 2953
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 8:39:48 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

Bo

Oops! I am so used to comment about the game on the beta forums I sometimes forget I should not do that here. I stand corrected and I apologize for any comments I have made but if I am not mistaken I believe several of the game elements have been discussed here, could be wrong and thank you abj for reminding me of the NDA I signed. Deeply appreciated.

Bo

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 2954
RE: When? - 11/21/2012 9:01:21 PM   
Anendrue

@warspoite 1

I just missed the humor. Lately I have missed a lot. I really need the holidays to recharge.

@Bo
You didn't do anything wrong. I just redirected it to where it needed to go. Oh and yes, a lot of elements have been discussed here. However, I can no longer remember what has and hasn't been discussed. With a little luck MWiF will be out before I become totaly senile.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2955
RE: When? - 11/22/2012 7:38:03 PM   
CrusssDaddy

Man, this has turned into a dark place. Depressing. Even the Matrix Militia now sniping within ranks about dopey NDAs and perceived shortcomings in faith to the party line. Poor abj6969 can't even take a joke anymore, his 1000-yard stare is a haunting prelude to a complete PTSD breakdown.

Steve is not going to complete this game, not even a nerfed no-A.I. version. It simply is not going to happen - it's okay to admit the inevitable, doing so is simply an admission of the facts, the steepening trajectory of non-development, and not a slam on Steve. The best case scenario is that Failtrix puts an actual team on the job, but that is unlikely because they clearly don't give a ****. I mean guys, seriously... when you clear away the good wishes and hopeful thoughts and high regard for hard work and our enthusiasm for WiF itself, whats left? Do you have a line at which the importance of results jumps ahead of everything else?

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 2956
RE: When? - 11/22/2012 7:39:25 PM   
CrusssDaddy

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving to my fellow 'Murcans.

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 2957
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 12:25:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

Man, this has turned into a dark place. Depressing. Even the Matrix Militia now sniping within ranks about dopey NDAs and perceived shortcomings in faith to the party line. Poor abj6969 can't even take a joke anymore, his 1000-yard stare is a haunting prelude to a complete PTSD breakdown.

Steve is not going to complete this game, not even a nerfed no-A.I. version. It simply is not going to happen - it's okay to admit the inevitable, doing so is simply an admission of the facts, the steepening trajectory of non-development, and not a slam on Steve. The best case scenario is that Failtrix puts an actual team on the job, but that is unlikely because they clearly don't give a ****. I mean guys, seriously... when you clear away the good wishes and hopeful thoughts and high regard for hard work and our enthusiasm for WiF itself, whats left? Do you have a line at which the importance of results jumps ahead of everything else?

Your cheerfulness is so wonderfully consistent. I just hope that you have the same opinions every time that you look in a mirror.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 2958
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 2:41:38 AM   
tigercub

the green button...steve

< Message edited by tigercub -- 11/23/2012 2:44:50 AM >

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2959
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 2:51:02 AM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Your cheerfulness is so wonderfully consistent. I just hope that you have the same opinions every time that you look in a mirror.

Am I out of line to lack cheer re: your progress after nearly a decade of work? If you were looking for another job, would this go on your resume? The basket beneath the guillotine is spilling over with victims of the chopping block: scenarios cut to a ridiculous handful, no A.I., optional rules missing... I'm sure there's more I haven't bothered to remember? The graphics are atrocious. There is no shame (well, perhaps a little) in admitting you bit off more than you could chew, and that Matrixster's support and dedication to this project has been abysmal.

You preside over a failure, partially of your own making and having nothing to do with recent health woes. Perhaps it's time to step away? Or have you lashed yourself to the wheel?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2960
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 3:11:24 AM   
tigercub

Sh.T i for got to green button the pice of dunny rapper! aarrr its done now ...

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Post #: 2961
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 9:30:32 AM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

quote:

quote:

Am I out of line to lack cheer re: your progress after nearly a decade of work? If you were looking for another job, would this go on your resume? The basket beneath the guillotine is spilling over with victims of the chopping block: scenarios cut to a ridiculous handful, no A.I., optional rules missing... I'm sure there's more I haven't bothered to remember? The graphics are atrocious. There is no shame (well, perhaps a little) in admitting you bit off more than you could chew, and that Matrixster's support and dedication to this project has been abysmal.

You preside over a failure, partially of your own making and having nothing to do with recent health woes. Perhaps it's time to step away? Or have you lashed yourself to the wheel?

just a question..

have you ever opened the game ????

because I can tell you that I play this game daily. the game is playable and if I really want to find new bugs I have produce situations that are really unlikely.

if steve had not missed 6 month with health issues. the game would have been out now.

so I would start saving up vacation time because the game is really, really good

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

Post #: 2962
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 4:36:11 PM   
bo

Steve I know it is hard to ignore him [crussdaddy] but please try harder. The obvious thing I see here is he is still lurking, peeking around the corner hoping for the release of this game.

Matrixster's,Failtrix, Matrix militia, guillotine chopping block, lashed yourself to a wheel? picking on abj who is the most positive poster here, Murcans, nerfed AI [meaning AI for the nerf BO] I am shocked, shocked [from Casablanca] I cannot believe that you thought all of this up by yourself, come on own up Crussdaddy.

I know I am alone in this one but you break me up, really you are good with the quips, I would bet that if you apologized to all of the dedicated Wifer's here and decide to help us by becoming a beta tester for Matrix and Steve, Steve would gladly give you a week vacation in his Honolulu condo. I mean come on Steve that condo is all done being refurbished by now, Right?

Bo

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2963
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 5:38:15 PM   
Centuur

quote:

Did you make any constructive contribution to the development of this game? Probably not... If you did, than I will make excuses now for what I'm going to write here:

Get out of here and never come back! You're abusive!

Peter

Post #: 2964
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 5:44:08 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving to my fellow 'Murcans.

Quick somebody call the hacking police. Someone stole Crussdaddy's account. I know this because this quote actually approaches being nice.

Post #: 2965
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 5:52:18 PM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

quote:

quote:

quote:

just a question..

have you ever opened the game ????

because I can tell you that I play this game daily. the game is playable and if I really want to find new bugs I have produce situations that are really unlikely.

if steve had not missed 6 month with health issues. the game would have been out now.

so I would start saving up vacation time because the game is really, really good

Matrash and Steve were not needed to create a playable WiF game -- we already had CWiF. The current iteration of MWiF is functionally identical to CWiF. The version of MWiF that is on track to not be released is no different, save for two unwelcome distinctions: it will cost money and it will not include the Edit Mode that allows you to create your own scenarios or interrupt scenario play to embark upon fanciful "What If?" games or undo the bugs that periodically crop up.

I mean, if you want to get sprung because the graphics have been tweaked and there's a complete user manual and unit bios I guess it will be a very Merry Christmas if MWiF is ever released, but after nearly a decade of "work" this game has not changed in any substantive way.

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 2966
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 6:08:56 PM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

quote:

Did you make any constructive contribution to the development of this game? Probably not... If you did, than I will make excuses now for what I'm going to write here:

I am not a playtester, if that's what you mean. I have periodically contributed to the opinion threads re: maps and optional rules and so forth, but I presume that falls below your threshold of value. I have answered some questions on the threads that talk specifically about CWiF, which I have played exhaustively. If yours is the quaint and disreputable opinion that commentary or criticism should be restricted to the tiny circle of intimates involved directly in the production-testing of the game, then you of course may regard my input as unworthy.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 2967
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 6:37:06 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not a playtester, if that's what you mean. I have periodically contributed to the opinion threads re: maps and optional rules and so forth, but I presume that falls below your threshold of value. I have answered some questions on the threads that talk specifically about CWiF, which I have played exhaustively. If yours is the quaint and disreputable opinion that commentary or criticism should be restricted to the tiny circle of intimates involved directly in the production-testing of the game, then you of course may regard my input as unworthy.

Criticism should be productive and not counterproductive. Where's the constructive side in the post I quoted? Can Steve or testers or anyone in this forum get anything positive out of this writing? It isn't there. If it isn't there, why post it, Crussdaddy? To make people angry or to put your frustrations in writing?
You may be disappointed. You may write so here. But to write: "Steve is not going to complete this game, not even a nerfed no-A.I. version" looks to me as an insult to the people contributing this.
When this comes unto the market (and I'm pretty positive it will go to the market) you are probably going to sit quiet in a corner here and buy it. Well: the first thing I'm going to do in this forum if MWIF hits the market is to ask you to make your excuses public here. Not to me. No, I'm not important, but to Steve!

Peter

Post #: 2968
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 6:43:30 PM   
yvesp

quote:

Go there in his place, retrieve an old undocumented code that you are forced to straighten(instead of starting from scratch, which would have been much more sensible), do this alone with no support.

Then, and only then if you do better, we'll praise your skills and will have earned our respect.
At this point, all you prove is that obviously you know not a single thing about programming.

Yves

Post #: 2969
RE: When? - 11/23/2012 6:52:23 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

Matrash and Steve were not needed to create a playable WiF game -- we already had CWiF. The current iteration of MWiF is functionally identical to CWiF. The version of MWiF that is on track to not be released is no different, save for two unwelcome distinctions: it will cost money and it will not include the Edit Mode that allows you to create your own scenarios or interrupt scenario play to embark upon fanciful "What If?" games or undo the bugs that periodically crop up.

I mean, if you want to get sprung because the graphics have been tweaked and there's a complete user manual and unit bios I guess it will be a very Merry Christmas if MWiF is ever released, but after nearly a decade of "work" this game has not changed in any substantive way.

And you know this because you are a beta tester or somepone developing the game or content in somw way?

quote:

Ah here we have it. An open admission that what you are stating is an opinion on something you are not actively involved in with the exception of making some minor albeit needed contributions. Otherwise the vast majority of your posta are opiniated statements without substantiation or authority?

If you want to get involved pleae quit trolling and make a positive contribution. It's obvious to most of us that you want to participate. So why not do so in a meanigful and positive way. Bo keeps reminding us an AI is necessary and needed. He does so in a way that keeps us on our toes without being mean or spitefull. If you feel the game needs to be pushed out sooner we probably all can agree to different amounts on that issue. However we don't want to burn the house down while we keep a warm fire burning towards a goal we want to see completed.

Post #: 2970
Page:   <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI