Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Field Artillery Manuals and Such ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Field Artillery Manuals and Such ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Field Artillery Manuals and Such ... - 2/3/2001 10:55:00 AM   
Bing

Gentlemen - Despite some rather heavy web surfing, I have yet to run across a source for field manuals and other technical information concerning the US Army Field Artillery during WW2. Any sources - URL's, book stores, whatver - would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is OT, you can reply to: Byron Inglesh bing2@avcil.net

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Post #: 1
- 2/3/2001 11:02:00 AM   
Don

Give Byron a hand if you can - this info is for the tutorial project and so will help alot of people. Thanks, Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 2
- 2/3/2001 11:34:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

I am soon (15 Feb) leaving to attend the Field Artillery Officer's Advanced Course at Fort Sill Oklahoma. The school's library has a vast array of material covering United States Artillery from it's inception to the present. If you let me know what info you seek, I can research it for you and provide the info. If you desire, I can provide copies of the pages of pertinent material. Let me know, I am more than willing to assist.

CaptainBrian

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 3
- 2/3/2001 12:03:00 PM   
Randy

CaptainBrian, I know this is a WWII post, but when you get back from Sill could you share some info (non-classified of course) on the XM777, and the Marine Corps HIMARS with us? Good luck at Fort Sill. Show the Army that the Marines can put more accurate steel on target!! Thanks Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 4
- 2/3/2001 12:07:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Anything you can find out about specific TT&P from the period would much appreciated!!

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 5
- 2/3/2001 12:18:00 PM   
CaptainBrian

I look forward to assisting in providing information about the old (WWII) and the new (HIMARS, XM-777) !!!!

CaptainBrian

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 6
- 2/3/2001 12:43:00 PM   
Elvis

check out: Military Info Publishing They will have what you are looking for - I've used them before, reasonable prices, excellent quality... ------------------ People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 7
- 2/3/2001 12:53:00 PM   
orc4hire

Page 16 of this PDF lists the relevent manuals for the period. http://carlisle-www.army.mil/cgi-bin/usamhi/DL/showdoc.pl?docnum=454 The PDF is rather large, and I'm not sure how much it will help you.... This one specifically talks about artillery use, infantry artillery teams, and such. It's one of the 9 Combat Lessons pamphlets available there. http://carlisle-www.army.mil/cgi-bin/usamhi/DL/showdoc.pl?docnum=18 The rest can be found at http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/DL/chron.htm#AWorldWarII19391945. They're scans of 1944 vintage pamphlets, so the quality is a bit iffy, and I haven't looked at all of them, but they look interesting. The Army's Center of Military History publshes the following: "KING OF BATTLE: A BRANCH HISTORY OF THE U.S. ARMY'S FIELD ARTILLERY (gen. eds. Henry O. Malone and John L. Romjue) by Boyd L. Dastrup. (1992; first CMH ed. 1993; 381 pp., tables, illustrations, appendixes, bibliography, glossary, index). CMH Pub 70-27, paper. A comprehensive history of the development of field artillery in the U.S. Army since colonial times. The study focuses on the tactical, organization, materiel, and training lessons learned-both of wartime action and of peacetime planning-in the larger framework of American military policy and strategy." That's all I know about it. Hmm... what else..... the folks at Field Artillery Magazine might be able to help. http://sill-www.army.mil/FAMAG/ That's all I can come up with off the cuff. I'll do a little more poking around and see what I can find.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 8
- 2/3/2001 12:57:00 PM   
Elvis

I should have clarified a bit -- the company that I mentioned specializes in photocopies of period field manuals, training manuals, TO&Es, etc. They have a ton of FA-related stuff... ------------------ People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell [This message has been edited by Elvis (edited February 03, 2001).]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 9
- 2/3/2001 1:02:00 PM   
Tankhead

Thank you for all the links guys. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1

Tankhead

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 10
- 2/3/2001 1:03:00 PM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by CaptainBrian: I am soon (15 Feb) leaving to attend the Field Artillery Officer's Advanced Course at Fort Sill Oklahoma. The school's library has a vast array of material covering United States Artillery from it's inception to the present. If you let me know what info you seek, I can research it for you and provide the info. If you desire, I can provide copies of the pages of pertinent material. Let me know, I am more than willing to assist.
Capt - Your profile doens't include an e-mail address. In order not to overload the message board, would you please e-mail me at: bing2@avci.net Elvis (thank you, sir) has provided me with a web site I haven't seen before, which sells photocopies of what appear to be nearly every field manual produced by the US Army. I need to be pointed in the right direction, rather than ordering tons of manuals I won't be able to use. Thank you one and all for your generous assistance, youse guys ARE the greatest!! Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 11
- 2/3/2001 1:20:00 PM   
orc4hire

Bing, It looks like "FM 6-20 Field Artillery Field Manual. Tactics and Technique (1940)(+Change 1); 193 pages, 10 illus. Price 20.00 {Item No.3408}" would be the most useful one (Interesting site, Elvis), but I'm just guessing. Hmm.... you'd think the cannon cockers would have a library and people who know this stuff, wouldn't you? You might try contacting the Ft. Sills Public Affairs Office. http://sill-www.army.mil/doim/Staff_Dir/PAO/PAO.html They may at least be able to point you in the right direction.

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 12
- 2/4/2001 1:41:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

Bing, Sorry about that. I have updated, now have my e-mail posted.

CaptainBrian

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 13
- 2/4/2001 2:18:00 PM   
Randy

CaptainBrian, thanks for your reply, we all greatly appreciate it. Thanks and good luck. Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Bing)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Field Artillery Manuals and Such ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI