Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

There are Levels of building?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> There are Levels of building? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
There are Levels of building? - 4/3/2000 11:12:00 PM   
taka

Hello.I post from Japan. Are there a rule about levels of buildings? I want to play a tactical games like Squad Leader(AH). But many tactical computer games has no rule about levels of buildings! So I have not enjoyed city fight like Stalingrad. Sorry for my poor english.

Post #: 1
- 4/4/2000 6:41:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

SP:WaW is looking at battles one echelon up from Combat Mission. CM is best with several Companies on a side with the player playing at the Company Commander level - much larger than that and the "micromanagement" of individual tanks and squads tends to get tedious. At that level worrying about what floor your troops are on makes sense (but even CM only does two "levels") SP:WaW is aimed at the player being the Battlion level commander with a couple Battalions perhaps in play per side. It is also aimed at more a "Point and click" movement, without worrying about detailing the exact path and segment speed and turns each vehicle will take - or which floor your troops are on. Which game you like will tend on the type of engagement you feel like fighting and the time you want to invest. IF you are a fan of ASL, I reccommend Virtual Advanced Squad Leader, a play aid the lets you play ASL via the internet! http://vasl.thegamers.net/index.asp

(in reply to taka)
Post #: 2
- 4/4/2000 2:35:00 PM   
cragwolf

That's your 3rd post about Combat Mission, Ol' Blood and Guts. This forum is called "Steel Panthers World At War". It's OK to recommend other wargames, but a simple sentence and link will do. Not large pictures, detailed descriptions, and new messages. So let's all stick to the topic. Oh God, my first post on this forum and I'm already chastising forum members! cragwolf;

(in reply to taka)
Post #: 3
- 4/4/2000 6:11:00 PM   
O de B

I agree with cragwolf. Combat Mission will be great, but i think it's not the same game as SP series... We will not be able to play a long campaign for the whole war, with different countries than germany/western allies. And maybe it's a bit too realistic : i find it fun in SP to take a battalion of green troops and watch them becoming elite soldiers through the campaign

(in reply to taka)
Post #: 4
- 4/4/2000 9:36:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

I edited the graphic back to a link. I appreciate your enthusiasm for CM, but please no large off-topic graphics embedded in posts! Folks who want a peek just have to clik...I kept your link!
quote:

Ahemm, Combat Mission originally started out as Virtual Advanced Squad Leader!
Well, sort of...But it rapidly diverged to something quite cool, but having nothing whatever to do with ASL. Like I said, if you want ASL, - REAL ASL - check out The virtual ASL link above. CM, as battlefront will tell you, share's nothing in common with ASL. To some folks "realism" is being able to "be" everywhere on the battlefield directing the minutest detail of every units action. Others find this boring tedium. Others like to see gory details of weapon interactions, still others, to track the fates of their troops through a campaign. Others look more to the progress of the battle as a whole, not paying much attention to individual combats. Realism is in the eye of the holder, and one man's realism is another's unneeded complication. SP:WaW is much broader in scope than CM, but somewhat less detailed. That will attract some, but not others. The great thing is, that folks get to choose!

(in reply to taka)
Post #: 5
- 4/5/2000 7:42:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Gentlemen, Allow me to make one comment pertaining to Combat Mission and I'll make no more. I've been involved with CM since its Alpha Version. I coordinated the scenario testing for all the battles and operations that were done for the game. I've worked closely with Steve Grammont and Charles Moylan for nearly a year now and have the greatest respect for both of them. Its a great game. Its focus, as has been pointed out so aptly by Paul Vebber, is low level, squad level, perhaps a company or two. It is not, however, Steel Panthers. Both are great games. There is a forum both at TGN and At Battlefront to discuss Combat Mission. Steel Panthers affords the player a real "hands-on" type of game where one can control so many choices. This is not only true in deployment and movement, but also in the actual fighting. You get to pick which tank you will fire upon, if you will or won't assault the pillbox, if you want to move adjacent to that mysterious building. And you live with the consequences, good or bad. I love Steel Panthers. I have been involved with each version as it was created and tested. I still am. And I have not lost one iota of enthusiasm for the game. Steel Panthers World at War is the best yet,no doubt about it. You will be very thrilled to add this game to your repertoire of electonic conflict. ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator of Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to taka)
Post #: 6
- 4/7/2000 1:36:00 AM   
Mark_Ezra

I expect that many of us follow the upcoming CM as well as SPW@W. There is no need at all to debate which is "better". Two different games. Both of which I intend to enjoy to the fullest. As all wargamers know, we are a VERY small percentage of the market with wants and needs very difficult to meet by large game companies. That there are gamers like the Camo group, Matrix, and CM willing to invest time and resources to produce the very best games they can should be meet with with huzzahs, cheers, attaboys and Right Ons! by us all.

(in reply to taka)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> There are Levels of building? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI